I saw Coldplay last night...

IBTG81

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a jerk or whatever, but to me, it's a shame that people can't get into music. You have to dig deeper than 103.3 the edge. GREAT modern music exists, its just a matter of whether or not you love music enough to go find it.

That being said, Coldplay is good.

Simple pop or not, it doesn't do much for me. They might be the most technically correct musicians in the business; I could care less.  Good for them, nice to see more than three chords and screaming and all that, but if it doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't appeal to me.

There are too many artificial boundaries.  I feel a cliched speech about how labels suck and how alternative is mainstream coming on... insert that rant {HERE}.

-Jeff

429516[/snapback]

No argument from me. Personal tast is altogether a different issue. I just just get worked up a little when people dismiss them for being "pop" or "like everyone else." They are guilty, not nesasarily of bad tast, but of not paying attention.

Glad you had a great time!  I like speed of sound and plan to start checking out their other stuff on real rhapsody.

429574[/snapback]

Awesome!

Check out the song "Fix You." It is amazing, and was even better in person.

Coldplay sucks. They took one good idea of Radiohead's (out of many), repeat, repeat, repeat. They do NOT write good songs - the lyrics are ridiculously cheesy, and all of their melodies sound the same. Check out the New York Times article from about a month ago, which called Coldplay "the most insufferable band of the decade." Their entire sound is an attempt to simulate emotion without actually evoking it. They're just another Emo band - they're only as "great" as Duran Duran (although that's probably giving them wayyyyyy too much credit).

Coldplay sucks.  They took one good idea of Radiohead's (out of many), repeat, repeat, repeat.  They do NOT write good songs - the lyrics are ridiculously cheesy, and all of their melodies sound the same.  Check out the New York Times article from about a month ago, which called Coldplay "the most insufferable band of the decade."  Their entire sound is an attempt to simulate emotion without actually evoking it.  They're just another Emo band - they're only as "great" as Duran Duran (although that's probably giving them wayyyyyy too much credit).

429814[/snapback]

I love you man.

Fact is that CP's lite rock is tailor made for sorority reunions, waiting rooms, and guys who drive Volkswagons.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3167

scroll down to middle of page

429844[/snapback]

Like the Coldplay analysis; LOVE the Yin Yang Twins analysis. Even though that song is disturbing as hell - I still like it. Just once I'd like to date a girl slutty enough that I could say that stuff to her.......

Coldplay sucks.  They took one good idea of Radiohead's (out of many), repeat, repeat, repeat.  They do NOT write good songs - the lyrics are ridiculously cheesy, and all of their melodies sound the same.  Check out the New York Times article from about a month ago, which called Coldplay "the most insufferable band of the decade."  Their entire sound is an attempt to simulate emotion without actually evoking it.  They're just another Emo band - they're only as "great" as Duran Duran (although that's probably giving them wayyyyyy too much credit).

429814[/snapback]

Everyone has their own taste in music. Even Boxcar Willie and Panfir the Pan Flute guy have both sold lots of records. :D

A review in the New York Times is still just one person's opinion. I recently listened to Coldplay's X&Y cd. I thought that some songs were really good, some were mediocre, and some were lame. Sort of like most cd's that I've heard recently from other bands.

Old people will always resist change. It's only natural to feel threatened by what you don't understand. In the case of many people on this board, it's relevant and good music since 1983.

Sting is a pompous sellout. He gives up his music to commercials and artists in other genres in an attempt to stay cool. Someone should just tell him that if he wants to stay cool, he should just release a good album for the first time in 20 years.

429814[/snapback]

Yawn. As a basis of comparison, why don't you list some bands you like.

I was at the show in Columbus on August 31 and I loved it. The band interacts with the crowd a lot and the lighting design is just awesome. Lasers, TV screens, bright white lights, it was awesome.

