Oh man, Matt Leinart looked good too

zow2

I didn't think Leinart would be much in the pros, but last night in Chicago he did show poise, accuracy and zip on the ball,,,,,and escapability.

We already know Jay Cutler has looked really good.

C'mon JP, you need to come through for us or not taking one of these two QB's may come back to haunt the franchise.

It is still pre-season, right?

752192[/snapback]

Even if it's preseason it's still a valid comparison since JP is playing in the preseason also.

I know all the Levy apologists are going to hate this but the 2006 Draft will always be known as the Matt Leinart draft if this kid turns into a quality QB and Losman craps the bed. It won't even matter what Whitner does. Whitner could be the Bills equivalent to Doug Wickenheiser when the Canadians passed on Denis Savard. :w00t:

Even if it's preseason it's still a valid comparison since JP is playing in the preseason also.

I know all the Levy apologists are going to hate this but the 2006 Draft will always be known as the Matt Leinart draft if this kid turns into a quality QB and Losman craps the bed.

752204[/snapback]

I disagree. For Levy, this draft was all about Whitner. Turning down offers for extra picks and reaching for Whitner was a shocking move. To then proceed to follow this up with yet more dbs in the 3rd and 4th round was nothing short of mind boggling considering the Bills many needs.

Tell me, if we had drafted Leinart, what would we have done with JP. Trade him? He cost the Bills a 1st, 2nd, and a 5th. How much do you think we could have got for him in a trade AFTER the draft? My guess would be a 3rd in 07, maybe less, but it is admittedly hard (if not impossible) to gauge.

I don't know if JP is, or ever will be any good. That said, the Bills at some point simply have to stop throwing away cap dollars and early draft selections on qbs, who are all but certain to be beaten half to death. JP is already here at a hefty price. We might as well see if he can play football.

The bottom line for me is that this was a draft that was ill matched toward the needs of the Buffalo Bills, but one of the only things that I DID like about it is that we passed on Leinart.

Last night, Leinart also looked better than Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme and Big Ben. Big Ben was missing guys all over the place...worst yet, he was missing reads. Dononvan was overthrowing everyone, as was Jake two nights ago.

Sounds like Leinart is going all the way this year.

Let's draft a QB every 2 years with a first round pick. That's the way you build a championship team. :w00t: Especially when you got a former 1st round pick who is obviously a bust after 8 starts. ;)

This wasn't meant to be directed at the posted because they were positive in their comments. But this whole wanting evey young QB from Schaub to Rivers to Culter to Leinart is just silly. They have proven nothing. Let's give John Paul a chance.

Tell me, if we had drafted Leinart, what would we have done with JP. Trade him? He cost the Bills a 1st, 2nd, and a 5th. How much do you think we could have got for him in a trade AFTER the draft? My guess would be a 3rd in 07, maybe less, but it is admittedly hard (if not impossible) to gauge.

752212[/snapback]

The problem with thinking like that is your mistakes continue to cost you. Sometimes you just have to suck it up, admit that a mistake was made, make the corrective action, and go on from there. I'm not saying Losman is at that point, but it doesn't look good and the fact that the Bills passed on two young QBs that are looking very good at this point makes Losman's growing pains harder to deal with.

Sure, leinart had some great numbers, but did you see any of the game? A lot fo his completions were to wide open WR's. Also, leinarts passes show a decided lack of zip on them. Sure he can toss the ball, but notice how the 15-20 yard patterns just dont get there with any significant velocity. Put that arm in the codl weather and swirling winds of late fall/early winter in the ralph, and i have no confidence he could zip a 10 yard out past a defender into our WR's arms.

But then again, i am making a logical analysis here. Thats perhaps where i went wrong.

I didn't think Leinart would be much in the pros, but last night in Chicago he did show poise, accuracy and zip on the ball,,,,,and escapability.   

We already know Jay Cutler has looked really good.

C'mon JP,  you need to come through for us or not taking one of these two QB's may come back to haunt the franchise.

752189[/snapback]

Leinhart may turn out to be very good, but in my opinion NOT in the northeast. There is no way that guy would ever have gotten comfortable playing in wind, snow, etc and oh, not being surrounded by 40 All-American's like he was the past 4 years.

JP may not ultimately be the answer, but turning to Leinhart would have been another disaster in the making. I just don't see the "Delphi lunchpail guys buying in to his laid-back, SoCal attitude" :w00t:

Leinart is going to look good for the most part. There are certain things he does very, very well. He's extremely poised and he's smart and he's accurate with the short stuff. He can even surprise you running a little bit and with his touch on the run. He's probably going to have a pretty good or very good QB rating but it will be distorted.

He also has a couple major weaknesses IMO that simply doom him because you cannot learn them. He's Chad Pennington and he's going to get killed, he's going to get his receivers killed, and he's going to frustrate the hell out of his fans and coaches and players over time. Frankly, I really don't want him anywhere near the Bills.

Not to mention that he dated Paris Hilton. That's really all you need to know about his personality.

