I saw Coldplay last night...

IBTG81

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A !@#$ing amazing show, with tons of energy. They are an awesome band, and even better live. They did an acoustic cover of "Ring of Fire", which was great.

429077[/snapback]

I really mean no disrespect, and I'm glad you enjoyed your show, but everything that has come out over the past 5 years or so has sounded exactly the same to me. I'm only 26. Coldplay, JP's band, all of 'em...

-Jeff

I really mean no disrespect, and I'm glad you enjoyed your show, but everything that has come out over the past 5 years or so has sounded exactly the same to me. I'm only 26.  Coldplay, JP's band, all of 'em... 

-Jeff

429151[/snapback]

I know you're exagerrating but three of the year's best albums (Coldplay "X&Y", Green Day "American Idiot" and White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan") could not possibly be any more different.

Now as far as bands like Hoobastank, Good Charlotte, Default and the gawd-awful Trapt go, or any of the other crap they play on the Edge ad nauseum, I'm not sure I could tell you the difference.

I know you're exagerrating but three of the year's best albums (Coldplay "X&Y", Green Day "American Idiot" and White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan") could not possibly be any more different.

429218[/snapback]

White Stripes was the album of the year,

but this Tuesday, for the first time in over 20 years, the Stones are back on top! :huh:

People can say what they like about coldplay, but all you do is demonstrate your inability to recognize excellent songwriting.

429277[/snapback]

Thank you Todd. Couldn't agree more.

Excellent musicians on top of that.

People can say what they like about coldplay, but all you do is demonstrate your inability to recognize excellent songwriting.

429277[/snapback]

And a great ability to imitate Sting. :huh: I must hand it to them and say that they are the only band I am aware of that imitates him, and they do a fine job at it.

Most bands lack the imagination and simply imitate Pearl Jam.

And a great ability to imitate Sting.  :huh:  I must hand it to them and say that they are the only band I am aware of that imitates him, and they do a fine job at it.

Most bands lack the imagination and simply imitate Pearl Jam.

429298[/snapback]

I don't think Sting when I hear Coldplay. Doesn't mean you can't, I just never thought the two were synonymous.

Now as far as bands like Hoobastank, Good Charlotte, Default and the gawd-awful Trapt go, or any of the other crap they play on the Edge ad nauseum, I'm not sure I could tell you the difference.

429218[/snapback]

First three? Yes, obvious differences. The other ones all sound the same to me.

429218[/snapback]

Green Day's "American Idiot" being praised as the rock record of the year basically proves how far rock music has fallen. High school students in an AP English class could write better lyrics than those guys.

I was at the show in Columbus on August 31 and I loved it. The band interacts with the crowd a lot and the lighting design is just awesome. Lasers, TV screens, bright white lights, it was awesome.

429390[/snapback]

Lasers, TV screens, bright white lights, pot and mushrooms, it was awesome.

Green Day's "American Idiot" being praised as the rock record of the year basically proves how far rock music has fallen.  High school students in an AP English class could write better lyrics than those guys.

429378[/snapback]

I agree 100%.

That's why, IMHO, I love bands like Coldplay. The lyrics are borderline genius, and th emusic is catchy.

429277[/snapback]

What he said. :huh:

Coldplay is not simple pop music. It is highly dramatic, and with excellent musicianship and songwriting. True, you're not likely to find yourself banging heads in a mosh pit while you listen too it, but that only commends it even more. Those that claim it is like everything else, or that it's for the lollipop crowd simply have an underdeveloped appreciation for fine music.

And before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am a musician who constantly laments the regressive and primitive state of contemporary music. I also listen to mostly "alternative" and will not be found scanning the bubble gum stations.

How did you like "Fields of Gold?" Did it suck?

429386[/snapback]

Never heard of it. Probably sucks too.

Ectasy makes everything sound good.

Musicians go into it as a profession for 2 reasons:

1. Get laid.

2. Make money.

Yeah, and so were the Archies.  That's why they call it Pop.  :huh:

429143[/snapback]

Hey, I like the Archies. Sugar, Sugar; and uh.. Sugar Sugar is cool. And Jingle, Jangle. And .. Sugar, Sugar. that's good.

Plus they had a cartoon. Way ahead of their time.

Now the Banana Splits. THAT was gay. And that kid what was his name? Gayola.

But the Archies. DAMN. Like number one for a year. Look it up.

Coldplay are pop only because they are popular...

Their music, IMO, is touching, uplifting, carefully written and crafted and many are true epic songs of their time.

I understand not liking them, Chris Martin's voice could to some ears sound too dirgey and off key, their melodies are often 'flat' - but I for one love Coldplay. Every album has been superb - I hope there is more to come.

PS - seen them live before too - VERY powerful!

What he said.    :huh:

Coldplay is not simple pop music.  It is highly dramatic, and with excellent musicianship and songwriting.  True, you're not likely to find yourself banging heads in a mosh pit while you listen too it, but that only commends it even more.  Those that claim it is like everything else, or that it's for the lollipop crowd simply have an underdeveloped appreciation for fine music.

And before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am a musician who constantly laments the regressive and primitive state of contemporary music.  I also listen to mostly "alternative" and will not be found scanning the bubble gum stations.

429421[/snapback]

Simple pop or not, it doesn't do much for me. They might be the most technically correct musicians in the business; I could care less. Good for them, nice to see more than three chords and screaming and all that, but if it doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't appeal to me.

There are too many artificial boundaries. I feel a cliched speech about how labels suck and how alternative is mainstream coming on... insert that rant {HERE}.

-Jeff

I was at the show in Columbus on August 31 and I loved it. The band interacts with the crowd a lot and the lighting design is just awesome. Lasers, TV screens, bright white lights, it was awesome.

429390[/snapback]

Funny how there's not one mention of the music in that review. <_<

But hey, you used the word awesome twice. :huh:

A !@#$ing amazing show, with tons of energy. They are an awesome band, and even better live. They did an acoustic cover of "Ring of Fire", which was great.

429077[/snapback]

Glad you had a great time! I like speed of sound and plan to start checking out their other stuff on real rhapsody.