i hate to say it but mcgahee

What he said.

For some reason, there are some people on this board who have it in for Willis.  I just do not understand it.

Let's recap:

1.  Willis had the strength of character to come back from what could have been a career ending injury. I am amazed he has been able to do what he has done given my initial reaction when I saw the play.

2.  Willis is the fastest Bills RB to gain 2,000 yards in his career.  Faster than OJ.  Faster than Thurman.  Faster than anyone else.  He did this behind a piss poor offensive line.  He also did this even though our brilliant coaching staff took him out of games on third down so often.

3.  Anyone who saw the Miami game last year and saw the expression on Willlis' face when the Dolphins one the game knows that Willis cares deeply about winning and losing.  In fact, he said, when Bills were out of the playoff picture, that the players have to continue to play hard for the pride of the players and the team.

4.  Instead of bitching and moaning like TH did, Willis welcomed the challenge to compete with TH.

5.  Willis comes from a good family in Miami.  Yet, he did not grow up in white middle class suburbia as most of us on this board probably did.  Just because he does not speak like you and me does NOT mean that he is not intelligent.

6.  People have questioned his commitment to the Bills and from the moment he was drafted have been predicting that he would hold out and demand more money.  Has he?  No.  Instead, he has bought a house in Buffalo.

7.  Willis did not show up yesterday for a VOLUNTARY work out.  Neither did London Fletcher, Troy Vincent, and others.  Have there been other posts today dissing Fletcher or Vincent as punks etc.  Of course not.

8.  It appears that there are some on the board who have it in for Willis for reasons that have nothing to do with what he has done on the field.  My guess is that it is some anti-Cane bias on their part. I also have seen the same thing when people go out of their way to criticize Roscoe Parrish.

9.  I have a lot of concerns about the Bills. Willis is not one of them.  I would love to see the offensive line and QB (whoever it might be) show as much as Willis has in the two years he has been playing with the Bills.  If they did, we would have a very good offense.

685363[/snapback]

There have been times throughout Willis's career that I've questioned his commitment to Buffalo but you do bring up some good points.

Nice post :w00t:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS MIGHT BE WORTH MENTIONING ALSO, WILLIS IS IN MIAMI IN 100 DEGREE WEATHER, WORKING HIS ASS OFF. i just thought that might help out when others question his attitude and work ethic. !@#$ mini camp. that sh-- is for the rooks!

685359[/snapback]

Not when your brand-new coaching staff is trying to install a brand-new offense.

For the record, I had the same reaction when Travis skipped one of Mularkey's first minicamps two years ago. As with Henry, I'm not worried about McGahee showing up for training camp out of shape -- that's never been a problem with either player. But I'd rather not see WMcG wait until training camp to start getting some reps in Fairchild's offense, either.

JMO.

And for future reference: calling someone a dumbass (or other 'colorful metaphor'), merely because he or she happens to disagree with your opinion, is frowned upon by the TSW moderating staff.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Sorry, but you couldn't be any more wrong imro. Your stats leave out some important issues:

1) W/L record. Lori once did me a favor and looked up the W/L records of games in which both backs started. Willis had an OK record (approx. .500) and the Bills won a shockingly low number of games in which Travis started.

Yes, I know it is a "team game," but the Bills didn't start winning in 04 until Travis was benched. Do you deny this?

2) As is the actual screen name of a poster on TSW, Henry Fumbles. His giveaways have cost the Bills a few losses, including his debut vs. the jests iirc.

3) Henry can't catch. Nubmbers notwithstanding,  he drops the football quite often when it is thrown his way. Not only that, he is too stupid to run assigned patterns.

4) Henry is a poor blocker. He is built to block and certainly strong enough to do so, but he seems to be too dumb to know who he is even supposed to block. Sacks decreased dramatically as soon as he was benched in 04, right?

5) If Henry was even almost as good as you say, why is he not in there (when not on drug suspension) all the time? Do you consider Fisher too dumb to put such a star on the field? Do you think that Willis would see more playing time than Travis if he was a Titan?  :P

In summary, if Willis is not satisfied right now, I am glad. The team was 5-11, and he played behid a horrid OL and shaky at best qbs. If we are to improve in 06, I am thinking that Willis will be a huge part of the equation.

