Bills sign OG Tutan Reyes

I hope the talk about the OG need being filled is just more smokescreen.  Joseph has the potential to be much more than adequate, IMO, which is all Reyes will ever be. 

Tomorrow's gonna'  be really interesting as we'll finally get to see what Marv's  plan for re-structuring the team is.  I hope it involves building a solid base of linemen in the first three rounds.

672777[/snapback]

True, but you really do have to take the best player and just not go for position. I expect several linemen. I hope for it. They better get at least two. But if there is a good CB or safety and Joseph or the top OGs and DTs are gone, it starts to become a difficult choice.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the game of football, every level, but the skills of NFL players and coaches are without peer.  I think Fairchild has a workable offensive plan, and it's only limited by the amount of O-line talent we go to war with and McNally's coaching. 

A wider style will benefit our QB (especially Losman),

672576[/snapback]

I'm also excited about what Fairchild brings to the offensive coordinator position. I liked what I saw of his coaching the few times I watched the Rams play. I think you're baiting me a little with that Losman reference. Well, I'll play nice: if Losman proves to be as accurate, as quick at making decisions, and as good at reading the field as his competition, his mobility will put him over the top.

But getting back to the rest of your post: I agree Ralph has sometimes hindered this team. A few weeks back, we missed out on Jim Bates as our defensive coordinator because Ralph wouldn't pay him. He has been pretty good about paying for players though.

I'm also excited about what Fairchild brings to the offensive coordinator position.  I liked what I saw of his coaching the few times I watched the Rams play.  I think you're baiting me a little with that Losman reference.  Well, I'll play nice: if Losman proves to be as accurate, as quick at making decisions, and as good at reading the field as his competition, his mobility will put him over the top. 

672802[/snapback]

I think even you won't complain if Losman is named the starter if he wins it in a fair competion during Training camp

I think Fairchild is going to bring in an exciting offence to this years team (as long as the line has improved to the point that our QB's have time to make plays) and finally we won't be affraid every down that we will see a quadruple reverse flea flicker into a hail marry statue of Liberty play being called on a third and 2 with our best back sitting on the bench

Wow, almost 2 opposite opinions, One board seems to think he is not bad (the first one) and is a decent starter, the other one makes it sound like we just signed Bennie Anderson #2.

He seems to be rated pretty good by some reliable Talking heads so I will take their word for now over some arm chair GM's/Sports Experts from Carolina

672860[/snapback]

Think if some other team's fan was foolish enough to try and come on here looking for a realistic opinion on a player from the Aristocrats.

one always has to wonder why a good team didn't pursue one of their starters at all. dare i say it, but carolina has some very good personnel evaluation people. as for the quality of the panthers offensive line last year, well, it seems to me that baltimore was pretty successful running the ball with bennie anderson manning the left guard spot.

i may well be wrong (and i certainly hope i am), but i suspect that reyes is another in a long line of midcareer guard stiffs signed by the bills. villarreal is the partial exception, given that he played reasonably well in 04 (except for the fact that his 4th quarter holding call cost the bills the jags game).

And while there were mixed reactions to your opinion, I don't think I saw anyone call you an idiot.

For the record: Stadium Wall - Terms of Service

"Courtesy is contagious - Just become someone doesn't share your opinion - doesn't make them an idiot. It is ok to cheer for other players or to wear the jersey number of your choice. "

Thank you, and have a nice day.

672453[/snapback]

True. I took it too far. I suck and apologize.

I think it's important to keep something in mind here:

THIS COACHING STAFF THINKS REYES IS BETTER THAN BENNIE

If it didn't, they wouldn't have signed him.

That doesn't mean they won't draft a guard or two - I expect that they will. All it means is Bennie is gone, and, assuming the Bills' coaches and personnel department are better at evaluating talent than this Board, they've upgraded their line.

one always has to wonder why a good team didn't pursue one of their starters at all.  dare i say it, but carolina has some very good personnel evaluation people.  as for the quality of the panthers offensive line last year, well, it seems to me that baltimore was pretty successful running the ball with bennie anderson manning the left guard spot. 

i may well be wrong (and i certainly hope i am), but i suspect that reyes is another in a long line of midcareer guard stiffs signed by the bills.  villarreal is the partial exception, given that he played reasonably well in 04 (except for the fact that his 4th quarter holding call cost the bills the jags game).

