I've become numb

Indy Dave

Maybe it's better for my sanity, but I used to watch EVERY game with so much intensity. I know many of you know what I'm talking about. I clapped, pumped my fist, and yelled for all of the positives, and yelled at all of the bad plays and bad calls. Lately though, I just sit, watch the game, don't utter a word and change facial expressions....just sit there.

What's worse, I just finished watching the Pacers beat the Clippers and had more fun watching that game than I did watching the Bills today. As a Pacers fan, I was really into the last quarter and a half (that's all I watched). I can't believe I had more intensity for a freakin' NBA game than I did for a Bills game. I also admit that I watched about five plays of the Chargers game last week. I wanted to watch the Colts-Bengals game more. I thought it would be a good game to watch...it was. I thought we'd get killed by San Diego...we did.

My loyalty is being tested. Anyone who has known me for the past 30 years would find that hard to believe. I have been a true fan since I was a child. But the truth is, other than Takeo and Moulds, there isn't anyone on this team I just love to watch play. I think Mularkey is in over his head. I didn't like TD from day one. On the other hand, I have always liked the Colts, for no particular reason. Then I moved to Indianapolis. They are a good team, very fun to watch. I was always a Polian fan. Always liked Manning, back to his Tennessee days. LOVE Marvin Harrison. LOVE Dwight Freeney. (Yes, I'm a Syracuse fan, and the Colts have two other SU guys on the roster.) Love Tony Dungy. I like how they have been loyal to their best players. So yes, a few years ago, I adopted a second-favorite team.

I'll always be a Bills fan, but each loss stings less and less. I'll take responsibility for getting an interest in another franchise, but I have to think that some of this comes from the fact this organization has misfired more times than not. I don't see much reason for hope, and I'm usually an optimist.

My loyalty is being tested.

There will only be one NFL team for me to root for. But the disconnect between myself and how the team does is being challenged week after week.

It was like that last year, after the Sunday night game against the Pats when, for the first time I can ever recall, I went to bed not knowing exactly how the Bills did (I figured they lost, having turned the game off in the second quarter). They "brought me back" with the win streak and set me up for this season, but here I am again ... almost not caring simply because there's very little to care about.

Depressing. I know exactly how you feel.

He only thinks that because he regularly reads this board.

513774[/snapback]

Holy Schmoly, he reads this board and still gives us the same

tub of pig excrement O-line year in and year out.

(of course I notice, he can also get recipes, and help dealing with union representatives.)

Funny this topic came up. After every other loss this season, my day was ruined, and my week was in a slump. Today though, I accepted that we didn't deserve to win. J.P. is running around like a deer in headlights. Our Lines suck. There is no consistency to this team, other than them playing like crap. London was the only player to show up today.

Atleast I'm not taking it as hard as usual.

Maybe it's better for my sanity, but I used to watch EVERY game with so much intensity. I know many of you know what I'm talking about. I clapped, pumped my fist, and yelled for all of the positives, and yelled at all of the bad plays and bad calls. Lately though, I just sit, watch the game, don't utter a word and change facial expressions....just sit there.

513747[/snapback]

You've described me perfectly. I've lost my voice screaming and cheering at soundless 13 inch TV monitors in sportsbars, rooting for the Bills. And that included religiously watching and cheering during some pretty bad times (I never missed a game during our 3-13 campaign a few years ago).

Now, it seems that the team has just lost heart...and I have begun to, as well. I chalk it up to our defense more than anything. When you can't stop teams and can't get off the field (like in the Tampa Bay and San Diego losses especially), it takes everything out of you. I'm now like a zombie watching the games--it's sad.

You think?

513776[/snapback]

I'd like to think that Tom has spent zero minutes and zero seconds reading TSW.