The Bills have far bigger problems than Willis MaGahee.

Jmo.

685466[/snapback]

To clarify, my main point wasn't to say Henry was better than McGahee. As pure athletes, no one can argue that Willis is better than Henry. Willis is bigger and faster (though as I pointed out Henry's long run was 64 and Willis is 41). It was to call out Willis for not being at mini camp and learning the new offense. I used Henry for an example to show Willis still has a long way to go.

Now for the sake of argument, let me argue some of the points you made.

1) When Willis stepped in 2004, the Bills started winning. However in his first year as a starter, the team went 5-11. Henry in 2003 was coming off an 8-8 season and by all accounts a playoff contender for 2004. However, TD used a first round pick on Willis rather than someone who could be an immediate help to the team. But as you said, it is a team game. :)

2) Henry does fumble a great deal and Willis is a lot better handling the ball. However, Henry did improve as he grew older like other good backs have (see Tiki Barber and Ahman Green). In fact, in 2004 before he was benched, he had zero fumbles.

3) Travis had seasons of 40 and 28 catches. For a guy who can't catch and is too dumb to run routes, he got lucky 40 times. :w00t: Not too bad. Willis has yet to have 20. Granted, Willis isn't being used right but how come the Bills decided to keep Henry in on 3rd downs?

4) Drew Bledsoe can make any pass protection look bad. :lol:

5) The drug suspension definitely hurt Travis. However, the Titans still thought enough of Henry to give up a high 3rd in a market where Edge and Alexander couldn't get a 2nd and Eric Moulds was only worth a 5th. It is also interesting how many linemen said they loved blocking for Henry and opponents like Keith Bullock talked about how hard it was to tackle Henry and how hard he ran.

In closing, my point wasn't to say Henry is better than Willis. Willis is our best offensive player, really good in Madden, and one of the few players we have that are nationally recognized. However, Henry never got enough respect and Willis got his too quickly. I know our line sucks and it is by no means Willis' fault. However, San Diego doesn't have all pros or high round picks all over their line and LT makes it work. Willis can be (and I hope) an amazing rb. I want him to get 1,800 yards and 10 tds. However in terms of production, he has yet to match Henry. I really want him to step up and become a leader. That starts by building chemistry with teammates and learning a new offense. And Willis can't do that from Miami. Nice arguing with you, though. :lol:

Not when your brand-new coaching staff is trying to install a brand-new offense.

For the record, I had the same reaction when Travis skipped one of Mularkey's first minicamps two years ago. As with Henry, I'm not worried about McGahee showing up for training camp out of shape -- that's never been a problem with either player. But I'd rather not see WMcG wait until training camp to start getting some reps in Fairchild's offense, either.

JMO.

And for future reference: calling someone a dumbass (or other 'colorful metaphor'), merely because he or she happens to disagree with your opinion, is frowned upon by the TSW moderating staff.

685523[/snapback]

I agree with that 100% and that was my main point.

A long term deal where? At the Betty Ford Clinic, or the local bus depot to search for runaway teens?

685467[/snapback]

When Willis leaves or tries to hold out, are you going to trash him as well? I guess you really don't like Henry but you don't need to trash him. He was productive with the Bills and now he is Tennessee's problem. Come on man, where's the love? :w00t:

685523[/snapback]

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! :w00t:

What he said.

For some reason, there are some people on this board who have it in for Willis.  I just do not understand it.

Let's recap:

1.  Willis had the strength of character to come back from what could have been a career ending injury. I am amazed he has been able to do what he has done given my initial reaction when I saw the play.

2.  Willis is the fastest Bills RB to gain 2,000 yards in his career.  Faster than OJ.  Faster than Thurman.  Faster than anyone else.  He did this behind a piss poor offensive line.  He also did this even though our brilliant coaching staff took him out of games on third down so often.