672888[/snapback]

Dave,

You make a good point, though your message reminded me of the general problem with all of our O-line discussions here. Where exactly do good O-lines come from? They do not drop from heaven; they do not come solely from first-round draft choices; nor do they come from a mindless fixation on huge bodies. They come from a combination of draftees, street free agents, high profile UFAs, RFAs, and other teams' castoffs, mixed in with good coaching and good luck. That has always been true, and yet, again and again in the conversations here (not aimed at you specifically), people speak as though there is one golden path to a good O-line that the Bills have been either too stupid or too evil to choose. It drives me nuts. The Bills O-line has been a team weakness for years, yes. One can say that it has been on the decline since 1993, the time at which the particular combination of cast-offs, low-level and high level draft picks, and free agents that had played well together for several years began to leave. But that does not mean that nothing has been done since then. All it means is that what has been done (which has included, yes, signing free agents, making draft picks, scouring the unemployment line, etc.) has not yet worked. Reyes and Fowler and the 2006 draft class might not work either. There is no magic potion. I'm glad they signed Reyes, and will be curious to see if he works out. If he does not, I will be disappointed with the rest of TSW, but I hope the future discussions of the question will be more grounded in actual experience....

Go Bills!

This gives us another option and could possibly light a fire under Bennie's butt.  I like it.

672999[/snapback]

"One dark night, when people were in bed,

Mrs. O'Leary lit a lantern in her shed,

The cow kicked it over, winked it's eye, and said

There'll be a hot time in the old town tonight."

Dave,

You make a good point, though your message reminded me of the general problem with all of our O-line discussions here. Where exactly do good O-lines come from? They do not drop from heaven; they do not come solely from first-round draft choices; nor do they come from a mindless fixation on huge bodies. They come from a combination of draftees, street free agents, high profile UFAs, RFAs, and other teams' castoffs, mixed in with good coaching and good luck. That has always been true, and yet, again and again in the conversations here (not aimed at you specifically), people speak as though there is one golden path to a good O-line that the Bills have been either too stupid or too evil to choose. It drives me nuts. The Bills O-line has been a team weakness for years, yes. One can say that it has been on the decline since 1993, the time at which the particular combination of cast-offs, low-level and high level draft picks, and free agents that had played well together for several years began to leave. But that does not mean that nothing has been done since then. All it means is that what has been done (which has included, yes, signing free agents, making draft picks, scouring the unemployment line, etc.) has not yet worked. Reyes and Fowler and the 2006 draft class might not work either. There is no magic potion. I'm glad they signed Reyes, and will be curious to see if he works out. If he does not, I will be disappointed with the rest of TSW, but I hope the future discussions of the question will be more grounded in actual experience....

Go Bills!

672969[/snapback]

i'm not so down, actually. he's supposed to be better in pass protection than run blocking, which is actually a good thing given the woeful pass protection the bills have gotten over the years from the LG spot.

I think it's important to keep something in mind here:

THIS COACHING STAFF THINKS REYES IS BETTER THAN BENNIE

If it didn't, they wouldn't have signed him.

That doesn't mean they won't draft a guard or two - I expect that they will.  All it means is Bennie is gone, and, assuming the Bills' coaches and personnel department are better at evaluating talent than this Board, they've upgraded their line.

672936[/snapback]

I am sorry, but I didn't see that press conference , where they said Anderson was worse. In fact what I heard was Reyes said he was not the starter but would have a chance to try to become one, and that the Bills would like him to compete for the LG position.

Usually when a "big" FA is signed they are pretty much told it is their job. The Bills depth chart and everything being said, means Reyes is a backup.

Oh and just to add on, the rumor is they really want him to push for RT and be the starter there. What's that tell you about Peters?

Thanks Oz. I would love to talk to you some more, but I am going to go quiver in the corner, like a ridiculous TSW pu$$y.

672672[/snapback]

Also like Fina, Fat Mike, Pucillo, Teague and so many other Bills OL players after a tough game. :lol: Not Ostroski though, he did royally suck, but at least he knew how to take a beating. ;)

You may not get a 1st-round OL player, but here's to Uncle Marv giving JMac at least 2 Day 1 toys to play with. :D