Will Carroll says...

Coach Tuesday

Will Carroll is always a great read on sports and especially sports injuries - simply put, the guy knows what he's talking about. From Football Outsiders:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/11/1...-and-blue/3223/

If you’ve been reading this column, you’ll know just how seriously I take concussions. While there’s no such thing as a mild concussion, there are certainly serious concussions and Kelly Holcomb was on the business end of one last week. One of the risks of playing QB, standing there as a target as speedy giants rush at you with bad intentions, is that your head is only protected by a thin plastic shell and faith in Ridell. (Think about this next time you say Otto Graham isn’t the best QB in NFL history.) Holcomb lost consciousness for a “significant time” and should miss the same – significant time. Updates on Holcomb’s status have been notably quiet, so watch this one closely. Without more information, err on the side of caution, even if Holcomb escaped without post-concussive symptoms like balance problems or nausea.

I think he's right - and I think we'll see Losman play the next few, if not the remainder of the season.

I think he's right - and I think we'll see Losman play the next few, if not the remainder of the season.

505133[/snapback]

If Losman starts the next two games there's no reason not to start him the rest of the way. If he helps the team win some games and keeps them in the playoff hunt how could the coaching staff bench him when Holcomb comes back? If the team loses some games and is pretty much out of playoff contention what use is it to put Holcomb back in?

Unless Losman gets hurt I’m guessing we see him start the rest of the way.

If Losman starts the next two games there's no reason not to start him the rest of the way.  If he helps the team win some games and keeps them in the playoff hunt how could the coaching staff bench him when Holcomb comes back?

505172[/snapback]

Well, considering the next two are at San Diego and at home against Carolina (who pummeled Tampa in Tampa), it's hard to see us in playoff shape if Kelly is healthy in three weeks.

Not that I disagree with you, or anything.

Well, considering the next two are at San Diego and at home against Carolina (who pummeled Tampa in Tampa), it's hard to see us in playoff shape if Kelly is healthy in three weeks.

505195[/snapback]

Right - it's perhaps equally hard to justify starting a guy with a concussion against perhaps the two best front-sevens in the League, with a sieve o-line in front of him... might as well go with the healthy guy who can run for his life...

505195[/snapback]

We will split those games. That's my felling. (Oh, God, we're doomed.)

The guy writes as if KH is going to be starting for the Bills again. That only happens if JP is injured. JP is the QB, win or lose, for the rest of the year. If we win, we ride the hot hand. If we lose, then the playoff chase is over and it's time for JP to prepare for 2006. Kelly Holcomb can relax and take all the time he needs to recuperate. Don't forget we have Shane Matthews ready to step in if KH is not ready.

PTR

505195[/snapback]

The Cats caught the Bucs at the right time. SIMS FIRST START. They also had some breaks early on and just pounced on the Bucs as a good team should (which they are).

i don't think KH will really be "missing" the playing time.

he looked drunk against KC, that fake sneak lateral thing on 4th and 1, he just stood there and looked right.

oh well, he'll be there to back up when we need him again

i don't think KH will really be "missing" the playing time.

he looked drunk against KC, that fake sneak lateral thing on 4th and 1, he just stood there and looked right.

oh well, he'll be there to back up when we need him again

505392[/snapback]

He looked left actually, and if he threw that pass we wouldn't be talking about wtf was that play call we'd be talking about wtf did holcomb throw that pass and allow kc to pick it off and run for a easy 7 points. Similar to a pass Bledsoe threw against the ravens last year that deion took for 7. In that situation you run your 230lb tailback right up the gut. That's the reason you have him. Mularkey and Clements are too gadgety for their own good.

In relation to the article I hope Holcomb turns out to be ok and suffer no ill effects. However it's time to play the kid.

505195[/snapback]

Don't forget that Carolina will be playing their second road game in a row after the bears soften them up for the bills ............it should be much closer than we expect!

505195[/snapback]

Tampa sucks versus Carolina almost as Vick sucks against STDs

Mularkey said he will name a starter for Sunday on Friday Afternoon. If Holcomb is messed up, why keep it a secret? Almost every Bills fan wants JP in there. Just name him the starter and be done with it. Bills treat their fans like crap while trying to trick the opponent. Neither works.

Mularkey said he will name a starter for Sunday on Friday Afternoon. If Holcomb is messed up, why keep it a secret? Almost every Bills fan wants JP in there. Just name him the starter and be done with it. Bills treat their fans like crap while trying to trick the opponent. Neither works.

505477[/snapback]

Why do you need to know so badly?

Bills treat their fans like crap while trying to trick the opponent. Neither works.

What a load of garbage. If you equate not knowing until Friday who the starter is in a road game to being treated like crap, then you are one spoiled rotten individual.

And if you think that opposing co-ordinators don't have to gameplan differently for a slow-footed, quick-releasing veteran then they do for a fleetoffooted, rocket-armed youngster who tends to hold the ball then you simply have no idea what is involved in preparing for an opponent.

Here is the scoop...

The window of opportunity for JP has just opened as wide as a hole up the middle of the Bills defense. He is the the Bills starting QB, period!!! The job is now his to lose.

Personally, I don't buy the "Holcomb to miss significant time" spin. Yeah, he got dinged and had a concussion and probably shouldn't start this week. But, as far as how serious his injury is, we'll know that Sunday. If he's dinged that bad, he's either not in uniform, or, he's listed as the 3rd QB this week. I believe the coaches were looking for the opportunity to work JP back in, but careful not to outright bench Holcomb, because, afterall, he wasn't performing bad enough to warrant that. To bench Holcomb, JP would have needed to demonstrate, in a game, that he's ready for prime time and could provide a significant upgrade over Holcomb. I believe he did that on Sun.

He looked left actually, and if he threw that pass we wouldn't be talking about wtf was that play call we'd be talking about wtf  did holcomb throw that pass and allow kc to pick it off and run for a easy 7 points. Similar to a pass Bledsoe threw against the ravens last year that deion took for 7.  In that situation you run your 230lb tailback right up the gut. That's the reason you have him.  Mularkey and Clements are too gadgety for their own good.

In relation to the article I hope Holcomb turns out to be ok and suffer no ill effects. However it's time to play the kid.

505434[/snapback]

I've watched that play many times, and I'm pretty sure it was the Burger King that picked him off.

505477[/snapback]

Is JP on your fantasy team or something?