The comments about Ron Edwards have me scratching

Ron has been looking good all preseason and training camp......then he comes out and participates in a dominant first game defensive effort.....

THen he....along with the rest of the defense.....stay on the field too long and wilt in the heat.....

And all of a sudden he sucks?

Come on folks.....

447126[/snapback]

He's always sucked against the run, including all pre-season and last week. He can't hold ground against single team blocks and so he becomes as useless as a spinning top in the run game. I've broken it down throughout the pre-season and given the plays. It was simply a matter of time before our opponents discovered what our film clearly shows. Expect a lot more of it.

It boils down to this:

He's a square peg being pounded into a round hole- he should be on the field in passing situations only and instead he's being used exactly the opposite way. The team's refusal to address our DT depth this off-season will be the story of the season itself- a season in which we can expect to be run over regularly unless we adopt a different strategy. At least Anderson plays low- I'm for giving him the starting role and moving Edwards back to the nickel and dime sets. This would also give Sam some much needed down time.

I think he had a very medioare pre-season myself. There was one game that he seemed to do well, and the next one he was pushed all over. What he doesn't seem to do well is just hold his ground or get any push into the backfield. he gets slide along the line pretty easily by blockers and it opens rather large holes. If the backers are tied up briefly the back is into our defensive backfield almost immediately. Edwards needs to get his game together. He played reasonably well against the Texans but they didnt seem to try to rush up the middle very much at all and were stymied. It will be interesting to see how the entire defense responds against Atlanta.

He just doesn't play the run well, John. He remains upright, allowing him to be moved out of the way with tremendous ease by even the weakest interior lineman using proper technique. He looks like Mike Lodish out there John. It's unfortunate, but it's true - he's a major weakness, and teams will continue to run right at him.

He is a decent passrusher, and I also think he's gotten better at sliding off blocks and moving side to side. It's staying in one spot that he sucks at.

On a positive note, it looks as though Bannan perhaps can play the run, at least on a situational basis. Perhaps Krumrie can turn him into enough of a player to develop a rotation at the position.

He just doesn't play the run well, John.  He remains upright, allowing him to be moved out of the way with tremendous ease by even the weakest interior lineman using proper technique.  He looks like Mike Lodish out there John.  It's unfortunate, but it's true - he's a major weakness, and teams will continue to run right at him.

He is a decent passrusher, and I also think he's gotten better at sliding off blocks and moving side to side.  It's staying in one spot that he sucks at.

On a positive note, it looks as though Bannan perhaps can play the run, at least on a situational basis.  Perhaps Krumrie can turn him into enough of a player to develop a rotation at the position.

447247[/snapback]

Edwards has been adequate at best (and a little worse than that most of the time) as a starter at DT. However, many of these analyses seem to over-focus on analyzing the specifics and details of Edwards play without enough attention to what he is supposed to be doing in the Bills D.

I'm among the first to say i do not completely understand how Gray is employing his players in the Bills D (my wife will usually be the first person to say I clealy do not understand anything at all(. However, I feel ahead of the curve of many Blls observers because at least I understand that I do not really know for sure what he is doing. Many of the analytical posts here by some folks who clearly have watched a lot of football seem to analyze the play of Bills defenders as though they are assuming the role of the Bills D is that of a player in a standard 4-3.

I don't know the shorthand to explain it yet, but i can tell you for sure that though the depth chart has the team labeled as though it is a standard 4-3 this is not how the D works or the players are used.

This is reflected in cases like the Bills going almost all of last season and into this season with only 3 DEs on the roster. How is this so? Is Gray so cocky and confident of his godlike status that he is certain no DE is going to get nicked at all or that Posey can shift to be a full time DE if needed and the Bills will be fine having lost the OLN and made the zone blitz repetitive and simplistic.

I don't think so.

The key here I think to understanding our D is actually to come up with some new lables that more accurately describe the positions Gray is using and fill out a depth chart to fill these position. CD Nittam got a good start on this by labeling a position that Posey plays and seems to be backed up by Denny as "The Keeper." This Keeper role is like the OLB position but the main responsiblities seem to be prettu evenly distributed between pass covetrage and run stopping with blitzing the passer as an iterm occaisonally thrown in but this is not the main duty of this player.

