*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

I don't really understand these sentiments.  They scored their only goal on a dive.  Italy controlled the first half and had a goal negated on an offsides, which was probably the right call, but still somewhat arbitrary as it didn't have much to do with the play (the other guy headed it in). 

France obviously controlled the 2nd half and OT.  If it were a football game, they probably would've had 60 more yards of total offense, but it's hard to say they "deserved" to win more than France IMO.

I agree the officiating was awful - though it was much better in the quarter/semi's than it was in the 1st round.

720692[/snapback]

I wouldn't call the goal as being a dive- the defender was why he fell down going full speed, contact was minimal though. Then later when there was a clear foul in the box nothing was called. So it kind of evened out.

All I was saying was that it didn't seem like it was really the better team (that day) that won. I don't fully understand what was hard to understand about that since france controlled the game for the last 85 minutes. Congrats to Italy though, tremendous defense and came through in the clutch of pks.

I wasn't saying the officiating was awful, just kind of ludicrously inconsistent- as it has been most of the tournement. Obviously the red on Zidane was the right call though. But when Zidane was brutally fouled on the header where he hurt his shoulder, I couldn't believe that there was no call.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROFL, clipped?  Admittadly I haven't paused it on Tivo 50 times but the half dozen replays they showed during the game made it pretty clear to observers more impartial than me that it was a no-contact dive. 

I'm not going to pretend to know much about the politics of Italian soccer, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many first world countries more racist than France.

720837[/snapback]

Spain is racist as well.

So what is your take then.  That he did what was right?  So many people are defending Zidane even though he himself has not spoken up about why he attacked the player.

720796[/snapback]

My take? Some one-named frog finally did something actually physical so they sent him home. Then some of the remaining guys played a carnival game until one group "won" and got to raise the golden ice cream cone so an ecstatic Guido nation could take a day off from shaking each other down.

Welcome to why kickball sucks. Enjoy your "championship". :doh:

I wouldn't call the goal as being a dive- the defender was why he fell down going full speed, contact was minimal though.  Then later when there was a clear foul in the box nothing was called.  So it kind of evened out.

All I was saying was that it didn't seem like it was really the better team (that day) that won.  I don't fully understand what was hard to understand about that since france controlled the game for the last 85 minutes.  Congrats to Italy though, tremendous defense and came through in the clutch of pks.

I wasn't saying the officiating was awful, just kind of ludicrously inconsistent- as it has been most of the tournement.  Obviously the red on Zidane was the right call though.  But when Zidane was brutally fouled on the header where he hurt his shoulder, I couldn't believe that there was no call.

720850[/snapback]

It was probably one of the worst games the Azzurri played in this whole tournament. Even the defence was off most of the time.

Not directed specifically at you, but isn't calling an entire nation of people racist....well, racist?

720860[/snapback]

Got me there :doh: I meant, in general the Spanish fans boo their own players if they are black.

It was probably one of the worst games the Azzurri played in this whole tournament.  Even the defence was off most of the time.

720857[/snapback]

I would agree, a lot of chances got through- but no goals in those last 80 minutes while France had the pressure on, is still damn impressive. That save off the Zidane header was ridiculous. Couldn't believe when Ribery hit it just wide though. Henry looked so dangerous with the ball - I just wished he had shot a little more rather than try and make the perfect pass.

I would agree, a lot of chances got through- but no goals in those last 80 minutes while France had the pressure on, is still damn impressive.  That save off the Zidane header was ridiculous.  Couldn't believe when Ribery hit it just wide though.  Henry looked so dangerous with the ball - I just wished he had shot a little more rather than try and make the perfect pass.

720864[/snapback]

I really don't understand how the midfield turned up so bland. I understand that Gattuso was man marking Zidane and did a decent job of it, but Pirlo, Perotta and Camoranesi were horrible. Cannavaro looked very nervous all game. Credit to Buffon though, always had faith.

