I'm Really Starting to Like

Casey D

He's got a plan. He's got a team full of holes, so he casts as wide a net as possible adding players. High character guys, who have room for improvement with good coaching/teaching, but come at a reasonable cost. And for all the old guy jokes about RW and Levy, no one on the wrong side of 30 gets added.

He does all this instead of spending a bunch of money on one or two guys, especially when there are so many holes to fill. He truly is the anti-Donahoe, everything he does is pretty much the opposite, no big names, no aging stars.

As George Castanza would say, if every instinct Donahoe had was wrong... then do the opposite.

And it's really cool how Levy is irritating the fans who lapped up the Donahoe approach-- we want Bentley, and Archuleta, big names with big contracts. Now if the results Levy gets in a couple of years is the opposite of Donahoe, then we are talking... CD

He's got a plan.  He's got a team full of holes, so he casts as wide a net as possible adding players.  High character guys, who have room for improvement with good coaching/teaching, but come at a reasonable cost.  And for all the old guy jokes about RW and Levy, no one on the wrong side of 30 gets added.

He does all this instead of spending a bunch of money on one or two guys, especially when there are so many holes to fill.  He truly is the anti-Donahoe, everything he does is pretty much the opposite, no big names, no aging stars.

As George Castanza would say, if every instinct Donahoe had was wrong... then do the opposite.

And it's really cool how Levy is irritating the fans who lapped up the Donahoe approach-- we want Bentley, and Archuleta, big names with big contracts.  Now if the results Levy gets in a couple of years is the opposite of Donahoe, then we are talking... CD

635066[/snapback]

TD picked up plenty of supposedly underrated, unde valued guys who had room for improvement. And those were the FA's and draft picks who couldn't play. The big name, high contract FA's he signed were the only signings that worked such as Fletcher, Adams, Milloy and Spikes. Guys like Teague, Anderson and Gandy were all failures and of course, all on the O-line.

I trust Marv better to spot guys who can play than I did TD so maybe signing guys on the cheap will work this time around. I have my doubts however.

TD picked up plenty of supposedly underrated, unde valued guys who had room for improvement.  And those were the FA's and draft picks who couldn't play.  The big name, high contract FA's he signed were the only signings that worked such as Fletcher, Adams, Milloy and Spikes.  Guys like Teague, Anderson and Gandy were all failures and of course, all on the O-line.

I trust Marv better to spot guys who can play than I did TD so maybe signing guys on the cheap will work this time around.  I have my doubts however.

635075[/snapback]

For me, the jury is out. Modrak is the common thread so maybe the results will be similar (let's hope not). The new staff, at least at the top, seems to me better equipped to contribute to the conversation than was Mularkey & company.

I agree I think too many posters are looking for the big splashy splurge(me included) But until Levy has a year or two of failures he has my complete confidence.At the end of the season I'll complain how I think we should have got Culpepper, or Bentley, or Abraham, or T.Pryce, or Archuleta

Guys like Teague, Anderson and Gandy were all failures and of course, all on the O-line.

I trust Marv better to spot guys who can play than I did TD so maybe signing guys on the cheap will work this time around.  I have my doubts however.

635075[/snapback]

Why are people still dogging Gandy? He definitely was serviceable at a very reasonable price. Put a guard who isn't a turnstile next to him and he may be able to elevate his play.

Why all the Gandy hate? I'd love to hear some specifics of why he sucks because from my non-professional-talent-evaluting eyes, he did ok.

RTB

I am not sure how all this will play out, but I at least understand what (I believe) Marv is doing. He is targeting younger players with growth potential, not older vets on the downside of their career. I think he is being realistic that the Bills will not be a playoff challenger this year, but he is building for a solid future. The only thing that I don't understand is the lack of attention to the O-Line ... his teams thrived with good offensive lines - perhaps, Wells is a move to start addressing that. And don't be too surprised if JP is sent packing - something tells me that his approaches and mental makeup are not to Marv's liking. Although, it is unlikely I could see the Bills selecting Cutler at #8 or at the very least targeting a QB with a 3rd or 4th round selection who has some upside.

uote=Casey D,Mar 19 2006, 07:49 AM]

He's got a plan. He's got a team full of holes, so he casts as wide a net as possible adding players. High character guys, who have room for improvement with good coaching/teaching, but come at a reasonable cost. And for all the old guy jokes about RW and Levy, no one on the wrong side of 30 gets added.

He does all this instead of spending a bunch of money on one or two guys, especially when there are so many holes to fill. He truly is the anti-Donahoe, everything he does is pretty much the opposite, no big names, no aging stars.

And it's really cool how Levy is irritating the fans who lapped up the Donahoe approach-- we want Bentley, and Archuleta, big names with big contracts. Now if the results Levy gets in a couple of years is the opposite of Donahoe, then we are talking... CD

635066[/snapback]

We will know more in a week. If AZ ends up signing Wells and the Bears sign that DE (won't even try to spell his name), then all Marv's accomplished so far is weeding out the roster, adding depth (woo-hoo), a blocking TE and a starting DT, and, oh yeah, he's helped 2 other teams negotiate new contracts for their up and coming players by setting the market. Not much of an upgrade to a 5-11 team.

Was an offer made to Neal? And if not, why not?

Looks to me like Marv's working on a 5-year plan.

I know everyone wants the Bills to get Neal, and while I am not against it why are tha Pats who are 21 million under the cap not bringing him back. I guess I am gun shy of ex pats because Bellicheck got the best of us a couple times already.

635130[/snapback]

Well according to the experts on the board, if we do make him an offer we are stupid either because-- we are simply taking NE's trash OR we are simply helping NE out by establishing his market value when he resigns with NE.

If we don't sign him we are stupid as he is the greatest guard ever to have suited up to play football...CD

Well according to the experts on the board, if we do make him an offer we are stupid either because-- we are simply taking NE's trash OR we are simply helping NE out by establishing his market value when he resigns with NE.

If we don't sign him we are stupid as he is the greatest guard ever to have suited up to play football...CD

636092[/snapback]

That sounds about right.

I'm not getting sucked into any hype until I see results on the field. Nothing Levy is doing hasn't been done by past failures since he retired. Whenever we see results, then we can say this team is headed into the right direction.

635091[/snapback]

I'm not getting sucked into the anti-Levy hype until I see what happens on the field. Levy has done nothing since he has retired to make me think that he will duplicate past failures. Until we see the results of what he is doing, we can't say that this team his headed into the crapper.

I'm not getting sucked into the anti-Levy hype until I see what happens on the field. Levy has done nothing since he has retired to make me think that he will duplicate past failures. Until we see the results of what he is doing, we can't say that this team his headed into the crapper.

636347[/snapback]

We can't?

Really, in what area has this team gotten better? MAYBE at the GM position. Maybe, the jury's out on that. But I see no improvement on either of the lines, I see a blocking TE brought in instead of a G or C, and I see a weak attempt made at two FAs.

We'll see if they're better or not, but right now the magic 8-ball's saying it's "highly unlikely."

Why are people still dogging Gandy? He definitely was serviceable at a very reasonable price. Put a guard who isn't a turnstile next to him and he may be able to elevate his play.

Why all the Gandy hate? I'd love to hear some specifics of why he sucks because from my non-professional-talent-evaluting eyes, he did ok.

RTB

635108[/snapback]

Uh, because he had the most penalties of any lineman maybe!

Hey, its all about wins. I don't care what Levy does this offseason. Come September, the team has to win. If it doesn't, then we start thinking about another avenue to pursue. The league is changing everyday, and teams that will do well are the ones who can manipulate the cap and find those 3 or 4 players at teh skill position to push them over the 10 win mark (ie, the colts: tarik glenn, manning, edge, harrison, frenney). For us to beat Miamia or the Pats we need a LT, a QB, a pass rusher, a RB (i guess we kind of have one), a kicker, and evans to be a 100 catch 1500 yard man. Is this possible after looking at what we got? Hell NO! And to boot, we got nothing ont he DE line, at safety at TE or Of guard. the QB position is a HUGE question mark. I would be surprised if we win 7 games this season and that is only if McGahee's knee holds up.

I'm not getting sucked into any hype until I see results on the field. Nothing Levy is doing hasn't been done by past failures since he retired. Whenever we see results, then we can say this team is headed into the right direction.

635091[/snapback]

This post sums up my thoughts to a "T". I want to see results too, not overhyped crap about a good up and coming team. Week 1, Game 1 will tell you all you need to know. Not the stupid combine, draft, FA, pre-season garbage were fed all spring/summer long. :devil:

I just want to see that the team has turned the corner and is starting to become a successfel team. If this team goes 4-12 this year I would not have a problem, just as long as they atleast showed they were becoming a successful team. I am not expecting this team to make the turn around overnight and expect them to go through some gowing pains this year. (This is a new regime running the team and they are cleaning up the mess from the last one)

I would rather see the Bills lose a bunch of hard fought close games this year then watch them lose and fight between eachother in a bunch of blowout games. If this team is on the right track this year, there will be less holes to fill next year when maybe Marv will be signing some of the bigger name FA's