Joe D comments on Fergy's analysis

Buftex

Well you're both kind of right.

787271[/snapback]

Parrish adjusted his route because of the particular blitz and went to the spot vacated. Losman saw it, made the hot read, and threw to the spot immediately. That is changing the play because of what happened. It doesn't really become "a hot read" unless you're making an adjustment. Which is what Losman was referring to when he discussed the play.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fergy still sucked! Put JP behind the Electric Company with OJ & those receivers, and you would've seen more than 1 measly playoff game against the Squeelers AND the Felons wouldn't have gone 20-0 against the Bills in the 70's. JP is no Marangi. :D

787213[/snapback]

So JP is already better than Fergy or Drew? :doh::w00t::huh:

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Another post today likened him to Elway.

Dontcha think we should wait and see? :P

Fergy did what he needed to in that offense, and that was to manage the game, hand off to OJ and not lose.

787276[/snapback]

Wow, the revisionist history going on here...this is an accurate statement for Fergusons first season. After Simpson left, which is a significant portion of Fergusons Bills career, the offense revolved around him. The team had the two best seasons in history, post AFL championships, under Feruguson. He wasn't merely handing the ball off to Joe Cribbs those years either. The Bills had a potent passing game...Ferguson was among the leauge leaders in passing for a number of years.

Anyway, so it is all becoming clearer...Ferguson was a head hanging loser, so that proves that JP Losman does not have a tendancy to lock onto receivers! Got it!

You guys are awesome....the wealth of knowledge around here amazes me somedays...gotta go down to the newsstand and pick up Tiger-Beat...I hope they have a poster of JP in the middle, Bobby Sherman is yucky!

So JP is already better than Fergy or Drew?  :doh:  :w00t:  :huh:

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Another post today likened him to Elway.

Dontcha think we should wait and see?  :P

787297[/snapback]

I'm no JP fanboy, but I'd rather take my chances & start him in a big game than proven failures like Drew or Fergy. :D:D

I said greatest Bills fan. I always resented him when I read that story. There are times when I am a grudgekeeper, and usually when it comes to affecting the Bills. I read that a long time ago, although it was years after Kelly had been on the team. He said that he spoke with Fergy who told him the weather would affect his career. Which was total bullschit of course, because Fergy played for 17 seasons, including up until he was 41.

787266[/snapback]

Do you begrudge Willis McGahee and Roscoe Parrish, because they don't like snow? Something to think about for later on...does the fact that Jim Kelly didn't want to play in Buffalo, and was very vocal about it, make you have a little hard spot on your heart for him?

Don't forget, Fergy played in Tampa Bay, Detroit and Indianapolis...a sun belt team, and two dome teams...maybe that helped prolong his career?

Wow, the revisionist history going on here...this is an accurate statement for Fergusons first season.  After Simpson left, which is a significant portion of Fergusons Bills career, the offense revolved around him.  The team had the two best seasons in history, post AFL championships, under Feruguson.  He wasn't merely handing the ball off to Joe Cribbs those years either.  The Bills had a potent passing game...Ferguson was among the leauge leaders in passing for a number of years.

787301[/snapback]

Peyton Gump is also among the league leaders in passing, & even holds a record or two. Like Fergy, I still wouldn't want him QB-ing my team in a big game.

Wow, the revisionist history going on here...this is an accurate statement for Fergusons first season.  After Simpson left, which is a significant portion of Fergusons Bills career, the offense revolved around him.  The team had the two best seasons in history, post AFL championships, under Feruguson.  He wasn't merely handing the ball off to Joe Cribbs those years either.  The Bills had a potent passing game...Ferguson was among the leauge leaders in passing for a number of years.

Anyway, so it is all becoming clearer...Ferguson was a head hanging loser, so that proves that JP Losman does not have a tendancy to lock onto receivers!  Got it!

