WOW - WGR55 sucks ass in the AM

Lv-Bills

Look, I'm as happy as anyone that WGR is streaming. But seriously, Howard Simon and Jeremy White are fuggin BRUUUUUUUUUUUUTAL.

I was so excited about getting to listen this morning. Do they even get anyone to call? I mean, they took one caller in the last hour. I mean, seriously, they have talked about NOTHING.

We'll have to see what's on tonight, but my god, these two guys are pretty much worthless. It's like they don't even prepare. They just shoot at the hip and their thoughts are all scattered.

I understand they have the market cornered up there, but that doesn't make them any good.

UGH. What a letdown today. And this, from me, who isn't usually a WGR basher. I love Bills pre and post game stuff when I come up for games. But seriously, living in Virginia, I was so excited, and this is just pure garbage.

UGH.  What a letdown today.  And this, from me, who isn't usually a WGR basher.  I love Bills pre and post game stuff when I come up for games.  But seriously, living in Virginia, I was so excited, and this is just pure garbage.

635933[/snapback]

Welcome to bad local morning radio. It is a format that is sweeping the nation!

You need to seriously lower your expectations, and be prepared to hear more Coverall franchise commercials than sports talk. When you do hear the rare sports talk, do not expect it to be intelligent - and expect the hosts to be loud-mouthed, rude, and belligerent most of the time. OTOH, if you enjoy listening to senseless blather about nachos, date movies, rock 'n' roll songs, etc., WGR5550 is the place! It has been long-deleted from my car pre-set buttons.

Don't hold your breath for the afternoon either....You'll get to hear Schopp talk about a sweater he got for Christmas 7 years ago and how Bulldog thinks that Cats are overrated

635950[/snapback]

That's what I was gonna ask next....does it even get any better in the PM? Is Brad Riter any good? I mean, my god, our radio guys in Richmond are better, and we don't have any pro sports around, outside what is in DC.

These two clowns are unreal in the morning.

Again, what a letdown. And they rushed the last Bills caller off the air, to talk about downtown parking.

Yeah, this is great stuff. Unreal.

While all the above points are true you do have to understand that morning radio tends to be more blather/skits than calls. Even WNSA's morning shows were that way...about one call an hour on a sports-related topic...it is apparently the "formula" in the morning...

While all the above points are true you do have to understand that morning radio tends to be more blather/skits than calls.  Even WNSA's morning shows were that way...about one call an hour on a sports-related topic...it is apparently the "formula" in the morning...

635954[/snapback]

I hear you on that stuff too. However, these guys aren't even good at that. I didn't laugh once today. I mean, seriously.....from what I heard this morning, it's just garbage.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal today. Still glad it's streaming, but they are seriously bad.

I hear you on that stuff too.  However, these guys aren't even good at that.  I didn't laugh once today.  I mean, seriously.....from what I heard this morning, it's just garbage.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal today.  Still glad it's streaming, but they are seriously bad.

635960[/snapback]

I think a lot of this kind of crap "humour" is the unfortunate result of "Seinfeld". The hosts seem to think it is hilarious to talk about "nothing" and to obsess over small minutia (sp?) that really isn't very funny. What they miss, that "Seinfeld" got, was that it has to be funny. Being neurotic, particularly when it is faked, is rarely funny, but more often just irritating....I am glad they are streaming too, but I think I will just tune in when there is actually some Buffalo sports "news".

I do have to give Riter some credit at night though....I think he's always been pretty decent at talking on topic and not trying to prove how witty he is all the time

635991[/snapback]

He seems the least annoying - the few times I've tuned in. The earlier shows just make me turn my dial as far from the left as possible.

I do have to give Riter some credit at night though....I think he's always been pretty decent at talking on topic and not trying to prove how witty he is all the time

635991[/snapback]

riter's show has always made me laugh my ass off.

he is also a pretty honest fan IMO, he was always with beldsoe as a QB, gregg williams as a HC for a lot longer than most fans were. instead of just saying we suck, ditch them all i think he is an at least realistic

i liked the coach too, but not his whole show, it got too tiring. i liked it when he gave his insights, which is what he does on the riter show.

that is good local radio right there

635991[/snapback]

Riter is the best of the bunch. They have him doing the Sabres postgame shows now and he's quite good at it.

Some days are bad and I think you might have caught them on an off-day. If there isn't lots of Bills news or a Sabres game to talk about...well.......there isn't much to talk about. Seriously, the spring usually sucks for sports-talk in Buffalo.

