Why the switch was made at QB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sunday morning local pregame shows were loaded with peoples opinion on why JP was replaced with Holcomb. I believe it was becuase of the records of the rest of the AFC East. Miami  was 2-1 and the Pats were 2-2 and the Bills and Jets stood at 1-3. The Bills were not out of the race for first. So the Bills made the switch at QB. I honestly feel if the Pats were 4-0 there would not have been a change. The chance at a division title would have been dismissed and the Bills would have gone with the learning curve excuse and let JP gain valuable playing experience.

Im really torn here. The Dolphins are a bad team and might finish with 5 or 6 wins. The Jets will be around .500 like they are always are and the Pats will around 10-6. Is it better to keep in Holcomb and maybe squeek out 5 or 6 more wins and most likely miss the playoffs or give the ball back to JP and let him get on the job training.

I dont mean to sound like a pessimist but watching the game yesterday there were two teams out there with a long way to go before they challange for a division championship.

471887[/snapback]

As much as I wished that JP would start doing better I'm sick of losing. We're talking about 6 plus years of no playoffs and although some accept our GM and the mediocrity he has brought to this once proud franchise I'm happy to say I don't and it needs to change. I believe JP can still become a good QB in this league the the FACT is he just isn't ready at this point in time. If he starts against the Fish we lose yesterday.

:rolleyes: Losmanites are funny. I like the kid and all but lets keep the discussion on planet earth.

472175[/snapback]

That is too long. Can we just shorten the nicknames for those who look to cinspiracies why Losman was not playing to something short like LOSers? :)

That is too long.  Can we just shorten the nicknames for those who look to cinspiracies why Losman was not playing to something short like LOSers? :rolleyes:

472385[/snapback]

losers....please....you were the same bunch of guys who were bitching last

year that losman should have played instead of bledsoe....

the bottom line is losman would have won yesterday if he had got similar

support from the play calling, D causing turnovers and STs providing

the kind of field positions they had. yesterdays game was similar

to our game against houston.....

The next 3 games will expose the real problems with this team, which is

its weak O and D lines

losers....please....you were the same bunch of guys who were bitching last year that losman should have played instead of bledsoe....

The next 3 games will expose the real problems with this team, which is

its weak O and D lines

472394[/snapback]

Nope not me, you are grouping me with someone else. Find one post where I bad mouthed Bledsoe saying that he should not be playing and Losman should. For that matter find one post where I labeled Losman the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly as some LOSers did. Too many fans go to extremes (too fanatically) calling for players to be cut in mid season and coaches and other personnel to be fired because some

Losman definitely is not ready to start but few rookie QBs and that includes QBs who sat for a year first on the bench or on rehab table.

I agree about the lines, especially the OL, but our OL has been terrible for a DECADE and it takes time to get it corrected. Maybe we should just have drafted prospect and not spend picks on QB but I will not 2nd guess people who have a lot more insight than me and did not home their football skills playing Madden.

I didn't say they were a great team, but Holcomb does indeed increase out chances of making the playoffs.

472176[/snapback]

So you really think the bills are going to win a playoff game on the road in January at either,,, sd....pitts.....n.e.....denver.....k.c......good luck !!!!!!

I posted this last week so I am sorry for the re-peat....(seems to be the requirement on TSW these days)

The move was made because Ralph was tired of watching a team underachieve.

which is why Mularkey was so short tempered with the press last week.  He thought he was the man in charge.  he thought when he said Losman was going to be the starter that meant no one else in the orgainzation could trump his decision.

He found out what Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, and Wade Phillips all found out at one point or another in their careers.  Ralph Wilson is the boss. 

And what the boss wants.  The boss gets.

472164[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly, Mularkey was put in a bad position and he took it out on the media. Ralph runs the show, but after seeing him on the field at halftime I'm not real confident in a team being run by a 87 year old man who looks like he's not sure where he is. :pirate:

So you really think the bills are going to win a playoff game on the road in January at either,,, sd....pitts.....n.e.....denver.....k.c......good luck !!!!!!

472971[/snapback]

Who said anything about winning a playoff game? Do the Bills have a better chance of making the playoffs with Holcomb or Losman? I say Holcomb....that's it...bottom line....read the print son....

Who said anything about winning a playoff game?  Do the Bills have a better chance of making the playoffs with Holcomb or Losman?  I say Holcomb....that's it...bottom line....read the print son....

473421[/snapback]

The thing is, everyone in the Bills organization, before game one, would have said that Holcomb had a better chance of winning the FIRST game than JP Losman did. You would have to be out of your mind to think otherwise. 10 year vet versus 1 game vet. Holcomb was almost for sure the better choice for each and every game of the first half of the season for all intents and purposes, whether JP was playing well or lousy each week (unless the defense and run game and lines and special teams were absolutely dominating, like Pittsburgh, which was virtually impossible).

So it's a bunch of bullschitt to say that in game five we're making this move because KH gives us the best chance to win. They thought that each of the previous four, too. They knew he was the better choice all along, I knew it, and I think Losman should be playing. The plan was, always, that JP had to grow and had to play to get better. To no longer be raw. The thing is, they changed their plan. And last season they were successful because MM said "we have a good plan, we're sticking to the plan". That is why it reeks of Ralph.