You guys are awesome....the wealth of knowledge around here amazes me somedays...gotta go down to the newsstand and pick up Tiger-Beat...I hope they have a poster of JP in the middle, Bobby Sherman is yucky!

787301[/snapback]

In his career, Ferguson threw more interceptions than touchdowns, with a mediocre %, and YPC. That's not good. I think he had a losing record overall. He played on as many good teams as bad teams. The early-mid 70s Bills were pretty good. The early Bills 80s teams were very good. He almost always had pretty good WRs. He was simply an average QB, was never great, was sometimes lousy. He had a very good arm and IMO a ten-cent head, and it wasn't only from hanging it. I even liked him as a player and followed the team extremely closely, and saw most every game he ever played for the Bills.

This is actually a VERY easy issue to verify.

If JP locks onto his primary receiver, he'll be intercepted and/or sacked quite frequently.  If he was doing it against the Jets, the Vikings' veteran secondary will feast on him.  But I'm guessing this isn't the case, because we would've seen more INTs by now - the one he did throw on Sunday was his first of the year, and it had nothing to do with locking on - it was simply a stupid decision to loft a duck into double coverage.  Inexcusable, but for different reasons.

That INT was because he got hit and couldn't step into his throw because of pressure in his face, and the wind doing the rest.

Do you hate Willis McGahee, because he doesn't like snow?  Something to think about for later on...

787306[/snapback]

To my knowledge, Willis will play in snow. He likes Buffalo. He says he likes the coaching staff. He is good friends with Ralph. If they pay him there is a decent chance he will re-sign. I have no idea the comparison you're making.

fergy played twelve seasons in the snow in Buffalo, and then was not shot as he went on to play 5 more on other teams. You should probably give it a rest if you're trying to make a point that snow actually shortened Joe Ferguson's career, which is what he implied to Kelly.

To my knowledge, Willis will play in snow. He likes Buffalo. He says he likes the coaching staff. He is good friends with Ralph. If they pay him there is a decent chance he will re-sign. I have no idea the comparison you're making.

fergy played twelve seasons in the snow in Buffalo, and then was not shot as he went on to play 5 more on other teams. You should probably give it a rest if you're trying to make a point that snow actually shortened Joe Ferguson's career, which is what he implied to Kelly.

787321[/snapback]

I was just trying to illustrate the absurd depths that some of you are going to, to defend JP...when he really doesn't need to be defended...he is what he is, a good, and improving NFL QB, who still has some flaws...nothing Ferguson is purported to have said, is contrary to that. Sorry, I am not as good as some of you with the sarcasim thing...

I was just trying to illustrate the absurd depths that some of you are going to, to defend JP...when he really doesn't need to be defended...he is what he is, a good, and improving NFL QB, who still has some flaws...nothing Ferguson is purported to have said, is contrary to that.  Sorry, I am not as good as some of you with the sarcasim thing...

787330[/snapback]

I am just responding to specific things that you or other posters have said. I think Losman lost the game for us, and posted that in the only thread I started on the game. I never said he had a great game. I think he played decent, had some great throws, and made some mistakes that he cannot make if we expect to win. I blamed several things in the game on him. I even blamed him for things that he likely shouldn't have been blamed for, like the first fumble where he was hit from behind. Where is all this sticking up for him? Because I said Ferguson was not the greatest Bills fan and gave a concrete reason why I think so?

That's okay, Jauron said that JP was responsible for that one.

787349[/snapback]

He sort of did. He said JP was trying to make the play, and it was the right thing to do, he just didn't get the ball out fast enough. And he said all quarterbacks fumble when hit like that, and didn't remember one play that didn't when you rooster your arm. It was very tepid blame. I put more blame on him than that actually, and said he just can't do it. he can't lose two fumbles in a game (as well as throw an interception) regardless of how he was hit. he has to find a way to hang onto at least one of those.

