Gandy-Reyes-Fowler-Villarial-Peters

As of now, this is our best starting offensive line. I have severe doubts that Aaron Gibson will make the roster, and guys like Preston, Geisinger, McFarland, Bennie ( :angry: ), Jerman, and the 2 new guys are - in this stage of their careers - backups at best.

Your thoughts?

Here's mine: begins with a D and ends with a D, with two O's sandwiched in between and a ME added in to reflect that this is my own opinion :lol: .

But having said that, I knew Marv was left with too many roster holes and kind of figured that this year they'd focus on D. Hopefully the plan next year will be to land some day 1 OL talent plus a free agent star or 2. If not, time to rally the mob, fire up the burning tires, sharpen those pitchfork ends, and google Marv's home address... :lol:

I think its a weak group, but I also think this is a 2-3 year rebuilding effort. They're focusing on the D this year, and while I think the lack of a pass rusher from this draft will come back to bite us this upcoming season, I think they've made a significant upgrade on that side. Hopefully its enough to keep them in most of their games this season.

I think Fowler © and Reyes (LG) are upgrades from last year (Teague and Anderson were a major part of our problems).

Villarial is solid at RG, so the interior of our line is better.

Peters, with some more training, can only be better, compared to last year (but still a project of sorts).

Gandy.............well..............hopefully with a better LG next to him in Reyes, will be better.

Overall, the line is improved, but I would hesitate to call it a strength.

Mike

Peters, with some more training, can only be better, compared to last year (but still a project of sorts).

678796[/snapback]

Actually I am getting a little tired of hearing these type of comments about Peters.

Dude can play.

I am reffering to your project comment of course. He beat out MW last year! (maybe not saying much I know, but I'm just sayin)

Of course he will continue to learn, I think last year left no doubt that we can and should stop worrying about him.

This year I expect him to be a pretty nasty guy thta will be difficult to deal with from an opponents point of view.

Only improvement is Reyes over Anderson.

We needed oline to start building some continuity. Guys that we could have drafted this weekend would be strong starters in a couple years. We have delayed this process, which will only hurt in the near term.

The teams that have made the playoffs and won the Superbowl consistently featured strong offensive lines (Pittsburgh, Seattle, etc.) I do not understand why the Bills continue to sign cheap free agents and select late round picks to try to fill this critical need.

Except the Bills still list Reyes as third string behind Preston and Anderson as the starter. I don't see it.

I am not happy going into the season with a bunch of barely adequte starters. While everyone of them could start on some team in the NFL, the collective makes a very poor oline. We needed a couple of studs and to be honest Fowler maybe our best lineman, and that isn't good.

It's probably not going to happen...but it would be great if Aaron Gibson could add something.He was a pretty good player when healthy....healthy being the key word.

678797[/snapback]

Usually with someone with the potential that this guy had are given a second chance like this guy they have a chance to shine and Aaron might just be able to do it. I'm rooting for him.

Except the Bills still list Reyes as third string behind Preston and Anderson as the starter.  I don't see it. 

I am not happy going into the season with a bunch of barely adequte starters.  While everyone of them could start on some team in the NFL, the collective makes a very poor oline.  We needed a couple of studs and to be honest Fowler maybe our best lineman, and that isn't good.

678821[/snapback]

The depth chart is not reliable right now as it made no sense to update it prior to the draft.

It also made no sense to put Reyes down as anything but 3rd string LG as it was unclear whether the Bills might land a G in the draft like Spencer who would have likely competed for a starting job somewhere and it makes more sense to slate Reyes to compete for LG, back-up Villarial, or back-up Fowler.

It simply made no sense to signal determination about how he was going to be used or signal clearly the lack of confidence in Anderson until we saw how the draft went.

I think we will still go fishing in the remnants of the FA pool for OL help, but as it stands I think that Reyes and Anderson simply compete for the LG job and it will ve determined on the field of play rather than someone awarding the job based on mere opinion or assessment.

One of the biggest reasons that the OL sucked terribly last year was because Villarial was hurt/terrible. If he is semi-healthy, it will be a big upgrade. He may be getting to the point that his body breaks down but some of these old guards can last quite a while.

678834[/snapback]

Getting to? He is at that point where nicks he might have played through in the past cost him a game and a minor injury may be more severe, We gotta back him up and that back-up should expect to play.

I think the Bills feel that you can improve quicker with FA O-linemen.  Does anyone know any rumoured June 1 cap cuts?

The TD era should have demolished any illusions about building an offensive line through free agency. Look at the line TD handed Levy. LT: Gandy (free agent). LG: Anderson (free agent). C: Trey Teague (free agent). RG: Chris Villarrial (free agent). RT: Jason Peters (UDFA). Bear in mind that each of the four free agents that became Bills starters were considered some of the better available free agents when they were signed. Not necessarily cream of the crop guys a la LeCharles Bentley, but the next tier down. But there are a lot more teams looking to sign LeCharles Bentleys than there are LeCharles Bentleys to sign, so the quality of OL free agents we're used to is about what we could realistically expect for the future.

The depth chart is not reliable right now as it made no sense to update it prior to the draft.

It also made no sense to put Reyes down as anything but 3rd string LG as it was unclear whether the Bills might land a G in the draft like Spencer who would have likely competed for a starting job somewhere and it makes more sense to slate Reyes to compete for LG, back-up Villarial, or back-up Fowler.

It simply made no sense to signal determination about how he was going to be used or signal clearly the lack of confidence in Anderson until we saw how the draft went.

I think we will still go fishing in the remnants of the FA pool for OL help, but as it stands I think that Reyes and Anderson simply compete for the LG job and it will ve determined on the field of play rather than someone awarding the job based on mere opinion or assessment.

678840[/snapback]

I would agree, except they seemed to make a point of putting some of the new guys as starters. Bowens over Wire, Royals over every other TE, Tripplett, etc... In addition Reyes even said he would have to work hard to be the starter and may even get a shot at tackle. That to me says the Bills are not sold on him as starter.