I think the low sack totals of both these players are where they are in part because neither of these two players is used primarily as a rusher.

Likewise when analyzing Edwards play folks seem to find fault with him for not pressuring or collapsing the pocket much. However, it seems to me that Edwards duty (particularly on the first down or so is actually to concentrate more on lateral movement attempting to clog up the point of attack rather than attacking the POA. There attacks are left in the Bills scheme to Sam Adams who has an incredibly quick first step. Sometimes the step will allow him to hit the runner in the backfield or even get a sack, but Edwards role seems to be moving laterally to cover space in case Adams guesses wrong and overruns the play.

The ultimate measure is production and this weekend Edwards in particular (as a lot of the runs were up the gut) failed but. However, i think we need to get more info in terms of whether AT sees something on tape they can imitate or whether Gray/Krumrie can make some scheme adjustment (for example having Adams stay at home more and watch the run rather having him shoot the gap so frequently) that makes up for any Edwards shortcomings.

The posts which many make complaining about Edward play would be a bit more credible if they included some explanation of how rhw Bills D works and why Edwards is failing to make it work.

I think we will know more after this weekend.

Did you guys see who else was on his back on the one rushing TD?

I never thought that I would see Sam Adams pushed back the way he was. I will have to re-confirm when I watch the game on short cuts. On second thought, I don't know if I can watch that game again.

Likewise when analyzing Edwards play folks seem to find fault with him for not pressuring or collapsing the pocket much.  However, it seems to me that Edwards duty (particularly on the first down or so is actually to concentrate more on lateral movement attempting to clog up the point of attack rather than attacking the POA. 

447400[/snapback]

FFS, did you even read our posts? That's exactly what we were faulting RE for - not playing low enough to maintain position and "clog" his space... come on.

Also, if you want a nickname for RE for his role in the defense, how about "The Matador"? That describes his "Ole!" move against running backs running in his direction.

Edwards has been adequate at best (and a little worse than that most of the time) as a starter at DT.  However, many of these analyses seem to over-focus on analyzing the specifics and details of Edwards play without enough attention to what he is supposed to be doing in the Bills D.

I'm among the first to say i do not completely understand how Gray is employing his players in the Bills D (my wife will usually be the first person to say I clealy do not understand anything at all(. However, I feel ahead of the curve of many Blls observers because at least I understand that I do not really know for sure what he is doing. Many of the analytical posts here by some folks who clearly have watched a lot of football seem to analyze the play of Bills defenders as though they are assuming the role of the Bills D is that of a player in a standard 4-3.

I don't know the shorthand to explain it yet, but i can tell you for sure that though the depth chart has the team labeled as though it is a standard 4-3 this is not how the D works or the players are used.

This is reflected in cases like the Bills going almost all of last season and into this season with only 3 DEs on the roster. How is this so? Is Gray so cocky and confident of his godlike status that he is certain no DE is going to get nicked at all or that Posey can shift to be a full time DE if needed and the Bills will be fine having lost the OLN and made the zone blitz repetitive and simplistic.

I don't think so.

The key here I think to understanding our D is actually to come up with some new lables that more accurately describe the positions Gray is using and fill out a depth chart to fill these position. CD Nittam got a good start on this by labeling a position that Posey plays and seems to be backed up by Denny as "The Keeper."  This Keeper role is like the OLB position but the main responsiblities seem to be prettu evenly distributed between pass covetrage and run stopping with blitzing the passer as an iterm occaisonally thrown in but this is not the main duty of this player.

I think the low sack totals of both these players are where they are in part because neither of these two players is used primarily as a rusher.

Likewise when analyzing Edwards play folks seem to find fault with him for not pressuring or collapsing the pocket much.  However, it seems to me that Edwards duty (particularly on the first down or so is actually to concentrate more on lateral movement attempting to clog up the point of attack rather than attacking the POA.  There attacks are left in the Bills scheme to Sam Adams who has an incredibly quick first step. Sometimes the step will allow him to hit the runner in the backfield or even get a sack, but Edwards role seems to be moving laterally to cover space in case Adams guesses wrong and overruns the play.

