Surprised No Comment Yet

plenzmd1

Allright, so is Clements OC in charge of wacked trick plays. Guess for everyone calling for Clements head, this just shows maybe not his fault. Also, seems he starting calling plays the exact same week JP was benched, does that mean anything?

Guess it only means new OC next year eh?

Hopefully.

The one thing it also coincides with is a better commitment to the run game.

Didn't seem to have much effect on the occasional brain-dead play call.

After sitting through the Saints game, I would've been all in favor of firing Clements THAT NIGHT.

So yeah, I'm okay with Mularkey taking over, even though I can do without the attempts at trickeration. Then again, FB dives and QB sneak passes on fourth-and-short should tell us exactly how much confidence he has in his running game, shouldn't it?

Whoa Nellie....

If Malarkey is now calling the plays, it would seem logical that it's an indictment being handed down on the OC. But wait just a minute. If that's the case, what the hell is Sam Wyche jibber-jabbering about up in the spotters booth, and to whom is he doing the jibber-jabbering to. I woulda thunk that Sam is setting the table for the OC and telling him what he's seeing. If that's the case, doesn't that dictate what the play calls will be based on the game plan that was drawn up, and doesn't Malarkey sign off on the game plan as well as the entire offensive design?

I remember Jim Fassel taking over the play calling from Sean Peyton when he was with the Giants just a few seasons ago. He didn't end up firing him though and eventually Fassel was fired and Peyton ended up calling the plays for Bill Parcells in Dallas, as well as being a finalist for the Al Davis concierge derby, which, of course he turned down. Meanwhile Fassel was on the the Ravens as QB coach and then this year promoted to OC. Well, Fassel aint doing so hot and there's a good chance his HC and most of the staff is going to be getting a one way ticket out of Crabcakeville at the season's end.

So, from my perspective, in this case, I've got to suspect that Malarkey has some culpability here too... and a lot.

I'm happy about it. Truthfully, I've noticed a difference in the play calling, and I thought for the better. Granted there are still some braindead individual play calls. But overall I've been happier.

This really clears up a couple things in my mind. Including the connection between Clements and Temple.

I really believe the playcalling has been more stable. Nonwithstanding the weird ones. (Hell I LIKE some weird calls, but some of the timing has been...poor)

I also like that the head coach has shown patience but an not unlimited amount. He's willing to change things up when they've shown to not be working. Example of benching the highest paid and highest drafted player on our team for an undrafted second year player... Honestly, that's some cajones.

I also like that the head coach has shown patience but an not unlimited amount.   He's willing to change things up when they've shown to not be working.   Example of benching the highest paid and highest drafted player on our team for an undrafted second year player...   Honestly, that's some cajones.

506792[/snapback]

I agree on the cajones part. My overall "pissed off at em"ness has dropped considerably once this move was made. JP coming in, though no fault of theirs, was like the cake coming out of the oven. And the icing was seein the yound safeties getting some playing time

Bills | Mularkey takes over play-calling

Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:26:28 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills head coach Mike Mularkey has taken over primary play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Tom Clements.

Goodbye, Mr. Clements! :lol:

Per the article yesterday, MM started to call the majority of plays in week 6. Which, as memory serves, we started running the ball more consistently, rather than pass-pass-pass-punt. Not that it has been gleaming perfection since then, tho.

And, it begs the question whether this leak from the otherwise mute 1BD was the reason Clements rescinded his application to coach at Temple. B/c for an OC, that was tantamount to a public castration. Can't say it wasn't deserved; it just boggles the mind how we could go from the offense last year that ran the ball effectively and had fairly good/conservative-but-not-too-conservative playcalling, to the dreck Clements was calling early on.

Per the article yesterday, MM started to call the majority of plays in week 6. Which, as memory serves, we started running the ball more consistently, rather than pass-pass-pass-punt. Not that it has been gleaming perfection since then, tho.

And, it begs the question whether this leak from the otherwise mute 1BD was the reason Clements rescinded his application to coach at Temple. B/c for an OC, that was tantamount to a public castration. Can't say it wasn't deserved; it just boggles the mind how we could go from the offense last year that ran the ball effectively and had fairly good/conservative-but-not-too-conservative playcalling, to the dreck Clements was calling early on.

507142[/snapback]

I could care less who calls the plays, as long as it has something to do with our strengths attacking their weaknesses, for all i care we could just use the "ask madden" option in 2006 if it gets the job done. I don't know how a team with a rookie QB runs so many mind boggling plays.

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills head coach Mike Mularkey has taken over primary play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Tom Clements.

Goodbye, Mr. Clements!  :lol:

507139[/snapback]

Could be goodbye Mr. Mularkey

507157[/snapback]

As much as I question Mularkey's choices sometimes, I respect him more than I ever respected GW, I think he will be a good coach one day, doesnt seem to give up as his job is really not as easy as many armchair gm's make it sound

As much as I question Mularkey's choices sometimes, I respect him more than I ever respected GW, I think he will be a good coach one day, doesnt seem to give up as his job is really not as easy as many armchair gm's make it sound

507161[/snapback]

What?! All you need to do is win every game....what's so tough about that?

:lol:

507157[/snapback]

Not that Mularky is a great coach by any means, but he currently is in possession of a winning record with the Bills. It's hard to get rid of a guy with a winning record when the team has been stuck in the quagmire for the past 5-6 years.

Goodbye, Mr. Clements!  0:)

507139[/snapback]

This move should've been made last year.

Lets recount:

1997: Dan Henning

1998-2000: Joe Pendry

2001: Mike Sheppard

2002-2003: Killdrive

2004-2005: Clements

We go thru Offensive Coordinators faster than Kirk goes thru guys in red shirts, yet the offense continues to struggle. Maybe its not the guy at the top, but the guys in the trenches?

They could hire Christ himself on a Ritz cracker as OC. But it would be like putting Patton in charge of the French Army

Whoa Nellie....

If Malarkey is now calling the plays, it would seem logical that it's an indictment being handed down on the OC.  But wait just a minute.  If that's the case, what the hell is Sam Wyche jibber-jabbering about up in the spotters booth, and to whom is he doing the jibber-jabbering to.  I woulda thunk that Sam is setting the table for the OC and telling him what he's seeing.  If that's the case, doesn't that dictate what the play calls will be based on the game plan that was drawn up, and doesn't Malarkey sign off on the game plan as well as the entire offensive design?

I remember Jim Fassel taking over the play calling from Sean Peyton when he was with the Giants just a few seasons ago.  He didn't end up firing him though and eventually Fassel was fired and Peyton ended up calling the plays for Bill Parcells in Dallas, as well as being a finalist for the Al Davis concierge derby, which, of course he turned down.  Meanwhile Fassel was on the the Ravens as QB coach and then this year promoted to OC.  Well, Fassel aint doing so hot and there's a good chance his HC and most of the staff is going to be getting a one way ticket out of Crabcakeville at the season's end.

So, from my perspective, in this case, I've got to suspect that Malarkey has some culpability here too... and a lot.

506685[/snapback]

Al Davis concierge derby??? 0:):blink: