I get the feeling that Steve Foley....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being someone who has come within a few feet of a very hairy situation with someone who presented themselves as a police officer, I'd like to hear Foley's side of it. Was their some inherent way SF could tell said dude was an officer? If some guy in street clothes starts brandishing a weapon in my direction, I might take action (not grab a gun) first, ask questions later.

I heard today on a local sports show that his blood test came back at 3x the legal limit (.08 in Cali). That supposedly is from an 'insider', anyway...if true, who really cares what Foley has to say?

I also know many are inclined to question the officer's actions but what if an off-duty officer witnesses a robbery, rape or murder? Is he justified in doing nothing? Wouldn't those of you who criticize him for his actions in the Foley case complain that he had a duty to do something?

Folks, you can't have your cake and eat it too...

As a wise old Commanding Officer once told me "Nothing good happens out on the streets after 0100". While that is debatable, I think you get my point.

I heard on sports talk radio where policemen from other cities and such where calling this cops actions way out of line. The general consensus was that he should have called a squad car to make the collar. He should have hung back and observed since he is not in uniform.

Apparantly Foley doubted he was a police officer. I see a crack of light here. Foley will sue and win. Not the DUI part though.

I heard on sports talk radio where policemen from other cities and such where calling this cops actions way out of line. The general consensus was that he should have called a squad car to make the collar. He should have hung back and observed since he is not in uniform.

Apparantly Foley doubted he was a police officer. I see a crack of light here. Foley will sue and win. Not the DUI part though.

762609[/snapback]

Did you also read in the UT that he did call in to report that he was following a suspected DUI?

As for local sports radio, of course they're upset...they lost the starting linebacker for the season. I might be in the minority here, but I believe in holding people accountable for their actions. Dude should not have been drinking and driving in the 1st place...

Did you also read in the UT that he did call in to report that he was following a suspected DUI?

As for local sports radio, of course they're upset...they lost the starting linebacker for the season. I might be in the minority here, but I believe in holding people accountable for their actions. Dude should not have been drinking and driving in the 1st place...

762699[/snapback]

I believe people are accountable as well, but I think the guy should have waited for a squad car. Just some guy in street clothes holding a gun is a scary idea. I think I would have doubts myself as to whether this guy really is a cop. It could be a nutjob with bad intentions. People have been known to pose as cops.

What is it with off-duty cops?... Why can't they just call the on duty ones?  Not that I don't agree with them being pressed into service (or take sides in this matter) in a situation like this... Things usually SEEM to get more FUBARed than actually help.

Is there a way that they coordinate with the on duty staff?

762416[/snapback]

Note to self and all, don't make any dirogatory comments about police officers. It doesn't go over very well.

Nice save with that "not that i don't agree with and the" or "take sides on the matter". :wacko:

Note to self and all, don't make any dirogatory comments about police officers. It doesn't go over very well.

Nice save with that "not that i don't agree with and the" or "take sides on the matter". :wacko:

762761[/snapback]

So true. Regardless of personal opinions, it's better to keep them silent sometimes.

Cleveland lost a police officer last week after a guy shot through his front door at 12 cops who were trying to serve this scumbag a warrant on rape charges. The funeral is today and much of the city is in mourning, but I've heard some idiots call radio talk shows this week and scream about how evil Cleveland cops are.

Folks, these people put their lives on the line for us. But we've heard it all before.

If you don't want to have a conflict with a police officer, do the following:

1) Don't drive drunk.

2) Don't speed.

3) Don't use drugs.

4) Don't be out at 3:30 in the morning weaving at 90 mph through traffic. As SD Jarhead quoted here earlier, nothing good happens after 1:00 AM.

5) If the above four fail, follow all directions of the police officer. That way, chances are you don't get shot. They do warn you.

If you obey the law, you have nothing to worry about. If not, well then, nothing I say will change your mind.

Mike

I heard today on a local sports show that his blood test came back at 3x the legal limit (.08 in Cali). That supposedly is from an 'insider', anyway...if true, who really cares what Foley has to say?

What he had to say at the time would be unimportant, but if he could shed some light on the situation I'd like to hear it.

I also know many are inclined to question the officer's actions but what if an off-duty officer witnesses a robbery, rape or murder? Is he justified in doing nothing? Wouldn't those of you who criticize him for his actions in the Foley case complain that he had a duty to do something?

