Anti-Snyder letter in today's Washington Post

Linky

Greed of the Burgundy and Gold

Thursday, April 13, 2006; Page A20

When the Washington Redskins kick off against the Minnesota Vikings on Monday Night Football, it will mark the first time in 40 years that neither my father nor I will be in the stands. Redskins season tickets have been in my family since the 1960s, but as a single parent and a teacher, I can no longer afford them.

When my father passed the tickets to me in 1997, the season tickets cost $440. The bill for this year: $2,100.

The upper deck used to be called the cheap seats. Now it's just the upper deck. My reward for supporting the team through the Norv Turner era, the Marty Schottenheimer year and the glory of Steve Spurrier is to be priced out of my seats. And my understanding is that the Redskins were the most profitable franchise in the NFL before this increase.

At RFK Stadium I sat next to the same people for 30 years. I knew them and their kids by their first names. Yet so many tickets are scalped now that any sense of community is gone. The high cost of tickets necessitates people selling some of theirs off.

Shouldn't the owner of the most profitable team in the NFL focus on creating a winning environment? How about showing some love for what he calls "the most loyal and dedicated fans in all of sports"?

From obstructed-view seats, to denying pedestrian access to the stadium, to $35 parking and $8 beer, to charging admission to view practice, to trying to restrict season-ticket purchases to a Redskins credit card, Daniel Snyder seems intent on bleeding the cash cow dry. Redskins fans have always been loyal and dedicated. It's too bad the same cannot be said of the team owner.

I may bleed burgundy, but I'm afraid I'm bled out. I wish the Redskins had an owner who cared more about the burgundy and gold and less about the green.

STEVE RAGSDALE

Bethesda

Wow...trying to restrict season ticket sales to a Redskins credit card? And I thought they couldn't get much worse than charging for watching training camp.

Hey the bills owner is much more fan friendly but the bills are expected to lose money this season. Maybe if Ralph adopted some of Snyders tacticts the bills would be able to be profitable even in WNY.

661124[/snapback]

There wouldnt be anybody attending those games at thst type of price increase. Snyder is the new breed that we definetely do not need in this sport.

Hey the bills owner is much more fan friendly but the bills are expected to lose money this season. Maybe if Ralph adopted some of Snyders tacticts the bills would be able to be profitable even in WNY.

661124[/snapback]

Those tactics wouldn't work in WNY. Do you really think there is that much money in the Buffalo area that Ralph could risk ostracizing the average fan?

The average fan is the entire fan base in Buffalo. If Ralph adopted these methods the team would be moving that much faster.

ding ding ding! we have a winner

this is a very true statement, especially in these parts

661123[/snapback]

This is DC you're talking about here: they might as well put Jack Abramoff on the Redskin's helmet.

Lobbyists know no bounds when it comes to ticket price. You think the average Joe, the guy that works the ticket booth at the Smithsonian, can afford to go to Redskins games?

I don't like to say I told you so, but just like I said yesterday, the guy is an idiot. Want to know who is filling the stadium for the skins? It's now a game of prestige

he who has to most money gets to go to the games. No "REAL" fans can afford to go, just the DC power hungry jerks. They couldn't tell you the difference between a "hash mark" and a "hash pipe."

I can only hope the Skins pull together another losing record, but then I wonder if Snyder writes that off on his taxes as well.

That's a shame!

I lived up there 1970-1978 when Vince Lombardi and George Allen were coaches and they played at RFK. As you point out season tickets were passed down within families. The stadium was sold out for the whole season, which made it good for TV considering no cable and certainly no DTV.

Unfortunately, the people who make the laws and grant the anti-trust exemptions can go whenever they want, with the best seats, so they don't care about you the ordinary fan.

Lobbyists, judges, generals etc. rule and they're not even spending their own money most of the time. To spend the kind of money you're talking about is impossible for most people. The entertainment value in no way justifies the price of the ticket. Very sad!

