Troy Vincent...

OCinBuffalo

After reading all the posts, BB.com videos, and other assorted details on this guy from training camp on; I've drawn the following conclusions:

1. TV couldn't care less about playing this year. He seems to be content with his career, and, along with his role in the NFLPA, appears to be consistently presenting an image as though he has an alterior motive - I can't place it. Maybe he wants to coach, be a gm, something. The videos on BB.com are very consistent. It's clear that every time he has had on oppportunity to present the image of having players, coaches, fans, etc. look to him for answers, he is right there to give the people what they want. To be clear - I'm not doubting his sincerity, I am merely pointing out his consistency.

2. In this world of me-first secondary and wide recievers TV is a standout guy in terms of his willingness to "assist" the team. More specifically than #1, I really got a kick out of TV practicing with Nate Clements in the pre season videos, and even more so when Nate was right there lapping up everything TV said, on camera. I got a funny feeling that this seems a little too "right". Again, not doubting his commitment but this seems like a handy opportunity to gain PR points.

3. The way that Marv handled this, giving TV his salary for the year, while at the same time giving TV a chance to get in front of the media and say things like: "The NFL has been good to me and I have a responsibility to give back" and "It's not a time for me to be selfish" seem a little too convienent for me. I mean, if you were going to build a resume for an "after playing" career in the NFL this is exactly on target. Plus - you get all your money for the year, and you get to hang around and build the resume even more. I bet every time KO or Donte do something good, we are gonna hear Troy Vincent's name.

Ok, I don't have anything direct to point to in terms of a cause and effect, yet. However, the kicker for me was when TV said on video that "I will be hanging around to make sure the #20 and #30 are prepared"(not exact but close enough). It just seems that TV is a very smart dude who has seen the end of his career coming and has done everything exactly right to tansition into something else. Seems a lot like the same reason Tiki Barber does the early morning show on Fox News.

I hope that this all turns into a coaching job for Troy as Defensive Quality control or something. We should be so lucky. In fact that would be the schitt. But, I'm thinkin he has his sights set a little higher. Once more, I am not saying that the guy is playin us, simply that he is using his current position effectively to gain a new position, or, there is just a hell of a lot of coincidence here.

Insightful or crap? You decide :doh:

Who knows which dimestore psychology theory is correct reafrding TV's motivations. However, the objective events seem to point to him taking actions in preparation for age diminishing a player (which happens to 'em all) in his case.

1. He joined the Bills with the publicly stated idea that he was gonna switch to safety in a year or two as covering #1 WRs required more speed than he had. Many players simply allow themselves to slide from #1 to #2 and then to nickel as they get older, TV looked to a position switch to do this which is somewhat rare among players.

2. He had led the organizing of NFL players (such as TKO) attending an Ivy league (Wharton at U Penn I believe) to get credits toward their MBAs and learn high-level business stuff.

3. His peers elected him Pres of the NFLPA and under his and Upshaw's leadership they negotiated a deal which not only solidified thair role as partners with team owners rather than being merely workers, but arguably since the get well into a majority of the total revenues, the NFLPA is the majority partner in this arrangement.

If he could not play the game with the authority which saw him lead the team last year in turnovers received and also suit it up for 16 of 16 games, it was definitely time for him to sit. I'm just happy that Simpson looks like the real deal and is pulling off the great and unplanned for trick of essentially starting immediately as a second day pick.

The fact we are seeing significant time and mostly game starts already coming from: the late-signing Whitner, Simpson, Ellison, Williams and McCargo just speaks incredibly highly of Jauron as a teacher, Jauron/Fewell for designing a working D scheme simple enough for players to gain command of it quickly and Marv/Modrak for leading the charge to a great draft at this early point.

Its still way to early to declare this draft a success, but the media was perfectly willing to declare that the game had at least passed Marv by or even that he showed signs of Alzheimers the day after the draft. its too early to give final judgment on the players but not too early to declare a few media idiots already owe Marv and the Bills a big apology.

