New weekly Stat thread

Kelly the Dog

1. Most important stat: 0-1

There are no moral victories. We lost a game we could've/should've won that would've taken us a long way in our resurgence.

2. Most revealing stat: 10 points.

That is how much the defense gave up against Brady and co. on the road in new schemes with new players, an injured TK and Vincent and sometimes five rookies playing. Yes, they gave up 17 but they scored 7 completely by themselves in one play. The defense not only played well, they played very well. Yes, they couldn't stop the Pats when they needed to but it took diving TD receptions to do it. And you can't expect a shutout.

3. Most ridiculous stat: 1-5

One penalty for five yards against a team in any game is almost impossible to believe. That doesn't even count the blatant holds, jumping offsides and other shenanigans that we can actually point to.

4. Weekly misleading stat: 86.1

That's JP's quarterback rating, which is commonly a worthless stat. 86.1 is a pretty good rating and one we would likely be happy with any game and over the course of the season. He wasn't that good though. His plays and head were "relatively" good but he didn't get on the scoreboard through the air. He lacked chunkability. He had the fateful safety. He had trouble holding the ball on some snaps. Granted, it's a team game and a lot of that is not his fault but again the QB rating is misleading, as it usually will be.

5. TD Haters stat: 6-6

If I'm not mistaken that is Ryan Lindell in his last 6 kicks over 50 yards counting this pre-season and last season. If I am mistake it's more like 7-7 or 8-8. This just in, he's a very good kicker and the most accurate in Bills history.

6. A rather remarkable stat: 4-51

That's the total number of catches and yards the Patriots WRs had all day against our zone coverage secondary mostly with two raw rookie safeties. And you can add the 4-73 which are the numbers for the two TEs that were supposed to kill us had. Again, the defense played great under the circumstances.

7. The we need to do better stat: 2-25/2-24

Catches and yards by Lee Evans and Willis. Yes, A-train pitched in for 2-16 which makes 4-40 out of the backfield which isn't horrible but is far from good. I thought Fairchild should have called more swing and flat passes to Willis. The Pats did a good job taking Evans out but we didn't even try to go deep to loosen them up. These are not the players stats that were bad as much as they were a combination of the players and plays and opponents and coaching. But we need to do much better.

8. The most amazing stat ever: 1-10

That was the number of interceptions and yards returning for Donte Whitner, the first player in the history of the NFL to be called out of bounds after having FIVE FEET in bounds, two of his own and three of the field's.

9. The most telling stat in the difference between the teams: 0-1 and 2-2

Those were the fourth down conversions and probably the difference in the game. The Bills missed their only shot, the Pats made both of theirs.

10. A stat that gives us hope: 3/23-2 3/27-7

These are the sacks for and against. The Bills on the road with a suspect QB and OL against a great front were sacked three times for 23 yards and lost 2 points on a safety. The Pats at home with a great line and great QB against a suspect front were sacked three times for 27 yards and gave up seven points.

11. Most interesting stat: 9-1

Those are the tackles and assists made by Terrence McGee. Considering that the WRs on the Pats only caught 4 passes total and one or two against Mcgee makes this more remarkable. Granted, a few of those were on running backs well past the first down marker but Terrence had a solid game in run support as well as pass coverage. This just in, he's as good as Clements.

12. The nice job stats: 4-4-8... 4-3-7

Those are the tackle/assist stats of Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson in their first game ever with neither starting and neither getting beat like a drum in the passing game. Throw in the INT and we have ourselves some safeties.

Stats obviously tell very little in the long run and can be manipulated as we all know but they are also fun and often provide little windows.

1. Most important stat: 0-1

There are no moral victories. We lost a game we could've/should've won that would've taken us a long way in our resurgence.

