Who will win Super Bowl XL?

TheMadCap

Which team will be victorious in Detriot?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be victorious in Detriot?

• Pittsburg Steelers
    • Denver Broncos
    • Seattle Seahawks
    • Carolina Panthers

Carolina has an awesome defense, they can score on you in a flash. They have Steve Smith, a freak amongst mortal men. And Nick Goings can run the ball in place of DeShaun Foster. They have more experience than anyteam this late in the year other than perhaps the Steelers. They will win it...

I'm on the fence between Denver & Carolina.....but I'll go with Denver right now.

I think Denver beats Pittsburgh, but in a close game. I'm not sure Troy Polamalu can win the game by himself and Plummer will be able to adjust to the Steelers' blitzes better than Peyton did.

Carolina is on a roll right now and even without Foster, I don't think Seattle's DBs can keep up with Smith. I'd watch for Ricky Proehl to have some big catches.

I think those two teams will win next week, but Denver's running game is a lot deeper right now. If those two teams get there, all they have to do is stick Champ Bailey on Steve Smith with some safety help and that takes away about 75% of Carolina's offense. Nick Goings is a good RB, but not quite DeShaun Foster. Denver's OL should hold down Peppers & Rucker.

Carolina has an awesome defense, they can score on you in a flash. They have Steve Smith, a freak amongst mortal men. And Nick Goings can run the ball in place of DeShaun Foster. They have more experience than anyteam this late in the year other than perhaps the Steelers. They will win it...

569629[/snapback]

I agree. Carolina pretty much outplayed NE in Superbowl a couple years ago, certainly Delhomme outshined Brady. Fox screwed up by going for 2pt conversion too early. Last year injuries derailed them, but they appear to be team of destiny now. Denver got a lot of breaks vs Pats and will need to play better to beat Steelers. But Seattle had the least impressive outing in advancing to the title game. They turn it over easily,have crap special teams, and I will take Delhomme over Hasselbeck any day. It hurts having Foster out, but damn the Panthers just appear destined to get back to the Superbowl and win. They've been the best team in the playoffs so far, w/ Steelers close behind. :pirate:

569629[/snapback]

I think they win it too, though I'd like to see Seattle at least make it since they've never been there. I see Cowher losing another AFC Championship game :pirate: (at least this one will be on the road). Plummer was great against the Pats, but I can't see him winning a Super Bowl. Jake D (not Jake P) has the intangibles I like to see in a big game.

I think they win it too, though I'd like to see Seattle at least make it since they've never been there. I see Cowher losing another AFC Championship game :pirate: (at least this one will be on the road). Plummer was great against the Pats, but I can't see him winning a Super Bowl. Jake D (not Jake P) has the intangibles I like to see in a big game.

569807[/snapback]

As well as Carolina played against Chicago, I think they do not have the number of weapons required to win the big one. I was mightily surprised that Steve Smith was left in single coverage so much. I am not sure Carolina will do so well offensively if a team contains Smith (note I did not say shutdown Smith 'cos that appears very difficult). Overall, I think the Seahawks appear to have the best balance on both sides of the ball to win it. However, my thoughts are only after seeing the playoff games so it is unclear if this last weekends games were won on talent+consistency or a group adrenaline rush.

My personal order of probability= Seattle, Denver, Pittsburgh and Carolina.

As well as Carolina played against Chicago, I think they do not have the number of weapons required to win the big one. I was mightily surprised that Steve Smith was left in single coverage so much. I am not sure Carolina will do so well offensively if a team contains Smith (note I did not say shutdown Smith 'cos that appears very difficult). Overall, I think the Seahawks appear to have the best balance on both sides of the ball to win it. However, my thoughts are only after seeing the playoff games so it is unclear if this last weekends games were won on talent+consistency or a group adrenaline rush.

My personal order of probability= Seattle, Denver, Pittsburgh and Carolina.