Seems to me that Vincent has been doing and saying this kind of stuff his entire career. The only thing remotely deceptive or disingenuous to me is that he is very calculated in what he says. He thinks before he speaks. Wow, what a concept.

But that should probably just be considered smart and diplomatic rather than disingenuous. As head of the player's union, he wants to portray players as exemplary citizens, so he acts like that himself. He almost always says and does the right thing.

Plus he has had a successful career, is in a serious position to succeed in whatever he does, and reportedly makes (perhaps) hundreds of millions, so he is not a guy trying to hang onto a career and milk as much cash as he can before he is forced out.

There are a lot of reasons why Vincent does and says what he does, but frankly, I have yet to hear a bad word about him from anyone anywhere. Excluding some talk about him advising players in the locker room that management may not be so happy about. I don't know if that is even wrong, it's his job.

Vincent has been stealing money from the bills for the last 3 years. The guy should of retired after Philly cut him loose. I guess if you could find a team naive enough to pay your salary, more power to you. I always got the sense with Vincent that althoug a standup guy, he was always condesending. I for one am glad he will never see the field again in a bills uniform. The only reason the bills kept Vincent over Baker in the first place is to not have an early season mutiny among the veterans in the lockerroom.

Pyrite - it seems your favorite term to respond to anything beyond basic, right in front of your face stuff is "dimestore psychology" - what happened? Did some shrink piss you off? Let's be clear - I don't care - I'm just wondering. I am merely pointing out that the guy is polished and seems unlike most of the "I'm great. Throw me the ball and pay me - and oh yeah, buy my new rap album" guys that are really beginnig to bore us all. I see a pattern of behavior that lends itself to something, I believe, unexpected but huge for TV - that's it.

Kelly - hey I'm not saying disingenuious and TV in the same sentence. If anything, he's putting things out that are so painfully obvious that there is no way they could be fake. I guess I am admiring a guy that for once, instead of setting the lowest possible expectations(see rap album) for himself, appears to be doing just the opposite. I'm not saying he will run for president - but is an Ozzie Newsome-like job out of the question?

I hope he sticks around throughout the season and helps out - that would be huge.

Pyrite - it seems your favorite term to respond to anything beyond basic, right in front of your face stuff is "dimestore psychology" - what happened? Did some shrink piss you off? Let's be clear - I don't care - I'm just wondering. I am merely pointing out that the guy is polished and seems unlike most of the "I'm great. Throw me the ball and pay me - and oh yeah, buy my new rap album" guys that are really beginnig to bore us all. I see a pattern of behavior that lends itself to something, I believe, unexpected but huge for TV - that's it.

Kelly - hey I'm not saying disingenuious and TV in the same sentence. If anything, he's putting things out that are so painfully obvious that there is no way they could be fake. I guess I am admiring a guy that for once, instead of setting the lowest possible expectations(see rap album) for himself, appears to be doing just the opposite. I'm not saying he will run for president - but is an Ozzie Newsome-like job out of the question?

I hope he sticks around throughout the season and helps out - that would be huge.

782856[/snapback]

While the two words are not in the same sentence, I think K F&B and I both interpreted your post in the same manner which was finding fault with manner TV operated. I was mistaken in this take, apologize for misinterpreting and am glad you did not mean it that way.

I do not feel any disdain for psychoanalysts, just simply a disdain for what I call the dimestore version of it which is folks ASSuming some simplistic motivation for a player or individual's actions based on their simplistic read of the person's motivations.

As an example off the TV subject, you would think some folks must be best friends with McGahee or have slept with him the way they rant about his motivations, plans or lack thereof. He probably is a jerk, but we really do not know for sure for the most part and the main take from what he has said is that folks should be careful not to have sex with him (kest you end up being a baby momma).

Basically, what we really do know about him is his performance on the field and little more than that. It amazes me how folks seem to think they draw stone cold certain conclusions about what he is gonna do years hence based on their psychological profiling.

I'm happy you do not think this way.

