*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

WHY YOU SHOULD ROOT FOR FRANCE:

Although many people dislike the French, unless you are Italian you should be rooting for France. Here is why:

1) The Italian penchant for diving. They are on top of the world as far as faking injuries and taking dives. Nothing is more annoying than this.

2) Italian Soccer Scandal: Italian Soccer is currently in the midst of a huge scandal that at least calls into question the integrity of their soccer leagues and management. The Italian goalkeeper and a few others have been accused of betting on games within the league. Imagine if Brian Cashman  was found out to have been requesting (and getting) certain referees for Yankees games, and Roger Clemens was found out to have been betting on MLB games on a regular basis. Don't put anything past these people.

3) The single biggest cheap shot in this world cup was an elbow to the head of a US player by the Italians.

4) If Italy wins, every greasy haired guido who has made fun of soccer for the last 3.95 years will be all excited talking about how great their team did.

720393[/snapback]

All very true...and then every time I find myself rooting for France, I think "But...they're French."

Then I start rooting for Italy, and think "But...they're the biggest !@#$ing divers in the world."

I think I'll change the channel... :devil:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very true...and then every time I find myself rooting for France, I think "But...they're French." 

Then I start rooting for Italy, and think "But...they're the biggest !@#$ing divers in the world."

I think I'll change the channel...  :devil:

720408[/snapback]

YOU know you're watching..... :lol:

these announcers are horrible (as usual). Henri wasn't "getting excited" - he was screaming at his teammate to be there for his passes acrosee the middle of the box.

bad non call, but this ref wasn't about to give 2 pks in the same game unless it is really bad.

and the first PK wasn't a dive - when you are running full speed and in the air and you get bumped in the thigh you are going down.

these announcers are horrible (as usual). Henry wasn't "getting excited" - he was screaming at his teammate to be there for his passes acrosee the middle of the box.

bad non call, but this ref wasn't about to give 2 pks in the same game unless it is really bad.

and the first PK wasn't a dive - when you are running full speed and in the air and you get bumped in the thigh you are going down.

720412[/snapback]

Balboa made me laugh during the first half, though....he said something like, "You know who needs to get involved? Francesco Totti....he's just out there floating around and taking dives" :lol::devil:

Wow, france just caught a huge break there....Italy was offsides when the movement was going on before the free kick, but they got back onsides before the ball was struck.....should have been a goal for Italy, IMO.

zepp, if you draw a straight line on your TV  - i suggest a sharpie :D  - the player as definitely offsides when the ball was kicked.

720415[/snapback]

lol....I just went by eyesight, but I could swear they got back....I clearly saw them advance into an offsides position, but then it looked like either they moved back or the french defenders moved toward the goal. If you're using a sharpie, though, I'll defer to you :devil:

What's your take on homerun-throwback? :lol:

i was ready to reference the homerun throwback because I thought someone might make a comment that the camera angle makes them look more offsides than they were...

720418[/snapback]

yeah, it did look like that to me, but I want France to win, so I'm good :devil:

i really wish they'd reference what was going on on the field. At least say "the french player is claiming his shirt was being pulled when he went up for the ball" - the replay seemed to show it to some extent but they don't even reference it.

i really wish they'd reference what was going on on the field. At least say "the french player is claiming his shirt was being pulled when he went up for the ball" - the replay seemed to show it to some extent but they don't even reference it.

720420[/snapback]

I agree....in fact, I've always felt it would be interesting to have the audio from the actual play on the field (maybe just mic the ref?) instead of having announcers....Probably not everyone feels that way, but I'm the kind of person who likes to be as close to, and as involved with, the game as possible.

"boston one of the greatest cities in the world"??? I love Boston, but come on. Next he'll say "Elmira, one worlds most cultural cities".

Phil Mushnick is going to have a field day with these announcers.

Yeah...but I just can't get excited about this game.  These dumbass announcers aren't helping, either...

720426[/snapback]

Well, just think about how much Meazza will crap his pants if this goes to PKs....maybe that thought will be more entertaining to ya than the actual game :devil:

WTF was Zidane thinking with THAT???? Friggin headbutts the Italian guy right in the chest??? :devil:

Zidane went b.harami!

Well, just think about how much Meazza will crap his pants if this goes to PKs....maybe that thought will be more entertaining to ya than the actual game  :devil:

720428[/snapback]

if you want entertaining world cup...do what me and puhonix did...

yesterday we went golfing and tivo'ed the 3rd place game. Watched the game in fast forward. stopped when there was a goal, and watched the lead up and the goal. the match was over in about 20 minutes. Now THATS exciting soccer. I didnt have to waste 2 hours watching floppers and divers and pansies writhing in "pain"

I could watch soccer if every match was like that.

edit: zidane is a cheap piece of sh--. i hope that causes france to lose...

WTF was Zidane thinking with THAT????  Friggin headbutts the Italian guy right in the chest??? :devil:

720429[/snapback]

Zidane was ovbiously more than willing to let it go, until the Italian guy said SOMETHING that set him off.

A well-deserved red card nonetheless. And not caring much about this game (my biggest concern is not having to listen to meazza for the next four years), I though it was kind of funny. Not every day you see someone put their forehead in someone else's chest...