Losman's still hurt...

Not that he's injured, but that he isn't a viable QB option right now? I mean seriously if he were healthy we'd ALL be calling for him, and maybe some people in the locker room would be too. As it is Shane Matthews isn't really an option that will improve anything so we're stuck with Drew.

This forces us and the team to try to figure out how to make what we have work rather than chuck it and start over. Be honest, as bad as Bledsoe was last week he wasn't terrible in week 1, but the O-Line has been awful both weeks. They can't open a hole for the running game. If you can't run you have problems, regardless of your QB.

There is only ONE way this team will get better, block better, period. Anyone but Michael Vick would have serious trouble in our situation right now.

Yes, Bledsoe was garbage last week, his accuracy was crap, there's no arguing that. But if we consistently end up in 3rd and 6 or more this is what we can expect. People will blitz us to death. We MUST continue running the ball but we must get better at it...soon other wise we're done and contrary to popular opinion it won't all be Drew...

Not that he's injured, but that he isn't a viable QB option right now?  I mean seriously if he were healthy we'd ALL be calling for him, and maybe some people in the locker room would be too.  As it is Shane Matthews isn't really an option that will improve anything so we're stuck with Drew.

This forces us and the team to try to figure out how to make what we have work rather than chuck it and start over.  Be honest, as bad as Bledsoe was last week he wasn't terrible in week 1, but the O-Line has been awful both weeks.  They can't open a hole for the running game.  If you can't run you have problems, regardless of your QB.

There is only ONE way this team will get better, block better, period.  Anyone but Michael Vick would have serious trouble in our situation right now.

Yes, Bledsoe was garbage last week, his accuracy was crap, there's no arguing that.  But if we consistently end up in 3rd and 6 or more this is what we can expect.  People will blitz us to death.  We MUST continue running the ball but we must get better at it...soon other wise we're done and contrary to popular opinion it won't all be Drew...

44871[/snapback]

Nice-- a thoughtful post.

correction:  Bledsoe was garbage last year, half of the year before, and the first two games this season.

But, whats 26 games?

44873[/snapback]

I think you misunderstand me. Yeah he's sucked but until somebody blocks for him I am not willing to put any more than 50% of the blame on him. Last year the whole offense was a joke from the top down. Sam Gash at WR, 'nuff said.

And to correct you he was not garbage in week 1, did he fumble twice in scoring territory or did Eric Moulds? He missed one throw, to Daimon Shelton on the goal line, when the line AGAIN did not block the blitzer. Should he have made the throw, yes, does that make the whole game awful, no.

I'm not saying he's great and we shouldn't criticize because he's not and we should but if we all point the finger at one man it lets the 5 who are really to blame off the hook. Did Travis Henry suddenly become terrible because he's averaging 2.something a carry? No, he has no holes. Our line SUCKS, it has SUCKED and it will continue to SUCK until they fix it. Until then I don't think anyone can objectively evaluate any skill player that is line dependant. If we GET a good line and he still sucks, please feel free to dump him immediately. Until then don't waste your breath because there's noone else for at least 8 more weeks. And by the way TD is getting grief for trading up to get HIM, but that's another rant.

Good post. This would be worse than Fluti/RJ though, because no one here would be defending Bledsoe (how could you?!?)

My only complaint about the injury is that IF the Bills suck this season (and that seems like a possibility), I'd like to see Losman start for the last 5-6 games just to get the jitters out of the way for meaningless games.

No one likes to see anyone get hurt, but ironically as long as JP recovers fully physically in the ling run, I think not being able to play is probably the best thing for his development as a player right now and as a future bigtime contributor to the Bills.

This can easily be mere whistling in the dark, but my thinking is:

1. I would have loved to see JP burst on the scene and be ready to go right from the start and lead us to an SB this year. However, in the real world this wasn't going to happen anyway. I had him penciled in as the disaster QB for the Bills this year as I thought it was even unlikely that this rookie was going to contribute to the team as a winning gack-up as a rookie. I'm bummed he's hurt, but i see know difference between his contribution right now injured to what his contribution would have been to this team if he were healthy.

2. Nothing teaches like playing at NFL speed against NFL opponents. However, in addition to learning how to play at pro speeds against pro opponents, I also feel that Losman has a lot to learn about understanding the game mentally as well as physical improvement in playing at pro speed rather than Tulane speed. Between the two, I am actually much more confident at Losman's physical abiliies (particular after this pre-season than in his mental abilities. Even hirt he can still learn the clipboard stuff which i think is a key to improvement for him. In fact, as Kyle Boller observed at the NFL draft, I think he will do a better job learning the game without the distraction or preparing himself (even as disaster QB) on the off-chance he might play the game. if the result of this injury is more quality time for him at Sam Wyche's knee learning the game in the press box rather than learning the game carrying the clipboard I think he will benefit.

3, The pressure to play and produce is a real deal and I think a big part of the mismanagement of many a young talent. The Brett Farve's of the world, Steve Young's, Trent Dilfers and Brad Johnson were traded away by teams which rushed them along and I'm glad that this temptation and pressure is not there on JP right now.

Its fine with me if Losman sits out this whole season and does not contribute to the Bills because I really doubt he will contribute on the field as a rookie if he were to play. I think like Micjael Vick, Chad Pennington and others the fact that he sits out all or most of this season should have little or no negative effect on his future production and the opportunity to sit and watch without the distraction of being prepared to play can and should be a great benefit to his game.

No one likes to see anyone get hurt, but ironically as long as JP recovers fully physically in the ling run, I think not being able to play is probably the best thing for his development as a player right now and as a future bigtime contributor to the Bills.