I am just responding to specific things that you or other posters have said. I think Losman lost the game for us, and posted that in the only thread I started on the game. I never said he had a great game. I think he played decent, had some great throws, and made some mistakes that he cannot make if we expect to win. I blamed several things in the game on him. I even blamed him for things that he likely shouldn't have been blamed for, like the first fumble where he was hit from behind. Where is all this sticking up for him? Because I said Ferguson was not the greatest Bills fan and gave a concrete reason why I think so?

787346[/snapback]

What does what Joe Ferguson may have told Jim Kelly, 23 years ago, have to do with a critique Ferguson made of JP Losmans' game? It seemed like you were just birnging up the "head-hanging" Ferguson referneces, and this really meaningless anecdote, to somehow discredit what Ferguson said. It really had nothing to do with anything...it is the kind of tactic we see in politics all of the time...shoot the messenger, divert blame somewhere else, and every other cliche you can think of.

But that is what football posts usually disinigrate into...I know you are always "fair & balanced" (and I am not being sarcastic), and I really like your posts...and I like JP...

What does what Joe Ferguson may have told Jim Kelly, 23 years ago, have to do with a critique Ferguson made of JP Losmans' game?  It seemed like you were just birnging up the "head-hanging" Ferguson referneces, and this really meaningless anecdote, to somehow discredit what Ferguson said.  It really had nothing to do with anything...it is the kind of tactic we see in politics all of the time...shoot the messenger, divert blame somewhere else, and every other cliche you can think of.

But that is what football posts usually disinigrate into...I know you are always "fair & balanced" (and I am not being sarcastic), and I really like your posts...and I like JP...

787369[/snapback]

For the same reason you can discount, or temper, or at the very least take with a grain of salt, things that, say, Fred Smerlas says about the Bills. Or even the way the things that homers like Steve Tasker will say about the Bills. It may or may not have an affect but it's an element to consider.

The first several things I said about Ferguson's observation were specific rebuttals, what I considered to be relevant stats (with stated reasons why I believed so), and asking (as yet) unanswered questions. Most of the pro-Ferguson statements it seems to me have been much more along the lines of it's true "just cuz".

For the same reason you can discount, or temper, or at the very least take with a grain of salt, things that, say, Fred Smerlas says about the Bills. Or even the way the things that homers like Steve Tasker will say about the Bills. It may or may not have an affect but it's an element to consider.

The first several things I said about Ferguson's observation were specific rebuttals, what I considered to be relevant stats (with stated reasons why I believed so), and asking (as yet) unanswered questions. Most of the pro-Ferguson statements it seems to me have been much more along the lines of it's true "just cuz".

787387[/snapback]

Your rebuttal was that Losman threw the ball around to a bunch of different receivers, which, frankly, doesn't prove anything other than that he threw the ball around to a bunch of different receivers.

The point that seems to being missed, over and over, as far as I know, Ferguson made the comments to Joe D, not necessarily for public consumption. Also, as far as I know, Ferguson wasn't being paid to make the comments, like Smerlas or Tasker.

Unless I am oblivious to something else, other than something Ferguson may have said to Jim Kelly many years ago, Ferguson doesn't have any record of being anti-Bills, or of being resentful toward the franchise, or Losman for that matter.

Your rebuttal was that Losman threw the ball around to a bunch of different receivers, which, frankly, deosn't mean anything other than that he threw the ball around to a bunch of different receivers. 

The point that seems to being missed, over and over, as far as I know, Ferguson made the comments to Joe D, not necessarily for public consumption.  Also, as far as I know, Ferguson wasn't being paid to make the comments, like Smerlas or Tasker. 

Unless I am oblivious to something else, other than something Ferguson may have said to Jim Kelly many years ago, Ferguson doesn't have any record of being anti-Bills, or of being resentful toward the franchise, or Losman for that matter.

787420[/snapback]

I think Joe's comments have been shoved up his ass, by numerous posters in this thread.

No way JP was locking onto one receiver all day.

Anyone see a crow circling?