3.  Anyone who saw the Miami game last year and saw the expression on Willlis' face when the Dolphins won the game knows that Willis cares deeply about winning and losing.  In fact, he said, when Bills were out of the playoff picture, that the players have to continue to play hard for the pride of the players and the team.

4.  Instead of bitching and moaning like TH did, Willis welcomed the challenge to compete with TH.

5.  Willis comes from a good family in Miami.  Yet, he did not grow up in white middle class suburbia as most of us on this board probably did.  Just because he does not speak like you and me does NOT mean that he is not intelligent.

6.  People have questioned his commitment to the Bills and from the moment he was drafted have been predicting that he would hold out and demand more money.  Has he?  No.  Instead, he has bought a house in Buffalo.

7.  Willis did not show up yesterday for a VOLUNTARY work out.  Neither did London Fletcher, Troy Vincent, and others.  Have there been other posts today dissing Fletcher or Vincent as punks etc.  Of course not.

8.  It appears that there are some on the board who have it in for Willis for reasons that have nothing to do with what he has done on the field.  My guess is that it is some anti-Cane bias on their part. I also have seen the same thing when people go out of their way to criticize Roscoe Parrish.

9.  I have a lot of concerns about the Bills. Willis is not one of them.  I would love to see the offensive line and QB (whoever it might be) show as much as Willis has in the two years he has been playing with the Bills.  If they did, we would have a very good offense.

685363[/snapback]

Now that's a ball washing that Joe Theismann would be proud of. He may use some of your material if the Bills ever make it back onto primetime. :w00t:

Now that's a ball washing that Joe Theismann would be proud of.  He may use some of your material if the Bills ever make it back onto primetime. :w00t:

685565[/snapback]

Unfortunately for you, it is all true.

Don't let the facts stand in your way of your attempts to trash Willis.

Unfortunately for you, it is all true.

Don't let the facts stand in your way of your attempts to trash Willis.

685581[/snapback]

Bottom line, the only facts that make a difference is the record at the end of the season.

See that's my problem right there.  Granted, Henry was a poor decision maker and had problems off the field (as his many critics will point) but he worked his butt off.  Plus, he grew up loved the Bills and loved being here.  Now, I like Willis alot and certainly believe he's a good player.  But I think he is more in love with being a famous football player as evidence by him doing all these silly shows.  I'm not saying he doesn't work hard.  But his attitude has changed from that guy who was coming off the knee injury and trying to show the world he was back.  So this attitude of not showing up to voluntary camp is just really ticking me off.  News flash Willis.  You're not the best back in the league.  You're not even better than Travis Henry.

Travis Henry (2nd year)

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 325 1438 4.4 34 13 10 72

Willis (best year)

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 15 325 1247 3.8 27 5 4 71

And for those who think Henry couldn't break a long run, Henry's long is 64.  Willis is 41.  I don't want people to think I have a something against Willis.  I just really liked Henry and defintiely think he was very underappreciated (and very disrespected by fans).  Willis is a good football player but I think his selection is the perfect summary of the the TD era.  He makes a great trade with Atlanta and gets a first round pick.  Rather than select a lineman on either side of the ball, he goes for a guy who can't help us for a year and alienates one of the better players on our time.  Flash over substance.  So Willis please cut the crap and become a leader.  That being said, here's hoping for 1,800 yards and 10 tds.  :w00t:  Sorry for the rant, Go Sabres!!!  :lol:

685317[/snapback]

Thanks for saying this. I have thought these things silently for a long time, and I think TD and the Bills fans treated TH shamelessly. No one worked harder than Henry. Willis, despite his obvious skills, doesn't seem like a team player to me. I expect him to be out of here once his contract runs out.

Bottom line, the only facts that make a difference is the record at the end of the season.

685587[/snapback]

You are partially correct. Who was responsible for that miserable record?

Thanks for saying this.  I have thought these things silently for a long time, and I think TD and the Bills fans treated TH shamelessly.  No one worked harder than Henry.  Willis, despite his obvious skills, doesn't seem like a team player to me.  I expect him to be out of here once his contract runs out.

