Bills offer DC job to Bates!

Looky here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...n_john#20060125

Bates considers offer from Bills: The Bills have offered former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates their defensive coordinator job. He is going to take Wednesday night to think about it, but the Bills have the last defensive coordinator job available. The Texans are expected to hire Frank Bush and Coach Smith as co-defensive coordinators, and once that deal is done, the Bills are the last chance for a coach to land a defensive coordinator job. For the moment, Bates' decision is whether to take the Bills offer or sit out the season under the Packers paycheck.

I pray he takes the job. . . he did a good job in GB and Miami. In GB, the defense was putrid the year before he got there, and very solid this past year. He is a good one that everyone should be happy with. I predict that, if hired, Bates hiring will be the first around here this month that doesn't get a bunch of negative posts.

I pray he takes the job. . . he did a good job in GB and Miami. In GB, the defense was putrid the year before he got there, and very solid this past year. He is a good one that everyone should be happy with. I predict that, if hired, Bates hiring will be the first around here this month that doesn't get a bunch of negative posts.

Well considering your reply in the other thread, I guess we can expect that to at least include you. B-)

Also from the same article:

Jauron's experience pays off

Bills coach Dick Jauron got a later start than the Jets' Eric Mangini, but he's jumped to a significant lead in assembling his staff. Jauron beat out the Jets for former Rams offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. The Bills made a great hire along their defensive line by getting Bill Kollar of the Rams. Those two moves show the advantage of having an established, longtime head coach vs. a young 34-year-old head coach. Jauron has a long history in the NFL and a great reputation for assistants. Mangini is a bright mind, but he doesn't have a long background of working with different coaches. It will be interesting to see how Mangini puts his staff together. Their seems to be mutual interest with the Dallas Cowboys in former Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, so it will be interesting to see if Mangini can pull Palmer away from Bill Parcells.

Although it is all from The Nerd, so take it for what its worth. And wasn't Clayton completely hating on Jauron just a few days ago? Now he's a genius for the staff he's putting together? Ahhh E$PN.

Just because espn reports it, I don't always believe it. They've screwed the pooch too many times via reporting unsubstantiated rumors as fact.

If that's an accurate report, we should know something by tomorrow.

Well considering your reply in the other thread, I guess we can expect that to at least include you. B-)

584152[/snapback]

Yes, I'd actually be pleased with Bates hiring.

So far, "Cowboy Logic" tally sheet reads like this:

Levy: Good

Jauron: Bad

Fairchild:Bad (but, I'm hopeful now)

Bates: Good

:w00t:

584149[/snapback]

B-):w00t::lol:

You think there is something that can be done on OBD that won't get a bunch of negative posts?????

Well, if we get him, we'll have one of the better D coordinators in the league. Miami was always tough under Bates, don't forget that.

And his players really like him.

If we don't get him, and he decides to do nothing and collect a packer paycheck, then we'll know that Ralph's wallet is truly tight, and we'll know where a big part of the problem is...

B-)

584161[/snapback]

Actually, I like the Fairchild hire.

Given Ralphs' cheapness with HC's, you knew we weren't going to get a bonifide, established guy.

If the owner is going to go on the cheap with a HC, you can be sure he isn't going to pay top dollar for a coordinator. I think the Bills need some life injected into their offense. The Rams, over the last few years, win or lose, have had success in getting a lot out of previously thought of as mediocre QB's (Warner, Bulger), and they spread the ball around a lot. Martz is known to love the pass, but the Rams ran the ball well, at various times. I think we get, in Fairchild, a guy who is schooled in the "offensive genious" of Martz, without getting stuck with the "douche bag" that is Martz....a lot of the Rams offensive success was dependent on the running back, either running or blocking. Hopefully, Willis is in step with all of the changes, and elevates his game, the way most of us thought he would this past season.

I would love to see Bates, but not to be a pessimist, my gut tells me he won't take the job. Not only is Ralph likely not to shell out much for him, he is an older, established guy who seems to envision himself a HC. Would he want to come to work in Buffalo, with the situation as shaky as it is, for a HC who has been pegged as being a defensive coach? I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening...he won't stay unemployed for long.

I think the Bills need some life injected into their offense.  The Rams, over the last few years, win or lose, have had success in getting a lot out of previously thought of as mediocre QB's (Warner, Bulger), and they spread the ball around a lot. Martz is known to love the pass, but the Rams ran the ball well, at various times.  I think we get, in Fairchild, a guy who is schooled in the "offensive genious" of Martz, without getting stuck with the "douche bag" that is Martz....a lot of the Rams offensive success was dependent on the running back, either running or blocking.

584177[/snapback]

One thing to add to your thinking: Fairchild, at one time was a QB. Watching Martz get his QBs killed every week... had to teach Fairchild what not to do.

If the owner is going to go on the cheap with a HC, you can be sure he isn't going to pay top dollar for a coordinator. 