Your rebuttal was that Losman threw the ball around to a bunch of different receivers, which, frankly, doesn't prove anything other than that he threw the ball around to a bunch of different receivers.

The point that seems to being missed, over and over, as far as I know, Ferguson made the comments to Joe D, not necessarily for public consumption.  Also, as far as I know, Ferguson wasn't being paid to make the comments, like Smerlas or Tasker. 

787420[/snapback]

No, my rebuttal was a couple passes to Evans, and 4-5 to McGahee refuted it, the hot reads refuted it. The spreading around seemed to refute it. The non-existence of any plays with him looking and looking and then throwing into double coverage refuted it. And the general observations of watching the 44 pass plays seemed to refute it.

It means a lot of things. It means the two deep passes to Evans were not locking on a receiver. It means the 4-5 checkdowns to Willis were not locking on a receiver. It means that a lot of the "reads" people talk about are actually read at the LOS and as soon as the ball is snapped, for example, the TD to Parrish, who wasn't the primary receiver on the play at all but the Jets did something at the snap, Losman made the read and threw immediately to the hot receiver, which went for a TD. You get a lot of distribution when that happens and your quarterback is making his reads on the go.

Outside of the ill-advised Evans INT there were many or even any passes I can remember where he locked on  aguy who wasnt open and then forced it into obvious double coverage where it was a mistake. There may have been one but I can't recall it off hand.

786603[/snapback]

My recollection is that JP changed the play at the line on Roscoe's TD.

With all due respect to Fergy, buying time to allow a receiver to get free is what good QB's do but we are finding fault even in that. Go figure. I am sure that at his experience level as a player and with this new offense, he probably doesn't see the field as much as he will in the future.

I just don't get why people aren't excited as hell about this guy after all the good things he showed on Sunday. You know how cautious and skeptical I have been about him but even I am satisfied with his play. Not despite the Jet game but because of the Jet game.

I thought his biggest problem was accuracy, especially missing open receivers too often. He has definitely improved there. Yes, he still struggles a bit on that score but not much. He is getting the ball out quicker and stepping in to the pocket when the edge pressure hits rather than running backwards and everywhich-a-way.

I think he needs to work on his decision making when the protection totally breaks down. Especially when he hangs on trying to make a play and then leaves himself no time to throw the ball away. That is going to happen once in awhile and I don't mind that, I am not one who subscribes to the theory that the QB should throw the ball away at the first sign of trouble, Marion style. When that does happen though, he has got to know when there is time to throw it away and when there isn't even time enough to do that and he just has to tuck it in and take the sack.

I also think he is a challenge for the coaches to handle in terms of keeping his head on straight. JP is pretty emotional and he really, really, really cares about each and every play. He is the type to really get mad himself over every mistake and that is not good. He needs to keep those emotions in check and focus on the game. This is one where the coaches should probably back off on the criticism and instead concentrate on all the good things he did so he doesn't overreact the way so many fans have. He has worked long and hard to be able to finally throw the ball around the way he was on Sunday and he can't enjoy it because of "the fumble". If they can keep him from getting too uptight, I think he will bounce back with a great game on Sunday.

No, my rebuttal was a couple passes to Evans, and 4-5 to McGahee refuted it, the hot reads refuted it. The spreading around seemed to refute it. The non-existence of any plays with him looking and looking and then throwing into double coverage refuted it. And the general observations of watching the 44 pass plays seemed to refute it.

787434[/snapback]

You and your facts :P

787420[/snapback]

I have tons of respect for Fergy and I am sure JP isn't seeing he field as well as he will in the future as he gains experience both as an NFL starter and with this new offense as well. Even so, the numbers show that JP was moving the ball around pretty good so whatever locking in he did, it wasn't much. That is why he has gone three games with only 1 pick.

