Isaac Hays quits Southpark

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/13/s...reut/index.html

Don't know if this was already posted, but it is big news. The new season starts soon (maybe this week??) and Matt Stone and Trey Parker are on record for making the shows at last minute to include realtime current events. The show is at its absolute best when its making fun of someone. For a guy who did 150 episodes revolving around mocking jews and mormons, he sure got offended by that scientology episode last october. More proof that scientology is wacko... I wonder when their david koresch is coming. I sure hope its soon. And yes, i'm pissed at scientology. Hayes is just misguided by that wacko trevolta religion.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually graduated from South Park.  I miss Kenny.  He was a highly recruited football prospect.  Would have gone to Tulane....blew out his knee.

628318[/snapback]

Chef doesn't even know the difference between encroachment and off sides.

By the way, Matt Stone said Hayes didn't have much of a problem with the episode when he ran to the bank to cash his check. :(

Chef doesn't even know the difference between encroachment and off sides.

By the way, Matt Stone said Hayes didn't have much of a problem with the episode when he ran to the bank to cash his check.  :(

628355[/snapback]

Just a rumor, but I heard that they actually ran the script by him before doing it, to make sure he was OK with it. I am guessing that the Scientology people saw the episode and "applied pressure" to Hayes to quit.

It sucks, but it's not that big a loss at this point.  When was the last time Chef said or did anything funny?  2000?  2001?

All the big laughs come from Cartman and Butters nowadays anyway.

628295[/snapback]

Exactly - Chef was in so few episodes I thought he was already gone - I can't remember the last new episode I saw where I heard the familiar, "Oh, hello children".

I love Chef as a character (and his parents even more) and I'm sad he won't be in future episodes, but at this point it's not a big loss because he's been absent for so long.

Just a rumor, but I heard that they actually ran the script by him before doing it, to make sure he was OK with it. I am guessing that the Scientology people saw the episode and "applied pressure" to Hayes to quit.

628411[/snapback]

My thoughts as well.

628411[/snapback]

I've been watching a lot of the old South Parks lately and lamenting the disapperance of Chef from the newer eppisodes. He used to have a song in alomst every episode and they were ALWAYS funny. His quitting the show won't have much of an impact as that's already been felt.

As for the whole Scientology thing, it's odd. As you note, he saw the script and did it anyway. I also read an interview with him where he addressed that episode. He sort of laughed it off and said that Scientology really isn't like that, etc, etc. The creepy guys in charge must have gotten to him.

I was disapointed at first but after reading the article I'm kinda glad he left.

He says they crossed the line from satire to intolerance in that episode and that is why he left

But as Stone said, he had no problem cashing his checks when they made episodes about jewish and catholic religions but once they did one he followed, he decides that they are being intolerant? They pretty much did the same episode about the mormans and the church of Jesus Christ and Later day saints yet he had no problems then.

I was disapointed at first but after reading the article I'm kinda glad he left.

He says they crossed the line from satire to intolerance in that episode and that is why he left

But as Stone said, he had no problem cashing his checks when they made episodes about jewish and catholic religions but once they did one he followed, he decides that they are being intolerant? They pretty much did the same episode about the mormans and the church of Jesus Christ and Later day saints yet he had no problems then.

629320[/snapback]

PROGRAM NOTE: The scientology episode will be shown wednesday night on comedy central. 9pm i believe, but maybe 9:30 or 10... I'll check the guide and update later.

PROGRAM NOTE: The scientology episode will be shown wednesday night on comedy central. 9pm i believe, but maybe 9:30 or 10... I'll check the guide and update later.

Funny, either in that RS article linked to above or some Isaac Hayes news thingy, they mention that Paramount isn't allowed to show it anymore.

I seem to recall an episode where that the credits were like John & Jane Smith as mentioned, but I don't remember the episode itself, so was hoping to see it.

Funny, either in that RS article linked to above or some Isaac Hayes news thingy, they mention that Paramount isn't allowed to show it anymore.

I seem to recall an episode where that the credits were like John & Jane Smith as mentioned, but I don't remember the episode itself, so was hoping to see it.

629614[/snapback]

i just saw a promo for it while i was watching the "scott tennemon must die" episode that recorded last night.

629614[/snapback]

The episode you reference was about about a bleeding statue of the Virgin Mary, and you can probably guess that Trey and Matt had her spouting blood from some very interesting places. They knew it would cause an uproar from teh Catholic League (it did), so they put John and Jane Smith names in the credit. Last I heard, Comedy Central had agreed to to rerun that episode.

The episode you reference was about about a bleeding statue of the Virgin Mary, and you can probably guess that Trey and Matt had her spouting blood from some very interesting places. They knew it would cause an uproar from teh Catholic League (it did), so they put John and Jane Smith names in the credit. Last I heard, Comedy Central had agreed to to rerun that episode.

629629[/snapback]

Maybe that was in that episode as well, but the Scientology episode had the strange credits of which you speak. The Catholic League complains. Scientology, on the other hand, will sue.