Is Willis Mcgahee our RB of the future

RVJ

Im not nearly as smitten with Willis as most Bills fans are. I read these boards and watch WM and wonder what I am missing. Honestly, he seems decent but not great. If Willis and his agent think so highly of themselves than so be it. I would gladly trade him for a great OLineman or high draft pick(s) to get linemen. Then, search for a serviceable rb. It's all about the offensive line not the RB

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great. So typical of the lunacy here. If a player isn't the best player to ever play at his position (and all the national media annoint him as such), then he must go because the grass is always greener elsewhere. Is WM the best running back in the league - NO. Is he currently one of the top backs, cetainly top 10, - YES. There's no way you cut him. You can't build a Superbowl team if you're always cutting your better players. We had "average" or "serviceable" running backs - Travis and Smith come to mind. But we cut them too. All NE did was take Smith and win a Superbowl. We definitely need to upgrade the Oline for WM to achieve all he's capable of. But if you cut WM and then build the line, what do you have? A great line and no running back. So then everyone is posting about how great we'd be if we could finally get a decent back. Stop the insanity. Keep the good players - at all costs. Replace the crappy ones and watch us win. It always amazes me how everyone blames Ralph and TD for not spending enough money on this position or that one or on a coach, but then when we have a player, playing in his prime, with top 5 stats - noone wants to pay him enough money to keep him.

And all this talk about top backs, please. WM is in his second year and is already producing top 5 numbers. He could easily have another 5 or 6 years with this production. That's one heck of a good investment. I'd take that over a 1 year flash in the pan like Lewis any day of the week. Bottom line WM is currently, and for the fore seeable future a ttop 5 running back. Keep him and move on to another position to upgrade. Simple as that.

This is great.  So typical of the lunacy here.  If a player isn't the best player to ever play at his position (and all the national media annoint him as such), then he must go because the grass is always greener elsewhere.

507110[/snapback]

Great post and reflects my sentiments exactly. I say the same about MW also - though not popular on this board, I firmly believe we should keep him if he restructures his contract. Also keep EM and NC. Same logic.

This is great.  So typical of the lunacy here.  If a player isn't the best player to ever play at his position (and all the national media annoint him as such), then he must go because the grass is always greener elsewhere.  Is WM the best running back in the league - NO.  Is he currently one of the top backs, cetainly top 10, - YES.  There's no way you cut him.  You can't build a Superbowl team if you're always cutting your better players.  We had "average" or "serviceable" running backs - Travis and Smith come to mind.  But we cut them too.  All NE did was take Smith and win a Superbowl.  We definitely need to upgrade the Oline for WM to achieve all he's capable of.  But if you cut WM and then build the line, what do you have?  A great line and no running back.  So then everyone is posting about how great we'd be if we could finally get a decent back.  Stop the insanity.  Keep the good players - at all costs.  Replace the crappy ones and watch us win.  It always amazes me how everyone blames Ralph and TD for not spending enough money on this position or that one or on a coach, but then when we have a player, playing in his prime, with top 5 stats - noone wants to pay him enough money to keep him. 

And all this talk about top backs, please.  WM is in his second year and is already producing top 5 numbers.  He could easily have another 5 or 6 years with this production.  That's one heck of a good investment.  I'd take that over a 1 year flash in the pan like Lewis any day of the week.  Bottom line WM is currently, and for the fore seeable future a ttop 5 running back.  Keep him and move on to another position to upgrade.  Simple as that.

507110[/snapback]

You are exactly correct.

Im not saying we get rid of WM. I guess what Im saying is that I put more value on OLinemen than RB's. I think you can win with a average RB and good OLine but you cant win with a good or even great RB and a weak Oline. Antoine Smith and the Pats are a good example of this. I look at qb's the same way. Some of the qb's that have won SB's in the past are average at best as well. Still not saying we should get rid of WM just that if demands became too expensive I would have no problem losing him as long as the money saved was allocated to the lines. JHMO

I know we have a bad offensive line. But WM looks so slow sometimes. And he

doesn't go all out driving for those extra yards. It seems that he picks and chooses

his spots. Sometimes I think he is holding back to prevent injury. In other words

he looks like he wants out of Buffalo when his contracts up. I would like to have

another top notch RB on the roster. This way we can put some presssue on Willis.