I remember very well - Fergie and Kelly's first years with the Bills. They didn't do so well and were major disappoints. Some of their problems: Poor decision making (people forget all the bonehead Fergie and Kelly plays). Lack of field awareness. Locking onto receivers. Poor time management (remember the final drive against the Giants in the SB?). They got better. JP is getting better. Let's see what kind of progress JP has made by the end of the year.

If he doesn't continue to progress (aka Rob Johnson), then we got a major problem.

With regards to - being clutch, that too - only time will tell.

Not everyone gets a rookie like Big Ben or Tom Brady or Marino.

Aren't some of you guys overreacting to Fergy's comments? Fergy is not saying he should be run out of town (as some of you want to do to some of our other players).

Do you guys really think that JP is perfect?

I don't, and I am sure, neither does JP.

JP is showing signs that he could be a good QB, but he (and pretty much most of the team) certainly have room for improvement). He is a young QB who is going to make mistakes (just like some of our other players for whom many of you are much less forgiving).

If Fergy noticed something about locking into wrs, that does not mean that Fergy is saying that he is a horrible QB. Perhaps, it would be more wise to take this as constructive criticism -- as I am sure JP does when the coaches (or others who know what the hell they are talking about) offer him advice.

Aren't some of you guys overreacting to Fergy's comments?  Fergy is not saying he should be run out of town (as some of you want to do to some of our other players).

JP is showing signs that he could be a good QB, but he (and pretty much most of the team) certainly have room for improvement).  He is a young QB who is going to make mistakes (just like some of our other players for whom many of you are much less forgiving).

If Fergy noticed something about locking into wrs, that does not mean that Fergy is saying that he is a horrible QB.  Perhaps, it would be more wise to take this as constructive criticism -- as I am sure JP does when the coaches (or others who know what the hell they are talking about) offer him advice.

787464[/snapback]

That was pretty much my point, I feel more stupid than normal, for getting dragged into a really silly argument...thanks for being a voice of reason.

I feel bad, it seems I have uwittingly put Joe Ferguson on the top 10 for "JP-enthusiasts", for what seems like a pretty harmless observation.

My recollection is that JP changed the play at the line on Roscoe's TD.

787435[/snapback]

Not that it really matters but I think you're confusing the TD play with 2nd down play a series latter where JP hit Roscoe on a 20 yard out (with a perfectly thrown ball btw).

I feel bad, it seems I have uwittingly put Joe Ferguson on the top 10 for "JP-enthusiasts", for what seems like a pretty harmless observation.

787467[/snapback]

Nah, I just hadn't bashed Fergy for awhile, had to get it out of my system. :P

My sense is that Joe D probably has it wrong because 1]. A key for many good athletes at skill positions is that they simply see the field differently than you and I, an OL player like Joe or even lesser QBs. Eye test of folks like Gretzky have found that they have much wider effective peripheral vision than a normal person. He could not move his head side to side, but he could still see from one barrier to the other side of the rink,

It would not be surprising to find that some successful QBs actually do not need to move their head very far to go through the progessions. In fact, if a QB minimizes his head movements to make reads he will throw off the D which is trying to read where he is looking by how he turns his head.

In addition to wider peripheral vision, some athletes see a different game becaise they can predict (or sometimes distinguish individual sounds even amidat the morass of game and crowd noise) to determine how a player is proceeding with his route. A simpler uncomplicated example would be if before the play a QB knows the route and reads the coverage and knows that only one defender is in a position where he can defend the pass if he gets to a certain spot. He has "chemistry" with and knows his receiver so he merely needs to watch the defender to see if he is going to that spot and if he is not the route is quite likely to be open.

We have all seen plays where the QB throws to a vacant spot where a player was supposed to be but he blew the route, or he threw to the player and did not see a defender who obviously was there,or plays like Crowell INY of Culpepper where no one knew whom he was throwing to and it looked like he did not even look. Actually, he might not have looked where he was throwing because the mistake he made was thinking that he had everyone accounted for with an initial read and knew where they were going.