429390[/snapback]

Awesome? did they come out in tight red shorts, no shirt and a cowboy hat? :doh:

Music is subjective and I find it incredibly arrogant and elitist when people think their taste in music is superior.  That is like saying "I have better taste in food then you".    People get over yourselves  :doh:

431552[/snapback]

Ordinarily I would agree with you. However, there are some bands that overplay their hand so much that it's actually insulting to the audience - and Coldplay is one of them. They're phonies, plain and simple. Example: read their lyrics - they're like poems written by a freshman in high school. Check out these goodies from the new album:

"What if"

What if there was no light

Nothing wrong, nothing right

What if there was no time

And no reason or rhyme

What if you should decide

That you don’t want me there by your side

That you don’t want me there in your life

What if I got it wrong

And no poem or song

Could put right what I got wrong

Or make you feel I belong

Oooh, that’s right

Let’s take a breath, jump over the side

Oooh, that’s right

How can you know it if you don’t even try

Oooh, that’s right

Every step that you take

Could be your biggest mistake

It could bend or it could break

But that’s the risk that you take

Ooh, that’s right

Ooh, that’s right

How can you know it when you don’t even try

Ooh, that’s right

Ooh, that’s right

Ooh, that’s right

You know the darkness always turns into light

Ooh, that’s right

Want more examples of their ridiculousness? Ever notice how they purposely play in a key that's just a hair bit out of the lead singer's range? That's because it makes it sound like he's straining, which makes it sound like he's overcome with emotion. Cheesy lyrics sung in a cheesy fashion. And, as others have pointed out, these kinds of bands are promoted ad naseum, becase they're so easy to produce and control - at the expense of real, quality music that never gets radio play. Want some examples? Fine. Ever hear Yo La Tengo on the radio? Dinosaur Jr.? Modest Mouse, before "Float On"? Sigur Ros?

In some situations, music is not subjective, like when the musicians are frauds. Milli Vanilli was no accident.

Ordinarily I would agree with you.  However, there are some bands that overplay their hand so much that it's actually insulting to the audience - and Coldplay is one of them.  They're phonies, plain and simple.  Example: read their lyrics - they're like poems written by a freshman in high school.  Check out these goodies from the new album:

"What if"

What if there was no light

Nothing wrong, nothing right

What if there was no time

And no reason or rhyme

What if I got it wrong

And no poem or song

Could put right what I got wrong

Or make you feel I belong

Oooh, that’s right

Oooh, that’s right

How can you know it if you don’t even try

Oooh, that’s right

Every step that you take

Could be your biggest mistake

It could bend or it could break

But that’s the risk that you take

Ooh, that’s right

Ooh, that’s right

How can you know it when you don’t even try

Ooh, that’s right

Ooh, that’s right

Ooh, that’s right

You know the darkness always turns into light

Ooh, that’s right

431571[/snapback]

That song is to his daughter. How much deeper do you want it to get? :doh:

That song is to his daughter. How much deeper do you want it to get?  :doh:

431572[/snapback]

Hmm... well maybe he could write a song apologizing to her for the embarassment she'll have to suffer at school with everyone knowing her dad's a Cheezedick.

I mean look at these clowns:

http://www.alwaysontherun.net/coldplay.htm

Ordinarily I would agree with you.  However, there are some bands that overplay their hand so much that it's actually insulting to the audience - and Coldplay is one of them.  They're phonies, plain and simple.  Example: read their lyrics - they're like poems written by a freshman in high school.  Check out these goodies from the new album:

Want more examples of their ridiculousness?  Ever notice how they purposely play in a key that's just a hair bit out of the lead singer's range?  That's because it makes it sound like he's straining, which makes it sound like he's overcome with emotion.  Cheesy lyrics sung in a cheesy fashion.  And, as others have pointed out, these kinds of bands are promoted ad naseum, becase they're so easy to produce and control - at the expense of real, quality music that never gets radio play.  Want some examples?  Fine.  Ever hear Yo La Tengo on the radio?  Dinosaur Jr.?  Modest Mouse, before "Float On"?  Sigur Ros?