In my (simplistic) view, Vincent sounds like a businessman who used his football talents to generate revenue and establish contacts. Good for him and I wish more of the players had some of his business acumen.

I have had a hard time getting excited about TV - he seems like the consultant a company hires and pays too much money to work beside the full-time staff. You know the consultant is in it for the short-term and more focussed on himself than the project.

On a football team, I don't want "consultants," no matter how experienced they are. TD was good at hiring consultants; it appears with Marv's first draft that he's more interested in developing his full-timers from within. Bills are coming back, I can feel it...

Also, could not putting him on IR and paying him the way we are be a clever way to garner loyalty from TV; hence he readily stays and helps tutor the young players. Furthermore, by treating someone as well respected as TV like this, it seems the Bills are telling other players/free agents that Buffalo is a great team and organization to be around. Again, a clear way to garner loyalty from existing players and entice would be free agents in the future.

I, for one, have no problem with paying TV a few million this year. Heck, we have plenty of salary money to spare. Plus if it gets us good will from the players association, the league, and potential free agents - all while providing additional tutiledge to our rookies; then its a win-win situation for all involved. Certainly better than just cutting him out right and saving a few million.

It seems logical to me that if you want classy, high character players; then the GM should treat existing players with class and high character. That's exactly what they've done with TV and I see nothing but positives to the whole situation.

I agree with this......the team could have just cut him and only been responsible for paying him a fraction of what they're paying now. So in that respect I think they did the right thing.

I think the real question is whether or not putting his field experience on the sideline is going to have any long term negative effects on the secondary. While it's true the rookies seem to be playing well so far, they're going to be tested again many times this year once other teams have a decent amount of game film

to look at. That's going to be the real test: How well do they adjust once other teams start reading their tendencies? While it's true TV is probably beyond his prime physically, he certainly brought a wealth of "in-game" coaching to help the secondary change up it's "looks".

Also, could not putting him on IR and paying him the way we are be a clever way to garner loyalty from TV; hence he readily stays and helps tutor the young players.  Furthermore, by treating someone as well respected as TV like this, it seems the Bills are telling other players/free agents that Buffalo is a great team and organization to be around.  Again, a clear way to garner loyalty from existing players and entice would be free agents in the future.

I, for one, have no problem with paying TV a few million this year.  Heck, we have plenty of salary money to spare.  Plus if it gets us good will from the players association, the league, and potential free agents - all while providing additional tutiledge to our rookies; then its a win-win situation for all involved.  Certainly better than just cutting him out right and saving a few million.

It seems logical to me that if you want classy, high character players; then the GM should treat existing players with class and high character.  That's exactly what they've done with TV and I see nothing but positives to the whole situation.

782933[/snapback]

Here's something I find telling, and consistent with what most people are posting about TV:

When Marv took over he did not back up the truck and clean house like TD did. I know the situation was different -- TD's first team was in cap hell and Marv's wasn't -- but still TD was the kind of guy who wanted "his" players, not the other guy's. I really don't think Mark thinks that way. He just wants guys who he thinks are the right guys to play the game. I have a lot of faith in Marv's judgment of people going back to his coaching years.

So: Milloy -- gone. Adams -- gone. Big Mike -- gone. Because Marv (and Jauron) didn't want them.

And whatever some fans thought: Reed -- stays. Wire -- stays. Because Marv and Jauron (and Bobby April) think they have something to give the team.

And the telling part: Marv kept TV.

And the telling part:  Marv kept TV.

783012[/snapback]

And then someone put him on mini ("we kinda don't want you") IR....

I think TV has been a model player and teammate, and haven't seen anthing at all in his interviews or actions that I can be critical of with a clear conscience. But, at the same time, it has seemed like he's been playing with less fire in his belly the last couple years. I think this is a good move for everyone if Bowen is really returning before TV could be ready to play again.