We have all seen athletes who operate as though they have eyes in the back of their head with pinpoint no look passes. Actually between wider peripheral vision and a developed ability to predict player flow and an ability to detect differences in player flow because someone is not where they should be or because they can seem to "feel" they are about to be sacked from the blindside or whatever, they know what is going on.

It just is hard to tell where some successful athletes are looking by watching their head and it would not surprise me if this is the case with JP who has made a habit of running for his life at Tulane and has demonstrated a "feel" for the game.

Aren't some of you guys overreacting to Fergy's comments?  Fergy is not saying he should be run out of town (as some of you want to do to some of our other players).

JP is showing signs that he could be a good QB, but he (and pretty much most of the team) certainly have room for improvement).  He is a young QB who is going to make mistakes (just like some of our other players for whom many of you are much less forgiving).

If Fergy noticed something about locking into wrs, that does not mean that Fergy is saying that he is a horrible QB.  Perhaps, it would be more wise to take this as constructive criticism -- as I am sure JP does when the coaches (or others who know what the hell they are talking about) offer him advice.

787464[/snapback]

Where on earth do you or buftex make the Evel Kneival sized leap from refuting the fact that Losman locks on his receivers to those same posters implying they think that Losman is perfect? Where does that come from? Numerous posters in this thread and others have been defending JP's play in various aspects of it. No one to my knowledge has said he is great. No one came close to implying that he was already great. No one insisted he doesn't make mistakes. Everyone supporting him, as far as I can tell, are saying we can live with the growing pains because we see strides being made, we see talent. The detractors seem to be the only ones making outlandish statements, like "do you guys really think JP is perfect".

That was pretty much my point, I feel more stupid than normal, for getting dragged into a really silly argument...thanks for being a voice of reason.

787467[/snapback]

You're completely ignoring the progression of posts and all of the posts in between. There was no huge jump from Fergy's criticism, to saying Fergy was a bad QB or non-Bills fan. there was a gradual point-by-point progression. Go back and read the thread.

Where on earth do you or buftex make the Evel Kneival sized leap from refuting the fact that Losman locks on his receivers to those same posters implying they think that Losman is perfect? Where does that come from? Numerous posters in this thread and others have been defending JP's play in various aspects of it. No one to my knowledge has said he is great. No one came close to implying that he was already great. No one insisted he doesn't make mistakes. Everyone supporting him, as far as I can tell, are saying we can live with the growing pains because we see strides being made, we see talent. The detractors seem to be the only ones making outlandish statements, like "do you guys really think JP is perfect".

787545[/snapback]

As I recall, Evel Kneival did not make it that far when he tried to go over the snake river (or whichever river it was).

It seems to me that there are many JP supporters that are a pretty touchy about anyone making any comment that can be even slightly interpreted as being critical. At the same time, some of these same posters want to run the league's leading rusher out of town. [it is odd that some of JP's "supporters" feel the need to go out of their way to attack Willis. I am glad that it does not appear that the two of them seem to react the same way].

As for me, I think that JP has shown much more potential than he did last year. Nevertheless, he has made some critical errors. Yet, I am not going to throw the "baby out with the bath water." He has shown potential. I like his attitude this year. He has thrown some pretty good balls. I would like to see some improvement in the touch throws, getting the play off, ball handling etc. Also, if Joe Ferguson makes a private comment about locking into receivers, it may be worth considering rather than trying to shoot the messenger.

As for me, I think that JP has shown much more potential than he did last year.  Nevertheless, he has made some critical errors.  Yet, I am not going to throw the "baby out with the bath water."  He has shown potential.  I like his attitude this year.  He has thrown some pretty good balls.  I would like to see some improvement in the touch throws, getting the play off, ball handling etc.  Also, if Joe Ferguson makes a private comment about locking into receivers, it may be worth considering rather than trying to shoot the messenger.

787561[/snapback]

I get that. So why do you think he is the worst quarterback in the league and will never amount to anything ever?

See how dumb that is? :P