Snyder is an !@#$, plain and simple. Whether the Bills are getting screwed or not, just be thankful that we aren't the Redskins fans.

Going to a Redskins game is like going to the mall and sitting around with people in khaki pants and sweaters. The atmosphere there is gone.

And while it's not tapped out yet, because that economic base is going strong......a buddy of mine who works for the Nationals was on the Skins season ticket waiting list. I think he told me he was like number 13,000 or so three years ago. Well, they just called him this season, and offered him up tickets. So, to be that far down, but land a pair only three seasons later means that tons of morons in DC have been giving up their tickets. And this coming off of a year where the Skins went to the playoffs.

13,000 spots in three years is a lot.

Snyder is pricing the average fan out of being a season ticket holder.  Glad to see that Washington fans have some gripes too. 

You can call Ralph cheap, but the average fan in Buffalo can still afford season tickets and not just nose bleed tickets.

661242[/snapback]

So can the average Washington fan. You're talking about a city where 350 sq. ft. studio condos hit the market at $650k and sell in three days. (Not even exaggerating...my wife does the closings for those types of properties).

Snyder's pricing the average Buffalo fan out of Redskins season tickets. The average Skins fan is a completely different story.

I don't like to say I told you so, but just like I said yesterday, the guy is an idiot.  Want to know who is filling the stadium for the skins?  It's now a game of prestige

he who has to most money gets to go to the games.  No "REAL" fans can afford to go, just the DC power hungry jerks.  They couldn't tell you the difference between a  "hash mark" and a "hash pipe."

661309[/snapback]

This sounds a lot like a Super Bowl crowd...

This sounds a lot like a Super Bowl crowd...

661705[/snapback]

Exactly. That's apparently the future Snyder and his ilk want to see -- the rich and famous going to games to "be seen", while Joe Average Fan sits at home watching the games on TV.

That's a future I don't want to be a part of.

Everyone is pointing the fingers at small market teams not carrying their weight...

But the truth is that these billionaires and their billion dollar egos got them to OVER PAY for their franchises. Now the big market teams expect everyone else to change thier business model so their investments can profit.

We all should be telling hte Jones' and Snyders' that you overpaid, that's your problem, good luck with that.

Instead they are tyring to drive out the blue collar fan and make football a sport that only the welathy will eb allowed to enjoy.

We see the same mentality in everyday America. Take care of the welathy and sacrifice whoever you need to make that happen.

We're overdue for a major change in our society, and the latest moentary issues in football are demonstating how uncaring the wealthy are to the needs of those who really don't strive ot be millionaires, don't care about massive wealth, and just want to enjoy and afford our weekly endulgance in a sport we love

I think that the NFL should let the Snyder's and Jone's spend all that they want. Let them spend hundreds of millions of dollars. After a few years when they have no money left maybe they will sell the teams to a person who cares about the game and the fans. So far the only one to make anything was Jones and that was because of all the talent he got in the draft. Free agency wise all he knows about football is how to write a check.

I heard the same thing is happening in Pittsburgh as well. The average fan is being priced out of the game. Does the NFL want every game to be like the Super Bowl where only the privliged members of corporate America get to attend? Seems like it to me.

How many people would buy Bills season tickets if the cheap seats were $210 per ticket, per game and the only way to buy them would be to use a Bills Credit Card? How many people would buy 1 ticket to one game? Not very many. There would be 70,000 empty seats per game.

Exactly. That's apparently the future Snyder and his ilk want to see -- the rich and famous going to games to "be seen", while Joe Average Fan sits at home watching the games on TV.

That's a future I don't want to be a part of.

661757[/snapback]

I'm happy watching the game on DirecTV. I can have ice cold beer available for $11 per 12 pack, no lines at the bathroom or snack bar. Parking is free and no obnoxious fans jeering at me.

I like to be at the occasional game because the atmosphere is so much different, but it is way more comfortable at home.

