Thoughts on the state of the Bills

Simon

-If somebody had told me last January that Losman would look like this in August, I would have laughed in their face. I cannot believe the progress the kid has made and I give kudos to Mularkey, Clements, Wyche and JP himself for the termendous strides they've made in the offseason. JP is in complete control of the offense, knows where everybody is and bears no resemblance to a kid taking the NFL reins for his first time. He's doing a great job feeling pressure as opposed to looking at it, finding space and time when he needs to and keeping his eyes downfield where they belong. He's making good decisions as to where to put the ball and when to pull it down if the situation calls for it.

The only fault thing I would tell him is to have a little more confidnce in himself and his reads. A couple times the ball came out a microsecond later than it should have when he seemed to be unsure if he was going to the right place (which he was).

-Very happy with the OLine in general. They gave JP solid protection and created lanes(several of them gaping) for both McGahee and Williams. Watching Peters play LT also made me feel a lot better about the upcoming season as well as the future. He looked much better than I expected him to. The only guy who I'd give the business to would be Tucker, who missed his pickup on JP's only sack and was also beat on the play where JP fumbled.

-Also very happy with what I viewed as the biggest trouble spot on the team, that being the DT rotation. Edwards looked good and if he comes to play every week should be all right next The Keg. Also liked my first look at Tim Anderson. He's got excellent hands, penetrates much better than I thought he would, looked fairly stout taking on a couple doubles and was a thorn in the side of the Colt OLine for much of the night. Fletch was wisely sat down relatively early and then even Crowell made a ton of plays whle the DT rotation continued to keep him clean.

-While I'm thinking of the DLine I also have to say something about Constantine Ritzmann. I don't know who he is or where the hell he came from but he was beating people like a drum all night. I don't know why he doesn't seem to get snaps in the regular rotation, but it seems like every time he steps on the field he ends up climbing all over opposing QB's; they were alos dropping him in zone blitzes and he moved very well in space. I'd really like to see the Bills staff work him in earlier in some preseason games to see how effective he is against starting caliber pros.

-I really really like Shaud Williams and think he's going to be a legitimate contributor to this team for years. But he has got to work on his blocking. He missed several pick-ups vs teh Colts and this is one of the few things that has been a consistent question mark about him since he got here. If he wants to be a relaible #2 or a 3rddown back, he has got to stop committing to his cut so quickly and stand guys up every once in a while.

-I keep hearing mention of Reed dropping another pass, but I didn't see him touch the ball all night. The only time I thought Losman went to him it was one of those plays where he was just a split second late getting the ball out on 3rddown and the defender made a nice play on it before it ever reached the target.

-I've seen a lot of positive commentary about Eric King's camp so far, but it did not translate to the field in his first outing. I won't put much stock in it because most guys struggle the first time they step on a pro field, but King looked lost out there. He seemed to settle down as the 2nd half progressed but still was a consistent target for Indy QB's.

-Who or what is a Tory Woodbury? Wow, what an athlete. The Bills have got to hang on to this kid until they can find a way to use him. From what I understand he can play some QB, but vs the Colts I saw him busting wedge on kick coverage! He also took on a couple guys on punt cover and return teams and looked very tough. Find a place for him Mularkey.

-A nice mention for Goldberry who appears to have what it takes to play in this league, for Leonhard who's a better ballplayer than athlete and will struggle to make this roster but who I really like, for Sape who probably just did make this roster, and for #43 and #46 who showed some nice flashes in their first action.

The offense was a little sloppy with all the penalties and the slow start but at the end of the night I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. JP has a real future (and possibly a real present depending on how he reacts to the blitzes he'll eventually see), the OLine worked very cohesively and did good work for the skill players all night.

The defense is going to hurt a LOT of QB's this year. Dungy wisely pulled Peyton after just one series, Sorgi was bleeding before he left and Travis Brown took a pretty solid beating for a guy who does everything in his power to avoid contact at all costs. With Vincent, Clements and Milloy in the backfield, Jerry Gray may lead the league in called blitzes this season, and they're going to be coming from everywhere on any down or distance. We're bound to get lit up a couple times by vet QB's, but there's a LOT of turnovers and back-up QB's in the Bills future.

All in all I'm more excited about this team and less worried about its weaknesses than I was before I watched them take the field once.

Cya

-I've seen a lot of positive commentary about Eric King's camp so far, but it did not translate to the field in his first outing. I won't put much stock in it because most guys struggle the first time they step on a pro field, but King looked lost out there. He seemed to settle down as the 2nd half progressed but still was a consistent target for Indy QB's.

407971[/snapback]

That's not the impression I got. I thought he closed very well on the ball a number of times and made some good solid tackles. Looked much better than a 5th round pick playing his first NFL game, IMO.

I thought he closed very well on the ball a number of times and made some good solid tackles

I like a guy's ability to close on the ball, but I like it much better when he does it before the pass is completed. :(

From another thread:

Earlier on, he got caught looking the wrong way a couple times, got absolutely torched on a play where Crowell bailed him out (with an uncalled PI :)  ), almost caused a turnover when he backed into his retunman during a faircatch, got caught flat-footed on what turned into a big gianer and then gave up at least a half-dozen completions that I saw. He got a little better as the game wore on but Travis Brown knew he could take 6 yards off him any time he wanted and he continued to do so with relative ease.

I'll chalk it up to firstgame jitters and see how he does now that he's got that behind him.