My take?  Some one-named frog finally did something actually physical so they sent him home.  Then some of the remaining guys played a carnival game until one group "won" and got to raise the golden ice cream cone so an ecstatic Guido nation could take a day off from shaking each other down. 

Welcome to why kickball sucks.  Enjoy your "championship".  :doh:

720854[/snapback]

Generally, athletes are referred to by their last names.

Thanks for your blessing :blink:

Generally, athletes are referred to by their last names.

720874[/snapback]

Perhaps that's because kickball is so complex that there isn't room left over in the minds of "fans" for such trivial detail. Thanks for the explanation, though (because I was really wondering :doh:).

Couldn't believe when Ribery hit it just wide though.  Henry looked so dangerous with the ball - I just wished he had shot a little more rather than try and make the perfect pass.

720864[/snapback]

ribery was one of the stars of the tournament....I was very impressed with his play....he was all over the place, making great tackles, great passes, and some great shots.

And I love watching Henry play....he definitely should have taken a few more shots, cause there were a few times when he had an opening, but the Italian defenders closed on it in a hurry. He should have just let loose.

I think Barthez should have had at least one save, though.....that guy sucks.

ribery was one of the stars of the tournament....I was very impressed with his play....he was all over the place, making great tackles, great passes, and some great shots.

And I love watching Henry play....he definitely should have taken a few more shots, cause there were a few times when he had an opening, but the Italian defenders closed on it in a hurry. He should have just let loose.

I think Barthez should have had at least one save, though.....that guy sucks.

720877[/snapback]

Well, that was the end of Barthez on the national team. He was actually a surprise selection over Coupet - who was widely thought of as better. Barthez can't really be blamed for the loss, but he didn't do anything to help win it.

Ribery made himself a multi-millionaire at this WC. They were saying he may go to Arsenal. He's an amazing story- thrown through a windshield at the age of two in a horrific car accident. Somehow survived- though now has horselike mug and nasty 14 inch long scars on the side of his face.

Ribery made himself a multi-millionaire at this WC.  They were saying he may go to Arsenal.  He's an amazing story- thrown through a windshield at the age of two in a horrific car accident.  Somehow survived- though now has horselike mug and nasty 14 inch long scars on the side of his face.

720897[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't know that about him. I'd actually love to see him on Arsenal since that's "my team" in the EPL. Someone on here (I think it may have been BritBillsFan....not sure) compared them to the Bills, so I figured that was a good place to start. Henry is my favorite international player, and Lehmann is their keeper, so I'd love to see a hard-worker like Ribery playing for them.

Wow, I didn't know that about him. I'd actually love to see him on Arsenal since that's "my team" in the EPL. Someone on here (I think it may have been BritBillsFan....not sure) compared them to the Bills, so I figured that was a good place to start. Henry is my favorite international player, and Lehmann is their keeper, so I'd love to see a hard-worker like Ribery playing for them.

720901[/snapback]

Arsenal just signed Rosicky too. Remember him being unstoppable against the USA? I like Arsenal too- I got to watch them play in their punting section and forever those chants will be stuck in my head. I also like the Celtics and Newcastle. Time to pick some teams in every league

Arsenal just signed Rosicky too.  Remember him being unstoppable against the USA?  I like Arsenal too-  I got to watch them play in their punting section and forever those chants will be stuck in my head.  I also like the Celtics and Newcastle.  Time to pick some teams in every league

720903[/snapback]

Meazza convinced me to pick Roma for the Serie A, so I need to find one for the German and Spanish leagues now.

Where does Klose play?

Meazza convinced me to pick Roma for the Serie A, so I need to find one for the German and Spanish leagues now.

Where does Klose play?

720908[/snapback]

I like Juventis in Italy. Klose plays for Werder Bremen

I like Juventis in Italy.  Klose plays for Werder Bremen

720914[/snapback]

Okay, there's my German team then :doh: Is Juventis one of the teams that are going to be relegated?