685592[/snapback]

Would any of you guys trade Willis straight up for TH????

There is not one GM or coach in this league that would do that.

Would any of you guys trade Willis straight up for TH????

There is not one GM or coach in this league that would do that.

685596[/snapback]

I wouldn't make that trade as of todya as I wouldn't have drafted Willis.

i wuld trade willis for a first and second round pick next yea. i watched him take too many games off. barry sanders had no o-line and he did alright

685600[/snapback]

What do you think you could get for JP?

i wuld trade willis for a first and second round pick next yea. i watched him take too many games off. barry sanders had no o-line and he did alright

685600[/snapback]

If thats the measuring stick you're gonna use for rb's then you're going to be sorely dissapointed in any rb we ever get.

JMO.

685523[/snapback]

I agree.

Dumbass. :w00t:

Guest dog14787
Never mind the absurdity of the cringe-worthy comments like claiming he was better than LT.  This guy never puts in the extra effort, doesn't seem to give a damn if we win or lose, and now decides he doesn't need to go to the last two voluntary camps, and is (maybe--but his "i thought the Bills played in NYC" comment gives one pause) one IQ point above Travis Henry.  I know what era we are in, but when a team  pays you first round money to  sit out your first year with your bum knee, you would hope that there would be more loyalty even in this day and age.  Also, did he seem slow last year? If and when the o-line situation is ever resolved I say we trade him for a more team-oriented guy.

Ok i feel better for venting.

685188[/snapback]

Raving is more like it. Raving mad :lol:

Willis McGaHee is a big hero of mine. He has roots and traditions he follows.

We are honored By his presence on the team. :w00t:

What he does on the field the next couple of years :lol: will shut you and all the rest of the loonies up.

I've said it before and i'll say it again GO JOIN THE FISH FORUM

because you smell like one!!! :)

See that's my problem right there.  Granted, Henry was a poor decision maker and had problems off the field (as his many critics will point) but he worked his butt off.  Plus, he grew up loved the Bills and loved being here.  Now, I like Willis alot and certainly believe he's a good player.  But I think he is more in love with being a famous football player as evidence by him doing all these silly shows.  I'm not saying he doesn't work hard.  But his attitude has changed from that guy who was coming off the knee injury and trying to show the world he was back.  So this attitude of not showing up to voluntary camp is just really ticking me off.  News flash Willis.  You're not the best back in the league.  You're not even better than Travis Henry.

Travis Henry (2nd year)

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 325 1438 4.4 34 13 10 72

Willis (best year)

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 15 325 1247 3.8 27 5 4 71

And for those who think Henry couldn't break a long run, Henry's long is 64.  Willis is 41.  I don't want people to think I have a something against Willis.  I just really liked Henry and defintiely think he was very underappreciated (and very disrespected by fans).  Willis is a good football player but I think his selection is the perfect summary of the the TD era.  He makes a great trade with Atlanta and gets a first round pick.  Rather than select a lineman on either side of the ball, he goes for a guy who can't help us for a year and alienates one of the better players on our time.  Flash over substance.  So Willis please cut the crap and become a leader.  That being said, here's hoping for 1,800 yards and 10 tds.  :w00t:  Sorry for the rant, Go Sabres!!!  :lol:

685317[/snapback]

Well, considering that the Titans still have Chris Brown plus they drafted LenDale White, Travis may be available soon.

biscuit, i really dont care who u are and if i am messing with u. u are just mad because your boy got beat out and now u are looking for any oppurtunity to bash willis. oh and by the way those runs did exist i watched every single snap the last three years. i will say what i want whenever i want to! deal with it. dont be so sensative especially when u yourself call call your boy travis to dumb to run routes. that seems pretty harsh, just a little bit.... :w00t:

biscuit, i really dont care who u are and if i am messing with u.  u are just mad because your boy got beat out and now u are looking for any oppurtunity to bash willis.  oh and by the way those runs did exist i watched every single snap the last three years. i will say what i want whenever i want to! deal with it.  dont be so sensative especially when u yourself call call your boy travis to dumb to run routes. that seems pretty harsh, just a little bit.... :w00t:

685646[/snapback]

Please consider capitalizing "dumb ass" in your future posts. :lol:

Thanks for saying this.  I have thought these things silently for a long time, and I think TD and the Bills fans treated TH shamelessly.  No one worked harder than Henry.  Willis, despite his obvious skills, doesn't seem like a team player to me.  I expect him to be out of here once his contract runs out.

