How are these things allowed?

Dante

Every time you here of a mauling or terrible incedent like this there is always a Pit Bull or Rotwieller involved. These two breeds really should be outlawed.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ia/15058759.htm

725206[/snapback]

Actually, the way the story reads, the breeds shouldn't be outlawed, but the mother should be outlawed from breeding.

The 12-year-old refused to leave the house where one dog is in heat and another is trying to nail it, so she puts him in the garage and begs him not to leave?

Yeah. This one's definitely on the dog.

you read that article and blame th dog?????????? a friggin hampster would have mauled a kid in those deplorable conditions

Every time you here of a mauling or terrible incedent like this there is always a Pit Bull or Rotwieller involved. These two breeds really should be outlawed.

725206[/snapback]

you read that article and blame th dog??????????  a friggin hampster would have mauled a kid in those deplorable conditions

725215[/snapback]

No, no other dog breed seems to do these things under any conditions. You shouldnt have to worry about your pet killing people, under any circumstances. Mother is definitely a tool but doesnt change the fact that Pit Bulls are phucked up and should not be allowed.

sure the two breeds are definitely temprimental breeds, but it has more to do with the idiots that "train" them. I know a guy that has a rot that could probably swallow me whole, but is the gentlest dog i have EVER seen...Its all about....whats that long lost word.....responsibility?????......

No, no other dog breed seems to do these things under any conditions. You shouldnt have to worry about your pet killing people, under any circumstances. Mother is definitely a tool but doesnt change the fact that Pit Bulls are phucked up and should not be allowed.

725218[/snapback]

725218[/snapback]

German Shepherds do it. Dobermans do it. Let's ban them too. How about other breeds? They also do it. Hmmm...what is the common denominator among all of this....hmmm...who trains the dogs...hmmm...HUMANS!!! That's it!!! Ban all humans and dog attacks on humans will stop.

German Shepherds do it. Dobermans do it. Let's ban them too. How about other breeds? They also do it. Hmmm...what is the common denominator among all of this....hmmm...who trains the dogs...hmmm...HUMANS!!! That's it!!! Ban all humans and dog attacks on humans will stop.

725226[/snapback]

Cocker Spaniels led the nation in dog bites a few years ago! A dog is your property, if it hurts somebody without good reason, you should be held responsible. I personally spend no time worrying about my dogs (golden ret and german shorthair) attacking somebody unprovoked due to good breeding and training. I don't even know if they would attack somebody if they broke into my house. That's what the 45 is for anyway!

725206[/snapback]

Every dog mauling I know of - and I have personal experience with a few bad ones - involves an irresponsible owner. Not having the first clue on how to mate an aggressive breed safely is a pretty good example.

The responsibility ultimately lies with the owner. Pets can be molded and shaped into a variety of personality types (just like children). Whenever one of these dog mauling stories comes out, you never find out that the dog's owner was a responsible, reputable human being. Most people don't know how to raise and control other forms of life in their care (pets and humans).

However, I do believe that breeds like pit bulls and dobermans, etc. have a much higher "disaster potential" due strictly to their physical prowess. A rotweiler in the hands of a bad owner is a much more serious threat to society than a cocker spaniel. I think the process of buying one these more potentially dangerous breeds should be different. It's not very easy to enforce obviously, but in a perfect world I think buying a pit bull would require serious background checks and personal interviews, etc. Most people can't be trusted with the responsibility.

It's not the dog's fault, but there should be steps taken to prevent potentially very dangerous animals coming under the control of very irresponsible people.

It seems many of these incidents involve children.  Maybe if they outlawed children it wouldn't happen...  :P

725243[/snapback]

They attack adults, as well. We need to just ban the entire human race. It is the only way to solve the problem of dog attacks on humans.

725226[/snapback]

Not giving owners a pass. Here is a pretty good site breaking down that statistics of fatal dog attacks. Here is a bit from its

"The CDC study (using 238 breed identifications) concludes that Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for over 50% of all human fatalties due to dog bite during the years 1979-1998."

Not as one sided as I thought it would be but stil kinda points out what Im trying to say.

725206[/snapback]

"The dogs loved the kids and the kids loved the dogs," Stiglich said. "There is nothing about what occurred that morning ... that would have given anyone any inkling of the horror that would occur later."

Really??

"She told him to prop a shovel against the door and not to go upstairs, where Ella was in heat and the male dog, Rex, had grown increasingly agitated in his spurned attempts to mate."

:P

Not giving owners a pass. Here is a pretty good site breaking down that statistics of fatal dog attacks.  Here is a bit from its

"The CDC study (using 238 breed identifications) concludes that Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for over 50% of all human fatalties due to dog bite during the years 1979-1998."