I never posted this before, but through my connections at work, I was able to work for the NFL Network at the Combine (held here in Indy every year) last year. I was timing 40s, charting vertical jumps and cone drills. I talked to a few scouts and eavesdropped on conversations. I wouldn't say people laugh at the Bills, but I can tell the level of respect for the organizations isn't very high. (Why should it be, with the way we've been in recent years?) There were two people who seemed to walk around like their sh** didn't stink. One of them was Bill Belichick. The other was TD. I think one of them has earned the right. The other...what the hell has he done? Just watching him, and reading his quotes, and looking at the overall results of the moves he's made as GM of our franchise....I don't know...I just don't like the guy.

(of course I notice, he can also get recipes, and help dealing with union representatives.)

513777[/snapback]

LOL

No one gets the joke.

I'll help ya out, he thinks most fans truly bought his five years of manure because of those on the boards.

Sadly, it's probably true. He probably thinks that a few squeaky wheels calling everyone that didn't think he was a genius a moron were a representative cross section of Bills fans.

513777[/snapback]

LOL

No one gets the joke.

I'll help ya out, he thinks most fans truly bought his five years of manure because of those on the boards.

Sadly, it's probably true. He probably thinks that a few squeaky wheels calling everyone that didn't think he was a genius a moron were a representative cross section of Bills fans.

I'm from Buffalo, New York and I'll NEVER quit believing that someday this team will raise that trophy high and ALL OF US will shed a tear when that day comes! I find myself reaching for the free agency list and the draft newsletters wondering how they will take this team from mediocrity to contention! Can't help it!! I practically convince myself that the right moves will occur and next year is the ticket! The funny thing is if 2006 isn't the turn around I'm envisioning, there always is 2007 and so forth! My feeling is that it CAN be done and I'll hang in there waiting for what I believe WILL HAPPEN! Call me crazy, but I'm Tivo'ing next week and for the rest of the year! IT'S BILLS FOOTBALL!!!! :blink:

There's no reason to feel ashamed for being disinterested in a Bills team that seems to only work hard enough to avoid losing.

That doesn't mean you don't support the Buffalo Bills in general, but you don't always have to blindly love and approve of each year's version. These past few versions have shown me little passion and I've rewarded them with the same amount.

Everybody recognizes it, but it's somewhat difficult to verbalize. They don't seem to have a lot of genuine fire in their bellies. They never come from behind to win. They always say how prepared they are and how hard they're working, but we never see it. Their goal seems to be the big contract or the highlight and if they happen to win, that's cool too.

It wasn't too long ago that the roster seemed full of players that cared about winning first and I can't believe I'm looking to the 98-00 roster sunnily, but at least they showed enthusiasm. Even the 2001 3-13 roster really played to win.

I'm just not seeing it right now and I can't force myself to care anymore. I'll always care about the Buffalo Bills but they're going to have to win back my diehard passion, and it doesn't even have to be victories that wins it back.

But they need to show me something.

What's worse, I just finished watching the Pacers beat the Clippers and had more fun watching that game than I did watching the Bills today. As a Pacers fan, I was really into the last quarter and a half (that's all I watched). I can't believe I had more intensity for a freakin' NBA game than I did for a Bills game. I also admit that I watched about five plays of the Chargers game last week. I wanted to watch the Colts-Bengals game more. I thought it would be a good game to watch...it was. I thought we'd get killed by San Diego...we did.

My loyalty is being tested. Anyone who has known me for the past 30 years would find that hard to believe. I have been a true fan since I was a child. But the truth is, other than Takeo and Moulds, there isn't anyone on this team I just love to watch play. I think Mularkey is in over his head. I didn't like TD from day one. On the other hand, I have always liked the Colts, for no particular reason. Then I moved to Indianapolis. They are a good team, very fun to watch. I was always a Polian fan. Always liked Manning, back to his Tennessee days. LOVE Marvin Harrison. LOVE Dwight Freeney. (Yes, I'm a Syracuse fan, and the Colts have two other SU guys on the roster.) Love Tony Dungy. I like how they have been loyal to their best players. So yes, a few years ago, I adopted a second-favorite team.

I'll always be a Bills fan, but each loss stings less and less. I'll take responsibility for getting an interest in another franchise, but I have to think that some of this comes from the fact this organization has misfired more times than not. I don't see much reason for hope, and I'm usually an optimist.