584177[/snapback]

I keep seeing references to Ralph's frugality, but frankly, I don't know how they can be justified. 30 years ago, yeah, he was a cheap SOB. But everything the Bills have done since the late 80's sure didn't seem to be short-cutted or cheap. In fact, it seems that most everything has been done pretty close to 1st class -- from the Training Camps that became the league model to the gameday experience, he spends money.

Also, Green Bay and St Louis TV stations' websites have reported that Bates turned down over $1 million per year from the Rams. If Clayton's report is accurate and Bates is contemplating the Bills' DC job, Ralph must have coughed up a good chunk of change, certainly no less than what the Rams offered.

B-)

584161[/snapback]

You have to remember that some of these coaches would not even be here if it were not for Jauron. Jauron has a ton of respect around the league and most coaches view it as an honor to work with him. If Jauron were not here, who knows if these other coaches even come in here. I mean look at Mangini....Un known and has not earned the same respect. Not only can't he hire a new staff, but all of the current staff wants out!

It is impossible to know if Jauron will turn out to be a great coach, but one thing is for sure.....the respect that Jauron has around the league has been paying immediate dividends in hiring a quailty staff. If Bates does end up coming in.......well, I guess you would have to say he has been a great hire for us so far.

What I want to know is whether the same situation with Sherman's contract from the Packers (meaning he still gets paid and the Pack must pay the difference if he gets another job) holds true for Bates? I know he turned down a million plus from the Rams. And I know everyone thinks that Ralph is cheap with coaches but in the NFL if you have no previous HC experience and you are just the latest hot coordinator and no one is fighting over you, which happened with GW and MM you almost always get less than the other guys. Jauron may not have signed for just peanuts, but likely more than 1.5 per season. Fairchild probably gets middle of the pack for OC. I wouldn't be surprised if Bates agrees to the job.

The Rams, over the last few years, win or lose, have had success in getting a lot out of previously thought of as mediocre QB's (Warner, Bulger), and they spread the ball around a lot. Martz is known to love the pass, but the Rams ran the ball well, at various times. I think we get, in Fairchild, a guy who is schooled in the "offensive genious" of Martz, without getting stuck with the "douche bag" that is Martz....a lot of the Rams offensive success was dependent on the running back, either running or blocking. Hopefully, Willis is in step with all of the changes, and elevates his game, the way most of us thought he would this past season.

...do we get Tom Nutten back B-)

584149[/snapback]

It won't take two seconds for some ahole in the press to write "Bates, our new master of defense... Bills' Defense - now master Bates." B-)

Quite a few of Jauron's coaching tree have had NFL success on the defensive side of the ball. I hope it is Bates, but if it isn't I think he'll make as good a selection as is possible.

Here's an accounting of what's happened to his first ever hires as HC in Chicago.

Linky Thing

It's pretty decent - especially on D. And, one could argue that our old buddy Greg Williams (among others) is benefiting from Dick Jauron's old staff.

Also from the same article:

Jauron's experience pays off

Bills coach Dick Jauron got a later start than the Jets' Eric Mangini, but he's jumped to a significant lead in assembling his staff. Jauron beat out the Jets for former Rams offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. The Bills made a great hire along their defensive line by getting Bill Kollar of the Rams. Those two moves show the advantage of having an established, longtime head coach vs. a young 34-year-old head coach. Jauron has a long history in the NFL and a great reputation for assistants. Mangini is a bright mind, but he doesn't have a long background of working with different coaches. It will be interesting to see how Mangini puts his staff together. Their seems to be mutual interest with the Dallas Cowboys in former Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, so it will be interesting to see if Mangini can pull Palmer away from Bill Parcells.

Although it is all from The Nerd, so take it for what its worth.  And wasn't Clayton completely hating on Jauron just a few days ago?  Now he's a genius for the staff he's putting together?  Ahhh E$PN.

584153[/snapback]

the jets are a complete mess, the odds on favorite to finish with the worst record next year. comparing anyone to them is bound to make anyone look good

the jets are a complete mess, the odds on favorite to finish with the worst record next year. comparing anyone to them is bound to make anyone look good

584234[/snapback]

Well, thats true. However, the Jets are direct competition in the staffs being built and of course the division. So it is significantif the patriots are on the downsloap and the jets stink next year. I remember just a few days ago a lot of folks were saying, how can the the bills staff hope to compete with mangini, glad to see that appears to no longer be a concern..

Actually, I like the Fairchild hire. 

Given Ralphs' cheapness with HC's, you knew we weren't going to get a bonifide, established guy.

I

584177[/snapback]

and who would fit your description of a bona fide, established guy who wanted to work as a OC?

The best candidate is probably on the staff as QB coach already.

Martz is holding out for a HC job.

I think we get, in Fairchild, a guy who is schooled in the "offensive genious" of Martz, without getting stuck with the "douche bag" that is Martz....

B-)

What I want to know is whether the same situation with Sherman's contract from the Packers (meaning he still gets paid and the Pack must pay the difference if he gets another job) holds true for Bates?

