*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

The Dean will be proud.  :devil:

720457[/snapback]

What's with his hit and run posting lately? He goes away for like three weeks, and now he's just teasing us with a post here and there, lol.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to get you at the poker table....

720456[/snapback]

Question for you, AJ (or any of the other 4 soccer nuts :devil: ). Do you know if the guy who missed the kick for France would have been in the shootout had Zidane been available?

Question for you, AJ (or any of the other 4 soccer nuts  :devil: ).  Do you know if the guy who missed the kick for France would have been in the shootout had Zidane been available?

720461[/snapback]

That's a good question...I was wondering that myself. I'm not sure who would have fallen off the list. I'm not sure Barthez was going to stop a damn thing anyway, though....and it didn't look like Italy was planning to miss one any time soon.

Great match. PKs are a terrible way to end things though. France did outplay them and it is stupid for such a tournament to end like that. Italy played well. Hard to say they really deserved to win though. France had consistent offensive pressure- Henry played great despite the concussion, Malouda played the best I've seen all tournament from him. Zidane didn't play very well at all imo.

Strange officiating- not biased, just kind of all over the place as it had been most tournament.

Shocked Zidane lost his head like that - probably a mix of exhaustion, frustration, and whatever that guy said to him. Crappy, but memorable, way to end a great career.

Great match.  PKs are a terrible way to end things though.  France did outplay them and it is stupid for such a tournament to end like that.  Italy played well.  Hard to say they really deserved to win though.  France had consistent offensive pressure- Henry played great despite the concussion, Malouda played the best I've seen all tournament from him.  Zidane didn't play very well at all imo.

Strange officiating- not biased, just kind of all over the place as it had been most tournament. 

Shocked Zidane lost his head like that - probably a mix of exhaustion, frustration, and whatever that guy said to him.  Crappy, but memorable, way to end a great career.

720464[/snapback]

Maybe they need to give them a brief intermission or something, cause they really seemed dragging by the second overtime. I'd rather see the game end on the field, too, but scoring a goal is challenging enough when you've got legs....almost impossible when you're down to rubber.

France had a few chances, but the Italians are just a tough bunch on defense....and the couple times when france did have a really clean shot on goal, Buffon was there.

Question for you, AJ (or any of the other 4 soccer nuts  :devil: ).  Do you know if the guy who missed the kick for France would have been in the shootout had Zidane been available?

720461[/snapback]

Trezeguit (sp?) is a great striker. But hasn't seen the field much this tournament which may have made him a little rusty. If Henry, Zidane, Ribery, and or Viera were still in though, he might not have gotten the call.

good hand..play it aggressive but dont fall in love..huh oh wrong thread...

720465[/snapback]

lol....that thread will be here soon :devil: It'll be one about how the Z man smoked PTR out of his chipperoonies :lol:

Maybe they need to give them a brief intermission or something, cause they really seemed dragging by the second overtime. I'd rather see the game end on the field, too, but scoring a goal is challenging enough when you've got legs....almost impossible when you're down to rubber.

France had a few chances, but the Italians are just a tough bunch on defense....and the couple times when france did have a really clean shot on goal, Buffon was there.

720466[/snapback]

All very true. Tight match.

All very true.  Tight match.

720470[/snapback]

I think it was a great WC overall....even for the casual fan, there was a lot there to keep them interested. I honestly didn't expect to see so many GREAT goals....and there were a LOT of them. The refs got out of hand a few times, but FIFA reeled them back in for when it really counted. Italy really is a deserving champion, as they didn't give up a "real" goal the entire tourney.....that's pretty impressive. I was critical of them after the Ukraine game cause they were the beneficiary of all sorts of near-misses....off the crossbar, off the post, etc. But I think the truth of the matter is that Italy's defense is just so good that you CAN'T get a clean shot off. The Italians are just a great defensive team, and it took them all the way to the cup.

Congrats to Italy and Meazza. Italy was great during the PKs. Calm, cool, and collected.

I could not understand France taking Henry out so close to the PKs. Once it went to PKs, I knew that Italy had it.

It will be very interesting to see what ZZ has to say. What a way to end his career. As another poster said, it was kind of like Tasker getting kicked out of his last game. Come to think of it, it would belike Jim Kelly getting kicked out of the Super Bowl to end his career. Unbelievable way to end a career.

Forza Italia.

Congrats to Italy and Meazza.  Italy was great during the PKs.  Calm, cool, and collected.

I could not understand France taking Henry out so close to the PKs.  Once it went to PKs, I knew that Italy had it.

It will be very interesting to see what ZZ has to say. What a way to end his career.  As another poster said, it was kind of like Tasker getting kicked out of his last game.  Come to think of it, it would belike Jim Kelly getting kicked out of the Super Bowl to end his career.  Unbelievable way to end a career.

Forza Italia.

720472[/snapback]

I think Henry took himself out because he was having some cramps....I could be wrong, but I think I heard the announcers say something to that effect.

I don't know what to think about Zidane....hopefully he'll comment on what the Italian guy said to him that set him off....he was pretty frustrated after missing that header on goal, though, so maybe he felt somewhat defeated? Hard to imagine someone like him feeling that way, but that was a pretty shocking thing to do.

I think Henry took himself out because he was having some cramps....I could be wrong, but I think I heard the announcers say something to that effect.

I don't know what to think about Zidane....hopefully he'll comment on what the Italian guy said to him that set him off....he was pretty frustrated after missing that header on goal, though, so maybe he felt somewhat defeated? Hard to imagine someone like him feeling that way, but that was a pretty shocking thing to do.

720474[/snapback]

Zidane is known for largely ignoring the media.

Word on the street is that Materazzi used a racial slur (a little ironic considering the statements each team has read before each match). :devil: Happened a lot after they won in '98 and I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Still, ZZ shouldn't have reacted like he did.

FYI - Zidane is a "non practicing muslim", his parents are both Algerian.

For all the hype Americans create when someone says something rude / throws a snowball onto the football field the rest of the world is far, far worse.

Ajax (netherlands) is a team with a lot of Jewish history, and opponents fans often make hissing noises (a la gas chamber) to taunt them. Some black players in the UK get monkey noises from the fans every time they touch the ball, and don't forget about the always classy mexican fans chanting "Osama" during a match vs. the USA last year.

Before the WC there were all sorts of warnings to players about no no goosestepping, no nazi salutes.

720461[/snapback]

Trezeguet is a goal scorer. It would have been Zidane over the last guy, Gallas. Nevertheless...

ITALIA CAMPIONE NEL MONDO 2006

I think it was a great WC overall....even for the casual fan, there was a lot there to keep them interested. I honestly didn't expect to see so many GREAT goals....and there were a LOT of them. The refs got out of hand a few times, but FIFA reeled them back in for when it really counted. Italy really is a deserving champion, as they didn't give up a "real" goal the entire tourney.....that's pretty impressive. I was critical of them after the Ukraine game cause they were the beneficiary of all sorts of near-misses....off the crossbar, off the post, etc. But I think the truth of the matter is that Italy's defense is just so good that you CAN'T get a clean shot off. The Italians are just a great defensive team, and it took them all the way to the cup.

720471[/snapback]

And ... the defence played pretty horrible today.

Video of head butt

720510[/snapback]

This one's even better.

http://francefighter.ytmnd.com/

I don't care what Materazzi said. You're on the field. The insults should bounce off you.

Today the Italian national team laid an egg. Probably one of the most ugly games. Seems as if Italy felt they won once they beat Germany. Nevertheless, after being the victim of the penalty roulette back in 94, I'll take it.