636015[/snapback]

Geez, the Sabres just came off a big game this weekend, and are in the hunt for top spot in the East. There should be a lot of hockey to talk about. There's another big Sabre game tonight. Yet GR doesn't give the Sabres enough talk time, and they even carry the games. Few fans seem to call about the Sabres either.

Don't hold your breath for the afternoon either....You'll get to hear Schopp talk about a sweater he got for Christmas 7 years ago and how Bulldog thinks that Cats are overrated

635950[/snapback]

I never listen to the Bulldog and his incredibly irritating voice and style when I'm on the Skyway, otherwise I may be tempted to make a hard right turn

Geez, the Sabres just came off a big game this weekend, and are in the hunt for top spot in the East.  There should be a lot of hockey to talk about.  There's another big Sabre game tonight.  Yet GR doesn't give the Sabres enough talk time, and they even carry the games.  Few fans seem to call about the Sabres either.

636031[/snapback]

They spent most of the time I listened driving in talking Sabres....I didn't listen the whole drive but I heard two full segments on it...

Give them a chance, tomorrow, Lindy Ruff is on at 8:00 am , the following day Danny Gare is on at 8:00 am and is every week. The station does have a good working relationship with the Sabres wgr the game broadcaster, and they do have the players on frequently and many very good forthcoming interviews. The station has its ups and downs but they are working on it.

The strength of local radio can be it gives young on air people a chance to learn and grow. Frankly Brad is a good example of this , as he gets more experience he is becoming a much better talk show host and radio person. The station in my opinion is much like people , sometimes they have their good days and sometimes they suck.

But its still nice to hear Buffalo folk talk Buffalo issues.

I have to agree 100% with this thread. I was excited as well to listen this morning and was VERY disappointed. I thought I would be able to gain some insight into Craig Nall, who the Bills signed over the weekend. The only thing they said about the guy was that they didn't like to move and thought JP should get a fair shake. For the other 1 hour and 55 minutes I listened, they talked about NOTHING. It was indeed BRUUUUUUUUUUUTAL. I used to listen to Howard over the net all the time when Empire streamed. Maybe I caught him on a bad morning but he was a shadow of his former self. WTF. Oh well, hopefull the afternoon guys will actually talk about something.

I have to agree 100% with this thread. I was excited as well to listen this morning and was VERY disappointed. I thought I would be able to gain some insight into Craig Nall, who the Bills signed over the weekend. The only thing they said about the guy was that they didn't like to move and thought JP should get a fair shake. For the other 1 hour and 55 minutes I listened, they talked about NOTHING. It was indeed BRUUUUUUUUUUUTAL. I used to listen to Howard over the net all the time when Empire streamed. Maybe I caught him on a bad morning but he was a shadow of his former self. WTF. Oh well, hopefull the afternoon guys will actually talk about something.

636082[/snapback]

You caught the WGR version of Howard Simon. It sucks, doesnt it. ;)

Welcome to bad local morning radio.  It is a format that is sweeping the nation!

635945[/snapback]

I was listening to Howard this morning and laughing my ass off. It was Stern on Sirius though. C'mon man, you get what you pay for with this terrestrial radio stuff. I'll be tuning into NFL Radio this PM to get some real insight into Nall - good luck with WGR. ;)

All my sentiments have been spoken exactly

-Howards Simon great with WNSA, now he just sucks. Jeremy White needs his head cut off.

-Brad Riter is the only guy worth tuning in for on that whole station.

-The morning and afternoon shows talk about TV shows more than they do sports.

All my sentiments have been spoken exactly

-Howards Simon great with WNSA, now he just sucks. Jeremy White needs his head cut off.-Brad Riter is the only guy worth tuning in for on that whole station.

-The morning and afternoon shows talk about TV shows more than they do sports.

636240[/snapback]

Nice...

Very Nice.

Nice...

Very Nice.

636408[/snapback]

If you want to hear Bills News on the Radio that doesn't suck, check out the station that carry the Buffalo Bills Game Broadcasts www.97rock.com and www.wedg.com. Both stations are also streaming. The reason WGR is so anti Bills is because they don't have the rights to broadcast the games and player/coach shows. They do broadcast Sabres games, so you can expect to hear much Sabres love.

If you want to hear Bills News on the Radio that doesn't suck, check out the station that carry the Buffalo Bills Game Broadcasts www.97rock.com and www.wedg.com.  Both stations are also streaming.  The reason WGR is so anti Bills is because they don't have the rights to broadcast the games and player/coach shows.  They do broadcast Sabres games, so you can expect to hear much Sabres love.