584215[/snapback]

Are we sure hes getting paid by the Pack? Seems to me he QUIT as DC in GB, even though they wanted him to stay. I could not find any report of a financial agreement in the media. Seems to me the Pack doesn't owe him anything.

I know Clayton said he would be paid by the Pack , but I am just not sure. If he is, hell of a nice parting gift for them in consideration for not getting the HC job .

errr....Clayton.

584208[/snapback]

I actually posted that from my PSP. The lack of a keyboard makes longer posts impossible, but what I should have posted was that the points he stated can not be over-emphasized IMO.

Jauron seems to have a very good rep with other coaches, if not with fans, and if his coaching/management style is what I'm thinking it must be to have had Marv offer him the job, it would make Bflo an attractive place to work for a coordinator/position coach.

I keep seeing references to Ralph's frugality, but frankly, I don't know how they can be justified.  30 years ago, yeah, he was a cheap SOB.  But everything the Bills have done since the late 80's sure didn't seem to be short-cutted or cheap.  In fact, it seems that most everything has been done pretty close to 1st class -- from the Training Camps that became the league model to the gameday experience, he spends money.

584191[/snapback]

The only time Ralph has had a HC whose pay ranked in the top half of the leauge, was Chuck Knox...Marv Levy, even after four Super Bowl appearences, was never a top paid head coach. Ralph has been willing to dole out money for players, but not coaches. It is an "old school" mentality. Al Davis has the same attitude...

Are we sure hes getting paid by the Pack? Seems to me he QUIT as DC in GB, even though they wanted him to stay.

584318[/snapback]

He was a little peeved that they passed over him and went with McCarthy as the HC in GB.

After meeting with McCarthy, both sides decided it was time for a change at DC -- Polite way of saying that neither was too pleased with the other and a satisfactory settlement had been reached.

and who would fit your description of a bona fide, established guy who wanted to work as a OC?

The best candidate is probably on the staff as QB coach already.

Martz is holding out for a HC job.

584294[/snapback]

I don't know that there is one (outside of Martz or Marriuci, maybe Heimerdinger and a handful of college guys), but if there was, we wouldn't likely get them. I like the Fairchild move, but look at all of the other posts, wishing for guys that will never come here....

I don't know that there is one (outside of Martz or Marriuci, maybe Heimerdinger and a handful of college guys), but if there was, we wouldn't likely get them.  I like the Fairchild move, but look at all of the other posts, wishing for guys that will never come here....

584521[/snapback]

Heimerdinger got out of his contract specifically to take over for Kubiak in Denver.

There are definitely more DC candidates than OC candidates this year.

That's why Wyche will be the Bills ace in the hole.

I would love to see Bates, but not to be a pessimist, my gut tells me he won't take the job.  Not only is Ralph likely not to shell out much for him, he is an older, established guy who seems to envision himself a HC. Would he want to come to work in Buffalo, with the situation as shaky as it is, for a HC who has been pegged as being a defensive coach?  I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening...he won't stay unemployed for long.

584177[/snapback]

What is with the money angle on everything? Coaches who are paid top money have either been in the playoffs consistently, won or been to super bowls, and are normally on the same team for years. Is Ralph cheap? I don't know, but when you are job hunting, the company makes an offer, then you counter. Then both sides compromise.

As for bates not being unemployed long, consider that the DC position are almost all filled, and sitting out a year will not get you better money next year, unless he gets an HC job. I haven't heard of him being offered jobs by other clubs yet. I think he will take the position, then spring board to an HC opening next year.

What is with the money angle on everything? Coaches who are paid top money have either been in the playoffs consistently, won or been to super bowls, and are normally on the same team for years.

584536[/snapback]

That is exactly the point. Ralph is interviewing guys like Capers, Caldwell, April, and Jauron....any coincidence that all have no real track record of success, to base their salary demands on? Martz (not interviewed) and Sherman (interviewed, but not hired) would have fit the criteria of HC's with experience, some success, and would likely command a much higher salary than Jauron.

Believe me, Jauron, of all the guys interviewed, would have been my choice too. If it were up to me, though (and I know it is not), I might have interviewed 6 completely different candidates....

If Ralph really was willing to pay coaches the market value for established coaches, he wouldn't be hiring guys like Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, or Dick Jauron. That is not even a slap at those three guys, just a fact. Instead of hiring Williams, he could have at least made an attempt to bring in a Parcells, or even a friggin' Joe Gibbs. Sure, they were retired at the time, but Washington and Dallas were able to make an offer big enough, they couldn't refuse.

Ralph doesn't work like that. I am sure that he doesn't have as much money as Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, but to pretrend that money has not played a factor in deciding who will coach in Buffalo, or not, is pretty naive. I am sure it is not so much that Ralph is cheap, but he is not going to pay top dollar, because he is not likely to make back as much as he would like, with the Bills current set up, in Buffalo. It is likely a sound business decision.

In business, the object isn't only to make a profit, you set a percentage of how much profit you want to make, anything less, is a waste of your efforts. Every business that goes out of business, does not do so, because they are not making any money. They go out of business, because they are not making enough money....