2. Most revealing stat: 10 points.

That is how much the defense gave up against Brady and co. on the road in new schemes with new players, an injured TK and Vincent and sometimes five rookies playing. Yes, they gave up 17 but they scored 7 completely by themselves in one play. The defense not only played well, they played very well. Yes, they couldn't stop the Pats when they needed to but it took diving TD receptions to do it. And you can't expect a shutout.

3. Most ridiculous stat: 1-5

One penalty for five yards against a team in any game is almost impossible to believe. That doesn't even count the blatant holds, jumping offsides and other shenanigans that we can actually point to.

That's JP's quarterback rating, which is commonly a worthless stat. 86.1 is a pretty good rating and one we would likely be happy with any game and over the course of the season. He wasn't that good though. His plays and head were "relatively" good but he didn't get on the scoreboard through the air. He lacked chunkability. He had the fateful safety. He had trouble holding the ball on some snaps. Granted, it's a team game and a lot of that is not his fault but again the QB rating is misleading, as it usually will be.

5. TD Haters stat: 6-6

If I'm not mistaken that is Ryan Lindell in his last 6 kicks over 50 yards counting this pre-season and last season. If I am mistake it's more like 7-7 or 8-8. This just in, he's a very good kicker and the most accurate in Bills history.

6. A rather remarkable stat: 4-51

That's the total number of catches and yards the Patriots WRs had all day against our zone coverage secondary mostly with two raw rookie safeties. And you can add the 4-73 which are the numbers for the two TEs that were supposed to kill us had. Again, the defense played great under the circumstances.

7. The we need to do better stat: 2-25/2-24

Catches and yards by Lee Evans and Willis. Yes, A-train pitched in for 2-16 which makes 4-40 out of the backfield which isn't horrible but is far from good. I thought Fairchild should have called more swing and flat passes to Willis. The Pats did a good job taking Evans out but we didn't even try to go deep to loosen them up. These are not the players stats that were bad as much as they were a combination of the players and plays and opponents and coaching. But we need to do much better.

8. The most amazing stat ever: 1-10

That was the number of interceptions and yards returning for Donte Whitner, the first player in the history of the NFL to be called out of bounds after having FIVE FEET in bounds, two of his own and three of the field's.

9. The most telling stat in the difference between the teams: 0-1 and 2-2

Those were the fourth down conversions and probably the difference in the game. The Bills missed their only shot, the Pats made both of theirs.

10. A stat that gives us hope: 3/23-2  3/27-7

These are the sacks for and against. The Bills on the road with a suspect QB and OL against a great front were sacked three times for 23 yards and lost 2 points on a safety. The Pats at home with a great line and great QB against a suspect front were sacked three times for 27 yards and gave up seven points.

11. Most interesting stat: 9-1

Those are the tackles and assists made by Terrence McGee. Considering that the WRs on the Pats only caught 4 passes total and one or two against Mcgee makes this more remarkable. Granted, a few of those were on running backs well past the first down marker but Terrence had a solid game in run support as well as pass coverage.  This just in, he's as good as Clements.

12. The nice job stats: 4-4-8... 4-3-7

Those are the tackle/assist stats of Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson in their first game ever with neither starting and neither getting beat like a drum in the passing game. Throw in the INT and we have ourselves some safeties.

Stats obviously tell very little in the long run and can be manipulated as we all know but they are also fun and often provide little windows.

769741[/snapback]

GREAT post, Dog.

True JP wasn't outstanding, but I sure like what I saw. The play he made on the Bills 1st offensive play really was impressive, IMO, and gave me hope for things to come. I think it would have been better for him had the Bills run the ball in the 2nd half, but I'm resigned to believing that will just NEVER happen no matter who the coach is.

Weekly misleading stat: 86.1

769741[/snapback]

JP wasn't as good as 86.1 huh? Does the QB rating formula take into account the strength of the opponent, or the opponents' coaches? No? Well then, I'd say he earned every bit of that 86.1.

It's 25 tackles from the secondary at the end, and that's not a good sign if it's more htan the total number of pass attempts - and twice as much as the completion rate.