Not as one sided as I thought it would be but stil kinda points out what Im trying to say.

725250[/snapback]

No it doesn't. They also happen to be the most popular dogs among gangmembers and other people who tend to gravitate toward illegal activities. Much like the hulabaloo around guns, it's overblown BS meant to get the uninformed or unintelligent up in arms about something that isn't really a problem.

What do I mean? There were 304 dog bite fatalities in the period you site. There were nearly 2000 deaths due to lightning strikes during the same period. That's right, you're over 6 times more likely to die at the hands of lightning than be killed by a dog and that goes up by double for a Rottweiler or Pitbull. That says nothing of the over 30,000 automobile deaths a YEAR in this country.

There was a story today about a greyhound that opened up their owner's kid for 120+ stitches. Time to start whacking them as a whole, I guess. :P

you read that article and blame th dog??????????  a friggin hampster would have mauled a kid in those deplorable conditions

725215[/snapback]

First of allz, it's "Hamster", not that I carem.

Also, Havem you seenq their teetha? If a Hamster mauledn you, you wouldn'tp even notice.

Do NOT messm with a gerbilq. We can handle ourselvesp better than you'dp think. I oncem dropped a pit bullq where he stoodp. He lookedp about as masculineq as a Honda Fit whenq I was donep.

Not giving owners a pass. Here is a pretty good site breaking down that statistics of fatal dog attacks.  Here is a bit from its

725250[/snapback]

Perhaps you need to read more of that link you posted that supposedly supports your position. Try reading the section "Politics and Pit Bulls". Here's part of that:

"It is extremely rare for any breed of dog to attack and kill an owner or an immediate family member. Pit bulls fatal attacks are not substantially different in pattern, victim profile or in contributory risk factors than other breed attacks.

In otherwords, the same type of scenario is seen in fatal Pit bull attacks as with other breeds of dogs, namely: intact/breeding dogs, chained dogs, unsupervised children, unfamiliar child, dogs obtained for protection, mulitple dog situation, etc. (see: NCRF Page "Fatal Attack Studies").

These factors are of vital importance, because although 3 children were killed by Pit bulls in 1999, an additional 19 children were killed that same year by other (non-Pit Bull) breeds of dogs. So while Pit Bulls and aggression grab the headlines, these other 19 young victims go virtually unnoticed in a climate of breed hsyteria - and any lessons we may have learned about the cause of their tragedies are overshadowed by the Great Pit Bull Debate."

You hear about Pit Bull attacks because it makes for sensational news and feeds people's fear and ignorance.

The following is taken from dogbreedinfo.com:

That sly smile, those determined eyes, that unwaning pleasure to please... the mere quality and characteristics of the APBT have evoked more human emotional, rational, and irrational response than any other breed that exists today. By no means are these dogs people-haters or people-eaters. Their natural aggressive tendencies are toward other dogs and animals, not people. However if they are properly socialized they will not even be aggressive with them. These are truly quality companions for quality owners only! The American Pit Bull Terrier is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet, which is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, it is always eager to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of vitality. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death. It is usually very friendly, but has an uncanny ability to know when it needs to protect and when everything is okay. The American Pit Bull Terrier can be willful and needs a firm hand. They are generally okay with other pets if they are raised with them from puppy hood. For the most part they are very friendly, but not recommended for most people. Excellent with children in the family, they have a high pain tolerance and will happily put up with rough child play. As with any breed, they should not be left alone with unfamiliar children. Originally used as fighting dogs, the powerful American Pit Bull may go for the throat of strange dogs. A minimum of training will produce a tranquil, obedient dog. Socialize very thoroughly when young to combat aggressive tendencies and be sure to keep the dog under control when other dogs are present. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, this is a very good dog and a great family companion. Unfortunately, some choose to promote the fighting instinct in the breed, giving it a bad name.

725250[/snapback]

What is it with people and not actually reading the articles they use to "back up" their claims. Here are snippets from your article:

in BIG BOLD LETTERS in the FIRST PARAGRAPH:

It is important to emphasize that the breed of dog is never the sole determing factor in a fatal dog attack. A fatal attack is always the culmination of past and present events that include: inherited and learned behaviors, genetics, breeding, socialization, function of the dog, physical condition and size of the dog, individual temperament, environmental stresses, owner responsibility, victim behavior, victim size and physical condition, timing and misfortune.

But let's just ignore that and ban the breeds.

The addition of 43 breed identifications (for a total of 281 breed identifications) significantly changes the percentage of Pit Bull and Rottweiler fatal attack involvement from the CDC reported "over 50%" to a revised calculation of 38% involvement of Pit Bulls and Rottweilers in fatal attacks from 1979-1998.

Looks like your 50% number is not correct.

I won't even get into the issue that the point of view of the article is advocating the exact opposite of what you want and specifically rips your POV. The irony of that alone is hilarious. :P

"The dogs loved the kids and the kids loved the dogs," Stiglich said. "There is nothing about what occurred that morning ... that would have given anyone any inkling of the horror that would occur later."

Really??

"She told him to prop a shovel against the door and not to go upstairs, where Ella was in heat and the male dog, Rex, had grown increasingly agitated in his spurned attempts to mate."

725252[/snapback]

You'd think that the reported fact that the dog had already bitten the kid twice would have given someone an inkling, as well... :P

725250[/snapback]

...and if you're going to google something to support what you said, you should also list the counter-arguments that come up in the results as well.

One of the big things about the CDC "study" (and part of the reason why they didn't continue to log fatalities) was that the results were based on news and humane society reports, since reporting "dog attacks" is not mandatory. That triggers a problem because attacks by pitbulls will likely gain much more press than attacks by chihuahuas.

In fact, if you actually read the actual study, you will see the following conclusions right on the first page:

Although fatal attacks on humans

appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type

dogs and Rottweilers), other breeds may bite and

cause fatalities at higher rates. Because of difficulties

inherent in determining a dog’s breed with certainty,

enforcement of breed-specific ordinances raises constitutional

and practical issues. Fatal attacks represent

a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans and,

therefore, should not be the primary factor driving

public policy concerning dangerous dogs. Many practical

alternatives to breed-specific ordinances exist and

hold promise for prevention of dog bites.

They recommend against breed-specific ordinances...

No it doesn't.  They also happen to be the most popular dogs among gangmembers and other people who tend to gravitate toward illegal activities.  Much like the hulabaloo around guns, it's overblown BS meant to get the uninformed or unintelligent up in arms about something that isn't really a problem. 

What do I mean?  There were 304 dog bite fatalities in the period you site.  There were nearly 2000 deaths due to lightning strikes during the same period.  That's right, you're over 6 times more likely to die at the hands of lightning than be killed by a dog and that goes up by double for a Rottweiler or Pitbull.  That says nothing of the over 30,000 automobile deaths a YEAR in this country.

There was a story today about a greyhound that opened up their owner's kid for 120+ stitches.  Time to start whacking them as a whole, I guess.  :P

725253[/snapback]

Don't forget we need to also outlaw cars and lightning. Heck, in 2000 there were over 3400 unintentional drowning deaths. Looks like we need to outlaw water as well...

I firmly believe that is is the responsibility of the owner and that most attacks are because of idiot owners who can't handle their dog. But there is no denying that Pitbulls and Rotweilers are a more aggressive and viscious dog that is dangerous. Even one that has been trained well could snap one day and attack, because they are an animal and it is in their genes to attack. Its like keeping a Tiger or a Lion as a pet, there are people who raise them from young and believe they are tame and wouldn't hurt anyone, until one day, something snaps in their brain and they use their animal instincts and attack.

Its like keeping a Tiger or a Lion as a pet, there are people who raise them from young and believe they are tame and wouldn't hurt anyone, until one day, something snaps in their brain and they use their animal instincts and attack.

725297[/snapback]

You could say the same about humans.

i was hoping you would chime in

First of allz, it's "Hamster", not that I carem.

Also, Havem you seenq their teetha?  If a Hamster mauledn you, you wouldn'tp even notice. 

Do NOT messm with a gerbilq.  We can handle ourselvesp better than you'dp think.  I oncem dropped a pit bullq where he stoodp.  He lookedp about as masculineq as a Honda Fit whenq I was donep.

725259[/snapback]

I have to agree that the onus is on the owner in most dog attack cases. Yes, there a certain breeds that are more agressive than others, but I would argue that the reason these particular breeds show a trend in attack statistics is because of the type of the people who own them. All the cool guys in Atlanta own pit bulls. If you don't have a couple of pit bulls running around your yard, or sitting in the bed of your truck, you aren't cool. These are the same people that can barely take care of themselves let alone an animal.

Its like keeping a Tiger or a Lion as a pet,

725297[/snapback]

Only...not.

Most violent dog breed I know of, BTW, is Lhasa Apso. My mother used to work in a plastic surgeon's office; they used to average one or two facial reconstructions a week from idiots who picked up a Lhasa, held it up to their face, and said "What a cute little puppy!"...just before the vicious little !@#$er bit their nose off.

I've personally been attacked by three Lhasas, a cocker spaniel, and a rottweiler. Had the rottweiler not been brought up short by a 3/4" chain, it would have really messed me up...but the goddamned Lhasas, though they can't cause as much damage (unless you're a real !@#$tard and beg it to bite your nose off) are easily the most likely to attack.

