Three Team Trade

Chilly

Atlanta's RB T.J. Duckett goes to Washington.

Denver's WR Ashley Lelie goes to Atlanta.

Washington sends a 3rd round pick to Denver.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...823duckett.html

749769[/snapback]

I wonder why Atlanta continues to make trades for WRs when Vick doesn't seem like he wants to get the ball to them.

Not a bad move for Washington as an insurance policy though it makes me wonder if Portis' injury isn't more severe than they're letting on.

I wonder why Atlanta continues to make trades for WRs when Vick doesn't seem like he wants to get the ball to them.

749786[/snapback]

I wondered the same thing. Its like they REFUSE to believe that its Michael Vick's fault. It has to be their crappy...uhhm...first round WRs and FA WRs who proved themselves before they came to Atlanta. Cant be Vick's fault.

Gotta be the WRs.

Atlanta will keep trading for wr's until they realize the real problem isn't the wr's but #7, but I also think theres some sort of conflict in the falcons organization and thats why they refuse to trade matt schaub. On the other note The Redskins hate draft picks, but TJ Duckett is good insurance for the redskins, and could be a good short yardage/goalline back.

... though it makes me wonder if Portis' injury isn't more severe than they're letting on.

749786[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. Portis could be out a lot longer than expected. A third round pick is a lot to give up just for a short yardage/goaline back. Something else is going on in DC.

I wondered the same thing.  Its like they REFUSE to believe that its Michael Vick's fault.  It has to be their crappy...uhhm...first round WRs and FA WRs who proved themselves before they came to Atlanta.  Cant be Vick's fault.

Gotta be the WRs.

749791[/snapback]

If they admit that Vick has faults than he won't be the poster boy for the Atlanta Falcons or the NFL. I say the NFL because i truly believe that the NFL has wanted him to succeed so that they can hype the living sh-- out of him. I think this is very evident in last years game against the Bills when it seemed as though the refs were in a way protecting him by throwing two ruoughing the passer flags when the one there was not a chance in hell of it.

With his success, the NFL can appeal to African American's even more than it does now and they can gripe about how Michael Vick is revolutionizing the position of qb. It is a conspiracy theory in a way, but that is just how it would look from a business perspective.

If they admit that Vick has faults than he won't be the poster boy for the Atlanta Falcons or the NFL. I say the NFL because i truly believe that the NFL has wanted him to succeed so that they can hype the living sh-- out of him. I think this is very evident in last years game against the Bills when it seemed as though the refs were in a way protecting him by throwing two ruoughing the passer flags when the one there was not a chance in hell of it.

With his success, the NFL can appeal to African American's even more than it does now and they can gripe about how Michael Vick is revolutionizing the position of qb. It is a conspiracy theory in a way, but that is just how it would look from a business perspective.

749819[/snapback]

deep.

Ashley Lelie is Peerless Price all over again for the Falcons. He won't do jack for that team. He clearly doesn't have the route running skills of a #1 WR. He also developes aligator arms when going over the middle to catch a pass. He's fast and can beat a zone deep from time to time, but that's it. And it's not a garauntee that Vick can throw the ball accurately enough to hit him in stride 50 yards down the field. But they did need a receiver :devil:

My thoughts exactly. Portis could be out a lot longer than expected. A third round pick is a lot to give up just for a short yardage/goaline back. Something else is going on in DC.

749803[/snapback]

Given the decent performance of Gates this pre-season, how about we trade them A-train for a 'good' draft pick ? A-train is more than a short yardage player

I wondered the same thing.  Its like they REFUSE to believe that its Michael Vick's fault.  It has to be their crappy...uhhm...first round WRs and FA WRs who proved themselves before they came to Atlanta.  Cant be Vick's fault.

Gotta be the WRs.

749791[/snapback]

Last year it was also the QB coaches fault. Thats why he's fired now. :devil:

Atlanta will keep trading for wr's until they realize the real problem isn't the wr's but #7, but I also think theres some sort of conflict in the falcons organization and thats why they refuse to trade matt schaub. 

749797[/snapback]

I think they are very high on Schaub, but they don't trade him because they understand the style that Vick plays leaves him much more susceptable to injury than a normal pocket QB. He has been injured almost every year, and they feel like Schaub can come in a get the job done. He is a free agent after this year, so that's when we will be able to see just how valuable Schaub is to the franchise.