Sure, leinart had some great numbers, but did you see any of the game? A lot fo his completions were to wide open WR's. Also, leinarts passes show a decided lack of zip on them. Sure he can toss the ball, but notice how the 15-20 yard patterns just dont get there with any significant velocity. Put that arm in the codl weather and swirling winds of late fall/early winter in the ralph, and i have no confidence he could zip a 10 yard out past a defender into our WR's arms.

But then again, i am making a logical analysis here. Thats perhaps where i went wrong.

752238[/snapback]

That's it, I am telling on you! Seriously, you're dead on. I was watching the rebroadcast earlier this morning on NFL network and was thinking the same thing.

Last night, Leinart also looked better than Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme and Big Ben. Big Ben was missing guys all over the place...worst yet, he was missing reads. Dononvan was overthrowing everyone, as was Jake two nights ago.

Sounds like Leinart is going all the way this year.

752225[/snapback]

Are you really comparing Losman to those QB's? :w00t:

Leinart is going to look good for the most part. There are certain things he does very, very well. He's extremely poised and he's smart and he's accurate with the short stuff. He can even surprise you running a little bit and with his touch on the run. He's probably going to have a pretty good or very good QB rating but it will be distorted.

He also has a couple major weaknesses IMO that simply doom him because you cannot learn them. He's Chad Pennington and he's going to get killed, he's going to get his receivers killed, and he's going to frustrate the hell out of his fans and coaches and players over time. Frankly, I really don't want him anywhere near the Bills.

Not to mention that he dated Paris Hilton. That's really all you need to know about his personality.

752251[/snapback]

Kelly I agree for the most part. especially that the Bills were right to pass on him..JP has the better arm and the much better athletic ability..and it would be stupid to draft another 1st rd qb before the team really knows what it has with the last 1st round QB..One thing though, the 26 yarder to Fitzgerald at the end of the first half to set up a field goal was arm strength that Pennington has never shown. Leinart is going to be better than Pennington.

I caught three drives..the first one which he looked lost and almost through an easy pick to a LB; the field goal drive in 55 seconds where he moved them about 50 yards with mostly dinks and dunks but he had the really good looking throw to Fitzgerald--who granted was wide open and then the TD drive...the Bears first team D was on the field for the FG drive and they were playing soft but they were sending 5 or 6 on every play and he made all the right reads and throws after one week in camp...Arizona is going to be very happy that he fell to them--and Brenda Warner is going to be back on talk shows after Kurt gets hurt and never gets back on the field.

Sure, leinart had some great numbers, but did you see any of the game? A lot fo his completions were to wide open WR's.

And a lot of JP's incompletions are to wide open receivers. So what's your point?

Also, leinarts passes show a decided lack of zip on them. Sure he can toss the ball, but notice how the 15-20 yard patterns just dont get there with any significant velocity. Put that arm in the codl weather and swirling winds of late fall/early winter in the ralph, and i have no confidence he could zip a 10 yard out past a defender into our WR's arms.

752238[/snapback]

Have you ever heard of Bernie Kosar? He was a prety decent QB with an average arm. And there is another QB in the northeast who doesn't have a "gun" for an arm. What was his name again. Tom Brady or something like that.

If you build a strong line, a solid running game and a defense that will shorten the field you don't need a big arm to compensate. But since the Bills don't have any of those things I can guess your right. Why waste the pick. :w00t:

Kelly I agree for the most part. especially that the Bills were right to pass on him..JP has the better arm and the much better athletic ability..and it would be stupid to draft another 1st rd qb before the team really knows what it has with the last 1st round QB..One thing though, the 26 yarder to Fitzgerald at the end of the first half to set up a field goal was arm strength that Pennington has never shown.  Leinart is going to be better than Pennington. 

I caught three drives..the first one which he looked lost and almost through an easy pick to a LB; the field goal drive in 55 seconds where he moved them about 50 yards with mostly dinks and dunks but he had the really good looking throw to Fitzgerald--who granted was wide open and then the TD drive...the Bears first team D was on the field for the FG drive and they were playing soft but they were sending 5 or 6 on every play and he made all the right reads and throws after one week in camp...Arizona is going to be very happy that he fell to them--and Brenda Warner is going to be back on talk shows after Kurt gets hurt and never gets back on the field.

752262[/snapback]

Maybe. He's surely in a perfect situation there, the best place he could possibly be. No one knows this and it's all talk, and he surely has the talent and intangibles to be a very good if not great NFL quarterback. It's my opinion though that his arm is going to hurt him bad, and that he's going to get hurt a lot. He's going to take vicious hits because he's just a touch too slow in everything he does. And that touch can get you murdered in the NFL.

And a lot of JP's incompletions are to wide open receivers. So what's your point?

Have you ever heard of Bernie Kosar? He was a prety decent QB with an average arm. And there is another QB in the northeast who doesn't have a "gun" for an arm. What was his name again. Tom Brady or something like that.

If  you build a strong line, a solid running game and a defense that will shorten the field you don't need a big arm to compensate. But since the Bills don't have any of those things I can guess your right. Why waste the pick.  :w00t:

752263[/snapback]

IMO Brady's arm is much stronger than Leinart's, and Brady doesn't have a strong arm. Plus Brady gets it out a lot quicker.