If  this thing bit my face, they would be looking for a few pieces of Lhasa when they got there.

725331[/snapback]

And you'd be embarrassed as sh-- to tell the story, too. "What happened to your face?" "Well...as these three Klan biker Nazis were beating up a ten year old, I felt compelled to...nah, not really. I was actually bitten by a twelve-pound dog..."

Lhasas are actually bred to be guard dogs at Tibetan temples. Apparently, Tibetans are real pussies...

I've heard of several groomers who won't work with Chows. I guess they can be nasty buggers.

725402[/snapback]

I have heard that as well....but my father in law owned a chow that was absolutely the most gentle dog I have ever met....

Basically.....it doesnt matter the breed (I personally just dont like rots, dobermans, and pittbulls) if they are brought up to be agressive....they will be...if they are brought up to with discipline AND treated with kindness....they will reflect that as well......you must establish yourself as the alpha male with them or they will not respect you.

I have 2 German Shepards and 1 Akita....2 of them weigh over 80 pounds and the GS pup will weight that much soon as well....they are all well mannered...they are all good family dogs....and they are all kept in a dog kennel in the back of my house and never let out into the front unless leashed (by me)......I never take a chance on them biting anyone.

725206[/snapback]

The media got you too, eh?

Do some research and you'll find out that Pitbulls are actually VERY friendly dogs, except for a small, small minority.

The vet warned my roommate when he got one about leaving him unattended in say a car or on the porch.

Why?

Because they are so friendly, that they'll walk off with people, and they are stolen quite often. Not because they are aggressive.

Your logic is akin to saying "Some white people murder humans, lets ban them all from the US".

I have heard that as well....but my father in law owned a chow that was absolutely the most gentle dog I have ever met....

Basically.....it doesnt matter the breed (I personally just dont like rots, dobermans, and pittbulls) if they are brought up to be agressive....they will be...if they are brought up to with discipline AND treated with kindness....they will reflect that as well......you must establish yourself as the alpha male with them or they will not respect you.

I have 2 German Shepards and 1 Akita....2 of them weigh over 80 pounds and the GS pup will weight that much soon as well....they are all well mannered...they are all good family dogs....and they are all kept in a dog kennel in the back of my house and never let out into the front unless leashed (by me)......I never take a chance on them biting anyone.

725466[/snapback]

Exactly right. Some breeds may have a general tendency to be mroe agressive, but dogs are the way they are based on how they are raised and disciplined.

Our dog at home decided one time she was going nip at my dad when she was young. He backhanded her across the garage. She hasnt so much as looked at anyone the wrong way since.

Teach the dog that you are in charge and you wont take sh-- from them, and they'll obey. and you wont run into these problems.

Exactly right. Some breeds may have a general tendency to be mroe agressive, but dogs are the way they are based on how they are raised and disciplined.

Our dog at home decided one time she was going nip at my dad when she was young. He backhanded her across the garage. She hasnt so much as looked at anyone the wrong way since.

Teach the dog that you are in charge and you wont take sh-- from them, and they'll obey. and you wont run into these problems.

725555[/snapback]

Exactly right (well, except for the backhanding across the garage thingy). They will always try to test you, but you need to show them they you are the boss and you set the rules. You need to do this with every aspect of your dog's training. It even gets down to making sure that when you open a door to go out, that the dog never goes out the door first. This is a sign of domination. You need to make sure the dog sits and waits for you to go out the door and also waits for a command from you to follow you out the door. It sounds stupid and insignificant, but it goes a long way towards having a well-behaved pooch.

Exactly right (well, except for the backhanding across the garage thingy). They will always try to test you, but you need to show them they you are the boss and you set the rules. You need to do this with every aspect of your dog's training. It even gets down to making sure that when you open a door to go out, that the dog never goes out the door first. This is a sign of domination. You need to make sure the dog sits and waits for you to go out the door and also waits for a command from you to follow you out the door. It sounds stupid and insignificant, but it goes a long way towards having a well-behaved pooch.

725559[/snapback]

Well, i dont mean we beat our dog, because we dont. But he wasnt happy when he smacked her, and she half slid/half ran across the garage. But shes trained very wel, and we have had no problems. She'll sit and wait for us to tell her its ok to eat her food. She'll sit and stay until we tell her to chase her ball (if you chose to do so). We drop food on the floor, she'll look, but wont even sniff it. She knows better.

Once there is a clear understanding between you and your dog that you are the boss, everything is fine.

The funny thing i see here in north florida, is that families with pitbulls and rotts that behave poorly often have children that behave the exact same way. Think it might be the parents?