Beer Snobs (you know who you are)

stevestojan

I normally drink whatever's American, Cold, and wet. And I will probably never change those ways. But every once in a while, I like to have something different. I go to Coles on Elmwood sometimes and they have all sorts of different beers.

Anyway, one pretty mainstream beer I like is Sam Adams White Ale. My question for you beer snobs is, if I like that, what are some similar types that someone like myself might enjoy? (and where I could get them)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally drink whatever's American, Cold, and wet. And I will probably never change those ways. But every once in a while, I like to have something different. I go to Coles on Elmwood sometimes and they have all sorts of different beers.

Anyway, one pretty mainstream beer I like is Sam Adams White Ale. My question for you beer snobs is, if I like that, what are some similar types that someone like myself might enjoy? (and where I could get them)

710814[/snapback]

Peroni is good. I find it tastes North American but has a sort of European touch to it. It is the main beer in Italy. Come to think of it, the reason I liked it so much was because it selling at 1$ each. :P

Is that available nationally, or am I looking to pay an arm and a leg to go searching for it?

710821[/snapback]

I was gonna ask the same thing. There is an international beer tasting festival once a year but I missed it this year. I should have went.

Have you ever tried brewing your own?

Have you ever tried brewing your own?

710822[/snapback]

Yes. Barely drinkable, and not worth the work. When (beer snobs, don't listen to this) I can go to the store and get 24 Miller Lights for nearly nothing, all the work (and mainly sanatizing) is not worth it...

Is that available nationally, or am I looking to pay an arm and a leg to go searching for it?

710821[/snapback]

I've never had a problem finding it. Real liquor stores with a decent amount of imports will carry it. It should be about $10 a bottle. At 9% alcohol it'll kick your ass pretty quick.

I've never had a problem finding it.  Real liquor stores with a decent amount of imports will carry it.  It should be about $10 a bottle.  At 9% alcohol it'll kick your ass pretty quick.

710826[/snapback]

Liquor stores here don't sell beer. And I know they don't have that at grocery stores. Just like they don't sell wine in the grocery stores here... and in FL, the could sell Liquor at Walgreens... damn state laws.

Yes. Barely drinkable, and not worth the work. When (beer snobs, don't listen to this) I can go to the store and get 24 Miller Lights for nearly nothing, all the work (and mainly sanatizing) is not worth it...

710825[/snapback]

There's a reason Miller Light costs next to nothing. Your liver will thank you greatly when you stop drinking that swill and start drinking real beer.

I've never had a problem finding it.  Real liquor stores with a decent amount of imports will carry it.  It should be about $10 a bottle.  At 9% alcohol it'll kick your ass pretty quick.

710826[/snapback]

And by the way... did you just say $10 a BOTTLE? !@#$! $120 for a 12er?

Liquor stores here don't sell beer. And I know they don't have that at grocery stores.  Just like they don't sell wine in the grocery stores here... and in FL, the could sell Liquor at Walgreens... damn state laws.

710828[/snapback]

I've forgotten how retarded NYS is on such things. Hence the reason I rarely go back. Once I got refused at a store because my ID was from out of state, as if NY is it's own country or something. I wonder why tourism is down? :P

I've forgotten how retarded NYS is on such things.  Hence the reason I rarely go back.  Once I got refused at a store because my ID was from out of state, as if NY is it's own country or something.  I wonder why tourism is down?  :P

710832[/snapback]

Yep.. I still have my FL id... (long story)... I get refused at least once a month... Despite the fact that I have, oh, 10 other things in my wallet with my name, and at least 5 photo IDs...

would you consider this guy a snob?

written about Harpoon Summer:

Gold with a smudge of orange. Suspiciously even blanket of white becomes translucent in a hurry. Cookie dough aromas. The drink is thoroughly dry as firm bitter resins constrain peach and tangerine marmelade fruit flavors. Peanut-shaped marshmallows flavors lurk within. Full, creamy texture is what I expect from American "Kölsch." There are brief episodes when I think this beer is a successfully crafted light ale. I am happy to forgive the inappropriate use of the term denoting the classic Cologne beer style. But then it seems to lose focus, offering an unintigrated if balanced mix of sweet and bitter. Nothing compels one drink after another.

Beer snob here. The Sam Adams White ale is a Belgian Witbier, there are many better examples of this style in my opinion than the Sam Adams version. Here is a list, the Hoegaarden should be easy to find but my favorite is Blanche De Chambly and Allagash White.

Witbiers

The Chimay that AD mentioned as well as the beers mentioned above can be found at Premier Gourmet

And forget the Blue Moon, it's made by Coors.

would you consider this guy a snob?

written about Harpoon Summer:

710854[/snapback]

:P

Now that guy is an uber beer snob. I actually understand what he is trying to say about the beer but using all those over the top descriptions is ridiculous.

You're not a beer snob if you like beer that actually tastes like something. And you don't have to buy some expensive brand. Most bars carry a good assortment beyond the pedestrian Miller/Bud/Coors offerings.

My favorites:

>Newcastle Brown Ale

>Sam Adams Summer Ale (with a slice of lemon!)

>Any Heffeweisen (unfiltered wheat beer) including Widner or Harpoon UFO. (a slice of lemon goes great with this too!)

>Yuengling Amber Lager

By the way, Consumer Reports magazine once did a taste test of American beers. Mainly the run of the mill stuff. No microbrews, etc. Stroh's was rated #1 for taste, Michelob #2, and good ol' Pabst Blue Ribbon came in #3! So if you want a decent tasting beer at a bargain price, you can't go wrong with Stroh's or PBR.

PTR

By the way, Consumer Reports magazine once did a taste test of American beers.  Mainly the run of the mill stuff.  No microbrews, etc.  Stroh's was rated #1 for taste, Michelob #2, and good ol' Pabst Blue Ribbon came in #3!  So if you want a decent tasting beer at a bargain price, you can't go wrong with Stroh's or PBR.

710922[/snapback]

Good God! I happened onto 2 cans of Stroh's. Took one sip from the first, automatically spit it onto the deck (good thing I wasn't at the computer), and put the other can in the fridge to give to company that I really don't like. That stuff is sh--.