Mans best friend

Gary M

Our house dog of 11 years was euthanised this evening.

This was tough, my 15 yr old beagle passed earlier this year, then the darn bird died.

Casper was a good dog, you couldn't touch my kids when he was around.

I'll miss our morning walks.  :)

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=422380

723265[/snapback]

very hard to sit with the your pet when you have to put them down . had to put our dog down 3 years ago . sat with the vet when he gave the dog the shot. he cried right along with us .

very hard to sit with the your pet when you have to put them down .  had to put our dog down 3 years ago . sat with the vet when he gave the dog the shot. he cried  right along with us .

723271[/snapback]

god, i hope i never have to go through with that

i've had my beagle since he was 2 months old

http://www.che.rochester.edu/~yuchang/stewiethebunnykiller/

I'm sorry for your loss and share your pain.

Condolences.

There was an article in Field&Stream a long time ago by their Gun Dog columnist, I forget his name, titled "Just a Dog." That's what some of his family and friends told him when he was still depressed over it awhile later. The article was his answer to them and it was beautiful. I've been unsuccessful in getting a transcript.

Took our 12-y.o., a German Shorthaired Pointer, to the vet yesterday b/c his hind legs just weren't working. He wanted to move, but he could just drag them a couple of inches. Arthritis combined with a chronic case of Lyme. And then, just as suddenly as that came on, today he was back lolling around outside. It's going to be tough when the time comes and I don't think we're going to get another, at least not right away.

I did a short shadow thing at an animal hospital in high school. There was a goldie there and looking at the X-rays, he had cancer throughout the hind legs. The owners ordered him put down, over the phone. At the time I was angry at them for that, for not being there. After the injection I rubbed his ears and pet his head until he passed. Then and there found out that I could never be a vet.

Not that it's easy, but you take your memories and head off to start a new relationship with another canine as soon as you're ready.

And may I suggest going to the bookstore and picking up Marley and Me. I can tell you'll love it.

Sorry to hear about the loss, Gary :) It breaks my heart when pet passes....just the thought of it is enough to make me sad.

I tell you what, though, threads like this remind me that for every time I hear about someone who was cruel to a pet, there are all sorts of other people out there who love their animals and treat them with love and kindness. That's a really great thing.

The owners ordered him put down, over the phone. At the time I was angry at them for that, for not being there. After the injection I rubbed his ears and pet his head until he passed. Then and there found out that I could never be a vet.

723292[/snapback]

Some people just can't handle being there when the time comes. I know I can't. We had to put down one of our cats a few months ago, and I was in the room for the injection. Watcing the doctor administer the shot, you want to scream at them to stop, but you know it's right that they go ahead.

My condolences. I'm about to go through the same thing. We have a 14 1/2 yo Min Schnauzer. She's getiing worse on a daily basis. We've already talked about having her put down. I refuse to do it until she's suffering & I know it. This sucks!

Our house dog of 11 years was euthanised this evening.

This was tough, my 15 yr old beagle passed earlier this year, then the darn bird died.

Casper was a good dog, you couldn't touch my kids when he was around.

I'll miss our morning walks.  :)

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=422380

723265[/snapback]

It's never easy losing a friend/family member whether they had four or two legs yet as long as we keep them in our hearts and memories they'll always be with us each and everyday.

Sorry  to hear about your dog.....Putting down a pet is always hard to do...Like another poster said, go get the book "Marley and Me"...It is a good book.

723473[/snapback]

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts.

Over the years I have had to put down a few of our family pets, they are the worst days in my life when that happens. But in time, the pain subsides and the wonderful memories of that cherished pet overcome the pain. Good luck to you and your family.

I have a german shepard who has been with us for about 14 years....and age is getting the best of him as well.....

He doesnt do much but lay around now adays.....but he is still lively when it is feeding time so we are ready to put him down yet.

Spent the better part of 2 hours shearing him yesterday because it is so fricken hot around here.....I came away with a FULL GARBAGE BAG of hair.......