The ultimate measure is production and this weekend Edwards in particular (as a lot of the runs were up the gut) failed but. However, i think we need to get more info in terms of whether AT sees something on tape they can imitate or whether Gray/Krumrie can make some scheme adjustment (for example having Adams stay at home more and watch the run rather having him shoot the gap so frequently) that makes up for any Edwards shortcomings.

The posts which many make complaining about Edward play would be a bit more credible if they included some explanation of how rhw Bills D works and why Edwards is failing to make it work.

I think we will know more after this weekend.

447400[/snapback]

more sophistry. Edwards' role on running downs is to stop the run and clog lanes, especially when since he plays next to a more effective penetrator (and more effective space clogger) in Sam Adams. It's pretty simple, actually. The guy isn't very good at this. If the Bills ran a 3-4ish defense, the guy who would replace the DT would be a LB who had at least some explosiveness off the edge and an ability to play in space. Edwards and Adams have neither of these attributes, so it's pretty fair to say that they play in straight up 4-3.

Everyone said it great. But Edwars is a 3rd down DT. He was drafted as a swing DE/DT. He is very quick off the ball but he likes to get real aggressive and shoot gaps. In addition, he can tend to get out muscled and out of position very easily which is why Fletcher was so important, one to ensure he was positioned properly and two cover the hole that Edwards always seems to leave.

FFS, did you even read our posts?  That's exactly what we were faulting RE for - not playing low enough to maintain position and "clog" his space... come on.

Also, if you want a nickname for RE for his role in the defense, how about "The Matador"?  That describes his "Ole!" move against running backs running in his direction.

447430[/snapback]

My sense is that it appears Gray/Krumrie actually seem to judge that in order or Edwards to be most effective in working within this D scheme to stop the run a key for him in to play low but actually maintain his ability to move across the line and fill spaces left by an Adams rush.

I do read your and other posts as I try to figure out what the heck Gray and Krunries are doing. I think that posts which find fault with Edwards for not playing low or for moving laterally rather than penetrating and breaking down the play are simply bad anallysis if he is doing exactly what Gray and Krumrie are telling him to do.

As best as I can tell the ultimate proof in the oudding is whether the point about accomplishing the ultimate goal, stopping run is achieved or not. The key is not whether Edwards plays low or not, the key is whether they stop the run or not. As best as I can tell the key to how the Gray D works is mobility. A player who plays as low as you jufge good but proves unable to move horzontally and fill a gap is playing badly as far as our D scheme is concerned.

The key is not to miss the point of a post, but the key is not to miss the point of how the game is being played. I think your assessment is correct when applied to a player who is running a normal 4-3 and his responsiblity is to stay low, hold hjis ground and cover the 1 or 2 gaps he is supposed to cover, but the very same assessment of whether a player is low enough but unfortunately he is human and thus cannot exercise the mobitlity to cover a gap that his fellow DT has abandoned because he us rushing the passer is not playing well because the other team is running all over us throught the uncovered gap.

I flat out say that I like the vast majority of NFL OCs do not understand and cannot predict with enough accuracy how the Gray D works and what Krunrie wll have players do to make it work as much as possible.

From what i see the Bills D failed badly last week, but the reason it failed was not because Edwards did not play low enough. As best as I can tell Edwards was actually not moviing well enough to cover all the space he needed to cover. Sam failed to get the penetration he typically gets and the plays were not being blown up and Cadillac got to use his time and ability to pick his spots rather than running awsy from Adams.

If anything Edwards problems were that he was playing too low if this cut back on his achieving the mobility needed to make the Bills D wirk.

I think you are judging how Edwards on an incorrect assessment of that constitutes good play on his part bevause what is good play in a 5-3 where DTs main job is to hold their ground is simoly incorrect because in the Bills D the mobility that has a player like Schobel covering a WR downfield, which emphasizes SA using his unusually quick first step to shoot the gap, nd see Posey drop back in pass coverage as often as he provide run support at the POA and far more often than he tries to sack the QB is how you measure good performance rather than some nonapplicable or outmoded assessment of whether Edwards is low enough.

I think you are judging how Edwards on an incorrect assessment of that constitutes good play on his part bevause what is good play in a 5-3 where DTs main job is to hold their ground is simoly incorrect because in the Bills D the mobility that has a player like Schobel covering a WR downfield, which emphasizes SA using his unusually quick first step to shoot the gap, nd see Posey drop back in pass coverage as often as he provide run support at the POA and far more often than he tries to sack the QB is how you measure good performance rather than some nonapplicable or outmoded assessment of whether Edwards is low enough.

448181[/snapback]

Can you please translate this into coherent football talk, especially in light of Edwards being blown up, and vast majority of Cadillac's big runs straight up our gut?

Can you please translate this into coherent football talk, especially in light of Edwards being blown up, and vast majority of Cadillac's big runs straight up our gut?

448189[/snapback]

translation -- we miss pat williams

i know FFS has a hard time accepting this after his "spoke to soon" comments following the texans game.......

I think that posts which find fault with Edwards for not playing low or for moving laterally rather than penetrating and breaking down the play are simply bad anallysis if he is doing exactly what Gray and Krumrie are telling him to do.

448181[/snapback]

Let me assure you that unless Jerry Gray is trying an experiment in weightlessness by having Edwards allow himself to be knocked off balance by any and every run block, what is happening at Edwards spot is not in any way designed into the scheme. Edwards simply can't keep his balance. There is no precedent in the history of the league that would support Jerry Gray actually teaching this as a strategy, unless Isaac Asimov has been secretly hired to assist Tim Krumrie.

I've observed and reported for the past few years that Edwards has an unusually high center of gravity for a guy his size and that this dynamic handicaps his ability to keep blockers out from under his pads. Consequently he is a liability in run stopping where your opponent is doing everything to get under you and destroy any chance you have of holding your position. In pass protection this changes to some degree since it's the offense who wants to gain position, and in fact when a big guy with a high center gets doubled it can actually improve his chances of splitting the double and penetrating the opponents pocket because you can gain leverage on both of the opponents. This is the one thing that Edwards has done consistently over the past 20 games, get upfield against Pass Pro, especially on double teams.

Giving up your feet can NEVER be an advantage for a run stopper. The ability to hold your footing and keep your balance are the most fundamental parts of shutting down the run along the defensive interior, and Ron Edwards is incapable of doing either one with any consistency.

translation -- we miss pat williams

i know FFS has a hard time accepting this after his "spoke to soon" comments following the texans game.......

448232[/snapback]

There were answers other than overpaying the declining and less contributory PWilliams this past off-season. But we did nothing, instead allowing ourselves to get put in the position of starting Ron Edwards out of position from a scheme standpoint. Now, while Indy is moving up the D charts with Corey Simon dramatically improving them we will slide down the same statistical charts because eventually we'll have to let Anderson or Bannon play for the overmatched Edwards on running downs. And considering we have a QB who looks like he's in need of a full season to get his game together we can all write our own doom and gloom storyline. Mine hasn't changed since the preseason when I predicted entering the season with the Adams/Edwards rotation would make a .500 season a likelihood.

Ron has been looking good all preseason and training camp......then he comes out and participates in a dominant first game defensive effort.....

THen he....along with the rest of the defense.....stay on the field too long and wilt in the heat.....

And all of a sudden he sucks?

Come on folks.....

447126[/snapback]

Drew isn't around to kick anymore, Lindell connected on all his field goals and Reed made 7 catches without dropping one. There needs to be the new poo boy.

The only thing here that doesn't quite jive for me is that if Ron is consistently playing too high, game in and game out, and the coaches can see things with 10 times more clarity and accuracy than even the most knowledgeable football fan (and have all the tools necessary to do so), then they would be making corrections in this area. I've seen it too, he gets blown up and driven off the LOS at times on running plays, and too often it seems in some games, although I usually see this happen when he is engaged by one man and assisted by another with a chip or double-team. Playing too high is certainly among the more "correctable" things in a DT's game. What gives here? And don't tell me this is something that Krumrie would overlook.