This can easily be mere whistling in the dark, but my thinking is:

1. I would have loved to see JP burst on the scene and be ready to go right from the start and lead us to an SB this year.  However, in the real world this wasn't going to happen anyway.  I had him penciled in as the disaster QB for the Bills this year as I thought it was even unlikely that this rookie was going to contribute to the team as a winning gack-up as a rookie.  I'm bummed he's hurt, but i see know difference between his contribution right now injured to what his contribution would have been to this team if he were healthy.

2. Nothing teaches like playing at NFL speed against NFL opponents.  However, in addition to learning how to play at pro speeds against pro opponents, I also feel that Losman has a lot to learn about understanding the game mentally as well as physical improvement in playing at pro speed rather than Tulane speed.  Between the two, I am actually much more confident at Losman's physical abiliies (particular after this pre-season than in his mental abilities.  Even hirt he can still learn the clipboard stuff which i think is a key to improvement for him.  In fact, as Kyle Boller observed at the NFL draft, I think he will do a better job learning the game without the distraction or preparing himself (even as disaster QB) on the off-chance he might play the game.  if the result of this injury is more quality time for him at Sam Wyche's knee learning the game in the press box rather than learning the game carrying the clipboard I think he will benefit.

3, The pressure to play and produce is a real deal and I think a big part of the mismanagement of many a young talent.  The Brett Farve's of the world, Steve Young's, Trent Dilfers and Brad Johnson were traded away by teams which rushed them along and I'm glad that this temptation and pressure is not there on JP right now.

Its fine with me if Losman sits out this whole season and does not contribute to the Bills because I really doubt he will contribute on the field as a rookie if he were to play.  I think like Micjael Vick, Chad Pennington and others the fact that he sits out all or most of this season should have little or no negative effect on his future production and the opportunity to sit and watch without the distraction of being prepared to play can and should be a great benefit to his game.

44926[/snapback]

great points FFS...

what really scares me is how bledsoe is having trouble hitting the WR's when they are open and/or he does have time...

As it is Shane Matthews isn't really an option that will improve anything so we're stuck with Drew.

44871[/snapback]

I don't understand this statement. Like Shane Matthews can be worse that Drew Bledsoe? Are we going to score any fewer points? Give up any fewer sacks? The only reason Shane Matthews is not an option, is because the Bledsoe apologists and Tom Donahoe will look even more foolish if the Bills weree to start winning.

PTR

Not that he's injured, but that he isn't a viable QB option right now? 

We MUST continue running the ball but we must get better at it...soon other wise we're done and contrary to popular opinion it won't all be Drew...

44871[/snapback]

Yeah and now if only we could get a few bad calls by the refs against us on a couple of HUGE plays, everything would be just peachy!

Seriously though, it would be nice to have JP as an option. If the OL is unable to give the QB any time, your best option is always going to be a mobile QB. The problem with JP (if he was available now) is that his inexperience may take away any benefit that his mobility produces. Since JP is not an option for at least 6 to 16 weeks this is a moot point anyway.

Right now we...err...Mularkey and Clements need to figure out some way to start stretching the field and then open up the running game. Teams will continue stacking up the line of scrimage to stuff the run or blitz the QB untill we make them respect our ability to go deep!

Maybe we should have Drew working out of the shotgun, K-Gun style. If Drew had 3-5 seconds to find someone, we might hear Moulds or Evans names called for a TD or two each game.

Exactly.

We have no idea how bad or good Matthews would be... So, if the offense is struggling with Bledsoe why not try it?

Exactly?

Maybe 'you' have no idea but some 30-odd teams do. Remember, he was golfing in pre-season. <_<

Not that he's injured, but that he isn't a viable QB option right now?  I mean seriously if he were healthy we'd ALL be calling for him, and maybe some people in the locker room would be too.  As it is Shane Matthews isn't really an option that will improve anything so we're stuck with Drew.

44871[/snapback]

And how do we know Shane Mathews isn't an option? We haven't really seen him play yet?

There's an old addage, "When it ain't broke, don't fix it."

What gets me are the pollyannas that think just because it's suited up in a red white and blue Bills uni, it's "fixed."

Maybe the people in Western NY can't see it because they're saturated by the local Bills coverage, but nationwide the Bills are causing no opposing coaches to have sleepless nights when they're coming to town.

Say what you will about what Donna,Ho' has or hasn't done to fill roster spots, but the whole seems to be quite a bit less than the sum of the parts.

Bad teams hope to win but expect to lose.

Mediocre teams occasionally surprise by winning when they shouldn't.

Good teams win close games and overcome adversity.

Great teams create adversity for their opponents and win championships.

Yes Pollyanna, this year's edition of the Bills, is not a great team.

And no, I don't want to root for another team, thank you.

I just want this one fixed, and fixed right.

Exactly.

We have no idea how bad or good Matthews would be... So, if the offense is struggling with Bledsoe why not try it?

45045[/snapback]

You've obviously never watched Matthews play. The best thing he could do for the Bills would be to continue carrying the clip board.

So, lets just keep Bledsoe in there and watch him continue to lead this team down hill. <_<

45402[/snapback]

You just don't get it. Matthews has never been more than the second coming of Joe Dufek. As poorly as Bledsoe played last week, he's still the Bills best bet. Replace Bledsoe? Sure, but to do that you have to have some sort of option. Matthews is the anti-option. You may be ready to throw in the towel afetr two loses by a combined total of 6 points, but thank God the Bills Brass aren't. Unless the Bills re-coop, we may see Losman yet this year, late in the season. At least then it would be for the future.