513747[/snapback]

I've just become more angry with the stupidity of this team, coaching staff, and management who pretends that the lockerroom is full of rainbows.

Players don't want to play here but neither does management cut these losers! Coaches are freakin lost and should be fired.

There used to be time when we didn't lost at home.

513747[/snapback]

i'm with you 100%. i'm not making this up: for the first time in my LIFE i voluntarily did not watch the game today. i had so much work to do, and anyway it would have involved me driving across town to a buddy's house, so at 1:15 i just looked at the clock and said "ah, !@#$ it."

by 2:15 the curiosity was getting to me so i logged onto nfl.com and accessed that page where they show the results of each play as they happen. apparently, we got down into the red zone but a dumb(?) 15-yarder by willis made us settle for a field goal.

so i went back to work, only to get itchy again by the 4th quarter. it was 6-6. the bills settled for another FG, and there was 4 mins left. i told myself "self, you know carolina's going to march down the field and score the winning TD right NOW." how predictable, eh? so i go away for awhile and come back....and SHAZAM- it's 13-9.

then i made another amazing prediction. i said to myself, "self, the bills are NOT going to come back and win. they will probably turn the ball over before it ends."

and what do you know...

i realize that going 2-for-2 on bold predictions such as these makes me roughly TBD's 5186th official "master of the obvious." so i'm not bragging. i just wanted to point out, that after 35 years, i hate this team so bad i couldn't even be bothered to watch them !@#$ up yet another very winable game. this whole franchise is so !@#$ed up that i honestly don't care what they do. they have become little more than a waste of time money and emotional energy for me. i may or may not bother watching next week. we'll see.

meanwhile, go sabres. i know you'll also tear my heart out before it's over, but i guess i will just enjoy it while it lasts.

by the way, if you want to know what my next amazingly-bold-yet-dead-on prediction is, i will tell you now:

look for TD to say the bills are still in it, and just need to be more "consistent."

I'm from Buffalo, New York and I'll NEVER quit believing that someday this team will raise that trophy high and ALL OF US will shed a tear when that day comes! I find myself reaching for the free agency list and the draft newsletters wondering how they will take this team from mediocrity to contention! Can't help it!! I practically convince myself that the right moves will occur and next year is the ticket! The funny thing is if 2006 isn't the turn around I'm envisioning, there always is 2007 and so forth!  My feeling is that it CAN be done and I'll hang in there waiting for what I believe WILL HAPPEN! Call me crazy, but I'm Tivo'ing next week and for the rest of the year! IT'S BILLS FOOTBALL!!!! :blink:

513966[/snapback]

I'm with you...i will cry when that day comes.

I'm from Buffalo, New York and I'll NEVER quit believing that someday this team will raise that trophy high and ALL OF US will shed a tear when that day comes! I find myself reaching for the free agency list and the draft newsletters wondering how they will take this team from mediocrity to contention! Can't help it!! I practically convince myself that the right moves will occur and next year is the ticket! The funny thing is if 2006 isn't the turn around I'm envisioning, there always is 2007 and so forth!  My feeling is that it CAN be done and I'll hang in there waiting for what I believe WILL HAPPEN! Call me crazy, but I'm Tivo'ing next week and for the rest of the year! IT'S BILLS FOOTBALL!!!! :blink:

513966[/snapback]

I'm with you bro!! GO BILLS!!!!!111

This team is reminding me of the late 70s Bills and maybe the 84-85 teams. Not won-loss records, but level of interest, excitement, etc. Turned into a more devil may care attitude. I remember how that used to be, here it is again. Bills have no one but themselves to blame. Unlike those woebegone teams of the past, the stadium is still full.

Unlike those woebegone teams of the past, the stadium is still full.

514149[/snapback]

And that's the key...RW sits in his box, raincoat, tie, and baseball cap on, looks around, sees a stadium full of people while his offense is mustering a whole nine points, and thinks to himself, "I guess it ain't all bad."