I completely agree. I think Marv and Co. have done an excellent job (or so it seems a few weeks into the season) at keeping players/personnel that still have something to offer the organization. And they've retained and released people in decent and "high character" way. I've thoguht all along that the biggest change needed at OBD was in upper management and consequently the atmosphere within the organization. The hiring of Marv (and his subsequent staff), the attitude he brings, and the way that he deals with staff will do far more to change the losing atmosphere surrounding the Bills than any player signing or firing.

Marv has caught a lot of crap for having to pay TV's salary because of the timing of his IR placement. I'm not sure if I buy that. We just did the president of the union a major solid, don't think that stuff doesn't get passed around among the players and agents when they are looking for places to do deals. Marv COULD have dumped TV earlier and saved some cash, but for his 2 million + he bought himself a bunch of goodwill with a player (washed up or not) who has a lot of pull. TV is either setting himself up to coach or be an agent, my guess is agent and either way the Bills helped him out big time.

After reading all the posts, BB.com videos, and other assorted details on this guy from training camp on; I've drawn the following conclusions:

1. TV couldn't care less about playing this year. He seems to be content with his career, and, along with his role in the NFLPA, appears to be consistently presenting an image as though he has an alterior motive - I can't place it. Maybe he wants to coach, be a gm, something. The videos on BB.com are very consistent. It's clear that every time he has had on oppportunity to present the image of having players, coaches, fans, etc. look to him for answers, he is right there to give the people what they want. To be clear - I'm not doubting his sincerity, I am merely pointing out his consistency.

2. In this world of me-first secondary and wide recievers TV is a standout guy in terms of his willingness to "assist" the team. More specifically than #1, I really got a kick out of TV practicing with Nate Clements in the pre season videos, and even more so when Nate was right there lapping up everything TV said, on camera. I got a funny feeling that this seems a little too "right". Again, not doubting his commitment but this seems like a handy opportunity to gain PR points.

3. The way that Marv handled this, giving TV his salary for the year, while at the same time giving TV a chance to get in front of the media and say things like: "The NFL has been good to me and I have a responsibility to give back" and "It's not a time for me to be selfish" seem a little too convienent for me. I mean, if you were going to build a resume for an "after playing" career in the NFL this is exactly on target. Plus - you get all your money for the year, and you get to hang around and build the resume even more. I bet every time KO or Donte do something good, we are gonna hear Troy Vincent's name.

Ok, I don't have anything direct to point to in terms of a cause and effect, yet. However, the kicker for me was when TV said on video that "I will be hanging around to make sure the #20 and #30 are prepared"(not exact but close enough). It just seems that TV is a very smart dude who has seen the end of his career coming and has done everything exactly right to tansition into something else. Seems a lot like the same reason Tiki Barber does the early morning show on Fox News.

I hope that this all turns into a coaching job for Troy as Defensive Quality control or something. We should be so lucky. In fact that would be the schitt. But, I'm thinkin he has his sights set a little higher. Once more, I am not saying that the guy is playin us, simply that he is using his current position effectively to gain a new position, or, there is just a hell of a lot of coincidence here.

Insightful or crap? You decide :D

782585[/snapback]

This sounds a little to cynical to me. I have listened to TV on many occasions through the years and have always gotten the impression that he is a stand up guy. I've never thought that he might be trying to portray himself as anything other than.......well, himself. Just my 2 cents.

Vincent plays with the Cajones of Holcomb and the desire of Bledsoe. He was a good player for a lot of years, but he never seemed to show that tremendous fire for the game during his Bill tenure. He has amassed a fortune in leveraging his NFL earnings into successful business ventures. IMO he has been playing just enough to get it done and nothing more. It's not a knock that "he's well spoken and calculated, he must not like football" rather his actions on the field and his lack of desire to "stick his head in there" show he's playing for life after football.

And don't forget Ralph is a keen supporter of TV. So because of that, he was probably more than happy to have him paid for the full season, tutor the pups and then glide into an office role with the Bills at the end of this season. I'm sure by the time he gets the okay to get cut he'll either retire or stay on staff in some capacity.

