interesting power ranking

I have no idea how they come up with those rankings, but I love that the Bills gave up 94 fewer net passing yards than ANY other team last weekend.

439324[/snapback]

I assume that is a statistical power ranking. Undoubtably the author uses some formula that compares the yards gained by the offence with the yards given up by the defense. I assume also that it does not take into account the strength of the opponent. It is interesting to note that the Buccaneers' run defense was every bit as dominating as Buffalo's pass defense. Unfortunately, it would be hard to judge how much of that impressive yards against run figure is due to the Buccaneer defense versus the ineptitude of the Viking running game. Needless to say, the Buccaneers are going to be a tough opponent next week, and Tom Clements might be well advised to have Losman come out passing against the Buccaneers like he did versus the Texans. Let the passing game set up the run.

the Buccaneers are going to be a tough opponent next week, and Tom Clements might be well advised to have Losman come out passing against the Buccaneers like he did versus the Texans. Let the passing game set up the run.

The big problem is that he's not going to have a duck like Buchanan to work on. Both the Tampa corners are big leaguers; you know about Ronde Barber but Brian Kelly is the real deal as well.

There's not likely ot be nearly as much space outside the hashes as there was vs the Texans so the Bill might have to find a lot of their throwing yards inside with the TE's and Josh Reed. This woujld be a reeeeeal good week to see Roscoe Parrish back.

Cya

accepting that this has a tiny toe in reality, why are the skins ranked ahead of the bills?  the bills scored more, gave up significantly fewer yards.  okay, they outgained us by 15 or something. 

i just can't figger it out.

439428[/snapback]

It's because the Bills are in the AFC and the Skins are in the NFC.

Everyone knows the NFC is the tougher conference.

Everyone knows the AFC is strictly second class.

Just give it to 'em.

[/sarcasm]

How exactly is it that we had 8 yards less on offense, but gave up 42 less yards, scored 13 more points and gave up the same amount (7), against an equal or equally inept opponent, and were 20+ points behind the Skins in their ratings? Not that it matters one whit, but what exactly are they counting that isn't in their own categories?

How exactly is it that we had 8 yards less on offense, but gave up 42 less yards, scored 13 more points and gave up the same amount (7), against an equal or equally inept opponent, and were 20+ points behind  the Skins in their ratings? Not that it matters one whit, but what exactly are they counting that isn't in their own categories?

439588[/snapback]

The answer is probably here:

Take-Aways

The Skins had

A total of 2 takeaways: 1 interception, 1 fumble recovery and only had

A total of 3 Giveaways: 1 interception and two fumbles lost

for a turnover differential of -1

While the much weaker Bills had

A total of 5 takeaways: 3 interceptions, 2 fumble recoveries and had

A total of 0 Giveaways: 0 interceptions and 0 fumbles lost

for a turnover differential of + 5

So it's obvious that the much weaker Bills were only able to get a better turnover differential than the Skins because the Skins play in the tougher NFC.

Just give it to 'em.

the skins beat the worst team in the nfl by 2 points...

I don't know Jester, I think the Bears are going to scare teh pants off a lot of people this year. While I don't see them racking up a lot of wins, I think they're going to be competitive in just about every game they play.

Cya

The big problem is that he's not going to have a duck like Buchanan to work on. Both the Tampa corners are big leaguers; you know about Ronde Barber but Brian Kelly is the real deal as well.

There's not likely ot be nearly as much space outside the hashes as there was vs the Texans so the Bill might have to find a lot of their throwing yards inside with the TE's and Josh Reed. This woujld be a reeeeeal good week to see Roscoe Parrish back.

Cya

439585[/snapback]

Exactly. Buchanan is extremely overrated. He's OK against the run, but man he's a liability in pass coverage. But the media creams over a decent raider.

I certainly hope our inside guys get open more. The best bet we have is to beat their linebackers into submission, and/or create mismatches in coverage. If the Bills can force the Bucs to play some zone inside, we can handle it.

I don't know Jester, I think the Bears are going to scare teh pants off a lot of people this year. While I don't see them racking up a lot of wins, I think they're going to be competitive in just about every game they play.

Cya

439607[/snapback]

Are you saying their defense will keep them in games? I ask from a gambling standpoint more than anything (the ova/unda on that game was 33 and I hit it the unda very hard.)

I didn't get to watch much of the Bears because the game was on while we were playing but was perceptionally impressed how they were in that game for quite a while with a #3 quarterback at the helm. I can't see him (Orton?) putting points on the board, but if their D stands tall for the next few weeks, there could be some dough to be had on the undas.

Are you saying their defense will keep them in games?

That's exactly what I'm saying. They have a really tough front4 and an underrated defense and I just get the sense that we might see them losing an awful lot of those 9-7 games.

Their headcoach comes from a defensive background and will likely do everything in his power to shorten games and and limit opponents scoring opportunities agaisnt his very tough D.

I didn't see Sunday's game either(couldn't take my eyes of the thumping the Bills were dishing out) but the score looked exactly like what I see this team doing throughout much of the year, losing low scoring games.

Those overs are likely to start plummeting in a few weeks. Maybe by then when they're sporting a poor record you can take some chits by betting them to cover. ;)

Cya

Looking at those columns, we put up better numbers than Wash and are ranked #2?!    ;)

439671[/snapback]

And Miami and New England have an "FFRS" number of 219...even though Miami had a better total offense, total defense, and margin of victory than NE. Same sort of weirdness with KC and Tampa.

If I had to guess, I'd say that if it's an accurate ranking at all, it doesn't become accurate until about week 4, when everyone's played enough teams to make relative comparisons meaningful.

Cya

439607[/snapback]

when i say "worst" i mean only in terms of the list itself. i don't really think they're the worst team...although them being ranked 32nd is not nearly as comical as the skins being ranked first. maybe the whole thing is just based on stats, but you lose all credibility when you put the skins on top of a power poll!

Cya

439585[/snapback]

How are the Bucs safeties... Campell is going to get a ton of catchable balls

thrown towards him...