When did you become a Bills fan?

I was born in 1984. My father forced me to watch football at about the age of four. It wasn't 'till I was about 6 till I got a good grasp of the rules. I remeber rooting for the Bills the entire year they lost to Giants in the SB. My Dad wouldn't let me stay up to watch the game. He did come up to give me the result when I was sleeping and I was disappointed. I guess it was maybe just that the Bills were good at the time, but I have stuck with them ever since.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grew up outside of Olean and the first game my father took me to was the Bills-Dolphins game in 1980 when I was six. IIRC, this was the first time the Bills beat the Dolphins after the "0 for the seventies". All I can really remember was puking on the lady in front of me and the place going nuts when the Bills won. I've loved the Bills and hated the Dolphins ever since! If I only knew the torment this team would put me through over the last 26 years..... <_<

The Bills were founded when I was three. first game I remember seeing was the 1964 Championship game against the Chargers. We were at my cousin's house and it was the first time I had seen color TV outside of a store. Went to my first game in 1972 when a friend of mine got sick and his father asked if I wanted to go in his place. One of the last games in the rockpile. We knocked John Brodie (49ers) out of the game.

The Bills were founded when I was three. first game I remember seeing  was the 1964 Championship game against the Chargers. We were at my cousin's house and it was the first time I had seen color TV outside of a store. Went to my first game in 1972 when a friend of mine got sick and his father asked if I wanted to go in his place. One of the last games in the rockpile. We knocked John Brodie (49ers) out of the game.

734260[/snapback]

I imagine Keith Lincoln also remembers that game

I have been a fan sice I was around 9 years old (1965). I have lived outside the area since 1976 but have always remained a devout Bill's fan and either attend games or watchon Direct TV. My Dad, 72 years old, still has season tickets. We used to attend games when I was a kid at the Rockpile. Some memories... I remember my Dad paying a guy a couple extra bucks to watch the car at War Memorial, the last game at the Rockpile where many of the seats were torn up and burned and the first exhibition game in Rich Stadium where the opening kickoff was returned for a touchdown by the opposition (I think it was the Redskins). There have been many, many more losing years than winning ones, but I will always be devoted to the Bills and appreciate the many memories they have provided me.

One side note... when I think of the Old Rockpile and how times have changes... It used to be unsafe outside of the stadium and safe inside and now it is somewhat the opposite... not exactly a family-freindly environment.

April 5, 1969. I was born into a family of Bills fans. My parents were Bills fans, by Uncle was a Bills fan. My grandparents were Bills fans, etc. My uncle was also a broadcaster (worked with Van Miller doing basketball games), which is another connection. It just kept snowballing from there. I am now dedicated to preserving WNY pro football history.

Well being From Los Angeles it was weird for me to become a fan, but I'm damn glad that I did.

Well back in "89" which I was 14 at the time I went to a card show wanting a Barry Sanders rookie card, but that didn't happen. What did happen when I did open the pack was a Thurman Thomas rookie card and ever since than I have been a DIE hard Bills fan.

734161[/snapback]

1964 I was 5 years old living near buffalo and Bills were the top of the AFL, my older brother bought me a bills helmet for christmas and I was hooked.

Moved back to WNY when I was twelve years old. (in 1971!!!!!) Welived about a mile away from Niagara University,where the Bills then held their training camp. Spent many a late summer morning riding our bikes to watch the likes of OJ, Jim Braxton, the Electri Company, Fergy and others practice. It was not to follow them as a result. Thankfully, through the "miracle" of Sunday Ticket, this website, and other methods (the late and unlamented "Shout" magazine) I have been able to remain a Bills fan. Remembering the teams of the early 80's (Vince Ferragamo, anyone???) makes these past few season almost managable.

I hate to admit it, but I jumped on the bandwagon during the '88 season. I never really payed much attention to sports until I seen the town go nuts over the Bills during that season. I was 14 years old back then and all I really cared about were girls.

I remember the defense being really awesome that year. Making big play after big play. I think the "D" even had a nickname that year. I just can't remember what it was, if there was one at all.

I was born in 1958 and I was born into being a Bills fan. I remember watching the Bills (or any football game, or any sporting event) on Sunday afternoon with my father and my Uncles at my grandparents house on the West Side of Buffalo. It was part of life, like breathing. Sunday's in the fall and winter consisted of church, big Italian dinners, resting, and watching football all day. Yes, I was the gopher to, running errands, getting beers, pop, water, whatever.

I can clearly remember the Bills championship teams of 64 and 65. In 66 I even drove to a bar in Erie, Pa with my Dad and my uncle to watch the Bills-Chiefs play in the AFL championship game for the right to play in the first Super Bowl (which was not even called a Super Bowl back then). The game was blacked out in Buffalo; we got smoked by the Chiefs. I still have some memorabilia from that era.

I have been a die-hard fan forever. I went to college in Rochester (RIT) and left the area in 1981. I live in St. Louis now. I go back to Buffalo every year to see family. I go to at least one home game a season. I take my two sons with me as I have sucessfully brainwashed them into being Bills fans too. We tail gate with 3 of my brothers and their sons. Thank God for the Bills!!

I was working in Grenoble, in 1991 January, when some of my friends who were at the US previously and had known football wanted to watch the Giants in the SuperBowl game.....I sat with them and my heart went to the men in red-blue-white....I was given a quick crash course of how football was played, having

never even heard or seen anything about football......The following fall I came

to Albany for my Masters and ever since have rooted and cheered for this

single team......and thanks to SDS, this board has kept me going during these

real bad years giving hope at the beginning of every season.....

Now, JP go and win that job and kick some ass.....

I've been a BIlls fan all my life. In fact, at age 14, my first real date was also my first BIlls game. Gotta love a guy with season tickets! And I still consider the Comeback game to be the most exciting day of my life to date. Just don't tell my husband!

I got an AM Radio for Christmas the year WGR did the Buffalo Bills 12 Days of Christmas, and I was hooked.  I want to guess 1981 or 82.  They played that song alot.  Just curious, does anyone else remember that dumb song?

734182[/snapback]

... and a Ralph Wilson Super Bowl Teeeeeeaaaaaammmm.

I listened to the games on radio growing up. My first game was against the Green Bay Packers. Terry Miller disappeared into the line and came bursting out, untouched after that for a ~45 yard TD run. Bills win, 19-12!

I became a Bills fan back in 1990. I was a troubled kid/messed up home life - and was a ward of the state. That summer I was doing forced volunteer work at a a food pantry for the poor. I worked my butt off for an entire summer and the guy who ran the place happened to have a brother that worked in the Bills front office. One day I got a package in the mail with an autographed picture of Jim Kelly... 12 years old at the time but I would bleed Bills blue from then on...

The day I was born my father ran a bus excursion to the Bills Vs. Miami game. he told me he was so happy that day, well because I was born early in the morning (3am) and he could go to the game w/out feeling guilty! It must have been one great party, even though the Bills lost 29-14. Can you say father of the year!!! Sorry tearing up....must end post...