769764[/snapback]

True. DB tackles stats are the most misleading of all. 10 tackles could signify you had an awesome game and 10 tackles could signify you were beaten all day long and were just holding on to the guy or shoving him out of bounds 40 yards down the field all day. And a lot of times if your DBs are making tackles that means the DL and LBs stink. I just though the two kids played well.

True. DB tackles stats are the most misleading of all. 10 tackles could signify you had an awesome game and 10 tackles could signify you were beaten all day long and were just holding on to the guy or shoving him out of bounds 40 yards down the field all day. And a lot of times if your DBs are making tackles that means the DL and LBs stink. I just though the two kids played well.

769853[/snapback]

great post, but i'd add that all tackle stats are misleading. bad teams make more tackles, and in any event *someone* has to get credited with tackles on every single play. it's like a guy who averages 20 points on a bad nba team -- even the terrible teams score 80 points a night. *someone* has to do the scoring. also, if a player stinks and teams run at him all game, he still may end up leading the team in tackles.

769741[/snapback]

Nicely done. What I find interesting about JPs ball handling is that he was using balls that he chose. A new rule this year lets teams bring balls that are to their QBs liking. I don't remember any issues with this from last year?

Wonder if Holcomb messed with JPs balls? :angry:

Good post, but I need to disagree with you on two things:

1. I think JP's performance does merit a rating of 86. 86 is a decent rating, nothing great, nothing bad. That was his performance. He did some good things, but he didn't do anything disastrous (and the safety, as I've said before, was a complete team effort). I give him a little more credit than you do.

2. The we need to do better stat. For me, by far and away it's: 41-183-4.5...rushing attempts, yards, and yards-per-carry for the Pats. We need to do much, much better or this will be a long season. Coming into this year, my biggest worry was our run defense. That didn't do much to allay my fear.

Great post kelly, and here are a few other key numbers from the game.

2:59 - the buffalo bills time of possession in the 4th quarter. Might be nice to have the ball for longer than 3 minutes in the 4th quarter of a tie/1 score game.

10/39 - the number of offensive plays the bills ran after being stopped on 4th and 1, and the number of plays the pats ran in that same time. In the span of time that we had 10 offensive plays, the pats has DRIVES of 12, 14, and 12 plays.

He also corrected the NFL in stating that Brady's day was simply 163 yards with two TDs and a pick. Apparently the first play of the game didn't count. :angry:

769914[/snapback]

he also likes ot omit brady's sub 50% completion % (11-23) on the day. but if that was losman...

Great post kelly, and here are a few other key numbers from the game.

2:59 - the buffalo bills time of possession in the 4th quarter. Might be nice to have the ball for longer than 3 minutes in the 4th quarter of a tie/1 score game.

10/39 - the number of offensive plays the bills ran after being stopped on 4th and 1, and the number of plays the pats ran in that same time. In the span of time that we had 10 offensive plays, the pats has DRIVES of 12, 14, and 12 plays.

769902[/snapback]

Biggest 2 points some seem to overlook. Its not as if JP got flustered or began making errant throws or bad mistakes he just wasn't given the chance to win or lose the game. For 2 straight series after the 4th and 1, we either played conservative, running for no gains and not playing aggressive or had bad field position and he got a safety. The next time he got the ball he completes it for 1st down but it gets called back for a clip. Then he never got another chance as the D couldn't get the ball back. IF our run D played better it was an easy win. IF we convert and go up 24-7 the game is over as our pass rush and pass coverage would have been too much for the Pats to handle.

The defense not only played well, they played very well. Yes, they couldn't stop the Pats when they needed to but it took diving TD receptions to do it. And you can't expect a shutout.

769741[/snapback]

The Pat gained 180+ yards rushing averaging over 4.8 ypc(minus Brady's kneel downs at the end of the game). The defense had it's moments, but you won't win many games giving up that many rushing yards or that kind of ypc average.