I re-read "Relentless" a couple of weeks ago and there is a quote from Ralph in there that read, to the effect, that the Super Bowl was actually anti-climatic, that winnning the conference was what it was all about...more than 10 years following the last SB loss, I think that statement still speaks volumes. Settling for second-best, settling for mediocrity, seems to be the Bills' way.

And that's the key...RW sits in his box, raincoat, tie, and baseball cap on, looks around, sees a stadium full of people while his offense is mustering a whole nine points, and thinks to himself, "I guess it ain't all bad."

I re-read "Relentless" a couple of weeks ago and there is a quote from Ralph in there that read, to the effect, that the Super Bowl was actually anti-climatic, that winnning the conference was what it was all about...more than 10 years following the last SB loss, I think that statement still speaks volumes.  Settling for second-best, settling for mediocrity, seems to be the Bills' way.

514189[/snapback]

Sorry to sound crass, but I can't wait till the old man keels over.

At least then the team will either improve under new ownership or leave town. Either way, this yearly torture will cease.

Last night at dinner my wife asked if the Bills moved, would I still follow them. My responce was the NFL would be dead to me. I mean I might follow the big names and games, but follow more like I follow the NBA or baseball now, aware of whats going on, watching a few games etc.

Course her reponse was she hoped they moved then, cause she hates to see me when they lose.

We all like to say we are the best fans in the league yada yada yada, but do you think they are talking about boycotting in Green Bay.

We all like to say we are the best fans in the league yada yada yada, but do you think they are talking about boycotting in Green Bay.

514265[/snapback]

I have been consistently vocal that 'we' are not the sturdiest fans in the NFL....by far...at least when you start reading the "sky is falling" / "I have lost my passion" blah blah blah from some on this board.

Sure the Bills relatively suck right now, big deal....the NFL is a cycle. Have we not noticed that yet? :w00t:

For evidence, look at San Francisco (once consistent winners), look at Cincinnati (once consistent losers), heck look at Indianapolis (during the Bills prime they were pretty terrible)....

Right now, for the Bills, it is a down time - that will change. It is normal to become less dramatic during games knowing we are not that good....it appears some people are so fragile that they link their self worth to a Bills GAME. :blink:

Perspective people, perspective.

And if you jump off the Bills bandwagon now, we will leave room for you later. Being fickle is not a crime, only a sign of weakness. So when you get the courage to root for you team again, we will all be here to embrace you.

Being a fan of a team during the winning is easy, being a fan during the losing is a bit tougher. So you can respectfully bow out now if being a fan of a losing NFL team is too hard for you. We will welcome you back later. :)

I have been consistently vocal that 'we' are not the sturdiest fans in the NFL....by far...at least when you start reading the "sky is falling" / "I have lost my passion" blah blah blah from some on this board.

Sure the Bills relatively suck right now, big deal....the NFL is a cycle.  Have we not noticed that yet? :w00t:

For evidence, look at San Francisco (once consistent winners), look at Cincinnati (once consistent losers), heck look at Indianapolis (during the Bills prime they were pretty terrible)....

Right now, for the Bills, it is a down time - that will change.  It is normal to become less dramatic during games knowing we are not that good....it appears some people are so fragile that they link their self worth to a Bills GAME.  :blink: 

Perspective people, perspective.

And if you jump off the Bills bandwagon now, we will leave room for you later.  Being fickle is not a crime, only a sign of weakness.  So when you get the courage to root for you team again, we will all be here to embrace you.

Being a fan of a team during the winning is easy, being a fan during the losing is a bit tougher.  So you can respectfully bow out now if being a fan of a losing NFL team is too hard for you.  We will welcome you back later. :)

514320[/snapback]

I love the team, I just hate the cheap ownership.

It really is true that all Ralph cares about is asses in the seats.

I love the team, I just hate the cheap ownership.

It really is true that all Ralph cares about is asses in the seats.

514324[/snapback]

How can you possibly say this. Now, Ralph wasa cheap in the 80's, I'll grant you that. But everybody here seems to agree(not me) this team was in salary cap when when TD got here. That certainly cannot happen with a cheap owner. We`are not, to my knowledge, under the cap by a whole lot right now.

