clayton on espn news

john clayton was just on the hotlist on espn. mentioned losman is looking good and he thinks he will be the starter going into the season. mentioned losman is taking to the new rams like system with longer throws. thats about it just thought id pass it on.

If JP wins the starting job - and I think he will - I just hope the coaches give the kid at least the first 8 games of the season to develop.

john clayton was just on the hotlist on espn. mentioned losman is looking good and he thinks he will be the starter going into the season. mentioned losman is taking to the new  rams like system with longer throws. thats about it just thought id pass it on.

711383[/snapback]

The truth is, none of this offseason babble means anything.

Consider this:

In an interview with Sullivan this month, we read this:

Losman was the best of the three quarterbacks. He made quick reads and sharp, accurate throws. He seemed relaxed and confident. You could see it in his body language. He said the action seemed to unfold more slowly than before.

"I have more confidence in what I'm doing," Losman said. "It seems I'm not thinking as much, like I did in the past. This year, I know it's going to work. It's repetition, repetition, getting more and more accurate with the repetitions."

And here is a Losman quote from almost one year ago (8/07/05):

I'm more comfortable with the offense. I'm not second guessing or thinking, 'Should I do this.' I know exactly what to do and now I just have to do it, whether it's to make a nice throw or move my feet a little bit. Now I get to concentrate on my game. I was talking to (quarterbacks coach) Sam (Wyche) as we were walking out here and I said it's a lot different walking out here this year as opposed to last year. Just the feeling is different. I feel like it's my turn, my time to come out here and be successful as opposed to taking a back seat like last year, so it's definitely a big deal.

It's unfortunate, but I've stopped getting excited about what some people THINK is going to happen.

Sounds promising.

Lenny P, Peter King, Mort and Clayton will stage an ultimate fighting match to see who wins the right to first point out that TD drafted JP if JP develops this year. I warn you if this happens--don't count out the scrawny dude--slide rules can leave a mark.

Roger that. When Mularkey pulled Losman last year, I wanted to fly to NY and throttle the muther!@#$er.

711400[/snapback]

But...but...but, we could have made the playoffs!

I hope they give him at least 3 more years if he needs it...its just his second season

711415[/snapback]

That is a bit of a stretch..Maybe you go that route if he was the 2nd overall pick and you have tons of cash invested.With that said..give him a full season and judge at the end,

I hope they give him at least 3 more years if he needs it...its just his second season

711415[/snapback]

I see this as a make or break year for JP.

This light switch effect we hear about isn't like a QB going from bad to great all of a sudden. The ones that see the light usually show some statistical evidence before hand. For example a high TD ratio coupled with a high INT ratio is sometimes a good indicator of a QB on the verge. You usually also see that coupled with an increasing completition %, and Yards Per Pass Attempt.

Comparatively speaking JP was bad last year in those areas compared to QB's of similar experience, and if he doesn't show the usual trends we see in emerging QB's after this season we must start to consider other options. I'm all for giving a developing QB some time, but eventually you need to make a decision, otherwise you might end up with a Joey Harrington like situation that paralyzes the franchise for several years.

I see this as a make or break year for JP.

This light switch effect we hear about isn't like a QB going from bad to great all of a sudden. The ones that see the light usually show some statistical evidence before hand. For example a high TD ratio coupled with a high INT ratio is sometimes a good indicator of a QB on the verge. You usually also see that coupled with an increasing completition %, and Yards Per Pass Attempt.

Comparatively speaking JP was bad last year in those areas compared to QB's of similar experience, and if he doesn't show the usual trends we see in emerging QB's after this season we must start to consider other options. I'm all for giving a developing QB some time, but eventually you need to make a decision, otherwise you might end up with a Joey Harrington like situation that paralyzes the franchise for several years.

711430[/snapback]

Actually, JP did show considerable statistical improvement from his first four starts to the next four games he played in. His stats against NE make him look worse in his 2nd stretch as a starter than he really was. In his first four starts, he completed 45 of 94 passes (47.9%) for 430 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs. In the four game stretch beginning in KC, he completed 61 of 107 passes (57.0%) for 726 yards with 6 TDs and 3 INTs. Statistically, that's not a bad four game run.