636772[/snapback]

Ummmmm maybe that has something to do with the Sabres having their best season ever and the Bills being in the toliet for the past decade.

If you want to hear Bills News on the Radio that doesn't suck, check out the station that carry the Buffalo Bills Game Broadcasts www.97rock.com and www.wedg.com.  Both stations are also streaming.  The reason WGR is so anti Bills is because they don't have the rights to broadcast the games and player/coach shows.  They do broadcast Sabres games, so you can expect to hear much Sabres love.

636772[/snapback]

It has nothing to do with anti-Bills stuff. Simply put, the guys in the AM were friggin horrible. Seriously, coming off of a weekend too, they barely even talked sports today. I thought Schopp and the Bulldog were pretty decent this afternoon, but I can say this......if I was the station manager, and I heard the crap coming from my radio station that came through this morning, there would be two guys fired real quick.

I heard two callers in an hour. One from Virginia, and one from Atlanta. They hurried the guy from Atlanta so they could talk about downtown parking. Unreal, especially for a Monday.

I don't even care if they are anti-Bills. I'm not looking for company line, Bills Digest type crap either. Just some well informed local talk of my favorite NFL team would be nice. Hell, any kind of sports talk would have been nice this morning.

636772[/snapback]

97 Rock has Bills programming during the offseason? News to me.

just wait, you haven't heard jerry sullivan yet!

i like brad -- he and jeremy used to have good chemistry when they were on together. But he is doing a nice job himself. Schoop or the Bulldog is better than Schoop AND the Bulldog. They talk a lot of nonsense when on together.

The AM show is pop radio....they do as much sports on shred and regan!

I got me sirius, on my AM commute i listen back and forth from howard & WGR. I agree, some of the howard simon shows are awful.

just wait, you haven't heard jerry sullivan yet! 

i like brad -- he and jeremy used to have good chemistry when they were on together.  But he is doing a nice job himself.  Schoop or the Bulldog is better than Schoop AND the Bulldog.  They talk a lot of nonsense when on together.

The AM show is pop radio....they do as much sports on shred and regan!

I got me sirius, on my AM commute i listen back and forth from howard & WGR.  I agree, some of the howard simon shows are awful.

636823[/snapback]

Sully was on this AM, talking college hoops for the three minutes or so I was in the car. Beats the last Bills pregame I heard with him -- weather was nasty and Riter was late getting there, so JS was holding down the fort by himself. And discussing whether or not he was supposed to wear regular underwear under his longjohns. Thanks, Jerry, but there are some things I'd rather NOT know. Really.

:lol:

It has nothing to do with anti-Bills stuff.  Simply put, the guys in the AM were friggin horrible.  Seriously, coming off of a weekend too, they barely even talked sports today.  I thought Schopp and the Bulldog were pretty decent this afternoon, but I can say this......if I was the station manager, and I heard the crap coming from my radio station that came through this morning, there would be two guys fired real quick. 

I heard two callers in an hour.  One from Virginia, and one from Atlanta.  They hurried the guy from Atlanta so they could talk about downtown parking.  Unreal, especially for a Monday. 

I don't even care if they are anti-Bills.  I'm not looking for company line, Bills Digest type crap either.  Just some well informed local talk of my favorite NFL team would be nice.  Hell, any kind of sports talk would have been nice this morning.

636807[/snapback]

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am no WGR fan. But they have treated the Bills with kid gloves this offseason.

What do you expect from them? To get all fired up about signing a bunch of third stringers? Should they do an hour on the Bills latest signing? The Packers #3 QB?

Jesus. You people are unfriggin real. GR has been more then fair. Don't get mad at them. Get mad at the Bills for not giving them anything to talk about.

The people who say that Bills fans are some of the smartest and best in football I will guess don't read these posts. :lol:

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am no WGR fan. But they have treated the Bills with kid gloves this offseason.

What do you expect from them? To get all fired up about signing a bunch of third stringers? Should they do an hour on the Bills latest signing? The Packers #3 QB?

Jesus. You people are unfriggin real. GR has been more then fair. Don't get mad at them. Get mad at the Bills for not giving them anything to talk about.

The people who say that Bills fans are some of the smartest and best in football I will guess don't read these posts.  :devil:

636879[/snapback]

Oh gimmie a break. Again, just so you can try to comprehend. Just so you can't spin this so that you can try and sound important.

I THOUGHT THE SHOW SUCKED................PERIOD. It has nothing to do with the Bills. Seriously, is this Howard Simon or something?

