NFL rule you would change first...

I would change or eliminate.......  

59 members have voted

1. 1. I would change or eliminate.......

• one inch kicking tee for kick offs
    • "planned" celebration acts or dances
    • tuck rule
    • in the grasp
    • make a football move
    • pass interference as a spot foul (make 15 yards)
    • defensive holding on lineman
    • intentional grounding
    • limits on # of dressed players for games

Corner is probably the hardest position in the league outside of qb and one "screw up" could result in a 40 yard gain for the offense even in times where the ball is uncatchable.  So I'd make pass interference only a 15 yard penalty.

717090[/snapback]

I strongly disagree. If you make downfield PI a 15-yard penalty, you allow the defense to essentially hold up the receiver on any deep pass play. Name me a coach who wouldn't rather take a 15-yard walkoff than a long gain or TD. Talk about making the game ugly.

Refs have the discretion to rule a pass "uncatchable" -- I really don't have a problem with the way PI is being officiated currently.

I would forbid any team from banning protest signs in their stadium after the 12th game of the season and would fine the General Manager of any team doing so $1,000,000 per game. :rolleyes:

The money would be donated then to giving all fans free beer during the following game. :pirate:

Touchbacks should only be out to the 10 yard line -- encourage bringing the ball out of the endzone. Kick/Punt/fumble/INT returns can possibly be the most exciting plays of the game -- great moves, monster hits.

There should be no illegal touch penalty on a guy who went out of bounds but was the first to touch the ball if that guy was pushed out of bounds by an oposing player. You don't see it that much, but on punts you can essentially take a guy out of the play by pushing him out of bounds - he then can't be the guy to touch the ball first so there's no chance he'll down the ball at the goal line.

I strongly disagree.  If you make downfield PI a 15-yard penalty, you allow the defense to essentially hold up the receiver on any deep pass play.  Name me a coach who wouldn't rather take a 15-yard walkoff than a long gain or TD.  Talk about making the game ugly.

Refs have the discretion to rule a pass "uncatchable" -- I really don't have a problem with the way PI is being officiated currently.

717150[/snapback]

I always hear people use this argument, but I don't ever remember seeing this actually happen in a College game.

Giving a team a 50 yard gain for a bad call is a disgrace and it happens too often. It's the single worst game-changing call in sports outside of a phantom foul inside the PK box in soccer.

I always hear people use this argument, but I don't ever remember seeing this actually happen in a College game.

Giving a team a 50 yard gain for a bad call is a disgrace and it happens too often.  It's the single worst game-changing call in sports outside of a phantom foul inside the PK box in soccer.

717705[/snapback]

Conversely, giving a team fifty yards that they would have received had there not been interference is justified in my view. I have seen games in college when the defensive team continuously interferes with a dominant receiver in hope that they can get the clock to run out before the offensive team scores.

I can also do without the bad calls. For example, bad calls that give undue first downs can change an entire drive and an entire game. Officiating is much better than it used to be but incompetence still surfaces.

I can do without the grounding of the ball when a qb is in the pocket. It's football, make a play...

Conversely, giving a team fifty yards that they would have received had there not been interference is justified in my view.  I have seen games in college when the defensive team  continuously interferes with a dominant receiver in hope that they can get the clock to run out before the offensive team scores. 

I can also do without the bad calls.  For example, bad calls that give undue first downs can change an entire drive and an entire game.  Officiating is much better than it used to be but incompetence still surfaces.

I can do without the grounding of the ball when a qb is in the pocket.  It's football, make a play...

717715[/snapback]

Yeah, the ticky tack defensive holding calls on 3rd & 12 are annoying. Anybody notice that defensive holding or illegal contact is never called on 1st or 2nd down?

Also agree on intentional grounding - needs to be called more. When it is called, it takes all the refs 30 seconds to stand around looking at each other and the defense has to beg & plead for the call before the flag finally comes out. It is also annoying that the majority of announcers don't even know the rule: Even if the QB is outside the pocket, he still has to get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Again, I don't see the blatant interference on deep balls in college that you're talking about very often.

Cheerleaders should be allowed to perform topless. That and pass interference should only be worth 15 yards. But  I would rather have the first one.

717731[/snapback]

Yeah!!! And in the stands like the Carolina Hurricane games!