569833[/snapback]

I don't really look at weapons so much when we're down to the final four teams, I look at intangibles a lot more, especially when all 4 teams are fairly close in overall talent (ie. no Super team this year). Since by definition, you can't truly put a finger on intangibles, you have to go by your perceptions, instincts, & history... and I just don't trust the Seahawks to win it all.

I look at the confrence championship games from the perspective of who the better coaches are and what "TEAMS" have more playoff experience With that said Superbowl 40 will be

Denver vs Carolina

I think Coaching in the afc will hold a bigger factor. Cowher will play it to close to the vest, and keep it on the ground way too much, when to beat the broncos you should put it in the air. Match randel el up against champ bailey and send him on a few post routes he's bound to burn him a few times. The pats tried this with Andre Davis and David Givens to some good success. Shanahan is smart. He knows he's gonna have to win in the playoffs through the air. He realized that during the end of the regular season, and he prepared accordingly. They'll run when they have to, but I look for them to take advantage of blitzburgh by attacking the middle of the field. Denver 24-13

In the nfc playoff experience will hold a bigger factor then coaching. This carolina team knows what it takes to get there, and john fox will definitlly have his team well prepared. Seattle is a young team with a bright future. They wont go down quietly, but experience will win this game. Carolina. 27-24.

Carolina vs Denver Super Bowl XL

I'm picking carolina cause they have the front 7 to match up against any rushing team in the league, and denver doesn't have the greatest set of wr's and carolinas secondary is just awesome. Steve Smith will own the most overrated cb in the nfl. I will Say though Shannahan had the best coaching job in the nfl this year. Bringing A Jake Plummer led team possibly to the superbowl. That says it all.

Maybe its Pittsburgh's year.  While I think their are 4 quality QB's, I like Ben R. the best under pressure.

570136[/snapback]

Best under pressure ? Ignoring Hasselbeck and Plummer (both not tested in playoff pressure), I give the edge to Delhomme simply because he has been to the SB and played well against NE (under pressure). Ben R has proven it in one game against the Colts.

Denver, i dont know how people can say the winner between the nfc game when the two best teams of late in teh afc were beat, doesnt that make one of them the frontrunner? i just think denver is playing great football as all the teams are but to take the patriots down the way they did is enough to convince me.

Carolina pretty much outplayed NE in Superbowl a couple years ago...

I'd say neither team outplayed the other, given that it essentially came down to a "who has the ball last?" situation.

...certainly Delhomme outshined Brady.

:blink:

Their numbers were both very good. They both threw three TDs, both turned the ball over once (Brady threw a pick, Delhomme lost a fumble), and Brady threw for more yards and completed 16 more passes on just 15 more attempts.

And my pick is Seattle. I just don't see Pittsburgh or Carolina winning three straight road games, and Seattle is more than capable of handling Denver, I think.

I like the Broncos over the Panters, something along the lines of 31-23.

I think, when nobody was looking, and counting him out, Mike Shanahan proved, once again, this year, that he deserves to be mentioned as one of the very best coaches in the NFL. I would love for Buffalo to have a coach like Shanahan. He is one game away from a Super Bowl, relying on a running back by committee approach, Jake frickin' Plummer, and the Clevland Browns D-line from the last few years. If a guy has anything to offer to a football team, Shanahan gets it out of him.

when the playoffs started i picked the steelers... don't really know why as many people laughed at me for thinking the steelers will beat cinncinati and indianapolis...

well, i think the steelers are a much more physical, much more dominant team than the broncos will be, and if they can give such a hard time to one of the best passers in the NFL, i think Plummer is going down this weekend, and I think it will be an ugly game as Ward won't have any room having Champ on his ass the whole game.

On the other hand, i'm not sure about Seattle and Carolina. They are both quality teams who have dominated this year. I guess it all comes down to the OL. It will be a great matchup of seeing Walter Jones vs Julius Peppers. IMHO, if Alexander has room to run, Seattle will win. If they shut down Alexander, chances are Carolina will win the time of Possession battle and Steve Smith will have record numbers again.

I still think the AFC is going to win the Superbowl so.. uh I say Carolina vs Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh wins it in a tight one.