503461[/snapback]

I agree. I hope the Bills trade up and get Reggie Bush.

:lol:

Mike Alstott -Decent? He was a PROBOWL Player every year untill 2003 when he broke his neck! This year ( His last), he has 4 TD's I would not be surprised to see him get 6 more. He has had not a decent, but great career and will most likley be in the HOF. I will tell you, he is beloved here in Tampa. Great idea about Williams, God knows he can't play on the line, just give him the damn ball. :lol:

507055[/snapback]

HoF? Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Im not nearly as smitten with Willis as most Bills fans are. I read these boards and watch WM and wonder what I am missing. Honestly, he seems decent but not great. If Willis and his agent think so highly of themselves than so be it. I would gladly trade him for a great OLineman or high draft pick(s) to get linemen. Then, search for a serviceable rb. It's all about the offensive line not the RB

507069[/snapback]

Right on.

This is great.  So typical of the lunacy here.  If a player isn't the best player to ever play at his position (and all the national media annoint him as such), then he must go because the grass is always greener elsewhere.  Is WM the best running back in the league - NO.  Is he currently one of the top backs, cetainly top 10, - YES.  There's no way you cut him.  You can't build a Superbowl team if you're always cutting your better players.  We had "average" or "serviceable" running backs - Travis and Smith come to mind.  But we cut them too.  All NE did was take Smith and win a Superbowl.  We definitely need to upgrade the Oline for WM to achieve all he's capable of.  But if you cut WM and then build the line, what do you have?  A great line and no running back.  So then everyone is posting about how great we'd be if we could finally get a decent back.  Stop the insanity.  Keep the good players - at all costs.  Replace the crappy ones and watch us win.  It always amazes me how everyone blames Ralph and TD for not spending enough money on this position or that one or on a coach, but then when we have a player, playing in his prime, with top 5 stats - noone wants to pay him enough money to keep him. 

And all this talk about top backs, please.  WM is in his second year and is already producing top 5 numbers.  He could easily have another 5 or 6 years with this production.  That's one heck of a good investment.  I'd take that over a 1 year flash in the pan like Lewis any day of the week.  Bottom line WM is currently, and for the fore seeable future a ttop 5 running back.  Keep him and move on to another position to upgrade.  Simple as that.

507110[/snapback]

Great o-lines make average running backs look great...see: BRONCOS, Denver.

HoF?  Hahahahahahahahahahaha

507240[/snapback]

Thank you. You could go on a number of team boards and rip a fan fave and get ripped right back by posters. I guess forgot that being a fan favorite = HOF career.

507240[/snapback]

I'm not a big fan of Alstott either but given the fact that he has been listed as a FB his entire career (despite not actually playing that position for most of it) there's a chance some moronic writers will look at his numbers and say, "those are great numbers for a FB" and vote him in. Sadly, it's really not that far fetched.

507240[/snapback]

Unbelievable how warped some people are re: their views on players. Alstott won pro bowl status cuz this is not a fullback league anymore. He was a slight bit better than the other mediocre fullbacks.

Alstott played alongside Warric Dunn for much of his carrer, much like Czonka & Kicck. It is easy to dismiss someone you have never seen play much, I understand that, but you are just showing your own ignorence doing so. There is a reason Mike is a fan favorite, he always gives 100% effort, gets the job done and is a team player. Another thing most people like about him is he is humble, not a me me all about me like TO or WM. When he goes in the HOF it will be because he was a GREAT PLAYER, made the probowl from his rookie year untill he broke his neck, set numerous records, and won a Superbowl.

Alstott played alongside Warric Dunn for much of his carrer, much like Czonka & Kicck. It is easy to dismiss someone you have never seen play much, I understand that, but you are just showing your own ignorence doing so. There is a reason Mike is a fan favorite, he always gives 100% effort, gets the job done and is a team player. Another thing most people like about him is he is humble, not a me me all about me like TO or WM. When he goes in the HOF it will be because he was a GREAT PLAYER, made the probowl from his rookie year untill he broke his neck, set numerous records, and won a Superbowl.

507366[/snapback]

OF COURSE HE'S NOT A ME/ME PLAYER HE'S A FRIGGEN FULLBACK... 0:)

507366[/snapback]

Alstott is a decent player, but I wouldn't confuse him with John Riggins, Jim Nance, Matt Snell, Franco Harris, Daryl Johnson etc.