The only thing here that doesn't quite jive for me is that if Ron is consistently playing too high, game in and game out, and the coaches can see things with 10 times more clarity and accuracy than even the most knowledgeable football fan (and have all the tools necessary to do so), then they would be making corrections in this area. I've seen it too, he gets blown up and driven off the LOS at times on running plays, and too often it seems in some games, although I usually see this happen when he is engaged by one man and assisted by another with a chip or double-team. Playing too high is certainly among the more "correctable" things in a DT's game. What gives here? And don't tell me this is something that Krumrie would overlook.

448300[/snapback]

Some guys physiologically simply have more weight up high and there's little to nothing that can be done about it. For instance Sammy Morris was heavier on top than you'd like for a running back, making him easier to tackle out of the backfield yet on STs he could put that weight to more effective use. Travis Henry has the low center of gravity you like for a first down running back. Edwards just doesn't have the low center that a barrel legged guy like Sam Adams is blessed with. Krumrie sees it all right, there's just nothing he can do about it from a technique standpoint and with what the team gave him to work with this season he's still trying to pound the square peg into the round hole.

It ain't working.

Some guys physiologically simply have more weight up high and there's little to nothing that can be done about it. For instance Sammy Morris was heavier on top than you'd like for a running back, making him easier to tackle yet on STs he could put that weight to more effective use. Travis Henry has the low center of gravity you like for a first down running back. Edwards just doesn't have the low center that a barrel legged guy like Sam Adams is blessed with. Krumrie sees it all right, there's just nothing he can do about it from a technique standpoint and with what the team gave him to work with this season he's still trying to pound the square peg into the round hole.

It ain't working.

448325[/snapback]

question - if the jags hadn't drafted marcus stroud at #13 in 01, do you think the bills would have? believe me, i'm not complaining about the results -- we dropped to 21 and picked up clements. i'm just curious as to your thoughts. a lot of prognosticators had the bills taking stroud. he's turned out to be a real load.

by the way who is the last good interior lineman the bills have drafted? fred smerlas? that'd be my guess. that was about 25 years ago, if memory serves ...

There is no precedent in the history of the league that would support Jerry Gray actually teaching this as a strategy, unless Isaac Asimov has been secretly hired to assist Tim Krumrie.

448252[/snapback]

This explains everything.

Isaac Asimov has been dead since 1992. :)

Some guys physiologically simply have more weight up high and there's little to nothing that can be done about it. For instance Sammy Morris was heavier on top than you'd like for a running back, making him easier to tackle out of the backfield yet on STs he could put that weight to more effective use. Travis Henry has the low center of gravity you like for a first down running back. Edwards just doesn't have the low center that a barrel legged guy like Sam Adams is blessed with. Krumrie sees it all right, there's just nothing he can do about it from a technique standpoint and with what the team gave him to work with this season he's still trying to pound the square peg into the round hole.

It ain't working.

448325[/snapback]

That makes some sense, although do you think they are weighing plusses and minuses here because Edwards does excel on passing plays (I know he's been out for some but he's also stayed in for some)? Otherwise they would just scrap the idea and put in Anderson to learn the ropes, or use Bannan/Sape/Etc. no?

Giving up your feet can NEVER be an advantage for a run stopper. The ability to hold your footing and keep your balance are the most fundamental parts of shutting down the run along the defensive interior, and Ron Edwards is incapable of doing either one with any consistency.

I agree with everything you're saying about Edwards' continued difficulties, but would only add this. Whenever he loses leverage and is being knocked out of his gap, a well-coached DT should just hit the ground and make a pile instead of continuing to be driven backwards or laterally. Have you seen Edwards doing this when guys get up underneath him?

I agree with everything you're saying about Edwards' continued difficulties, but would only add this. Whenever he loses leverage and is being knocked out of his gap, a well-coached DT should just hit the ground and make a pile instead of continuing to be driven backwards or laterally. Have you seen Edwards doing this when guys get up underneath him?

448362[/snapback]

Not where it looks as if it's on purpose. He has gone down a few times in this calendar year but he's left himself on his back on at least one of those; hard to help out on your back even if you're athletic.