685592[/snapback]

I think that Travis Henry will go down as one of the more enigmatic players in Bills History. On one hand, one can point to his production, which was impressive enough. On the other hand, he had a huge case of fumbilitis. He also didn't seem to have his head screwed on straight, from his legal troubles to taking a terrible (for him) contract extension from Donahoe before he could get paid. In examining the balance sheet, I think that it simply cannot be discounted that Buffalo replaced and traded him, and now the Titans have effectively replaced him as well. I suspect that deep down, Henry simply did not have the mentality to be a premier NFL back.

JDG

685600[/snapback]

Yup, Barry did alright. :w00t:

Personally I think your point backs up WM.

If we take it as a given that our O-Line performed terribly last year, WM achieving 10th in the league last year was exemplary.

Imagine what he could accomplish behind a good line....

....with a good passing game.....

.....and good play-calling.....

....and being in on 3rd downs....

.....with the players motivated around him.....

No, I think he is going to be fine. :lol:

It doesn't surprise me that Willis has a bad attitude, he's from the U!

Grant it all football players are arrogant, players from the U take it to another level. Was very disappoinhted in Willis alst season and don't expect him to be here long.

i like mcgahee..................but im not so sure about his attitude......he says alot of the right things but he also seems a bit selfish.you just know if he has a break out year this is a player that would have no qualms about holding out for his big payday.all the gratitude of the bills drafting him in the 1st round when he was hurt and paying him that 1st seson where he didnt touch the ball once will not matter,he feels he jot jobbed out of a huge contract,even though he was physically unable to play football.i really hope the a-train regains some of his magic....if he comes back to form and willis overplays his hand (holdout)it won't burden the bills so bad.....go bills in"06

biscuit, i really dont care who u are and if i am messing with u.  u are just mad because your boy got beat out and now u are looking for any oppurtunity to bash willis.  oh and by the way those runs did exist i watched every single snap the last three years. i will say what i want whenever i want to! deal with it.  dont be so sensative especially when u yourself call call your boy travis to dumb to run routes. that seems pretty harsh, just a little bit.... :(

685646[/snapback]

Judging by your reading comprehension, I find it kinda of ironic that you of all people can call someone a dumb ass. I never called Henry a dumb ass. It was a response to a poster who called Henry too dumb to run routes. I stated that it was pretty impressive for someone too "dumb" to run routes to catch 40 passes in a season. For the last time (and I'll make it really simple so someone of your particular "knowledge" can understand), Willis is the best player on our offense and could become an amazing player. However, while he believes he is an elite back, he has yet to match the production of Henry (who a lot of Bills fans definitely overlooked and underappreciated). Willis could be taking steps to having a huge season, becoming a leader, and learn a brand new offense early at this mini-camps. However, he hasn't made the effort to show up. While most every other veteran was there, he had better things to do like appear on paintball competitions. :( Here's hoping to great year for Willis and more importantly to the Bills. However, we'll see how many people will be defending him after he tries to leave next year and turns his back on a team that took a chance on him. Hopefully, I'm wrong but I'm thinking I'm not. And like I said before, I don't care what you have to say and you have every right to say it. However when someone argues with you and the only response you can come back with is his dumb ass, you just sound like an idiot. Say what you gotta say. Just don't be a douche. Go Bills!!!