431571[/snapback]

Where You Been is one of my favorite albums of all time. Coach- I have over 2000 cds, twices as many LPs, 3 turntables, I even have 8 tracks. I am quite familiar with Yo La Tengo and Modest Mouse. If silly lyrics = bad music- what about Come Together by the Beatles? How about Heebie Jeebies by Louie Armstrong? For me I could care less if the lyrics are any good if I like the beat. I get into this argument with a few musician friends of mine. They discount music if the musicianship is not complicated. I always state "who gives a sh-- if its complicated?". Some of the greatest songs ever written were simple but catchy

Where You Been is one of my favorite albums of all time.  Coach- I have over 2000 cds, twices as many LPs, 3 turntables, I even have 8 tracks.  I am quite familiar with Yo La Tengo and Modest Mouse.  If silly lyrics = bad music- what about Come Together by the Beatles?  How about Heebie Jeebies by Louie Armstrong?  For me I could care less if the lyrics are any good if I like the beat.  I get into this argument with a few musician friends of mine.  They discount music if the musicianship is not complicated.  I always state "who gives a sh-- if its complicated?".  Some of the greatest songs ever written were simple but catchy

431578[/snapback]

Well I agree with everything you said - except that none of the other bands you listed "try as hard" as Coldplay to look, act and sound like emo rock stars. There is something just plain pathetic about the show they're putting on, and yes it does interfere with my ability to enjoy the music. Also, music doesn't have to be "complicated" per se, but it does need to have some lyrical and/or melodical nuances to be interesting. Coldplay's songs have neither - their melodies really sound the same from song to song, they're either not that talented or don't try very hard, and either way they just don't deserve the promotion and attention they've received.

I know you're exagerrating but three of the year's best albums (Coldplay "X&Y", Green Day "American Idiot" and White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan") could not possibly be any more different. 

Now as far as bands like Hoobastank, Good Charlotte, Default and the gawd-awful Trapt go, or any of the other crap they play on the Edge ad nauseum, I'm not sure I could tell you the difference.

429218[/snapback]

No but Coldplay and EVERY SINGLE BRITISH BAND THAT HAS FOLLOWED THEM SOUNDS THE SAME!!

American idiot is the best rock album to have come out since Pearl Jam's Ten!

Hmm... well maybe he could write a song apologizing to her for the embarassment she'll have to suffer at school with everyone knowing her dad's a Cheezedick.

431577[/snapback]

From left to right:

Psycho- probably the drummer

Angst ridden lead singer

Stoner bass player

Androgonyous guitarist-gay?

:doh:

431577[/snapback]

:doh:;):o:lol::lol:

Well, you did mention Modest Mouse, so that does explain a lot.

Not even in "Clocks?"

429311[/snapback]

Coldplay and Sting??

Never heard that before and personally can't see it, hey but I quite like Coldplay <_<

Great song writing, great songs and emotional music not rivalled in last 5 years...

Saying that the whole music scene of the last 10 years has sucked really so it's not surprising they are one of the most popular :lol:

American idiot is the best rock album to have come out since Pearl Jam's Ten!

431586[/snapback]

That's friggin hilarious, especially since Green Day ripped of their sound from the Sex Pistols. Friggin hypocrite, you.

From left to right:

Psycho- probably the drummer

Angst ridden lead singer

Stoner bass player

Androgonyous  guitarist-gay?

:lol:

431635[/snapback]

Why are bass players always wacked out stoners? I've played in a few bands in my time and it's usually: "that bass player is tight, but man is he wacked in the head." And no, not all drummers are psychos. Jeezus. And if you mention that again I'm coming over to your house and jam my drumstick so far up your arse it will tickle your tonsils! <_<

Rock on!

I'm not the biggest fan, but Coldplay must be a decent band if they can polarize people enough to warrant 70+ posts on the topic.

Those of you who like Coldplay- Enjoy

Those of you who dislike them- Enjoy something else

No sense arguing about it in a message board. They're a band, not everyone is going to like their music. But posting why you're view is right and the other side is wrong is useless. Besides, you're taking space away from those who want to post the classic all-time music rant: "Everything on the radio sounds the same!"

That's friggin hilarious, especially since Green Day ripped of their sound from the Sex Pistols. Friggin hypocrite, you.

432081[/snapback]

Todd, I can't agree with you more.

May I remind everyone of the album "Dookie"?

Enough said.

• 2 weeks later...
Forget Coldplay, I mean they're as good a Radiohead/Jeff Buckley sounding offspring as any band, but their opener Rilo Kiley, now there's one amazing band.

452174[/snapback]

Ok, kill this thread, we've come full circle with this gayfest. Thanks Ed for reviving this piece of crap. :lol: