*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The USA's only point against WC champions- Ill take it

720540[/snapback]

wouldn't really say our only point was scored against the WC champions. more like our only point was scored by the WC champs :devil:

btw, whats up with your avatar caption -- Yippy Kia? Why not Yippy Honda Fit? :lol:

wouldn't really say our only point was scored against the WC champions.  more like our only point was scored by the WC champs :devil:

btw, whats up with your avatar caption -- Yippy Kia?  Why not Yippy Honda Fit? :lol:

720543[/snapback]

um- point in the standings and um- ever see Die Hard?

The odd thing is: he's apparently really not a POS.  Kind of like Steve Tasker getting booted out of his last game...

720434[/snapback]

Zidane has had incidences of pulling cheap shots. I've seen it before. People just pay attention to the world stage.

Sort of like rating a hockey players greatness from watching the Olympics.

Zidane has had incidences of pulling cheap shots.  I've seen it before.  People just pay attention to the world stage.

Sort of like rating a hockey players greatness from watching the Olympics.

720552[/snapback]

I would love to know what the two of them said to each other.

Apparently Zidane was given the good old "Nipple Twister"

Disgracefully, the 34-year-old head-butted Marco Materazzi in the chest with 109 minutes gone. Words had been spoken between the two and it appeared as though the former Everton defender twisted Zidane's nipple, but the Frenchman's reaction was ridiculous

Zidane

I heard it was a racist comment about Zidane's Algerian heritage.

720683[/snapback]

I would love to know what the two of them said to each other.

720557[/snapback]

I'm curious too, but should it matter? I've seen some really stupid, selfish behavior during this Cup.

Even hockey players who talk trash and slam into each other all game know to keep their cool when the championship is on the line.

Edit: If Zidane's behavior was a joke, I guess this is the punchline.

I'm curious too, but should it matter? I've seen some really stupid, selfish behavior during this Cup.

Even hockey players who talk trash and slam into each other all game know to keep their cool when the championship is on the line.

720687[/snapback]

I wonder if the trashtalking was done in Italian, French, or German?

I wonder if the trashtalking was done in Italian, French, or German?

720689[/snapback]

Which brings up another point....although I thought the refs did a fine job during this game, the network made a point of saying that the Argentinian referee didn't speak French or Italian.

Where's the sense in that?

Great match.  PKs are a terrible way to end things though.  France did outplay them and it is stupid for such a tournament to end like that.  Italy played well.  Hard to say they really deserved to win though.  France had consistent offensive pressure- Henry played great despite the concussion, Malouda played the best I've seen all tournament from him.  Zidane didn't play very well at all imo.

Strange officiating- not biased, just kind of all over the place as it had been most tournament. 

Shocked Zidane lost his head like that - probably a mix of exhaustion, frustration, and whatever that guy said to him.  Crappy, but memorable, way to end a great career.

720464[/snapback]

I don't really understand these sentiments. They scored their only goal on a dive. Italy controlled the first half and had a goal negated on an offsides, which was probably the right call, but still somewhat arbitrary as it didn't have much to do with the play (the other guy headed it in).

France obviously controlled the 2nd half and OT. If it were a football game, they probably would've had 60 more yards of total offense, but it's hard to say they "deserved" to win more than France IMO.

I agree the officiating was awful - though it was much better in the quarter/semi's than it was in the 1st round.