Favorite independent or obscure movie

Dante

True. I had to order it on the Internet from a Canadian wholesaler.

One of my faves.

47066[/snapback]

I dont think its that hard to get guys. I just saw it out here at Fry's bundled with another movie("The Transporter" another good flick imho) for $19.99. I was actually going to get it because I heard how good it was but I ended up getting the Clerks X: Tenth aniverseray edition instead.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe nobody has mentioned, "Ghost World". Thora Birch & Steve Buscemi are great in that.

I'm not a big fan of zombie films, but "Night of the Living Dead" is outstanding.

I guess "The Usual Suspects", does qualify, that was a from a very small company. Excellent film.

"Memento", great movie.

"The Blair Witch Project", very effective chiller.

"Life Is Beautiful", great story.

"Boys Do'nt Cry", great performance by Hillary Swank. Major downer of a movie though.

In response to Mark VI, thanks for mentioning "Nosferatu", I never would have thought of that as an Independant film. Without a doubt the most frightening looking Dracula ever.

In response to wnyguy, "Freaks" is a cult classic, and a very good movie. However that was a mainstream film.

"Fargo" is mainstream, so it would'nt qualify. Personally I think "Fargo" is overrated.

Thats all I can think of now. Later

Many good titles mentioned. I'm surprised no one recommended "Ghost World" yet, a very dark comedy. Another dark movie is "Bully". I also liked "Elephant" but recommend that you watch it but do so without reading a review or the DVD/VHS package beforehand. If don't mind subtitles another good foriegn film is "Amores perros".

I dont think its that hard to get guys. I just saw it out here at Fry's bundled with another movie("The Transporter" another good flick imho) for $19.99. I was actually going to get it because I heard how good it was but I ended up getting the Clerks X: Tenth aniverseray edition instead.

47470[/snapback]

Probably not difficult now, but this was 4 years ago.

What did Gallo rip Buffalo about???

45687[/snapback]

Lew Port..it was absolutely hilarious...he was mainly ripping sandy beach etal for ignoring him/ripping him for his movie Buffalo66. he said "buffalonians can all take a s%$#@t". lol...it was great Buffalo style humor from a Buffalonian. These hypersensitive pro-Buffalo everything people are a laugh.--But he really was ripping a lot of other people in a very humorous way..not just Sandy Beach and buffalonians.

Whats your favorite non Hollywood independent movie. Here's three of my favs.

Clerks(obvious)

Dead Pet

American Movie

45622[/snapback]

Heavy....with debbie harry----

Trees lounge....with steve Buscemi

Buffalo 66

Donnie Darko-don't know why but I can pop it into the player and watch it almost anytime.

N Dynomite-the MTV movie(out now) it's Funny, not when you are watching it, as much as later after you think about it, and you start making fun of it.

Garden State-another new one, it's very good, a bit of a chick flick but worth seeing with a date.

"last seduction" Interesting aspect was Linda Fiorentino's nomination as best actress withdrawn because the film was shown on HBO BEFORE being released as a feature film. Has western New York Setting as well.

Also "Farewell My Concubine" This is one of the ten best films of all time in my opinion. Chinese.

"The Last Seduction" was a good one. Wasn't part of it filmed in Buffalo?

"Buffalo '66" was OK, but I thought Vincent Gallo was a mean and bitter p---k.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a coming of age film for my generation...and it's as funny as hell too...

"Better Off Dead"

That film was an obscure movie when it was released in 1985, but it has become a cult classic over the years. I especially like the part when Beth tells Lane she's breaking up with him because it's in her best interests to find someone "more popular, better looking, and drives a nicer car". And then everyone is asking Lane if it's OK to ask Beth out...even Barney Rubble over the TV set!

And the scene with all the breakup songs on the car radio, and then Lane throws it out the window...classic.

"I'm sorry your mom blew up, Ricky." LMAO

Mike

Amelie

Rushmore

Big Lebowski

No Man's Land -- great movie about the war in Bosnia, pretty chilling

25th Hour -- Ed Norton has got to do more work like this

Memento

just saw "Hero" last night. Despite its flaws and potential as an argument for fascism, it's a beautifully done movie.

also, for any punks out there, Jem Cohen's Fugazi film "Instrument" is postively amazing, as is the Clash doc "Westway to the World"

The Jokeman Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Many good titles mentioned. I'm surprised no one recommended "Ghost World" yet, a very dark comedy. Another dark movie is "Bully". I also liked "Elephant" but recommend that you watch it but do so without reading a review or the DVD/VHS package beforehand. If don't mind subtitles another good foriegn film is "Amores perros".

I mentioned "Ghost World" about 2 posts ahead of you, Jokeman. Very good movie.

Two other movies that I should mention: "Shadow of the Vampire". Very good movie, especially for those of you who are fans of "Nosferatu", great performance by Willem Dafoe.

"The Passion of the Christ", very powerful film. This is an independant movie, released by Newmarket Films, same company that distributed "Memento".

"House of Games" (David Mamet's directorial debut)

"Jean de Florette" (Greek tragedy with a French turn) along with its conclusion "Manon of the Spring" (which coincidentally, introduced a hot, young actress named Emmanuelle Beart)

47100[/snapback]

All those three are terrific films. Emmanuel Beart is a beautiful, excellent actress. One of my all time favorite films has her in it, "Un Coeur en Hiver" (A Heart in Winter". If you like slow foreign films, it's tremendous.

Life is Beautiful

Cinema Paradiso

Being John Malkovich

Run Lola Run

Barton Fink

Bad Influence

Drugstore Cowboy

Some of the other suggestions are some of my favorite films-

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Swingers

Usual Suspects

Memento

The Big Lewboski

Fargo(hell anything by the Cohn brothers is fantastic!)

Lots others,  many others I have yet to see- I will add them to my netflix list

46347[/snapback]

Impressive list Pete!

I am still amazed at the camera work in "Amores Perros" (Mexico).

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0245712/

"Once Were Warriors" from New Zealand was too violent (for some) but a great story.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0110729/

"One Day in September" about the terrorist acts of the 1972 Olympics was well done.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0230591/

Recently, I saw "Holy Cross" at the Montreal Film Festival;

http://www.ffm-montreal.org/cgi-bin/ffmfil...um=15344&lng=EN

I don't know if "Holy Cross" is going to make it in the US as it has not yet been picked up but if it shows up in theaters, see it!

Did someone say Emmanuelle Beart? She is quite elegant!

So is Virginie Ledoyen!

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Virginie+...eb-t&fl=0&x=wrt

Thanks Spun! You have some great recomendations yourself- I am gonna bump up "One Day in September" to #1 on my net flix list. Thanks for the solid recs and thanks to all the other replys- I have seen plenty of movie suggestions which I have not seen and intend to now.