All bullsh-- aside. To this point, I havent seen much from Willis to get me enthused. Still in the potential stage. Just here a lot of "If he regains his speed" or "If he does this" or that. To me, if the Bills dumped him, it would be no great loss.jmho

All bullsh-- aside. To this point, I havent seen much from Willis to get me enthused. Still in the potential stage. Just here a lot of "If he regains his speed" or "If he does this" or that. To me, if the Bills dumped him, it would be no great loss.jmho

685831[/snapback]

To this I say, running backs nowadays are a dime a dozen and don't last very long. However, elite ones are hard to find. This will be the year when we find out if Willis is the former or latter. And if he proves to be an elite back, it's gonna be costly.

look biscuit i really think this whole thing is being misunderstood on both sides. all i know is willis is clearly better than henry in all concievable arguments.

-willis is clearly a better talent, u said it yourself

-willis is a better blocker and clearly has better vision based on the yards he has gotten with no holes.

-willis led the afc in 100 yd games and 20 yard runs in 04. major stats when talking about rb's

-willis mcgahee has a great attitude and wants to be the best. i love how randy cross and u yourself have alot of the same attributes :(

-willis mcgahee came back from possibly the worst knee injury ever. and he is about 90-95 percent of the same player.

-willis is the fastest rb in nfl history to get to 10 100 yd games!

-and once again willis is in a similar circumstance to moulds in the late 90's and early part of this decade as far as moulds and willis not having great players around them on offense and having the defense constantly all over them, always being double teamed.

-the o-line sucks and will at best be maybe average this year which i doubt.

-oh and guess what biscuit???? vincent, spikes, fletcher, peerless and a couple others didnt show up to camp either. i need more venting from u. go ahead and bash those guys too.

your critique in my grammar is so insightful and i love your comments so much that i really dont understand how one can say news flash willis your not even as good as travis and then say willis is clearly the better talent. :(

biscuit everything is going to be ok with travis. hopefully he can stop being a dumbass like some around here and lay down the doobie ;)

listen, this is football and i am sorry for calling u a dumbass but please man i really hope i didnt get under your skin that much. we will see what happens this year with both rb's.

To this I say, running backs nowadays are a dime a dozen and don't last very long.  However, elite ones are hard to find.  This will be the year when we find out if Willis is the former or latter.  And if he proves to be an elite back, it's gonna be costly.

685840[/snapback]

yeah. Again,IMHO, I would rather spend bucks on my OLine to make average backs look great. Thats the way I would approach it anyway. Dont really care what Willis does.

I guarantee you that every single one of the top 15 running backs in the league is 100% positive that they are the best running back in the league. The only difference is how diplomatic they are with the press.

I would be more concerned if Willis didn't think he was the best running back in league. Whether he is or not, is arguable, (and he's not, of course). But you surely want him thinking he is, as long as it doesn't make him think he can loaf and succeed.

I also don't think Willis packed it in last year until the team packed it in before him. It's not a great attitude and I am not happy about it at all, and wish he wouldn't do that. But at the same time, I am not worried at all if this team is any good that he is not going to be a very good to great back and try his ass off. I think he was simply not used to losing and got frustrated with the offense and coaching and the way he was being used and knew we weren't going anywhere. I also think a lot of his dancing was because he got an upwards of NO holes, and was just trying to make a play. It blew up in his face, of course, because he was constantly swarmed. But all hitting the hole at full speed would have done is made a 4th and 9 a 4th and 7. Or a 3rd and 11 a 3rd and 9 and not much else.

Never mind the absurdity of the cringe-worthy comments like claiming he was better than LT.  This guy never puts in the extra effort, doesn't seem to give a damn if we win or lose, and now decides he doesn't need to go to the last two voluntary camps, and is (maybe--but his "i thought the Bills played in NYC" comment gives one pause) one IQ point above Travis Henry.  I know what era we are in, but when a team  pays you first round money to  sit out your first year with your bum knee, you would hope that there would be more loyalty even in this day and age.  Also, did he seem slow last year? If and when the o-line situation is ever resolved I say we trade him for a more team-oriented guy.

Ok i feel better for venting.

685188[/snapback]

I think your right he does have a bad attitude. I don't think we can rely on him to be a major force on offense. He has talent but his ego is to big.