In my (simplistic) view, Vincent sounds like a businessman who used his football talents to generate revenue and establish contacts.  Good for him and I wish more of the players had some of his business acumen.

I have had a hard time getting excited about TV - he seems like the consultant a company hires and pays too much money to work beside the full-time staff.  You know the consultant is in it for the short-term and more focussed on himself than the project.

On a football team, I don't want "consultants," no matter how experienced they are.  TD was good at hiring consultants; it appears with Marv's first draft that he's more interested in developing his full-timers from within.  Bills are coming back, I can feel it...

782926[/snapback]

I understand the distinction you are making between players who are Bills for the long term versus players where this is clearly just a stop on the way to another team. Though, I think this is a valid distinction for a a few extreme cases of players (almost all the draftees are hoping to be so good that the team that drafted them will want to pay them big bucks upfront and keep them with the team which picked them for their whole career (many players assume they will become FAs at some point, but when a team offers you by far the biggest check you have ever gotten a couple of seasons before you hit FA, be they Peters, McGee. Crowell or whomever you sign an extension and bind yourself to that team for a period beyond the average career length of an NFL player even here in a little market).

There are players on the backside of their career like a Centers, Gash, or even Bledspe who know this is just a stop ortheir last contract and one would rather develop you own and make these players at most the last piece you need in an SB run so the distinction you make is a real one, though it simply does not apply to many cases.

The real world of the NFL is actually that all the players are consultants these days and they are well paid enough that they all better be businesmen (or they are going to broke). Whether you want consultants or not, your team is going to have a strong dose of FAs like Reyes, Fowler, Peerless, and Triplett playing critical roles on your team. We cetainly will have the Evans, the Whitner and the other players we drafted as a core of this team, but we gave folks like Triplett and Fowler bonuses such that it is clear we hope they will be Bills for a long time.

Sould your team be built around consultants? They have to be in that I would hazard a guess that if you look at the current roster 10 years from now there will only be a handful (if that many) who make their homes in Buffalo. If you trestrict this survey to simply their period as members of the team it is simply the exception to the general rule the player who retires from the team that drafted them.

Though I think that football and the "real" business world are quite different from each other. football teams can actually learn some lessons about how a good business gets good value from a consultant. I work as a consultant professionally and have had my own company for 17 years. I feel it is a smart thing for a company to hire me for:

1. Short-term work they need done but so not plan to stay in that business beyond a short time.

2. Immediate work where they have a need for expertise to produce immediately and do not have time to wait on a learning curve.

3. Most important, and when I am really used well is when I am hired not so much to do a specific job, but to build the capacity of the institution to do the work themselves.

I am lucky enough that I can tend to avoid the first two types of work because I find it generally unfulfilling. Sometimes I will do it because I am paid googobas of money to do it or the job is in a nifty place I want to go.

The best work in #3 is actually the hard part about being a consultant. If I do my job right I work myself out of a job and even worse I am not there for the kill and the fun part of accomplishing things. Still, I have a short attention span so this flitting around suits me.

This is relevant because there are football analogies for each of these three needs. Unfortunately, the Bills have not been good enough for a while for the football case where the first two reasons make sense. When your team is one or a couple of players away from going for the SB, it makes perfect sense to bring in a "consultant" typr player who is not part of your history and will not be part of your future.

However, if you are good and understand your scheme and make a judgment that a player who can perform a specific role in the immediate can put you over the top git er done.

Likewise, forget the draft for meeting an immediate need as it usually only two or even one player who will start immediately for your team and a handul that contribute over the course of a season. You need a "consultant" player ifyou are lucky enough to get the right one.

This brings us to Vincent. Actually he seems to fit the highest and best use of a consultant as it applies to football. What TV is all about particularly after going on the IR is building the capacity of several players on this team to perform well. Why are we able to use 2 rookies of all things as starting safeties and have them impress? Why is the rookie Whitner calling plays and changes assignments on thefield as though he we was a vet?

I dunno for sure, but i would not be surprised at all if this is in part because of the presnce of TV.