It's like the Sabres...They traded Noronen instead of Biron last year, because they felt like they had a championship-caliber squad, and if Miller suffered another freak injury, they would still have a chance with Biron.

Like everyone else, I don't think Vick is a great passer, and most WRs will suffer when playing with him. But you can't argue with the Falcons record with Vick vs. without him...They win a lot more with him.

Enters the 2006 season ranked sixth in winning percentage among current NFL starting quarterbacks (.618).

Vick has a career record of 33-21-1 in games which he started (including 2-2 in the postseason.) Since the start of the 2003 season, Atlanta is 2-13 in games which he did not start.

Last year it was also the QB coaches fault. Thats why he's fired now.  :devil:

749991[/snapback]

I don't want to get too deeply into conspiracy theories, but I do think the Vick case shows what happens when a team and a league decided to anoint someone as a star before he laces them up, then that guy has just enough success to keep people expecting that he will do more. So many people WANT Vick to be a big star that they hope saying it will make it so, when it might turn out that he will "just" be a solid, talented pro football player. Randall Cunningham comes to mind, though Randall was not hyped until after he got into the NFL.

There is something amusing about all this. As far back as the late 1980s, (remember "Randall, the Ultimate Weapon"?), NFLers have been predicting that the future lay with college style running QBs, even as championships have been won either by nimble non-runners like Joe Montana or Tom Brady, and even statues such as Troy Aikman. Even when more running types have had success (Steve Young, to an extent Donovan McNabb) it has only happened when they learned that there were times when you needed to be able to stand in the pocket, plant your feet, and deliver an accurate throw. Kordell's inability to do that consistently held the Steelers back, and it shows the power of the image of "the QB of the future" that it took repeated playoff failures to convince the Steelers to move on... Even Flutie found out that a good defense with a spy would force him to make throws and expose his weaknesses (note his record against the Jests in 1998-99).

Vick is just the latest in a line of QBs who have been hyped because they appeared to fit the mold of the future that is constantly predicted and never arises... One wonders whether anyone could actually live up to the expectations placed on Vick. It is part of the ESPNification of sports, which then leads people to forget how big the difference is between college football, where the talent differential between teams can be so enormous, and the pro game.

Vince Young will be the next victim of the syndrome. He has so many talents that he will make plays, but I seriously doubt he will be Superman. (Though I am a historian, not a clairvoyant, and make no claims to predictive powers...) Ironically, to my mind, Leinart has it slightly easier. If he fails, people will shrug and say "arm not strong enough," but the pressure on teams not to give up on Vick or Young will be so great it will be harder for them to move on.

Ashley Lelie is Peerless Price all over again for the Falcons. He won't do jack for that team. He clearly doesn't have the route running skills of a #1 WR. He also developes aligator arms when going over the middle to catch a pass. He's fast and can beat a zone deep from time to time, but that's it. And it's not a garauntee that Vick can throw the ball accurately enough to hit him in stride 50 yards down the field. But they did need a receiver :devil:

749886[/snapback]

Actually, Lelie is nowhere near the acommplished WR that Price was when he hit Atlanta. If Price couldn't help that passing game, I don't know how they feel Lelie is going to be the answer.

Randall Cunningham comes to mind, though Randall was not hyped until after he got into the NFL.

There is something amusing about all this. As far back as the late 1980s, (remember "Randall, the Ultimate Weapon"?)

750029[/snapback]

I believe Cunningham's career would've been completely different if he hadn't gotten his leg broken while he was scrambling around. I think it actually might've happened to him twice, but I know once for sure. Cunningham was also a better passer than these other "scrambling" QB's you mentioned. He had a monster year with the Vikes when they were 14-2 or 13-3. The year that Atlanta ended up beating them so they could go to the SB and get stomped.

Washington just giving away more draft picks. A 3rd and a 4th?!?! They weren't supposed to pick until the 3rd or 4th round this year until they spent draft picks for a later draft to move up.

Sounds like they are doing all they can to get to the promised land now rather than later, and they feel that this year may be the best chance they got because Brunell is quickly becoming not-the-answer at QB, and Jason Campbell is too wet behind the ears.

749786[/snapback]

I think Lelie could be a very good fit for 'ol Ron as he seems to be very adept at just getting open rather than being a "pattern runner." I could see a lot of pitch and catch success between those two.