Kzoo offseason Version 3.0

Mikie2times

FA: DE Darren Howard, LT Kevin Shaffer, C Mike Flanagan, RB Jonathan Wells, WR Brian Finneran, OT Stocker McDougal

Cap Casualty Pick Ups: DT LaRoi Glover, DT Ted Washington

Franchise: CB Nate Clements

Tender: WR Mario Haggan, LB Josh Stamer, CB Jabari Greer, RB Shaud Williams

Resign: OT Jason Peters (New Deal), DT Ron Edwards, LS Mike Schneck, DE Ryan Denney

Release: DT Sam Adams, OG Bennie Anderson, OLB Jeff Posey, OT Mike Williams, TE Mark Cambell

Draft

1. FS Michael Huff

2. OG David Joseph

2. DT Gabe Watson

3. TE Dominique Byrd

4. WR Jason Avant

4. OLB Terna Nande

5. QB Bruce Gradkowski

6. OG Matt Lentz

7. WR Brad Smith

Offense

QB- Losman- Holcomb-Gradkowski R

RB- MaGahee-Wells FA-Williams

FB- Shelton-Burns

TE- Byrd R-Everette-Euhus

WR- Moulds-Evans-Finneran FA-Avant R- Parish-Smith R

LT- Shaffer FA-Gandy

LG-Joseph R-Gandy-Gesinger

C- Flanagan FA-Preston-Lentz R

RG-Villerial-Preston-Lentz R

RT- Peters-McDougal FA

Defense

LE- Schobel- Howard- Denney

DT-Glover CC- Ron Edwards

DT-Washington FA- Watson R

RE-Howard-Kelsey- Denney

OLB- Spikes-Haggans-Nande

MLB- Fletcher-Ezekiel

OLB- Crowell-Stamer

CB- Clements-King-Greer

CB-MaGee-Vincent

FS- Huff R-Vincent-Baker

SS-Milloy-Wire

Training Camp Battles

1st QB- Losman-Holcomb-Gradkowski

3rd WR/4th WR/5th WR- Finneran, Avant, Parrish

1st TE- Byrd-Everett

Comments- Bills are awarded 4th round compensation or the loss of JJ and PW. We also trade our 1st and 3rd round pick to Arizona for its 1st and 2nd round pick. Cardinals select Jay Cutler. Moulds is resigned to a 7 million dollar deal.

Small points, really...

Isn't Howard going to be quite expensive? I don't know how much he's worth. You're spending a lot on free agents.

I'd be wary of Shaffer. He may be a system lineman, benefitting from years in the same place, the same system. It might take him time to adjust, and the fans don't have that patience now. (Although it will take years for our line to gel, no matter who's on it.)

I like picking two players from Michigan, especially Avant, but I'm not high on Watson. He always struck me as fat and lazy. And I don't know what Washington has left in the tank.

The Huff pick is smart and will pay off handsomely. I think we should be able to get more from our pick if it is traded in a situation where teams are fighting for Cutler.

I'd rather have J. Reed than Finneran, and I'm not sure what McDougle adds.

Overall, I like the plan, especially the draft. I'm not sure about adding eight guys from outside the organization, especially when Howard, Flanagan, Glover, Washington, and McDougle are at or pushing 30. It might make more sense to go after one or two key free agents that will be here a while than a bunch that are temporary fixes.

FA: DE Darren Howard, LT Kevin Shaffer, C Mike Flanagan, RB Jonathan Wells, WR Brian Finneran, OT Stocker McDougal

Cap Casualty Pick Ups: DT LaRoi Glover,  DT Ted Washington

Franchise: CB Nate Clements

Tender: WR Mario Haggan, LB Josh Stamer, CB Jabari Greer, RB Shaud Williams

Resign: OT Jason Peters (New Deal), DT Ron Edwards, LS Mike Schneck, DE Ryan Denney

Release: DT Sam Adams, OG Bennie Anderson, OLB Jeff Posey, OT Mike Williams, TE Mark Cambell

Draft

1.  FS Michael Huff

2. OG David Joseph

2. DT Gabe Watson

3. TE Dominique Byrd

4. WR Jason Avant

4. OLB Terna Nande

5. QB Bruce Gradkowski

6. OG Matt Lentz

7.  WR Brad Smith

Offense

QB- Losman- Holcomb-Gradkowski R

RB- MaGahee-Wells FA-Williams

FB- Shelton-Burns

TE- Byrd R-Everette-Euhus

WR- Moulds-Evans-Finneran FA-Avant R- Parish-Smith R

LT- Shaffer FA-Gandy

LG-Joseph R-Gandy-Gesinger

C- Flanagan FA-Preston-Lentz R

RG-Villerial-Preston-Lentz R

RT- Peters-McDougal FA

Defense

LE- Schobel- Howard- Denney

DT-Glover CC- Ron Edwards

DT-Washington FA- Watson R

RE-Howard-Kelsey- Denney

OLB- Spikes-Haggans-Nande

MLB- Fletcher-Ezekiel

OLB- Crowell-Stamer

CB- Clements-King-Greer

CB-MaGee-Vincent

FS- Huff R-Vincent-Baker

SS-Milloy-Wire

Training Camp Battles

1st QB- Losman-Holcomb-Gradkowski

3rd WR/4th WR/5th WR- Finneran, Avant, Parrish

1st TE- Byrd-Everett

Comments- Bills are awarded 4th round compensation or the loss of JJ and PW. We also trade our 1st and 3rd round pick to Arizona for its 1st and 2nd round pick. Cardinals select Jay Cutler. Moulds is resigned to a 7 million dollar deal.

601178[/snapback]

I think this is excellent but is Mike Huff really a need? I understand he's a heck of a player, but getting Ngata would help especially if we are looking to groom him for the next season to replace Ted Washington. If we go your way with Watson in the third, (and that's a big if that he'll be there) then this offseason looks good.

JP is on TSW?  :D

601196[/snapback]

I've often wondered if Bills players post on this board masquerading as fans. It's kind of funny really. I can see JP sitting down at his desk and typing, "So, what do you all think about JP?" or Nate Clements typing, "You know, I really don't think they should franchise Clements".

Is Brad Smith a WR or a QB? The Brad Smith I know was Mizzou's QB.

601332[/snapback]

He'll play wide out in the NFL and I would love that pick. I'm a homer though, considering I live about a quarter mile from Faurot field (Mizzou's football stadium) and have seen every start Smith has ever had (most in person). He's 6'2 212 lbs and runs the forty in the high 4.3s low 4.4s and is absolutely electric in the open field. His best attribute of all though is his attitude and his dedication. He'll be a project but if anyone could make the transition I think he can.

Some responses to the comments......

-The Howard addition isn't so we can move Schobel over, it's so he can play opposite Schobel. LE isn't Howard’s natural side but he has started several games at that spot so it's not like he's incapable of being effective on that side.

- Huff isn't a glaring need but my approach on this draft is changing. Ngata is the obvious choice and I have nothing against that, but this team is not one or two guys away. If the so called elite players (Williams, D'Brick etc.) in this draft are all gone by our spot and the Cutler hype continues then we might be able to trade down and draft best player available. If we do this the OL and DL MUST be addressed after round 1 and FA.

- Smith is a WR prospect, props to STL Bills as he did a good job explaining the reasons Smith would be an intriguing day 2 pick.

- Watson is not a favorite of mine by any means; in fact I've been trashing his lazy arse for a few months now. But as his stock keeps plummeting his value increases. Shaun Rogers comes to mind as a great DT that saw his stock slip in a similar fashion, and while I don’t think Watson is the talent Rodgers is he is without question a 1st round talent. Hopefully 4 or 5 months of pundits calling him lazy will motivate this guy because if he is motivated he's practically unblockable.

- As for the cost and age of the players I signed I don’t see this as spending an astronomical amount. We might not be able to fit all these guys under but many are in the waning stages of their careers so they should come at a decent price. The age doesn’t bother me because I see many of the vets that made up the TD nucleus departing within the next couple years. We have young talent, but in the areas I’m plugging in vets at we aren’t as strong, and the presence of these guys will allow us to get better now while we buy ourselves some time to find younger alternatives.

So let me get this straight.....

You have us somehow either getting Moulds to give up a ton of money or giving Moulds a ton of money.

Then you have us sign Brian Finneran and draft 2 WR's, all the while letting Sam Aiken; the captain of the Special Teams go and Roscoe Parrish no better than 5 on our depth chart?!

I don't think so.

So let me get this straight.....

You have us somehow either getting Moulds to give up a ton of money or giving Moulds a ton of money.

Then you have us sign Brian Finneran and draft 2 WR's, all the while letting Sam Aiken; the captain of the Special Teams go and Roscoe Parrish no better than 5 on our depth chart?!

I don't think so.

601656[/snapback]

Getting Moulds to restructure is possible. He signed a deal last year that paid him 5.15 million this past season, and I don't think Moulds or the Bills thought his current contract would play out past this year. If we offer him about 7 million I see enough benefits on both sides to justify the move if he still wants to be with Buffalo. Eventually Moulds will need to be replaced, and if he refuses to restructure then he will force the Bills hand this year. I just think 07 would be a much better year to deal with this. By then we should have a little more stability at QB, improved line, and most important a better FA class. So the reason I have Buffalo going after three WR's is to bring in the additional talent that will be needed for Moulds departure.

Past Evans we don't have a single receiver on this team that has proven he belongs in this league. We also are starting to have the makings of one of the smaller WR cores. Bigger options improve red zone efficiency, and red zone efficiency is an area we really need a lot of work on. Each of my additions is 6'0 or taller, and each of them are physical players. Finneran is a poor mans Ed MaCafrey and would be the jump ball target we don't have. Avant just does the little things that make players great. He will drop because of speed concerns but he would be a great addition to the mix. Smith is more of an intangibles pick because I love his attitude, and a great football player with a great attitude would be a no brainier that late in the draft, even if he is a project. Talent is supposed to bring out the best in players so may the best player emerge from this group. If we had Finneran, Avant, and Parrish battling for our 3, 4, and 5 spots we should at least get a legit 3rd WR, and have an outside chance at a 2nd WR.

As for Aiken I love our ST, and if we can have him as our designated Tasker then I would be all for it. I would have no problem releasing Damion Shelton, as he seems to be slowing down, and FB's are a dime a dozen. He still packs a load but cutting him would save nearly 800K which would allow us to keep Aiken and make the rest the moves more feasible.

Show me a muscular and fast back up RT on the market and I'll be sure to add him to the next off-season plan.

601721[/snapback]

Thats just "Obie-speak"

Fat = bad player

Fat not mentioned = good player

Even though all tackles expect for maybe 1 or 2 in the league are "fat".

:D

Parrish doesnt deserve to play in the NFL? You're wuite sure of yourself. Considering he played HALF A SEASON. we should hire you as a scout. Any picks in American Idol, you seem to be amazing at making completely unfounded snap judgments. Sorry, but give the guy a chance.

Parrish doesnt deserve to play in the NFL? You're wuite sure of yourself. Considering he played HALF A SEASON. we should hire you as a scout. Any picks in American Idol, you seem to be amazing at making completely unfounded snap judgments. Sorry, but give the guy a chance.

601851[/snapback]

Yawn…

Past being a 2nd round pick has Roscoe proven he belongs in this league as a 3rd WR? That’s what I said. I never demoted him or said he wasn't in the mix. If he wants a job he can win instead of getting the 3rd slot handed to him.