It could be that it is simply because Whitner is so great and Simpson is so great and Ellison listens to Whitner and does what he says becaise he knows Whitner is so great. However, what I think may well have happened here was the the young Bills (particularly the DBs and Ss are profiting from having a former multi-time Pro Bowler who clearly has both the on field and off-field respect of the players helping them dissect every piece of film on opponents and also critique and improve their own work.

Maybe the rooks are just tremendous players who would do what they are doing even without TV. If so, then we should all really bow down and say we are not worthy to Marv and Modrak because they were smart enough to reach for Whiner and to draft Ellison, Williams and Simpson on the second day.

Maybe it is the superior position coaching from Calvados. I think that is actually a big factor, but remember that he not only has the typical responsibility of working with vets like McGee and NC, but also he teaching the two rookie starters, AND needing to also school Youbouty, AND sorting through FA consultants like Bowen and Thomas and making the decision to cut King and keep Wire.

My sense is that in the end we are going to feel quite fortunate the way things played out with TV. By going on IR most of the pre-season it gave valuable minutes to the rookies to learn the game, By being respected as both a player and as a person he immediately should have been able to command special respect from the rooks. In addition, a fellow player and peer, TV really can do some things and here some admissions from the rooks and talk to them in a way they simply would not talk to or admit their difficulties to a man who will decide whether they get cut or not.

I cannot say for sure what difference TV had made, but given the many things on Calvados plate, the fact all rookies MUST learn the NFL game and it is not the typical thing for a rookie to start and play effectively for NFL teams immeidiately and really rare for a seconf day draftee to even contribute much less start for his team right out the box,

What is different about this team:

1. The HC is a former DB, once NFL Coach of the Year and a defensive specialist.

2. The Bills players all expected to and are expected to contribute immediately though it was mostly ST where they expected to do this because of Marv's emphasis.

3. TV was there as quite frankly the most respected player you can have (voted NFL Pres and a multi-time former Pro Bowler) but yet because of his injury he did not take any time away from the rooks.

I am really pumped about TV offering to stick around for a few weeks though many IR players simply go home if their rehab is set and they can do it remotely. My main hope is that now Youbouty and TV become fast friends and constant companions. Youbouty can oribably use the help since his Mom died and if TV can download to him while Calvados spends his time between the more than full time needs of two rook safety starters. The life may be very good.

3.  Most important, and when I am really used well is when I am hired not so much to do a specific job, but to build the capacity of the institution to do the work themselves.

783179[/snapback]

Consultants defending consultants, there's a surprise :P I quoted the line above because I know a couple of staff that would have punched me if I used that on a contract 0:)

Back on topic, I respect TV, and I appreciate that he may be vital to the development of our defense - but I would never spend $100 for his jersey.

Vincent plays with the Cajones of Holcomb and the desire of Bledsoe.  He was a good player for a lot of years, but he never seemed to show that tremendous fire for the game during his Bill tenure.  He has amassed a fortune in leveraging his NFL earnings into successful business ventures.  IMO he has been playing just enough to get it done and nothing more.  It's not a knock that "he's well spoken and calculated, he must not like football" rather his actions on the field and his lack of desire to "stick his head in there" show he's playing for life after football.

783111[/snapback]

Well said. TV is full of character and devoid of any desire. A fine young man, but it's time for him to wear a tie full time.

In summary: I think the Bills played this right way. Given our sorry D last year and a critical lack of turnover production, there is no way I cut my leading producer of turnovers last year. He is well into the backside of his career, but since he was able to play in all 16 games last year, I give him the benefit of the doubt unless he clearly hits the wall in pre-season due to injury.

Yet his age means I put a high priority on getting talent in the draft and sign an FA if I can because my key back-up Wire contributes only on ST and he will even have to vie for a spot there.

Cap $ is alays an issue as I want to maximize profits, Tet the new CBA raises the cap and gives me flexibility not to have to cut players I have any probable need for.

