Chris Brown's mini-camp blog...

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

...QB UPDATE: Craig Nall had his best passing day this offseason. His passes had more zip, he was more decisive in where he was going with the ball. Perhaps the light bulb is going on for him with respect to the offense because he wasn't hesitating and pumping and hitching like he had been in previous camps. He was also more accurate which was good to see, and as I suspected I wouldn't be surprised if it was because he didn't have to rush any of his throws. When he was slow to make some reads he would still try to stick a ball in a tight spot, but because his read was late, he'd try to muscle a ball in and it wouldn't get there in time or go for an INT. Today he was in a good rhythm.

Kelly Holcomb on the other hand was not his consistent self. His accuracy was off, he couldn't find a rhythm and made some poor choices with the football. One of his passes was tipped by Josh Stamer and intercepted by Jabari Greer in the end zone.

J.P. Losman performed well in the 2-minute drill. He effectively marched the team down the field. They started around their own 40 with exactly 2 minutes on the clock. They needed a TD and had a timeout at their disposal. It took him six plays to score. And Martin Nance had two big plays on the drive. He converted a 2nd-and-20 and the TD. George Wilson had a nice gainer too.

Kelly Holcomb ... made some poor choices with the football. .

707394[/snapback]

Is throwing a 1 yard pass on 4th and 10 a good decision or a bad one? If it's bad we're used to that.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1One of his passes was tipped by Josh Stamer and intercepted by Jabari Greer in the end zone

707394[/snapback]

Who would have thought that he ball would have enough velocity to be tipped that far...either that or Greer was velcroed to Stamer's back, or already lying on the ground

Who would have thought that he ball would have enough velocity to be tipped that far...either that or Greer was velcroed to Stamer's back, or already lying on the ground

707402[/snapback]

Now, be fair. The int took place in the end zone, so we can safely assume that the play started on the 5.

In general folks will have good days and bad days and its nice to see Nall have some good days after his last troubled outing so that he is in the normal context for his tryouts rather than having all bad days in practice which would likely write bust all over him.

The key is to make sure that one has your good days in the ones that count (generally Sundays in the regular season) or during the exhibition games as there three QBs are dueling.

It aounds like with first down then up performance by Nall, first up then down performance by Holcomb, and a continuation of OK but not earth shattering performance by JP, we remain on track for these men to keep dueling until pre-season performances decide this battle.

The critical element which appears necessary for the Bills to achieve success, are a set of consistent good performances by one of these three against real opponents, and Jauron being patient enough to resist the declarations from some to choose somebody and designate a QB starter based on rep or practice work. He reallly needs to see these QBs prove themself on the field in the first two pre-season games and let the chips fall where they may in picking one of these three.

In the end, I think it will matter more which way this funny shaoed ball happens to bounce in these games rather than anyone's assessment based on rep or past performance who should be our starting QB or not.

Now, be fair.  The int took place in the end zone, so we can safely assume that the play started on the 5.

707404[/snapback]

couldnt have been. if the play started on the 5, stamer would have had to been at the 3 to deflect holcomb's pass away from its intended receiver.

And Martin Nance had two big plays on the drive. He converted a 2nd-and-20 and the TD.

707394[/snapback]

I can see it now. KFFL will report "Undrafted rookie WR impresses coaches, may have shot at roster spot." Then it will get picked up by internet hacks everywhere.

And I like this quote from the blog:

"The first thing I noticed was how trim he was. I would guess he's anywhere from 223 to 225 pounds."

Damn, if he can pin it down to that narrow a range, why even give a range?

So if all three QBs are even by halfway through training camp who gets the starting job? I would say Losman because he's the only one of the three that to me looks like he's got upside. As far as I'm concerned Holcomb is on the slippery slope to the retirement home (OK so I'm exagerating a little). Nall has the good arm but slow wheels. If Losman can work through the accuracy issues and gain some poise, he's got both a great arm and nifty feet.

So if all three QBs are even by halfway through training camp who gets the starting job?  I would say Losman because he's the only one of the three that to me looks like he's got upside. . . . Nall has the good arm but slow wheels. 

Brady's wheels are a lot slower than Nall's, so maybe he has the least upside of the three! Or maybe upside is a broader concept than how fast a QB's legs are.

Brady's wheels are a lot slower than Nall's, so maybe he has the least upside of the three!  Or maybe upside is a broader concept than how fast a QB's legs are.

707573[/snapback]

Really, I can't wait to see your reaction if JP succeeds. It will probably ruin your whole year.

That will make for a great story if Nance ends up making the team. There's plenty of time left for him to prove to the Bills they should keep him on the roster come september. It'd be nice to have a receiver with some size as well...to go along with all the speedsters.

Another practice, another mention of Nance making a big play.  You know, it is just AMAZING that the QBs are able to place the ball EXACTLY into his hands every time! 0:)

708090[/snapback]

Polly want a cracker? :doh:

Seriousily though I hope Nance ends up making the team and excelling.

So if all three QBs are even by halfway through training camp who gets the starting job?  I would say Losman because he's the only one of the three that to me looks like he's got upside.  As far as I'm concerned Holcomb is on the slippery slope to the retirement home (OK so I'm exagerating a little).  Nall has the good arm but slow wheels.  If Losman can work through the accuracy issues and gain some poise, he's got both a great arm and nifty feet.

707529[/snapback]

I am not sure where the misconception started that Craig Nall is immobile. He is not as nimble of foot as Losman, but he certainly isn't Drew Bledsoe. He actually, physically, kind of reminded me a bit of Ben Roethlisburger. Huge, strong arm, tough as nails (until yesterday I guess) and deceptively fast. He is raw, to be sure, but there may be something to him.

I hope Losman succeeds, but I am anxious to see Nall play too. I went back and watched the preseason scrimmage, and preseason game between the Bills and Packers. I was just wathcing to see Nall. He was going up against our third string defense, with his third string O-line in front of him (the equivalent of the Bills first string?). The Bills defense braught a major pass rush, nearly every down that Nall was in there. The guy moved in the pocket very well...Marv was an analyst for the preseason game. I can understand why he went after Nall...he looks like an NFL QB. His stats were not great, but he made a few throws, under a ton of pressure, that very few NFL QB's can make.