The 2006 Bills Offensive Line

Mikie2times

I don't like the idea of Jason Peters at RT because you want your offensive linemen to be smart. While Peters has abundant physical talent, the I.Q. just isn't there.

Nor am I crazy about the idea of moving Mike Williams over to LT. The man is a prototypical RT: very big and powerful, but less than ideal for stopping edge rushers.

Geisinger may be a solution at offensive guard, at least according to LaDairis's convincing posts in this thread:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...35entry494235

The Bills shouldn't be afraid to franchise and trade Clements to get an extra pick or two. They should really focus hard on improving both the offensive and defensive lines during the draft. No, this doesn't mean that I want TD to use a 2nd round pick on another white, high motor DE.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the cap hit the Bills take for cutting Williams would be intolerable. My line in 2006 would be LT - Peters, LG - Gandy, C - Preston, RG Villarial, RT - Williams. It hink the Bills can get rid of Teague next season. I would keep Beefy Anderson as my guard backup. Geisinger may be a seviceable backup by next year, though he was very disappointing in training camp this year. They may need to find backups for center and tackle.

I think the cap hit the Bills take for cutting Williams would be intolerable.  My line in 2006 would be LT - Peters, LG - Gandy, C - Preston, RG Villarial, RT - Williams.  It hink the Bills can get rid of Teague next season.  I would keep Beefy Anderson as my guard backup.  Geisinger may be a seviceable backup by next year, though he was very disappointing in training camp this year.  They may need to find backups for center and tackle.

494298[/snapback]

Mike Williams cap hit would be $5,453,333 if cut after June 1. It would be over $7million if cut before then. I wish this board would quit throwing out scenerios where we cut big Mike because there is no way that happens. Any line talk for the 2006 Bills includes Mike Williams

I don't like the idea of Jason Peters at RT because you want your offensive linemen to be smart. While Peters has abundant physical talent, the I.Q. just isn't there.

Nor am I crazy about the idea of moving Mike Williams over to LT. The man is a prototypical RT: very big and powerful, but less than ideal for stopping edge rushers.

Geisinger may be a solution at offensive guard, at least according to LaDairis's convincing posts in this thread:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...35entry494235

The Bills shouldn't be afraid to franchise and trade Clements to get an extra pick or two. They should really focus hard on improving both the offensive and defensive lines during the draft. No, this doesn't mean that I want TD to use a 2nd round pick on another white, high motor DE.

494275[/snapback]

I think people are blowing Peters wonderlic out of proportion. Sure he's dumb as rocks, but if he's physically able to play LT we should move on it. Besides did the wonderlic ask any questions like who to pick up on a stunt, or a blitz? Some people possess certain types of smarts, obviously the book smarts went bye bye to Peters awhile ago, but that is no guarantee that he can't process information on the field.

Duke Preston will not play guard next year. He's our C designate and will play C next year.

Teague will be gone - and I think we're seeing a very shaky season for Chris V that could spell his demise.

As a curveball I think our OL next year looks like this (probably different to my previous ideas but who cares?) and backups in brackets:

Peters - Anderson - Preston - Gandy - Williams

(Draft/FA) - (Geisinger) - (Draft) - (Villareal) - (Jerman)

Bentley would be great, but look for jonathon ogden to be released, he is highly overpaid and has trouble with speed rushers. I think he has several years of great football left. As for the interior of our line, Duke is the future at center, hopefully he can build on what he has done so far this year. At the moment our weakest position is LG, the Anderson pick up makes no sense now. I think Gandy would be able to fill that spot if we can't find someone in the draft.

I feel we have to address the OL in this years draft.

so this is my line

Ogden

Gandy/draft pick

Duke

CV-or anderson (he has to make a better RG than LG I hope)

Williams

I'm missing something here.  Does Williams' paycheck get in TT's way when he tries to block?  Perhaps if Mike made less $, Bennie would be a better player...is that what you're getting at?

Or do you think there's a cap on the OL salary?

Perhaps you're highjacking the thread, ignoring a perfectly resonable post and question to take a shot at MW.  Well, I guess I can appreciate the whole cheap-shot thing.

493864[/snapback]

No hijacking here. Cheap shot - Hell yes. Well, that is if $6 million a year is considered cheap.

I will never agree with you if you think MW is a great value at the price we're paying.

I forget, did they ever even try him at LT? They certainly tried most of the rest of the current line there. Why not big Mike? Slow learner? I thought that was the rap on Jason.

Do I think the rest of the line pretty much sucks - yes.

Do I think TD has a certain amount of money slotted for the OL - yes.

Anderson shouldn't be on next year's team - even in a backup role.

I think MW's paycheck gets in the way of TD signing better linemen than the dregs he's brought here so far.

Now, one could argue we were cursed with that #4 pick that brought MW here and he was the best positional player available and we had to pay the big bucks to whomever we drafted there - or move on down with a trade. That's a different argument. I'll stick to my premise. TD has a bucket of money set aside for all positions - not just the OLine. And it's our misfortune that Mike Williams has been given the majority of it. The only "way out" now is to give him a six-or-so year extension that brings his $ down to a more reasonable $3m/yr. That would free up about $3m/yr and allow TD to go "shopping" for some of the fine players of his choosing.

I've watched Wonderlics for years and I've come to one conclusion: You need more data to properly judge a players intelligence than just his score on the Wonderlic. Some problems that exist are that some of the real low scores are caused by players blowing off the test or some minor reading disabilty that shows up on a test like the Wonderlic, but has no effect on the player's intelligence or abilty to learn plays. An example of a guy with a false low Wonderlic is Randy thomas who had a single digit Wonderlic but was an honor student & graduated from college-he just didn't want to waste his time on the wonderlic.