The TO situation creates that probable need for TV, plus when you add that my new Cover 2 tends his role toward his coverage skills where he made the Pro Bowl due to his youth and away from the run stopping required of a safety in the zone blitz.

I cut his fellow safety Milloy which saves me far more money than cutting TV and fits the switch to a Cover 2.

Further I fet the immediate starter at SS in the 1st round, luck into getting a CB in the 3rd with 1st round physical talent but 3rd round experience. Finally I get another safety who savvy I like early on the second day, This fuirther enhances TVs value as my DN position coach is gonna have his hands full with all this draft talent.

Further, I get Bowen who definitely has the ST talent we want and I think can actually challenge as a position player. In addition I get K. Thomas who I think can challenge for the nickel slot and will compete with draft pick King from last year.

In the final equation, my lucj with TV runs out as a nagging hamstring costs him the pre-season and eventually means he will need to sit for roughly 4 weeks with no gurantee he can come back. The good news is that Simpson is a player and the late signing Whitner also looks good.

The TV injury may well be a blessing in disguise as his injury in pre-season gave the rooks more PT. Even better if IR'ed he will hang around and provide Pro Bol quality peer coaching to the youngsters. The CB coach xan devote full time to keeping good players on the field and well coached and TV can give time to Youbouty who is vehind anyway due to a death in the family and Calvado's job has to be to win on Sunday rather than train for next year.

I think the Bills made the right move to keep him and bad luck cost them. However, the bad luck of injury provides some nice training side effects. The money issue is always there but simply means that the Bills instead of making outrageous profits with a growing TV payment with costs fixed by the CBA, simply means the Bills make less outrageous profit rather than more outrageous profit.

No one chooses injury but, I think the whole thing works for us.

This sounds a little to cynical to me.  I have listened to TV on many occasions through the years and have always gotten the impression that he is a stand up guy.  I've never thought that he might be trying to portray himself as anything other than.......well, himself.  Just my 2 cents.

783053[/snapback]

Yeah after further review I see what you are saying, I meant to show how good the guy is at being an NFL person, in general, in his play, press interactions, team building, etc. - it didn't come out right.

In my (simplistic) view, Vincent sounds like a businessman who used his football talents to generate revenue and establish contacts.  Good for him and I wish more of the players had some of his business acumen.

I have had a hard time getting excited about TV - he seems like the consultant a company hires and pays too much money to work beside the full-time staff.  You know the consultant is in it for the short-term and more focussed on himself than the project.

On a football team, I don't want "consultants," no matter how experienced they are.  TD was good at hiring consultants; it appears with Marv's first draft that he's more interested in developing his full-timers from within.  Bills are coming back, I can feel it...

782926[/snapback]

Hey I resemble that remark. 0:) If your company is doing what you say then shame on them. We are what we are, it's the same as guns. You know what a gun can do the same as you know what a consultant can do. Therefore there can be just as many bad uses for both as good ones. Using a "real" consultant in a staff augmentation role is just as bad as you say it is. That's what they have companies like Ajilon, Manpower, CTG, or Jim's Toolbox MCSEs for Hire for.

Cheers to Marv and Jauron who found a way to cut an aging player with diminished skills who was a darling of the owner, and at the same time avoiding a controversy like the RJ/DF debacle.

Of course, Marv doesn't know what he's doing and we're 5 million under the cap. If only Marv never came back. We could of had a 50 year old starting Safety in about 10 years. 0:)

Cheers to Marv and Jauron who found a way to cut an aging player with diminished skills who was a darling of the owner, and at the same time avoiding a controversy like the RJ/DF debacle.

Of course, Marv doesn't know what he's doing and we're 5 million under the cap. If only Marv never came back. We could of had a 50 year old starting Safety in about 10 years.  0:)

783677[/snapback]

Oh, c'mon. The guy got injured. Marv and Jauron started him and wanted to start him and likely would have started him the entire year if he didn't get hurt. And this was the only way to do it unless they wanted to cut a player they didnt want to cut. It just happened.