1. I think JP's performance does merit a rating of 86. 86 is a decent rating, nothing great, nothing bad. That was his performance. He did some good things, but he didn't do anything disastrous (and the safety, as I've said before, was a complete team effort). I give him a little more credit than you do.

2. The we need to do better stat. For me, by far and away it's: 41-183-4.5...rushing attempts, yards, and yards-per-carry for the Pats. We need to do much, much better or this will be a long season. Coming into this year, my biggest worry was our run defense. That didn't do much to allay my fear.

769888[/snapback]

Sorry... did not see your post regarding the poor run defense before posting my reply above. We agree! :angry:

The Pat gained 180+ yards rushing averaging over 4.8 ypc(minus Brady's kneel downs at the end of the game).    The defense had it's moments, but you won't win many games giving up that many rushing yards or that kind of ypc average.

770013[/snapback]

You do when you only give up 17 points and you score 7 yourself.

I got one for you:

2 - the number of times I wished Antoine Winfield was back on the Bills as both McGee and Greer shot by their WR on a quick pass.

Man that guy could tackle... :angry:

770029[/snapback]

Just 2? I think I counted at least 6 times I wished for Winfield.

769888[/snapback]

1. I am as big a JP fan and supporter as there is here I think, but still try to look at him and his game objectively. That's why I put "relatively" in quotes. For how he has played previously, for his youth, for the position he was put in yesterday, you're right. He played about an 86.1, and a little better than I gave him credit for.

But I was thinking more along the lines of ANY quarterback that had that game versus JP Losman that had that game. And I don't think it was an 86.1 but more like a 75.9. We need to get the ball in the endzone. We need to get the ball downfield. We need to pick up some first downs in the fourth period that put the game away whether they are difficult or not. We need to protect the ball and the endzone a little more. We need to find ways to get the ball in our playmakers hands.

He didn't throw an INT, he didn't play dumb, he did a lot of things quite well. He was good for JP but not good for QB and I think we have to look at his play on parallel levels, not just the he's young and raw level.

2. We surely have to stop the run better and that could easily have been the we need to do better stat. This was a tough test. I watched Maroney in college a little and a lot this pre-season and he is a stud. We had to protect our young guys a little too much and that allowed them IMO to take advantage in the run game.

But I was thinking more along the lines of ANY quarterback that had that game versus JP Losman that had that game. And I don't think it was an 86.1 but more like a 75.9.

770046[/snapback]

I'd rather have you assign a KTFBD rating than go with the quarterback rating. What if they had two more rushing touchdowns on drives he led ? Same rating. It is just nuts.

But I'd bump him to 87 for the snap over the head 20 yarder to Josh Reed of all people. When is that ever going to happen ? Worthy of a bonus.

1. I am as big a JP fan and supporter as there is here I think, but still try to look at him and his game objectively. That's why I put "relatively" in quotes. For how he has played previously, for his youth, for the position he was put in yesterday, you're right. He played about an 86.1, and a little better than I gave him credit for.

But I was thinking more along the lines of ANY quarterback that had that game versus JP Losman that had that game. And I don't think it was an 86.1 but more like a 75.9. We need to get the ball in the endzone. We need to get the ball downfield. We need to pick up some first downs in the fourth period that put the game away whether they are difficult or not. We need to protect the ball and the endzone a little more. We need to find ways to get the ball in our playmakers hands.

He didn't throw an INT, he didn't play dumb, he did a lot of things quite well. He was good for JP but not good for QB and I think we have to look at his play on parallel levels, not just the he's young and raw level.

2. We surely have to stop the run better and that could easily have been the we need to do better stat. This was a tough test. I watched Maroney in college a little and a lot this pre-season and he is a stud. We had to protect our young guys a little too much and that allowed them IMO to take advantage in the run game.

770046[/snapback]

I'll buy that...and I'll also chime in that it was a very entertaining post. Keep it up through the year!