Explain how the man is cheap.Now you may say head coach, but I really think that is more TDs decision, made with Ralphs blessing.

My gut tells me TD is one of the higher paid GMs, or at the very least middle of the pack.

How can you possibly say this. Now, Ralph wasa cheap in the 80's, I'll grant you that. But everybody here seems to agree(not me) this team was in salary cap when when TD got here. That certainly cannot happen with a cheap owner. We`are not, to my knowledge, under the cap by a whole lot right now.

Explain how the man is cheap.Now you may say head coach, but I really think that is more TDs decision, made with Ralphs blessing.

My gut tells me TD is one of the higher paid GMs, or at the very least middle of the pack.

514372[/snapback]

GM and coach are the one area where there is literally NO limit.

Care to explain how we didn't get Weis, Crennel, Fox, Del Rio or Coughlin as coach?

You guys giving up on the team or ready to give up your fandom are the true losers, not the Bills. And this has nothing to do with thinking they stink, because they do.

514277[/snapback]

spot on...i'm with ya kelly

GO BILLS!

GM and coach are the one area where there is literally NO limit.

Care to explain how we didn't get Weis, Crennel, Fox, Del Rio or Coughlin as coach?

514381[/snapback]

Like I said, I believe that was more TDs decision than Ralphs. I tried looking up the salaries, but couldn't find a recent listing. I will tell you that I think Fox and Del Rio both get paid less than MM.

Now, am I saying TD made the right calls on the coach, no way. But I think that is driven more by his ego and the need to show he can unearth the "next great one", where Lewis, weiss, and Crennel were on everybodys radar. Wouldn't stroke the TD ego enough, know what I mean.

Like I said, I believe TD is well paid. Doesn't mean he was the right choice, just that hes getting paid well. I just do not believe that Ralph is cheap. Not so smart on a GM, maybe......cheap NO

I re-read "Relentless" a couple of weeks ago and there is a quote from Ralph in there that read, to the effect, that the Super Bowl was actually anti-climatic, that winnning the conference was what it was all about...more than 10 years following the last SB loss, I think that statement still speaks volumes.  Settling for second-best, settling for mediocrity, seems to be the Bills' way.

514189[/snapback]

Cause in that long ago era, Ralphie would look around and see 35,000 people at the game. But, he is not going to shaft Ahmad Rashad for 10 grand nowadays.

Like I said, I believe that was more TDs decision than Ralphs.

514400[/snapback]

People ought to keep in mind the whole fiasco of Ralph refusing to honor Wade Philips' contract a few years ago. I think that kind of shows that Ralph is still a penny pincher.

Dave, I have to concur with your thoughts.

For me, the emotion is gone from it - the Bills killed that off in week 4.

But I sit and watch, but without much emotion, and with very little FUN factor. You mean it's supposed to be FUN watching your favorite NFL team?! Oh, OK, great.

I find myself being grateful that Sunday Ticket let's me watch ALL the games, so I am able to pick and choose, find a good entertaining game to watch.

It's very sad.

It's sad when you don't even get mad at a loss anymore. The intensity level is going way down for me as well. Today I watched the game and had little emotion or passion. I expected them to lose and they did.

513904[/snapback]

It used to be that no matter the score or the circumstances you knew, just knew the Bills would pull it out.

Now, we get behind, and it's channel surfing.

You guys giving up on the team or ready to give up your fandom are the true losers, not the Bills. And this has nothing to do with thinking they stink, because they do.

514277[/snapback]

A-fricken-men......Buncha disloyal bandwagon jumpers.

GO BILLS!

A-fricken-men......Buncha disloyal bandwagon jumpers.

GO BILLS!

514709[/snapback]

True. When the going gets tough, only the seriously weak fans don't care anymore. I can't even comprehend being apathetic towards the Buffalo Bills. For all of those throwing in the towels, give us all a break and go away then. This IS a Bills message board after all. Wanna know what I don't care about? What other NFL organizations feel about the Buffalo Bills. F' them.