Since we're seeing Anderson and the occasional Bannon rep, I have to believe it's only a matter of time before the team concludes the Edwards experiment failed and gives one of the others the field time. You have a favorite? I recall seeing Anderson make a great lateral move off a block in the preseason and keeping his horizontal line getting 3 gaps up to hold the runner for no gain. He seems to have the edge on potential so I'm to some degree hoping this is where the Ouija pointer ends up. Clearly we're allowing potential to dictate our effectiveness on the other side of the ball so why not do it defensively?

(I know he's been out for some but he's also stayed in for some)? Otherwise they would just scrap the idea and put in Anderson to learn the ropes, or use Bannan/Sape/Etc. no?

448341[/snapback]

He's actually not assigned in any of our passing packages, instead we're using Big Sam with Ryan Denney or Chris Kelsay. That's why Edwards never got on the field in the 4th quarter of the Houston game, we played all nickel and dime packages. The passing plays he's seen were on rushing downs.

He's always sucked against the run, including all pre-season and last week. He can't hold ground against single team blocks and so he becomes as useless as a spinning top in the run game. I've broken it down throughout the pre-season and given the plays. It was simply a matter of time before our opponents discovered what our film clearly shows. Expect a lot more of it.

It boils down to this:

He's a square peg being pounded into a round hole- he should be on the field in passing situations only and instead he's being used exactly the opposite way. The team's refusal to address our DT depth this off-season will be the story of the season itself- a season in which we can expect to be run over regularly unless we adopt a different strategy. At least Anderson plays low- I'm for giving him the starting role and moving Edwards back to the nickel and dime sets. This would also give Sam some much needed down time.

447131[/snapback]

I agree with that. Eventually teams will look at the tape and run at Ron. Is he good against the pass? I'd say above average, but unless he can stop the run, teams are going to run right at him.

question - if the jags hadn't drafted marcus stroud at #13 in 01, do you think the bills would have? believe me, i'm not complaining about the results -- we dropped to 21 and picked up clements.  i'm just curious as to your thoughts. a lot of prognosticators had the bills taking stroud. he's turned out to be a real load. 

by the way who is the last good interior lineman the bills have drafted? fred smerlas? that'd be my guess.  that was about 25 years ago, if memory serves ...

448333[/snapback]

If you pick up 2 or 3 pre-draft pubs each off-season, a curse I'm sure many share with me, you've probably noticed the trend that 1 or 2 of them predict us picking up a first or second round interior DLineman for maybe the last 4 seasons. Nationally we've been considered thin at DT even with PW, and based upon our opponent rosters it's even more clear. Then this decision to try to turn Edwards into something he just isn't physically set up for- but the reality is every off-season there's usually 2 or 3 vets who become available who can help a team with quality depth in the middle. The best teams in the league have some balance of drafted youth to veteran talent, but I'm still of the opinion you can make it work with one or two guys on the downside if you package them right. So I can't put the whole blame on missed draft ops, there's plenty to consider when your season might very well be riding on it about whether to make an honest play at a Corey Simon rather than simply getting your name in the paper as "interested".

I agree... Edwards is OK at best. Decent pass rusher, but not able to affectively stop the run.

What we saw Sunday was eerily similar to what we saw in '01-'02, teams gashed us right up the middle almost at will, and Jerry Gray and the defense look awful. When Sam Adams, Pat Williams and London Fletcher were all in to defend the run in '03 and '04, it was a totally different story and Jerry Gray and the defense were brilliant.

From what I've observed in my years of watching football... the strategy of building a defense from the inside out is the basis of a dominant defense. Starting with 2 mammoth tackles that can't be moved and command double teams and a good MLB will take a team a long way.

We've seen time and again what 2 huge tackles do in the middle of a defense. Urlacher was becoming a living legend when he had Trayler and Washington in front of him... Ray Lewis was actually deserving of all the hype he gets when he had Siragusa and Adams in front of him. You take one guy out of the equation and everything falls off. We're seeing the same thing happening here and it is disturbing. It apparently didn't make cap sense to do it, but clearly had we been able to land Corey Simon or retain Pat Williams, Cadillac Williams would've rushed for half the yards if that this past Sunday and we don't get crushed.