The thing is, everyone in the Bills organization, before game one, would have said that Holcomb had a better chance of winning the FIRST game than JP Losman did. You would have to be out of your mind to think otherwise. 10 year vet versus 1 game vet. Holcomb was almost for sure the better choice for each and every game of the first half of the season for all intents and purposes, whether JP was playing well or lousy each week (unless the defense and run game and lines and special teams were absolutely dominating, like Pittsburgh, which was virtually impossible).

So it's a bunch of bullschitt to say that in game five we're making this move because KH gives us the best chance to win. They thought that each of the previous four, too. They knew he was the better choice all along, I knew it, and I think Losman should be playing. The plan was, always, that JP had to grow and had to play to get better. To no longer be raw. The thing is, they changed their plan. And last season they were successful because MM said "we have a good plan, we're sticking to the plan". That is why it reeks of Ralph.

473450[/snapback]

Good job there KtFaBD.

I for one could not wait for DB to make the exit stage right. However, just handing the keys to the Corvette (nee Corvair) to JP was a dubious strategy at best. Who knew from the smoke being blown up our keesters about him that the kid was so shaky. I still think he's got a great shot to make it in the league. If he does, I just hope it's as a Bill.

Good job there KtFaBD.

I for one could not wait for DB to make the exit stage right. However, just handing the keys to the Corvette (nee Corvair) to JP was a dubious strategy at best. Who knew from the smoke being blown up our keesters about him that the kid was so shaky. I still think he's got a great shot to make it in the league. If he does, I just hope it's as a Bill.

473459[/snapback]

I fully expect JP to play this season at some point, and likely stay there. I personally think he should still be starting now because he needs the work and we're not good enough to go very far in the playoffs. And I think Kelly Holcomb is an excellent insurance policy and back-up quarterback in this league, with the emphasis on back-up. I don't believe, as you suggested, that they were blowing smoke up our collective ass about Losman. I think everyone thought he wouldn't have three horrible games in a row and that he could play well enough to squeak out a couple wins. But they also thought that the defense would be better and the O line would be better and the team would be 2-2 or hopefully even 3-1 after the first quarter even while JP was learning how to settle down.

What they didn't do was put him in a position to succeed. Clements and Mularkey really let JP and us fans down almost as much as JP let them and us fans down.

the bottom line is losman would have won yesterday if he had got similar

support from the play calling, D causing turnovers and STs providing

the kind of field positions they had.  yesterdays game was similar

to our game against houston.....

472394[/snapback]

I like Losman, and I'll think he'll be a good QB for us for many years, but that's a stretch. Completing 46% of attempted passes and gaining 98 yards through the air wouldn't have got it done IMO.

I like Losman, and I'll think he'll be a good QB for us for many years, but that's a stretch.  Completing 46% of attempted passes and gaining 98 yards through the air wouldn't have got it done IMO.

473489[/snapback]

I agree with him. A lot of JP's problems were because of field position (although not being able to get out of it was a great deal his own doing). The Houston game was very much like the Miami game. The defense took the ball away a lot, the offense was put in good positions to score. The Tampa Bay game and Atlanta game, we were back in our our 15-18 yard line the entire game because the offense couldnt move (when we did move we moved right backwards) and the defense couldn't stop anyone or turn the ball over. Plus they didnt run Willis enough. Holcomb did several things well and several things that JP didnt do. But I think that if JP got 5 turnovers, often great field position, conservative play calling, a lot of run plays to Willis, and 18 penalties on the Dolphins, we would have scored 20 points at home and won.

We cannot run the ball when it counts (red zone, 1st and goal from the 2, 4th down, etc)

We cannot stop the run.

Unless this changes, this team goes nowhere no matter who is at QB.

RTB

473493[/snapback]

That may be true. :doh:

I fully expect JP to play this season at some point, and likely stay there. I personally think he should still be starting now because he needs the work and we're not good enough to go very far in the playoffs. And I think Kelly Holcomb is an excellent insurance policy and back-up quarterback in this league, with the emphasis on back-up. I don't believe, as you suggested, that they were blowing smoke up our collective ass about Losman. I think everyone thought he wouldn't have three horrible games in a row and that he could play well enough to squeak out a couple wins. But they also thought that the defense would be better and the O line would be better and the team would be 2-2 or hopefully even 3-1 after the first quarter even while JP was learning how to settle down.

What they didn't do was put him in a position to succeed. Clements and Mularkey really let JP and us fans down almost as much as JP let them and us fans down.

473487[/snapback]

I agree, and perhaps my turn of the phrase regarding collective asses and smoke is somewhat off the mark. I remember posting about being concerned with Wyche's published comments gushing about how great JP was picking up things, being in the film room for all hours, etc., etc. It seemed the Bills Brain Trust was working the media hard to set this kid up as a shoo-in that couldn't fail. Would that they prepared better game plans that gave him a chance to mature on the field and not being hung out to dry on the bench. Funny how many were screaming to have WM run more and to try Peters at TE. They did both last week. :doh:

I still think he's got a great shot to make it in the league. If he does, I just hope it's as a Bill.

473459[/snapback]

Probably not. We will collectively run him out of town as Atlanta did Favre. JP will go to Green Bay, get mentored by red-shorts himself and give them a franchise QB for the next 10 years. That would be my bet. :blink:

473450[/snapback]

Not quite sure what Billschitt is, but it doesn't sound good. They made the move because KH gives us the best chance to win...period...bottom line...I don't think coaches would put their careers and reputations on the line to go with a team that they feel doesn't give them the best chance to win!!! Now that's bullsqwitch or whatever the heck you call it.....