No I would not criticize an off duty officer. Said officer must realize that he is putting himself in harms way because he is not acting within normal police parameters. Calling this in would have been the prudent thing to do.

Why is the HOMICIDE division investigating a nonfatal shooting?

762214[/snapback]

Probably agency policy. Generally, these types of incidents are handled with much more investigative fortitude than Joe popping a couple rounds in Cincy outside the local gay bar. :wacko:

5) If the above four fail, follow all directions of the police officer.  That way, chances are you don't get shot.  They do warn you.

762774[/snapback]

What if the officer is not really an officer but someone who is looking to do harm? He is an athlete who most people would know as having $$$. I don't support anything Foley did in this incident, but a police officer has to know that when he is not in uniform driving an unmarked vehicle, that the situation could appear dangerous to the offender.

What if the officer is not really an officer but someone who is looking to do harm?  He is an athlete who most people would know as having $$$.  I don't support anything Foley did in this incident, but a police officer has to know that when he is not in uniform driving an unmarked vehicle, that the situation could appear dangerous to the offender.

762781[/snapback]

Did this off-duty officer ID himself as an officer? Did he flash a badge?

We don't know at this point.

My post had more to do with those who are clearly identifiable, I guess.

The only tragedy in this situation is that Foley still draws breath. The off-duty cop had a chance to enforce Darwin's Law but must have been a bad shot...

762056[/snapback]

Nothing classier than wishing death upon someone. ;)

No matter how you break it down, an unarmed man was shot 3 times. I understand the cops have to react quickly and can't imagine doing their job but 3 shots seems excessive.

That said, if you got the money Foley has, you should call a cab. Hope he had a good nite out because it cost him millions and nearly his life.

No matter how you break it down, an unarmed man was shot 3 times.  I understand the cops have to react quickly and can't imagine doing their job but 3 shots seems excessive.

763614[/snapback]

LOL. 3 shots excessive? It is harder than it looks on television.

A NYC Police Officer once fired 6 shots at a person in a Bowery flophouse. The man was charging him with a machete. He was hit 5 times, yet his momentum carried him into the officer, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

You must be pretty tough, because I can't think of a very good way to fight him.

Notice the height/weight, and take into account if you will that he is a trained, professional athlete, and a criminal with a violent past.

A better question to ask would be why the police officer saw fit to get involved off duty, and leave himself open to questioning from internal affairs vultures, disingenuous "community activists," as well as rank amateurs. He could have called it a night, went to bed, and woke up no worse for wear. Perhaps he felt that stopping this violent miscreant might save somebody in the community from getting killed.

My money says that if it happens again, this same cop will look the other way, and I would not blame him. Not at all.

Sounds pretty darn suspicious to me. Off-Duty cop (was he actually in Coronado when this happened or outside of his jurisdiction) sees a car weaving. I understand calling it in and following the vehicle but what the hell is he thinking trying to stop the car by himself in plain clothes and in a non-police car? Should have waited for the squad car. This is going to be messy.

Sounds pretty darn suspicious to me.  Off-Duty cop (was he actually in Coronado when this happened or outside of his jurisdiction) sees a car weaving. I understand calling it in and following the vehicle but what the hell is he thinking trying to stop the car by himself in plain clothes and in a non-police car?  Should have waited for the squad car.  This is going to be messy.

763752[/snapback]

Messy perhaps, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

How messy would proving that Foley was the driver have gotten if he was sleeping in his bed when the squad car arrived?

Again, my perspective is to give the officer the benefit of the doubt. Foley falls a distant second in this case.

Sounds pretty darn suspicious to me.  Off-Duty cop (was he actually in Coronado when this happened or outside of his jurisdiction) sees a car weaving. I understand calling it in and following the vehicle but what the hell is he thinking trying to stop the car by himself in plain clothes and in a non-police car?  Should have waited for the squad car.  This is going to be messy.

763752[/snapback]

Probably.

Until all of the facts come out, it's tough to speculate on what happened. I just know that it's tough either way nowadays. When a person is stopped, they are @ risk. Even if you comply, something can happen (example: my uncle is a quadraplegic w/ a van equipped for him to drive; what if he had a spasm during a stop by a cop and the cop gets an itchy trigger during it?). Now, that said, you also have to feel for the cop who goes into the situation not knowing what will happen and, I'm sure, fearing for the worst.