Kids in the front seat

plenzmd1

allright, heres my situation. My neighbor and i have 2 kids each that will be going to the same school this year, and we want to carpool. Problem is neither one of us has a car that fits 4 kids in the back.

Now, her oldest boy is 11, but hes a real sturdy kid, weighs 105, and plays lacrosse and football, very strong for his age,so hes a solid 105, no fat on the kid that i can tell.

I have been researching this for bout an hr on the web, but all i can can come up with is it is highly recommended that children under 12 sit in the back. I could find nothing about suggested heights and weights when it becomes safe to ride in the front seat.

Any body have experience or suggestions where to look?

BTW, scho0l is only bout a mile away, and all surface roads are used.

THX

allright, heres my situation. My neighbor and i have 2 kids each that will be going to the same school this year, and we want to carpool. Problem is neither one of us has a car that fits 4 kids in the back.

Now, her oldest boy is 11, but hes a real sturdy kid, weighs 105, and plays lacrosse and football, very strong for his age,so hes a solid 105, no fat on the kid that i can tell.

I have been researching this for bout an hr on the web, but all i can can come up with is it is highly recommended that children under 12 sit in the back. I could find nothing about suggested heights and weights when it becomes safe to ride in the front seat.

THX

718690[/snapback]

Look under airbag safety. I believe the manufacturers do not recommend a person under 12 sitting behind one. Depending on where you live it may/may not be the law.

THX

718690[/snapback]

The age of 12 is a somewhat arbitrary benchmark for saying "When a kid is this size/weight/developed, he/she won't be killed by the airbag." A sturdy 105 is roughly the size of a small adult. So if you want to if it's safe or not, find out how airbag deployment affects petite women.

My recollection is: poorly.

I based my decisions on weight because my boys were larger. I think at 105 pounds, he would be just as safe in the front. Isn't most of the concern based on the air bags causing an injury to someone smaller? I would think that this kid would be much safer than someone's frail, 80 year old grandmother.

THX

718690[/snapback]

Can you turn off your airbag? My truck has a little switch where you use the key to turn the passenger airbag on and off in case you need to transport a kid. I've used it plenty of times in carting my friend's little ones around. I've seen it on a lot of trucks, not sure how many cars carry it tho.

Thx for the replys. I do have a trunk, and that may be a viable option lol. However, no switch for the airbag. I agree with aussie that i think he could take a hit from the airbag, but want his mom to read it is safe, and there is nothing on the net to give guidance outside of the 12 yr suggestion. Will continue to look

Can you turn off your airbag? My truck has a little switch where you use the key to turn the passenger airbag on and off in case you need to transport a kid. I've used it plenty of times in carting my friend's little ones around. I've seen it on a lot of trucks, not sure how many cars carry it tho.

718707[/snapback]

The passenger air bag shut off is only an option on pickups because there are no other seats in the vehicle besides the front. You do not have the option of putting a child seat in the backseat like a car so they had to put in some way to allow child seats in a truck (since they are getting popular with people to use for more then just work these days)

I know in Ontario, children under the age of 7-8 have to ride in a car seat or some type of booster seat in a vehicle. Not sure on the age for riding in a front seat but I always thought that before it was if they were not in a car seat, they could sit in the front legally, but it was not recommended. I doubt that since the back seats are filled and the one child is 11 they are going to have a problem with you having him riding up front. As long as he has a seat belt on, I don't think they can do much.

I just leave mine at home with the kids...

Wait...what?

718730[/snapback]

CTM, you are losing your touch. How could you not post a meazza reference when the thread is asking about allowing 12 year olds to ride in the front seat? CTM of ~2 months ago would not have let that opportunity pass. However, you seem to be allowing the Honda Fit to distract you from your meazza-bashing...You still could work in one of those Fit posts here.

I think I am becoming a Libertarian. This stuff really chaps my behind. I wish the government would back away from protecting us from ourselves. If it is "highly reccomended" that you not do it, but there is no law against it, put the kid in the front. The biggest repercussion I can think of is the other 3 kids always yelling. "why does he always get to sit up front!?"

I think I am becoming a Libertarian.  This stuff really chaps my behind.  I wish the government would back away from protecting us from ourselves.  If it is "highly reccomended" that you not do it, but there is no law against it, put the kid in the front.  The biggest repercussion I can think of is the other 3 kids always yelling. "why does he always get to sit up front!?"

718837[/snapback]

the counter-argument to that would be that there are a lot of stupid people in the world and it's bad enough they are out there breeding like bunnies, but then they get to make decisions for another, defenseless person...

Not saying that I agree, but that is the philosophy....

My wife just quit her job for the National Association for Childrens Hospitals and Related Institutions and has covered a lot of these issues for her work....

I think it depends how tall the kid is, as well as the weight. Age is only a concern if a law applies, and I doubt it does at this age.

Here's a web page that gives you a place to enter age, height and weight. When I guessed 5 ft tall (11 yrs, 105 lbs), this message came up:

Safety belts are designed for adults. Until a child is 4-feet 9-inches tall, he or she will be better positioned in the back seat using a booster seat. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends children use booster seats until they are at least eight years old or more than 4-feet 9-inches tall.

http://www.boosterseat.gov/

your car doesn't come with a trunk?

THX

718690[/snapback]