I think that the NFL should let the Snyder's and Jone's spend all that they want.  Let them spend hundreds of millions of dollars.  After a few years when they have no money left maybe they will sell the teams to a person who cares about the game and the fans.  So far the only one to make anything was Jones and that was because of all the talent he got in the draft.  Free agency wise all he knows about football is how to write a check.

661788[/snapback]

The problem is, that after a few years they won't be out of money. They'll have more of it. And it is this insatiable greed, thriving on the success of the game that is "setting the bar" as per the new CBA.

The golden goose is going the way of the Dodo.

I will always have College football. If the Bills move, the NFL is dead to me.

661773[/snapback]

I love college football. The kids are very competitive and play for the love of the game. Now if they can just fix that damn bowl system.

So can the average Washington fan.  You're talking about a city where 350 sq. ft. studio condos hit the market at $650k and sell in three days.  (Not even exaggerating...

Snyder's pricing the average Buffalo fan out of Redskins season tickets.  The average Skins fan is a completely different story.

661677[/snapback]

Ahh, yeh you are exaggerating, but thats another topic(show me one property going for north of $2000/sf). While I agree "average" fans may be priced out, what is an "average fan". Does it mean people with $250k in income are not "average fans'.That they can't have a passion for football and his team as much as the guy making $50K. And let me tell ya, that income level is pretty squarely middle class in the DC metro area.

Listen, our gripe should not be what ole Danny boy can charge his customers. Thats simply a matter of supply and demand. As for that matter, the letter writer a rock head for not buying his seasons and his parking passes, and either selling them all for a nice tidy profit, or selling half which would let him go the other games pretty much for free. Having a couple of friends long time season ticket holders who do exactly that. Maybe thats why the guy has no money, he has a license to print it, and he won't take it.

Our gripe needs to be how that money gets shared in the revunue sharing

process. The problem is all of that money now gets counted in % to players, which will drive Ralphs expenses up.As I but in a post the other day, if it drives Ralphs expences up $10M, and he is not exploring all revunue opportunities(dead horse, but stadium naming rights as an ex.) my sympathies for him are somewhat limited

Ahh, yeh you are exaggerating, but thats another topic(show me one property going for north of $2000/sf).

661909[/snapback]

When I worked in NYC 4 years ago, my boss had just bought a 360 sq.ft. apartment for $660,000. (At least that's what he told me.) He was quite pleased with the "find".

Now, I know it's not DC; but, I've always heard that DC and Manhattan real estate were on par with one another. So he may not be exaggerating as much as we may think.

When I worked in NYC 4 years ago, my boss had just bought a 360 sq.ft. apartment for $660,000.  (At least that's what he told me.)  He was quite pleased with the "find". 

Now, I know it's not DC; but, I've always heard that DC and Manhattan real estate were on par with one another.  So he may not be exaggerating as much as we may think.

662106[/snapback]

The Gallery Place condo development was what I was specifically thinking of, if anyone cares to try to look up the sales prices. Condo fees alone in that building are north of $1000/month.

I'm getting really close to the end of my football fandom. There are better things to do in life than spending all of your time, effort, and money on a league that does not care about anything except getting more money out of you. If the NFL had anything resebling a soul it would be as black as can be.

NFL = 1 big marketing gimmick.

The Gallery Place condo development was what I was specifically thinking of, if anyone cares to try to look up the sales prices.  Condo fees alone in that building are north of $1000/month.

662111[/snapback]

I wouldn't doubt it at all. I have a friend that's considering moving to DC and they're looking at a Condo for over $2000 per month. I have no idea where it is or the size. But, I couldn't imagine moving there with those prices.

I wouldn't doubt it at all.  I have a friend that's considering moving to DC and they're looking at a Condo for over $2000 per month.  I have no idea where it is or the size.  But, I couldn't imagine moving there with those prices.

662116[/snapback]

That's actually below average.