So Where Do You Buy Your Gas From?

PTS

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the world is actually <gasp> complicated????

416336[/snapback]

Shocker, isn't it?

Many gas stations are independently owned, which means that they buy gas from whomever they wish. You will see a tanker truck pull up to a Sunoco station, and then drive across the street to the Lukoil station, then drive down the road to the BP station. It is all the same gas, but these "informative" e-mails lead you to believe that the gas at one station is actually different from the gas at another station. It is the same stuff from the same source.

What about Bio-Diesel?  Same idea, different fuel...

416222[/snapback]

Good idea but not enough of it will be made to make a dent in the supply. Same story with Gas to Liquids (GTL technology) which converts natural gas to ultra clean diesel and some gasoline. Best case scenario, GTL makes 5% of worldwide diesel demand by 2020. We are stuck with conventional ways of producing gasoline and diesel.

Short term = conservation, long term = totally different fuel for our vehicles (AND DON'T say Hydrogen please).

No political statements in this post.

This information is something that everyone should know. Oil companies need to report each month to the US Department of Engery where they purchase their oil from. Fox News reported today which five oil companies do not purchase oil from the Middle East.

Companies That Do Not Import Oil From The Middle East:

Sunoco

Citgo

ConocoPhillips (76)

Sinclair

BP

What's The Difference?

The report stated that the money you spend at gas stations that purchase oil from the Middle East does go to charities in the Middle East that are being fronted by Terrorist groups.

Seriously, share this list with everyone. Mobil -- where I used to get gas -- is one of the biggest importers of Middle Eastern oil.

415824[/snapback]

Wonder were the Native Americans get their gas from?

Indians get a lot of it trucked in from Canada. Where it comes out of the ground I do not know. Some do advertise that it's American gas. Although the 20 cents a gallon is somewhat cheaper YOU DO NOT GET A FULL GALLON as they do not have the pumps monitored. I know because I live on the res. and go to fill up a gallon jug for the mower. That and if they pay no taxes than why isn't the gas more than 20 cents cheaper, the state tax is alot more than that. They are making a killing.

I have to buy mine there because I would have to drive out of town as they own all of the gas stations.

Shocker, isn't it?

Many gas stations are independently owned, which means that they buy gas from whomever they wish. You will see a tanker truck pull up to a Sunoco station, and then drive across the street to the Lukoil station, then drive down the road to the BP station. It is all the same gas, but these "informative" e-mails lead you to believe that the gas at one station is actually different from the gas at another station. It is the same stuff from the same source.

416361[/snapback]

What's more, one company's oil can be shipped to another's refinery (on a third's tankers, though the tendency these days is for oil companies to charter tankers rather than own them), refined - presumably mixed with other companies' oil as well, then trucked on another company's trucks to a bunch of different sole proprietorships that may or may not be affiliated with franchises.

Nah, I must be wrong. The oil ExxonMobil pulls out of its Saudi wells is only used to create gasoline for ExxonMobil gas stations. :rolleyes:

I actually had a moment a few days ago where I seriously considered driving off without paying.

It was an evil moment, but I know the law, and didn't want to get caught. The next time I fill up, I'm going to take my plates off, fill up and bounce!

My cousin fred resolved this issue by telling wilma to start helping to kick in with him. Remember in 1989 price of gas $.1.oo a gallon ,your basic 3 bedroom house $ 100.000......... 1999 GAS $1.1O a gallon your basic 3 bedroom house $150.000......2005 gas $2.70 a gallon your basic 3 bedroom house $220.ooo.Bottom line a scooter and a cave ungabunga!!!!!!

What's more, one company's oil can be shipped to another's refinery (on a third's tankers, though the tendency these days is for oil companies to charter tankers rather than own them), refined - presumably mixed with other companies' oil as well, then trucked on another company's trucks to a bunch of different sole proprietorships that may or may not be affiliated with franchises. 

Nah, I must be wrong.  The oil ExxonMobil pulls out of its Saudi wells is only used to create gasoline for ExxonMobil gas stations.  :rolleyes:

416637[/snapback]

Repeat after me: "It's all Haliburton's fault!" DING!!

cheap gas locator

Oil/Gas extortion is a political issue. I have an economic issue with that!  :rolleyes:

416677[/snapback]

If you want to do better than that, pick a gas company and get their credit card. Sunoco, for example, provides a 4% "rebate" on every fill up at a Sunoco station, which is credited monthly. At today's prices that equates to .10/gallon.

I checked the DOE website, and SNOPES used the info from 2002, and it looks right to me.

416276[/snapback]

I dont see how snopes info is any different from that on the DOE website. Anyway, that original post is so dumb and we have all seen it before. Its just like the ones about not buying gas for a day, like thats going to change anything!

This whole discussion just leads to the fact that it really doesnt matter where we buy our gas, but we buy too much of it as it is. I'm not sure what the numbers are but Americans are more dependant on oil than any other nation in the world by an astonishing amount!

I thought this site was amusing if not disturdbing at the same time. Most people on here probably hate the type of stuff on this site but the "Detroit Project" is an interesting premise.

Detroit Project

It's also ironic that Under Bush, we imported more Iraqi oil from Iraq in the month before the war than ever before in our history. It's well documented for those clammering for a link. Buy a hybrid... the patriotic thing to do. Or, join Bush and his buds and support GOP oil and auto contributors and go get a gas hog. It's your choice. Did you read the hillarious mpg standards Bush proposed yesterday?

It's also ironic that Under Bush, we imported more Iraqi oil from Iraq in the month before the war than ever before in our history. It's well documented for those clammering for a link. Buy a hybrid... the patriotic thing to do. Or, join Bush and his buds and support GOP oil and auto contributors and go get a gas hog. It's your choice. Did you read the hillarious mpg standards Bush proposed yesterday?

417202[/snapback]

Yeah. I tried to compare them to Clintons, but dammit I am having a hard time locating any.

You won't find any comparison, because Bush is the leader in importing arab oil. Hypocrite that he is.

417241[/snapback]

Again I ask, what programs did Clinton put forward in 8 years to stem oil dependence? What initiatives did he put forward to the car companies to increase gas milage especially on SUV's?

I sure can't find anything he did besides have a brutal foreign policy.

Again I ask, what programs did Clinton put forward in 8 years to stem oil dependence?  What initiatives did he put forward to the car companies to increase gas milage especially on SUV's? 

I sure can't find anything he did besides have a brutal foreign policy.

417245[/snapback]

Really? then you don't care to know. It's so obvious and well documented... don't tell me you need a link. Please.

This whole discussion just leads to the fact that it really doesnt matter where we buy our gas, but we buy too much of it as it is.  I'm not sure what the numbers are but Americans are more dependant on oil than any other nation in the world by an astonishing amount!

I thought this site was amusing if not disturdbing at the same time.  Most people on here probably hate the type of stuff on this site but the "Detroit Project" is an interesting premise.

Detroit Project

417188[/snapback]

I saw two different stations in the past few days doing stories on the cost of gas. In both, they asked SUV drivers what they thought. They all disliked the cost of gas, but said they were not giving up their SUV's.

Oh really? WRONG. Tell me what he didn't do. Clinton put forward the best policy for conservation and technology for better MPG, then Bush trashed it. Look it up.

417352[/snapback]

I am still waiting for the link to that great oil conservation and fuel economy rules.