The one thing I find very encouraging is that he only had one game with multiple interceptions, that game being against NE. That's a decent indicator of his decision making, which I thought was adequate last year. The biggest problem was that he struggled to find his accuracy early in the year, but once he did, he posted reasonably good numbers. His actual on-field effectiveness was admittedly not quite as good as those numbers indicate, but he did show some improvement and it is something to build on.

It's unfortunate, but I've stopped getting excited about what some people THINK is going to happen.

711409[/snapback]

That is unfortunate, because last year that proved to be the most exciting part. The best defense in the history of mankind. "Big Cat", the QB of the future. Willis is gonna run for 2000 yds. Woohoo! Playoffs here we come!!!

Enjoy it until reality hits.

john clayton was just on the hotlist on espn. mentioned losman is looking good and he thinks he will be the starter going into the season. mentioned losman is taking to the new  rams like system with longer throws. thats about it just thought id pass it on.

711383[/snapback]

What's that? Clayton is saying Losman will be the starter? Damn, that's too bad, I was kinda cheering for the kid. So will the starter be Nall or Holcomb then?

:huh:

Actually,  JP did show considerable statistical improvement from his first four starts to the next four games he played in.  His stats against NE make him look worse in his 2nd stretch as a starter than he really was.  In his first four starts,  he completed 45 of 94 passes (47.9%) for 430 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs.  In the four game stretch beginning in KC,  he completed 61 of 107 passes (57.0%) for 726 yards with 6 TDs and 3 INTs.  Statistically,  that's not a bad four game run.   

The one thing I find very encouraging is that he only had one game with multiple interceptions,  that game being against NE.  That's a decent indicator of his decision making,  which I thought was adequate last year.  The biggest problem was that he struggled to find his accuracy early in the year,  but once he did,  he posted reasonably good numbers.  His actual on-field effectiveness was admittedly not quite as good as those numbers indicate,  but he did show some improvement and it is something to build on.

711464[/snapback]

He did show improvement. In fact I remember posting a few things on his improved numbers in the second half of the season. That said even with the improvement his final numbers were below that of the majority of first year QB's. I also remember doing a post on that if you would like me to dig them both up to see the numbers.

I just think JP wasn't confident in his reads last year. I also think that with our turnover based defense coaches over emphasized not turning it over. You might say it's impossible to overemphasis not turning it over. But when you have an uncertain, young QB, who's already hesitant with his throws, you can overstate things. This slight hesitancy would explain accuracy problems given how quick NFL play is. It would also explain his low TD numbers. For JP's sake, and our sake, let’s hope this was the problem.

There's nothing that John Clayton can say that will make me like him or respect him. I can't fathom why ESPN pays that guy gobs of cash to look pastily unprofessional and publish utterances that are so obviously the product of his being used as a pawn by the reporting team...was that a run on sentence...not sure...but he has about a 30% prediction/"informed commentary" success rate, which ain't good.

But hey. I think we're all hoping to see this good kid Losman succeed. I'm behind him 100%, until he's played enough games to provide sufficient data to judge him as either bust/average/good/very good/great.

I have this hunch that he could be very good, which is all ya need. I also have a hunch that my hunch could just be the wishful thinking of a fan, but hey. It's something.

I'm just STARTING to think about football. But honestly, I'm not really into it yet.

I've still got Sabres wounds. Is hockey over?

Sounds promising. 

Lenny P, Peter King, Mort and Clayton will stage an ultimate fighting match to see who wins the right to first point out that TD drafted JP if JP develops this year.  I warn you if this happens--don't count out the scrawny dude--slide rules can leave a mark.

711412[/snapback]

If JP develops then TD should get some kudos for drafting him. He should also take hits for being party to an organizational plan that handed JP the starting job after an incomplete rookie season.

Kudos should go to Jauron for making JP "just one of the guys", earn the job and earn your team mates respect. I think Levy said it right away, they are not going to treat JP like a savior and hand him a job. This is a demonstration of Coaching 101 by the current regime.