MM/TC and gadget plays

Jukester

Great win today but the play calling is still a little baffling. Mularkey and Clemens love the trick plays and it annoys me to no end when they use them at the worst times, as they did today.

3rd and ten - flea flicker called - aborted by McGahee when pass rusher closing in on KH - any point in this call?

4th and 1 - fake qb sneak with a pass called to McGahee 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage - KH sacked. Are you kidding me!?

Seems these types of plays have always been drive killers this year.

I was flipping out when they called that play.

Im so sick of Mularkeys cute playcalling on big downs in the football game.

4th and inches, just !@#$ing run McGahee up the gut.....Stop being so damn fancy.

501656[/snapback]

Exactly. Not only is the call idiotic, it sends a message to the OL and the rest of the team how little confidence MM has in this offense. Just about the exact opposite of what Vermeil did last week.

Some opinions from the game thread today:

WTF was that 4 and inches call?

WTF?

WTF?

WTF?

501200[/snapback]

A HORRIBLE CALL

501201[/snapback]

wow...speechless.

501203[/snapback]

4th and 1 from the 50 - splat...hmm, seems familiar. :blink:

501204[/snapback]

I am SOOOO glad I did not pay to see this today....

ARG

501205[/snapback]

YOU HAVE A 230 POUND BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

501206[/snapback]

get him and mularkey out of here

501209[/snapback]

Our coaching staff is a joke!

WTF are they doing calling plays like that?

501215[/snapback]

They used that dumb flip the ball back to McGahee 4th down play last year in Seattle. I think it went for a TD. KC did not commit like Seattle did. KH should have audibled out of it. And they never should have called that play to begin with!

4th and 1 - fake qb sneak with a pass called to McGahee 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage - KH sacked.  Are you kidding me!?

501649[/snapback]

What, you didn't like the artistic brilliance of the fake QB sneak option pass on 4th and inches for a seven yard loss? Why? Maybe you want to run the ball, you philistine? How DARE you question, you heretic, the genius of Tom Clements in running a fake QB sneak option pass for a seven yard loss on fourth and inches! Tom Clements, Super Genius, has forgotten more about the game than a festering pustule of ignorance such as yourself has ever known...

...including, it seems, how to run for a first down on 4th and inches. A fake QB sneak option pass on 4th and inches that loses seven yards? What the !@#$? :blink:

Great win today but the play calling is still a little baffling.   Mularkey and Clemens love the trick plays and it annoys me to no end when they use them at the worst times, as they did today.  

3rd and ten - flea flicker called - aborted by McGahee when pass rusher closing in on KH - any point in this call?

4th and 1 - fake qb sneak with a pass called to McGahee 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage - KH sacked.  Are you kidding me!?

Seems these types of plays have always been drive killers this year.

501649[/snapback]

On that failed flea flicker, Aiken was 40 yards downfield all alone. Willis was right to eat it. The Chiefs were in on Holcomb.

I hate the trick plays because we execute them so poorly.

not only are all those gadgets sh--, we also:

-- put in MW when he is hurt and at a new position. wtf kind of idea is that?

-- run WR screens WITH NO BLOCKING, which is more of just a bad pass

-- a lack of running attempts (when we throw on 1st downs we tend to stumble)

-- play action passes anyone???!?!?!? we did them against NE, worked, against KC, we did none. i swear we play action less than any team who had a top 5 back in NFL history

I was flipping out when they called that play.

Im so sick of Mularkeys cute playcalling on big downs in the football game.

4th and inches, just !@#$ing run McGahee up the gut.....Stop being so damn fancy.

501656[/snapback]

I was yelling so loud at the TV after that play that my wife started crying, she thought I was yelling at her. That had to be the dumbest call ever.

What really gets me mad is that these morons make it a point to get 3-5 of these stupid plays in every week but they don't make it a point to focus on the things that will win them the game, like RUNNING THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong.  Mike Martz' Rams with Marshall Faulk.  But in a strange coincidence, both coaches are named Mike, have the initials M.M., and piss me off on a regular basis.

501949[/snapback]

I love it when the Sports Guy makes up odds for "which Mike gets fired first". The standings now look like this:

Tice

Sherman

Holmgren

Mularkey

Shannahan

Does Martz count? Has he officially been fired yet? Can we get an official ruling on this?

Everyone loved that call last year when it worked...

501662[/snapback]

Not everyone. I was adamant they used it at the wrong time last year. If I remember correctly, they were already up by a couple of TDs, while i liked the execution and design of the play, hated the timing. Thought they could have saved it for a more critical time.

Oh and lets not forget it was close to the end of the 3rd qtr and at the seatle 30ish yd line(im going off memory on those) as opposed to 14 minutes to go in the second on your own 40!

I hated the call last year against Pittsburgh when it didn't work too.

Regardless it was a bad call, but Holcomb didn't sell the sneak at all. Bledsoe would act like he was moving toward the line of scrimage get everyone to commit and then toss the ball out. Holcomb just kind of hugged the ball and then threw it out. No one was fooled. However, the ball was happy that it got a hug.

I hated the call last year against Pittsburgh when it didn't work too.

Regardless it was a bad call, but Holcomb didn't sell the sneak at all.  Bledsoe would act like he was moving toward the line of scrimage get everyone to commit and then toss the ball out.  Holcomb just kind of hugged the ball and then threw it out.  No one was fooled. However, the ball was happy that it got a hug.

502462[/snapback]

LOLOLOL

Everyone loved that call last year when it worked...

501662[/snapback]

Funny, isn't it. When the players execute, the coaches are geniuses. When the players don't, the coaches are idiots.

4th and 1, they hand it to Willis and get stuffed, the play calling is too predicatable.

4th and 1, they try a pass that falls incomplete, take a sack, or throw an INT, and they should have run it.

Try a FG, it's missed, and they should have gone for it.

Yeah, second-guessing never gets old. :rolleyes:

Funny, isn't it.  When the players execute, the coaches are geniuses.  When the players don't, the coaches are idiots.

4th and 1, they hand it to Willis and get stuffed, the play calling is too predicatable. 

4th and 1, they try a pass that falls incomplete, take a sack, or throw an INT, and they should have run it.

Try a FG, it's missed, and they should have gone for it.

Yeah, second-guessing never gets old.  :lol:

502725[/snapback]

Yes, there are those who will find fault with anything and find a way to criticize everything (me, for example :unsure: )...but on 4th and inches why not give your team the best chance to make the play by giving the players a play that isn't a nightmare to execute? Put the players in a position to succeed...not fail.

If the Bills went with a solid dive on that play, I would have been happy with the call regardless of the outcome. Of course, it would have been the biggest surprise play of the year, as well. A running play on 3rd or 4th and short...THAT'S the real trick play for this team.

On that failed flea flicker, Aiken was 40 yards downfield all alone. Willis was right to eat it. The Chiefs were in on Holcomb.

I hate the trick plays because we execute them so poorly.

501873[/snapback]

When I saw this play i mentioned Willis has a good head on his shoulders. If he would have blindly flipped it back to Holcomb, it would have been a sack or fumble. At least we got about 3 yards on it.