Favorite independent or obscure movie

Dante

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite independent film is a documentary about the Massillon Tigers high school football team called "Go Tigers!"

I saw it about two years ago...if you think football is big in WNY, try Massillon, Ohio. Where the team has gotten into trouble with the Ohio High School Athletic Association for holding kids back a year so they would be bigger and stronger football players.

The writer and director, Kenneth Carlson, is a Massillon native and went to Massillon Washington High. He tells the story of the 1999 Tigers in an impartial way, with a bit of a jaundiced eye toward the town that only an insider would have. And not everyone in town is a fan...some of the students who don't like football feel disenfranchised and disconnected.

The movie is rated "R"...plenty of bad language and underage drinking. Just like a fall Sunday in Orchard Park, New York. :rolleyes:

"Go Tigers!" is a good movie. I recommend it highly.

Mike

Here's a few:

"Hey! Stop Stabbing Me!" (funny!)

"Killer Klowns from Out Space" (funny!)

"Pi" (very good)

"Firefly" (ok, so it's a cancelled TV series -- it's still obscure and was AWESOME until Fox killed it... Look for "Serenity," the movie followup to the series, in April)

CW

Wow, you guys are putting some some great flicks......I love this topic!

How about....

1) Love is Beautiful (my favorite movie of all time)

2) Swingers (Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn.....great film)

3) Bubba Ho-Tep (a "redemptive Elvis movie" - Bruce Campbell)

4) The Station Agent ( a great film about friendship)

Sling Blade

I never thought I'd say I was a Dwight Yokam fan until I saw that movie.

45624[/snapback]

Slingblade for me too. Look at my signature

Life is Beautiful

Cinema Paradiso

Being John Malkovich

Run Lola Run

Barton Fink

Bad Influence

Drugstore Cowboy

Some of the other suggestions are some of my favorite films-

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Swingers

Usual Suspects

Memento

The Big Lewboski

Fargo(hell anything by the Cohn brothers is fantastic!)

Lots others, many others I have yet to see- I will add them to my netflix list

"Repo Man" starring Emilio Estevez, produced in 1984 by Pacific Arts, ownde by Michael Nesmith of the Monkees. Very strange and darkly funny.

These is a very subtle joke about product placements in movies...because they couldn't get any placement deals, every product in this movie is a white-and-blue-label generic product. Everything is called "BEER" or "BEANS" or whatever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/

"Repo Man" starring Emilio Estevez, produced in 1984 by Pacific Arts, ownde by Michael Nesmith of the Monkees.  Very strange and darkly funny. 

These is a very subtle joke about product placements in movies...because they couldn't get any placement deals, every product in this movie is a white-and-blue-label generic product.  Everything is called "BEER" or "BEANS" or whatever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/

46397[/snapback]

Forgot Repo Man. How could I!!! Man its my favorite special edition dvd. http://www.videoranch.com/Merchant2/mercha...&Store_Code=VRS

Just had to get it. Comes with the Repo Man sound track cd(which is fantastic btw if your iinto LA punk.) Hell Suicidal Tendencies " Institutionalized" and "When the stevestojan hits the fan" by The Circle Jerks is worth it alone. Also comes with a Repo Man Comic Book type thing as well. Nice set.

Forgot Repo Man. How could I!!!  Man its my favorite special edition dvd. http://www.videoranch.com/Merchant2/mercha...&Store_Code=VRS

Just had to get it. Comes with the Repo Man sound track cd(which is fantastic btw if your iinto LA punk.) Hell  Suicidal Tendencies " Institutionalized" and "When the stevestojan hits the fan" by The Circle Jerks is worth it alone. Also comes with a Repo Man Comic Book type thing as well. Nice set.

46417[/snapback]

Yup, I have that one too. :devil: Considering I bought it a few years back, I wonder how "limited edition" it really is...

CW