-I keep hearing mention of Reed dropping another pass, but I didn't see him touch the ball all night. The only time I thought Losman went to him it was one of those plays where he was just a split second late getting the ball out on 3rddown and the defender made a nice play on it before it ever reached the target.

407971[/snapback]

it was the 1st or 2nd drive...on 3rd down losman fired a pass to reed that was low (because it had to be) but very catchable. at first the announcers thought JP had bounced it in there, but then on replay you could see that reed should have made the catch but dropped it.

it has gotten to where i feel sorry for reed. it's obvious he has no confidence in his hands.

great post overall, by the way. i was encouraged by much of what i saw as well.

I like a guy's ability to close on the ball, but I like it much better when he does it before the pass is completed.  :)

From another thread:

408022[/snapback]

That's the kind of skill that can't be taught. The other stuff you mentioned comes with experience.

it was the 1st or 2nd drive...on 3rd down losman fired a pass to reed that was low (because it had to be) but very catchable. at first the announcers thought JP had bounced it in there, but then on replay you could see that reed should have made the catch but dropped it.

That must hve been either while I was coming downstairs to the big TV, or maybe wrestling the remote away from my youngest. :)

That's the kind of skill that can't be taught. The other stuff you mentioned comes with experience.

No arguments there. I was just saying he struggled in a lot of facets in that game in particular, not making any comment on what I think of his future.

Cya

Nice post Simon. You missed a series of very good plays by King in the 3rd quarter (I think they clipped the game you watched right?).

2 other points-

Greer may have had the best game of any Bills player.

Terrance Mcgee looks to have improved a great deal in the off season.

I was thinking that it will be hard for Kevin Thomas to beat  Jabari Greer for the nickel spot position. Jabari is being impressive so far.

Greer and Baker were really great finds.

408041[/snapback]

The Bills should have the best dime package in the league.

Terrance Mcgee looks to have improved a great deal in the off season.

408048[/snapback]

It was only one play, but McGee got burned on a short pass early in the game when he thought the WR was going to in towards the middle of the field after the catch, but instead, he did a spin around towards the sideline for a 20 yard gain.

I'm looking for more consistency from McGee this year at the CB position versus last year, where he was really good in some games and below average in others.

I would point out that as for King, the Colts really liked that Staneford kid and threw to him repeatedly and he just happened to be the guy King was on for most of the night so his name kept coming up. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from his play in that game other than to say he made some plays but also was beaten a few times. He certainly got a work out. As good as our secondary is and as deep as it is, he may have trouble seeing much playing time even though he has a future in the league.

I was thinking that it will be hard for Kevin Thomas to beat Jabari Greer for the nickel spot position. Jabari is being impressive so far.

Forget the nickel, that battle's over. I'm wondeirng if Thomas is going to have a hard time making htis roster.

You missed a series of very good plays by King in the 3rd quarter (I think they clipped the game you watched right?).

Yeah after the D stoned Indy following JP's fumble they went to commsercial and came back to the Bills punting with a couple minutes left in the quarter. That must have been when King strted to come out of his shell a bit. Even after that though the Colts continued to victimize him some. It was almost like he was afraid he couldn't run with #13 so he decided he could have whatever he wanted underneath. QB's/WR's in that league are just too good for that; you show that fear and they will torture you for short gains all day.

I'm not going to take much from the guys first game though. Hardly anybody plays to theri abilities the first time they face NFL competition.

Cya

Thomas is solid. He's not a flashy player or a great athlete but he's always in good position to make a positive play.

What you see is what you get, I don't see him being more than a nickel DB in this league but clearly he's a reliable player.

I do agree that he may not make the final cut but that will happen if King is lights out better than Thomas and shows potential to become more than a dime DB.

Either way is great to have this "problem". Does anyone know when Thomas can begin to practice?

- I will have to wait until Wed to get a good view of all this....but based on what I have seen so far.....

- Our defense is good and DEEP......good enough to make up for games where our rookie QB makes a mistake or two

- Special teams have not dropped off from last year

- The filmroom sessions for JPL have paid off....the indecision that he has throwing the ball is natural and will get better with each passing week....

- AT LEAST HE TAKES CARE OF THE BALL....it is either a completion or he throws it where the defender cant get it......

I feel better and better about this season with every passing week

Thomas is solid. He's not a flashy player or a great athlete but he's always in good position to make a positive play.

Yeah, he seems solid. But the Bills front office has just put together such a good roster that it's going to be really hard to make room for a guy who can't even get on the field. How many DB's can you afford to carry? Are you going to cut Jim Leonhard, or Eric King or Coy Wire to keep a guy who hasn't even been able to play?

It's a tough to make the club in the tub.....

Cya

Forget the nickel, that battle's over. I'm wondeirng if Thomas is going to have a hard time making htis roster.

Yeah after the D stoned Indy following JP's fumble they went to commsercial and came back to the Bills punting with a couple minutes left in the quarter. That must have been when King strted to come out of his shell a bit. Even after that though the Colts continued to victimize him some. It was almost like he was afraid he couldn't run with #13 so he decided he could have whatever he wanted underneath. QB's/WR's in that league are just too good for that; you show that fear and they will torture you for short gains all day.

I'm not going to take much from the guys first game though. Hardly anybody plays to theri abilities the first time they face NFL competition.

Cya

408065[/snapback]

Cool...

One thing I noticed overall is that all of our DB's (except #27 :) ) have really good form tackling technique and break on the ball well.