Also, some high scores are suspect due to training for the test. Some agents coach their guys to get them higher scores. Two examples are Akili Smith & JP. Both scored low the 1st time they took the test and then got over 30 the next time. JP made up some lame excuse that he had to pee when he took it the 1st time.

So, to call Peters dumb based on his Wonderlic may be totally inaccurate.

I've watched Wonderlics for years and I've come to one conclusion:  You need more data to properly judge a players intelligence than just his score on the Wonderlic.  Some problems that exist are that some of the real low scores are caused by players blowing off the test or some minor reading disabilty that shows up on a test like the Wonderlic, but has no effect on the player's intelligence or abilty to learn plays.  An example of a guy with a false low Wonderlic is Randy thomas who had a single digit Wonderlic but was an honor student & graduated from college-he just didn't want to waste his time on the wonderlic.

Also, some high scores are suspect due to training for the test.  Some agents coach their guys to get them higher scores.  Two examples are Akili Smith & JP.  Both scored low the 1st time they took the test and then got over 30 the next time.  JP made up some lame excuse that he had to pee when he took it the 1st time.

So, to call Peters dumb based on his Wonderlic may be totally inaccurate.

494331[/snapback]

But....but......the Wonderlic score tells all! All hail the Wonderlic!

But....but......the Wonderlic score tells all!  All hail the Wonderlic!

494343[/snapback]

Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!) had a perfect score on the Wonderlic, and wrote a 1600 on the SAT in one try. In fact, he finished the entire test in 30 minutes.

My Ivy League daughter is pretty bright, but she is a virtual idiot compared to Tedy.

I agree we won't re-sign Teague but can't see why we would spend the money on Bentley when we have our C of the future already on the roster in the form of Duke Preston. If Jason Peters was better than Mike Gandy he would be starting ahead of him this year not next year.

I'm not impressed with Bennie Anderson but Mike Gandy has been better then I thought he be but still think we need a position upgrade for each though we might not have the funds to do so. With that all said, I would use our top selection on the best Left OT available. I think that would be Eric Winston out of the U (of Miami). I wouldn't be against taking an OG prospect with the second of our two 3rd Rounders. A guy like Aaron Lips might be worth looking at.

and at looking at 2006, I'd go with:

LT Eric Winston/Mike Gandy

LG Bennie Anderson/Aaron Lips

OC Duke Preston/Cheap Veteran FA

RG Chris Villarriall/Justin Geisinger

RT Mike Williams/Veteran FA/Jason Peters

Did anyone else actually WATCH Villareal on Sunday night? He played his best game as a Bill, in my opinion. He was dominant in the run game and mistake-free in the passing game. If he continues to play like that, I don't see why he wouldn't be an integral part of our plans next season.

I agree Coach, Villy is a tough, gritty player who has struggled with some injuries this year. We need more like him. Last year, he was our best OL.

I think the right side is set with MW & Villy, they were very good last year and have simply been injured this season. I think Preston will be our C. The left side, however, is a disaster.

Anderson/Gandy take way too many penalties and are simply not adequate. They are both backup material. I hope Geisinger can be the answer, much like Chris Snee was for the Giants. I am very encouraged by the write-up in this thread. I'd love to see Peters work out, as LTs are very expensive and I hope we use our 1st rounder on a run-stuffing DT. Otherwise we may have to sign a LT.

Damn, going into the 06 offseason our biggest needs are run-stuffing DT and LT. Didn't we have a couple of guys doing a decent job there back in 04? Just wondering.

I think people are blowing Peters wonderlic out of proportion. Sure he's dumb as rocks, but if he's physically able to play LT we should move on it. Besides did the wonderlic ask any questions like who to pick up on a stunt, or a blitz? Some people possess certain types of smarts, obviously the book smarts went bye bye to Peters awhile ago, but that is no guarantee that he can't process information on the field.

494303[/snapback]

Peters will be fine.

He is an athlete that can matchup with elite pass rushers.

It's not like our RT has cornered the market on gray matter.

Fat Mike sure can't figure out the blitz pick-ups and he has 4 years of NFL experience.

Did anyone else actually WATCH Villareal on Sunday night?  He played his best game as a Bill, in my opinion.  He was dominant in the run game and mistake-free in the passing game.  If he continues to play like that, I don't see why he wouldn't be an integral part of our plans next season.

494356[/snapback]

That's what I thought, too. When both CV and MW are healthy, they're above average.

I'd be OK with this starting OL in 2006: Peters - Gandy - Preston - CV - MW.

But I'd prefer: Day 1 draft pick - Day 1 draft pick - Preston - CV - MW.

Either way, as long as Anderson and Teague are no longer starting.

Did you mean to spell it 'Ben Sobruschi'...? You know, the guy who had been on college IR for 2 years and now pro IR for 3 straight years but who is on the brink of making a huge comeback in 2006??? Can you just hear the Nickelback song playing in the background right now? I can.

Oh, BTW you left out Jamie Nails, Marcus Spriggs, Corey Louchiey, Robert Hicks, and of course, Mike Rockwood. What gives, man?

493826[/snapback]

Marcus Spriggs was alright that one season he came in and played RT tackle for us.

That's what I thought, too. When both CV and MW are healthy, they're above average.

I'd be OK with this starting OL in 2006: Peters - Gandy - Preston - CV - MW.

But I'd prefer: Day 1 draft pick - Day 1 draft pick - Preston - CV - MW.

Either way, as long as Anderson and Teague are no longer starting.

494440[/snapback]

Starting 2 rooks on the left side of the line doesnt exactly inspire confidence in me...but then again benny anderson sure as hell doesnt, so maybe thats the way to go...