We have two all-sports talk radio stations in Richmond, VA. In a town with ZERO major league sports teams. One homer in the AM who is pretty awful. And two competing guys in the 3-7 PM time slot. One who actually worked for WGR two years ago.

As far as sports information goes, the two guys in Richmond blew away GR today. That isn't saying much. But at least the guys throw out daily topics and try to get discussion on something. Don't know if it's like that all the time. The thing that sucks for me personally is that, obviously, I really don't care about VA Tech or UVA or the Skins or Nats. So, I'm thinking, yessssssssssssssssssssss, WGR is streaming....how cool is it going to be to hear Buffalo sports talk radio? Well, it really was awful this AM. I had to seriously turn it off. And then, when people called in to talk about the Bills, the guy from Atlanta was hurried. Those two guys were AWFUL today. Period. Sports or not.

It was just surprising. And yeah, they could have done an hour on Craig Nall. Everyone bitching about Nall, would have been better than talking about downtown parking, whether college bball girls are hot enough to watch the sport, and if it's actually fun to go out on weekends in the city of Buffalo. Let's see, they could have done the NCAA tourney, the World Baseball Classic, or even Terrell Owens stuff. There was plenty of things to talk about on a fuggin Monday, that could have stirred up the good people of Buffalo. They stole the stations money today. At least in the last 1 1/2 hours they did.

Flat out awful.

Oh gimmie a break.  Again, just so you can try to comprehend.  Just so you can't spin this so that you can try and sound important.

I THOUGHT THE SHOW SUCKED................PERIOD.  It has nothing to do with the Bills.  Seriously, is this Howard Simon or something? 

We have two all-sports talk radio stations in Richmond, VA.  In a town with ZERO major league sports teams.  One homer in the AM who is pretty awful.  And two competing guys in the 3-7 PM time slot.  One who actually worked for WGR two years ago.

As far as sports information goes, the two guys in Richmond blew away GR today.  That isn't saying much.  But at least the guys throw out daily topics and try to get discussion on something.  Don't know if it's like that all the time.  The thing that sucks for me personally is that, obviously, I really don't care about VA Tech or UVA or the Skins or Nats.  So, I'm thinking, yessssssssssssssssssssss, WGR is streaming....how cool is it going to be to hear Buffalo sports talk radio?  Well, it really was awful this AM.  I had to seriously turn it off.  And then, when people called in to talk about the Bills, the guy from Atlanta was hurried.  Those two guys were AWFUL today.  Period.  Sports or not.

It was just surprising.  And yeah, they could have done an hour on Craig Nall.  Everyone bitching about Nall, would have been better than talking about downtown parking, whether college bball girls are hot enough to watch the sport, and if it's actually fun to go out on weekends in the city of Buffalo.  Let's see, they could have done the NCAA tourney, the World Baseball Classic, or even Terrell Owens stuff.  There was plenty of things to talk about on a fuggin Monday, that could have stirred up the good people of Buffalo.  They stole the stations money today.  At least in the last 1 1/2 hours they did.

Flat out awful.

636980[/snapback]

An hour on Craig Nall? What in the world is there really to say about the guy other than he was a backup in GB?

NCAA Tourney? This isn't really a hoops town..Sorry.

World Baseball Classic? They talked plenty about it last week.

TO? They talk about that jerk all the time, especially in the last year or so.

I think most of you folks are expecting far too much from GR, especially during the off season of a football team that has sucked for about a decade now...

One who actually worked for WGR two years ago.

636980[/snapback]

Who would that be?

I'll tell you if he was good or not and then everyone else will disagree with me and get off your back !! :devil:

Mike Maniscalco is at radio 910 in Richmond, Mike worked with Brad at night before he got his gig in Richmond. He is a very nice person....

Who would that be?

I'll tell you if he was good or not and then everyone else will disagree with me and get off your back !!  :devil:

637020[/snapback]

I love sports talk radio but I can't stand WGR. I still end up listening to it ,occasionally, because there is no other choice.

However, I just don't see how the station offers any entertainment. They don't provide any information that can't already be found on the internet. They don't "scoop" anyone on local sports stories, it's not like you "hear it first" from them.

The hosts don't even offer very good opinions anymore. You can read smarter comments regarding the Bills here and at other sites. Show prep to those guys seems to be visiting Two Bills Drive. I can do that myself.

Plus, successful radio personalities make it seem like they are talking directly to you, like they are your friend or people you want to hang out with. The WGR hosts seem like people you work with; whiners that you tolerate because you have no choice.

Here's hoping that either someone with a little money restarts WNSA or that creative amateurs start making downloadable podcasts that are all about Buffalo sports.