Darwin Award Nominee...

SDS

Let's see, a 17 year old teenager heads to Loch Raven Reservoir with his girlfriend (cue Billy Joel's "The River"). Apparently, he cannot swim, cannot tread water, nor float on his back (elementary backstroke anyone?).

What does he do?

He squeezes past the plethora of "No Swimming, Dangerous Area" signs and heads to the water. A ledge gives way and he ends up drowning in 7 feet of water after almost pulling his GF under and failing to grab hold of a fisherman's line who witnessed the event nearby.

http://wbal.com/news/story.asp?articleid=46634

Once my elementary school built a new school with a pool (in 6th grade), learning to swim was mandatory. You flunked gym unless you learned how to swim.

My locality has started experiencing the sad but, increased, bunch of drownings. I don't think kids learn to swim as much as years past. They don't seem to be learning the survival skills like before... :o

717781[/snapback]

That's because learning survival skills is dangerous. You can't teach a kid basic survival swimming without dressing them in full flotation gear. :o

That's because learning survival skills is dangerous.  You can't teach a kid basic survival swimming without dressing them in full flotation gear.  :o

717819[/snapback]

I still use the "toss em in, he'll figure it out" method.

I still use the "toss em in, he'll figure it out" method.

717823[/snapback]

Heh! When I attended Buffalo public HS, swimming was a mandatory course. The gym teacher lined up the non-swimmers along the deep end, and would shove one in. The victim floundered, and was fished out with a bamboo pole with laughter.

These days that would be said to be harsh, but the fact was over time, they learned to swim...

Once my elementary school built a new school with a pool (in 6th grade), learning to swim was mandatory. You flunked gym unless you learned how to swim.

717787[/snapback]

It was either 4th or 5th grade when we'd take a bus over to the high school for swimming lessons for a month (2 times a week).

My locality has started experiencing the sad but, increased, bunch of drownings. I don't think kids learn to swim as much as years past. They don't seem to be learning the survival skills like before... :doh:

717781[/snapback]

I don't think swimming lessons are available for the video iPod.

over in holand kids have to learn to swim very young . my neices 8 year old has to be able to swim 50 yards with a back back on . it is mandatory that they learn to swim .

718322[/snapback]

Given how much of the Netherlands sits below the level of the North Sea, that's hardly surprising.

Makes one think swimming lessons should be mandatory in New Orleans...

My locality has started experiencing the sad but, increased, bunch of drownings. I don't think kids learn to swim as much as years past. They don't seem to be learning the survival skills like before... :P

717781[/snapback]

All four of my kids learned to swim early. It was required by ME.

Three of five grandkids can swim (still working on the one year old and soon to be three year old).

When I was a kid, summers were spent near a lake so swimming was natural.

When I moved to the city, me and the wife made sure the kids had swimming lessons every year.