What happens if JP doesn't "Breakthrew"

What would you do?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• A. Give Him another year to develop
    • B. Give Him another year to develop if factors like line play and run game hinder his play.
    • C. Cut bait, try and trade or sign FA QB
    • D. Cut bait, draft a 1st round QB
    • E. Cut bait, draft a 2nd round and up QB

JP's exhibited some problems with accuracy, and reading coverage. Right now these problems take enough away from his great physical tools to make him a below average QB. Other factors contributing to his problems in the first preseason game, and last year have been poor line play, and no run game. I'm of the opinion that a great QB will instantly give those two areas boost, but at this point in his development I don't think JP can make great strides under these type of conditions. The possibility is strong that JP doesn't "breakthrew" this year. If this happens, without the managemnet that drafted him in office his future might be on shaky ground.

So what would you do if JP doesn't breakthrew this year?

My choice would either be (B) so long as he shows improvement, and outside factors are clearly slowing him down (ala David Carr), or (C The draft is a QB crapshoot, and with the increased cap the risk is higher then ever. I prefer paying for a known commodity, either trade for a prospect, or pick up a FA.

I went with D only because I felt I couldnt go with B. I'm of the belief even a mildly decent pass game takes extreme pressure off the run game allowing less 8-9 man fronts, more so then the other way around unless you have a really good run blocking line, which at this point I'm unsure of. It's early in preseason and not enough adequate information to fully judge Losman, but I'd give him this year, and judge from there.

I dont know what you define as "breakthrew" but if he doesn't show marked improvement as the year goes on in accuracy, and field awareness, and learn to use touch on certain passes paticularly short range throws then yeah Id cut rope and move on. I dont have a problem taking a fa qb either depending who's available next year, but I feel if we're gonna end up that bad and have a shot at either Quinn or Stanton then yeah Id go with the 1st rd qb

I'm not sure that the Bills have the luxury of not getting a veteran in in JP doesn't materilaize. Sure you could draft a kid next year, but how long after that will he be a solid starter in the league even if he isn't a bust, has the skills and develops? When you're pushing being out of the playoffs for a decade there is precious little time to allow a new kid to develop.

Seriously - can you wait another 3-4 years to be a good team again?

I think JP will be OK. Holcomb has no business starting for this team. They have to say JP is the starter and that's that. Why make the same mistake as last year? Worst case- Bills go 2-14 and get Brady Quinn.

742176[/snapback]

No. It could be worse. The Bills could go 4-12, Draft at the 3 spot and use all 7 picks on overweight linemen and still have no franchise quarterback to protect and an inexperienced OLine.

I don't see that happening though. You're right that Holcomb has no business starting for this team.

This year is an abberation. Most years you cannot pick up a veteran who is any better than Kerry Collins because teams don't get rid of starting QBs. The fact that both Brees & Culpepper were coming off career threatening injuries made this year's offseason unique. Add to that the lunacy of new coach Childress getting into an ill-advised feud with Culpepper and this offseason became a one time thing. The only other option is the draft, and statistically, the earlier the round a QB is taken, the greater chance of success. A 1st rounder may have a 50% chance of success, but a 6th rounder has only about a 10%* chance of making it, and other rounds fall somewhere in between.

*Based on Charlie Casserly's comments when he drafted Drew Henson in the 6th round. I have not run my own statistical check on his statement.

I dunno. If anybody ever held a block long enough for our QB's to actually go through their keys and progressions like they're coached maybe they'd learn something.

That said, Holcomb will never be the answer even if he completes at 80%. JP has looked like he can get into a rhythm and make NFL throws. In hindsight, of course we should have taken our lumps with him last year. If they don't play him this year, they might as well cut him now and bring in another mediocre journeyman with no potential because it makes no difference.

Either C, D, or E, depending on the situation at the time.

I think it's obvious from the relative lack of off-season moves to support him (draft focused on the D with little OL talent to develop, garbage FA OL that no one else wanted) and this current QB competition that Marv & DJ have no true committment to JP.

If he steps up, fine.

If he doesn't step up, oh well.

This consideration is interesting to some, but really this outcome is step R and we are still on step C, so consideration of this possibility while interesting is so dependent on how events happen that it is impossible to say anything beyond the above post which started out with I dunno, that has any accuracy attached to it.

I think the lead possibility if JP falls apart and proves worth giving up on (and the experience of SB winning QB Brad Johnson says that even this determination may mean little in the big picture) then the Bills should be in a cap position where they can buy an FA with prospects of being the next Matt Hasselback.

The possibility of drafting a QB who would become the next Jim Kelly would seem like such an unlikely possibility as to be foolish, Even if Brady Quinn for example proved to be the next Peyton Manning it means you still go through a horrendous 2007 which after the horrendous 2005 that happened and the horrendous 2006 that this thread assumes because JP turns out to be a dud, there is no way that the Golden Boys commit to having yet another horrendous year in 2007 trying to develop a rookie QB.

I think if JP fails then we end up using a bunch of the cap room we will likely have next year to buy an accomplished QB on the FA market and we attempt to also catch lightening in a bottle such as a Doug Flutie, or UDFA like a Jake Delhomme or World League guy like Kurt Warner in a bottle as a back-up.

It depends on how well he plays. If he gets a full 16 starts and looks like he did last year (particularly his first 4 starts) then it's time to move on. If he starts off slowly but shows steady growth then you may give him more time. If it's still a question at the end of the season I have no trouble with drafting a QB early next year and letting him compete with JP for the job.

It depends on how well he plays.  If he gets a full 16 starts and looks like he did last year (particularly his first 4 starts) then it's time to move on.  If he starts off slowly but shows steady growth then you may give him more time.  If it's still a question at the end of the season I have no trouble with drafting a QB early next year and letting him compete with JP for the job.

742523[/snapback]

Could we give JP a year where he does have to look over his shoulder to see if he's being replaced? That was promised to him last year and it lasted all of 6 quarters. Can't one say he has gradually improved session by session, week by week? The key is gradual and the requirement is time.

Could we give JP a year where he does have to look over his shoulder to see if he's being replaced?  That was promised to him last year and it lasted all of 6 quarters.  Can't one say he has gradually improved session by session, week by week?  The key is gradual and the requirement is time.

742536[/snapback]

After one more year he will be entering year 4. Regardless of the circumstances last year, the only thing that warrants us giving him more time to develop is his draft status and physical tools. For the time being thats enough, but If he doesn't show improvement by the end of this year that card will be wearing thin, and a good chance exists that we will go in a different direction.

We all want this to work out but at some point we need to eliminate his draft position and physical tools as qualifiers, and judge him in the same light as every other QB, and player on this team. That means we judge his performance by what he does on the field.

This year is do or die for JP, imo. If he falls on his face this year I hope we have a shot at Brady Quinn in the draft...if not, who knows. Or maybe we go after Matt Schaub, who is a restricted FA in 07, or possibly Chris Simms who is an unrestricted FA....no that Simms is anything special, but he's better than what we've got. I'm pretty sure Tampa will wrap him up though.