Gandy-Reyes-Fowler-Villarial-Peters

The line could be better and it could be worse. Reyes and Fowler are upgrades at G and C from last year. Reyes played every game last year for a Carolina team that was very effective running and passing the ball. I think he will start at right guard where the talent level for the Bills last season was relatively skimpy. And on Jason Peters, dude can play. He shut down people last season on that side of the line and was far better than he who shall not be named ever was over there. Villarial's health will be a key, but if the Bills can keep him healthy the line will be better and that will make the team better. I say 8-8 this year, and maybe better if they can get some confidence in the beginning by winning some of those early conference games.

Go Sabres!!!!!

I think the Bills feel that you can improve quicker with FA O-linemen.  Does anyone know any rumoured June 1 cap cuts? 

PTR

678811[/snapback]

Nobody. No advantage to cutting players on June 1st any longer, NFLPA made sure to negotiate that out, it was bad for players. It's appropriate anyway, since it's been pretty much a non-date on the schedule for several years anyway. Next round of free agents.....camp cuts. Barring trades or bonus dodgers, once the UDFA's are in, what you see is what you get.

Only improvement is Reyes over Anderson.

We needed oline to start building some continuity.  Guys that we could have drafted this weekend would be strong starters in a couple years.  We have delayed this process, which will only hurt in the near term.

The teams that have made the playoffs and won the Superbowl consistently featured strong offensive lines (Pittsburgh, Seattle, etc.)  I do not understand why the Bills continue to sign cheap free agents and select late round picks to try to fill this critical need.

678808[/snapback]

Actuslly, I was impressed with Fowler when he hit the draft a few years ago and here good things about his play in place of an injured starter last year.

The word I hear is that he was available not because he was on his way out, but because the market was goimg to pay him starter center money and he was only gonna play back-up for the Vikes injured center and not start so away he went.

The market did not give him the big bucks that a fulltime center commanded because he was not fulltime, but he is a pretty good bet by past play and age to step up to this level.

He is not a sure thing and the Bills need a realistic Plan B (Preston impressed in spot duty last year and was an impressive C in college) but I do bit see how you do not view him as an upgarde over the backside of his career Teague.

I see Peters as an improvement over MW but again he is no sure thing since he also impressed but has not played a full season yet.

Gandy is the same (adequate but not a world-beater and I think our biggest problem at starter is that Villarial is unlikely to last all season and is the prime place I would look for an FA back-up.

At any rate, I see us with upgrades at 3 of 5 slots. Our biggest issue is lack of Plan Bs when folks like Villarial go down or someone fails, but though I do not see the remaining FAs at OL (folks like Backus, Neal, Raymer. etc. being adeqaute starters I think we can find an adequate back-up there.

In fact unless the draft delivered us a D'Brick or we stupidly rolled the dice on Justice I think that the remaining FAs (though not starters) are far more llikely OL contributors than this draft could have produced.

We need work certainly, but this starter crew actually strikes me as exceedinf in skill level the NYG crew led by former Bills Glenn Parjer and Dusty Ziegler whom JMaccoached to an SN.

Its not solved at all but not impossible at all either.

Nobody.  No advantage to cutting players on June 1st any longer, NFLPA made sure to negotiate that out, it was bad for players.  It's appropriate anyway, since it's been pretty much a non-date on the schedule for several years anyway.  Next round of free agents.....camp cuts.  Barring trades or bonus dodgers, once the UDFA's are in, what you see is what you get.

678888[/snapback]

There are however, some leftover agreements negotiated into contracts which give roster bonuses to players prior to camp beginning or prior to the season beginning and some of these roster bonuses occuring post draft may well result in some cuts.

June 1 is nothing like it used to be, but there will be some players who are suddenly on the market in the manner Lawyer Milloy became available at the final hour.

As of now, this is our best starting offensive line. I have severe doubts that Aaron Gibson will make the roster, and guys like Preston, Geisinger, McFarland, Bennie ( :angry: ), Jerman, and the 2 new guys are - in this stage of their careers - backups at best.

Your thoughts?

Here's mine: begins with a D and ends with a D, with two O's sandwiched in between and a ME added in to reflect that this is my own opinion  :lol: .

But having said that, I knew Marv was left with too many roster holes and kind of figured that this year they'd focus on D. Hopefully the plan next year will be to land some day 1 OL talent plus a free agent star or 2. If not, time to rally the mob, fire up the burning tires, sharpen those pitchfork ends, and google Marv's home address... :lol:

678783[/snapback]

I think are starters are average to below average at best and our depth is even weaker. While I liked the guys we took on D this weekend I think every pick on the O-line was horrible, as they all seem to be big guys and nothing more.

I think the entire group is below average. I hope Fowler is an upgrade, but I am not convinced that Teague was the weak link on the oline. I think Gandy would be an excellent back-up, but should not be starting. I like Peters and hope that he continues to improve, but after M. Williams went out of the line-up, our rushing attack suffered.

Our back-ups are poor, although there is always hope for Preston and our current draft picks.

As of now, this is our best starting offensive line. I have severe doubts that Aaron Gibson will make the roster, and guys like Preston, Geisinger, McFarland, Bennie ( :angry: ), Jerman, and the 2 new guys are - in this stage of their careers - backups at best.

Your thoughts?

Here's mine: begins with a D and ends with a D, with two O's sandwiched in between and a ME added in to reflect that this is my own opinion  :lol: .

But having said that, I knew Marv was left with too many roster holes and kind of figured that this year they'd focus on D. Hopefully the plan next year will be to land some day 1 OL talent plus a free agent star or 2. If not, time to rally the mob, fire up the burning tires, sharpen those pitchfork ends, and google Marv's home address... :lol:

678783[/snapback]

I think you're going to be incorrect about Aaron Gibson. I think he'll be ok and will make the team and will provide some depth. But yes, fro the most part this line is the same as it was last year. At least we have guys that will provide competition.

I think you're going to be incorrect about Aaron Gibson.  I think he'll be ok and will make the team and will provide some depth.  But yes, fro the most part this line is the same as it was last year.  At least we have guys that will provide competition.

678903[/snapback]

A HEALTHY Gibson...could help immensely.I think people forget he was not some bum.Injuries were his downfall...like the above poster said and one earlier...i'm rooting for him. :lol:

Nobody.  No advantage to cutting players on June 1st any longer, NFLPA made sure to negotiate that out, it was bad for players.  It's appropriate anyway, since it's been pretty much a non-date on the schedule for several years anyway.  Next round of free agents.....camp cuts.  Barring trades or bonus dodgers, once the UDFA's are in, what you see is what you get.

678888[/snapback]

not true.

Players cut after June 1 still have their unamortized signing bonus deferred to next year.

The only change is that teams can now elect to apply the rule to 2 players that are cut before June 1.

The OL production will be much better because our OC will actually try to run outside the tacklers, instead of totally ignoring everything but up the middle.

Bills will do much more pulling and trapping. Bennie will be watching from the bench.

I was just thinking... One thing the starters on the oline didn't have last year that they will have this year is....... Are you ready.......

COMPETITION in camp. That will make the line alot better. I'm really not worried. :lol: