The Devil has been extended

26-38...........eeeeeeeesssssh 0:)

391076[/snapback]

that's what happens when you make a mistake with your first selection of a head coach. in the donahoe/mularkey era we're 9-7...and it's only going to get better.

I am incredibly torn on TD. On the one hand I think he and Modrak has assembled an incredibly talented team. On the otherhand this incredibly talented team has yet to make the playoffs. I just wonder what comes of Donahoe if the Bills miss the playoffs yet again this season because it is his team and he has had 2 chances to get the right head coach. I like Mularkey and co., but the Bills MUST make the playoffs this year.

No clue what the fuss is about. Name 3 GM's you would rather have. Thats what I thought.

Butler screwed us for several years of the first part of TD's tenure.

As much as I could complain about the Bledsoes, there are more Prices and Henrys that netted us compensation when it didnt work out.

You want to gripe about the Jennings and Williams? How many teams have lost a Jennings or Williams type and still kept competitive. OK, Philly lost Hugh Douglas AND Jeremiah Trotter and Troy Vincent, did it hurt them?

I seriously dont see all the complaints, nothing short of a perfect off season every year would make some of you happy.

I am incredibly torn on TD. On the one hand I think he and Modrak has assembled an incredibly talented team. On the otherhand this incredibly talented team has yet to make the playoffs. I just wonder what comes of Donahoe if the Bills miss the playoffs yet again this season because it is his team and he has had 2 chances to get the right head coach. I like Mularkey and co., but the Bills MUST make the playoffs this year.

391086[/snapback]

Absolutely do NOT agree. You demand the JP led team to go to the playoffs? Nice try, find another team that has the right to demand a playoff berth with a rookie QB.

Next year we MUST go to the playoffs. ABSOLUTELY MUST BE DONE. But not this year. All the excuses are removed next year. This year, JP will have to learn.

Now, I think we will in fact make the playoffs. I love our early season schedule. It would prove to be great for us to have JP have easier games early.

Absolutely do NOT agree. You demand the JP led team to go to the playoffs? Nice try, find another team that has the right to demand a playoff berth with a rookie QB.

Next year we MUST go to the playoffs. ABSOLUTELY MUST BE DONE. But not this year. All the excuses are removed next year. This year, JP will have to learn.

Now, I think we will in fact make the playoffs. I love our early season schedule. It would prove to be great for us to have JP have easier games early.

391141[/snapback]

This team won 9 games with Bledsoe last season. When Mularkey and managment dumped Bledsoe they were saying they could do better than 9 wins and usually more than 9 wins is good enough for the playoffs. I forget what Buffalo News writer said this, but he said the Losman era should not start off with excuses. This is Donahoe's 5th season NO MORE EXCUSES! Now is the time to win.

TD gave TD an...errrr...wait, Ralph gave TD an extension...and since TD is the son of satan, does this make Ralph the brother of satan?

391164[/snapback]

No , I believe it makes him Satan 0:)

391086[/snapback]

Team Building > Talent Collection

Does TD get a free ride this season? Would RW fire him after giving him an extension? Bottom line to Ralph is filling seats. TD has assembled a team that fillls seats. Should that stop, TD would be gone. Winning is nice, filling seats is important.

I think this extension is because Ralph Wilson feels guilty about one of the 2 main reasons TD's rebuilding project is taking so long - Drew Bledsoe (the other being GW, who is probably 100% TD's fault). Mr. Wilson, after all, put a lot of pressure on TD to somehow get Drew in here for 2002 and also to keep trying with him beyond the '02 and '03 seasons.

The GM's of the Patriots, Eagles, and Colts (Polian!) would suffice.

391348[/snapback]

An accurate assessment somehow needs to figure the dumb luck factor being a significant key to the final production under a GM and HC and to simply claim that the final record is simply an analogy to some skill level is not fully accurate.

The Pats are a great example.

Its obvious at least to me that BB is one of the true football geniuses of the NFL. Winning 3 of the last 4 SBs is simply phenomenal and one can even at least credibly try to make the case that the only HC SB record rivaling his, Parcells, should be greatly attributed to the work BB did for Parcells (I say try because like it or not the buck stops with the guy in charge and just as the Pats SB wins are BB's, the Parcells record with BB as a crtical contributor is Parcells).

At any rate as best as I can tell, i really really doubt that the Pats would have even made the playoffs much less win the SB if Bledsoe had remained QB that year. I thnk flat-out a key to the Pats winning it that year and quite likely winning it two of the next three years should be given to Lewis for hitting Bledsoe in away which collapsed his lung, allowed Brady to atep up and the Pats to become a TEAM capable of reeling off their victories.

There are a zillion paradoxes here (for examople, the wounded Bledsoe was essntial to the Pats starting their SB winning run because I doubt that their disaster QB (whoever that was) would have ben able to step up as Bledsoe did and throw the winning TD in relief of an injureed Brady in the AFC chamionsip game in 2001. Without Bledsoe's pedestrian but adequate play that year and without the bizarre application of the tuck rule againt Oak, I doubt the Pats would have won it all that year.

There is simply a credible case to be made that as much of a genius as BB is, that if Boedsoe had not been laid out by Lewis, that they not only would not have made the playoffs that year, but BB would really be assesed by the stinky job he did in Cleveland, by backtracking on hi word and pulling out of his agreement to HC the Jets and moving to NE and then a record of failed results with NE until he was able to make the Bledsoe switch.

Dumb luck is just such a huge factor in determing the outcome which skills bring to any life.

391086[/snapback]

I completely agree, it is time. Notice in the BN artilce that Ralph comments that TD has done a good job, not a great one. It is time for greatness to come, take the next step and prove that all the talent and coaching is gonna pay off. Rookie QB or not

Dumb luck is just such a huge factor in determing the outcome which skills bring to any life.

391372[/snapback]

No offense, FFS (you're still one of the best Bills posters around), but that was a totally ridiculous argument.

I cited 3 GM's who I think are definitely better than TD and who I would rather have managing the Bills and who I think would have gotten us to at least the playoffs in the past 4 years. Those 3 GM's, with their respective teams, have consistently made at least the first round of the playoffs if not beyond.

Luck can be a factor in individual plays, individual games, individual circumstances like injuries, even individual seasons, but over the course of multiple seasons those 3 GM's (and yes, there are several more in the NFL) have shown consistency of excellence; excellence as defined by enough W's to make the playoffs and more per season.

It's the CONSISTENCY of excellence that helps us best define who is good and who is not. CONSISTENCY is the best way to reduce the "luck factor" and let the factors of ability and hard work stand out. And in that regard, TD has proven as a Bills GM so far to be consistently mediocre (he has been occasionally great and occasionaly awful, but overall mediocre).

Of course luck plays a role, but then does that mean no one can ever make a value judgement on GM's, players, coaches, etc.? Are you suggesting that the whole evaluation process is faulty? That it's impossible to determine who is good and who isn't in the NFL (or anything in life, for that matter)? Should we just throw out the whole sum worth of a Super Bowl trophy because all it does is define who was really lucky and who was just unlucky? I guess no one should ever deserve to be fired, either, because they were probably just really unlucky 0:)

The GM's of the Patriots, Eagles, and Colts (Polian!) would suffice.

391348[/snapback]

I love it when people are asked what three GM's they would rather have and the say the GM's of NE, Philly, and Indy. The three GM's that there is no way in hell we would ever get. Don't forget Polian had a falling out with Wilson, so that will never happen again.

How about naming three GM's you would rather have that may be possible to get your hands on. I'm okay with a GM who I consider easily in the top 5.

I love it when people are asked what three GM's they would rather have and the say the GM's of NE, Philly, and Indy.  The three GM's that there is no way in hell we would ever get.  Don't forget Polian had a falling out with Wilson, so that will never happen again.

How about naming three GM's you would rather have that may be possible to get your hands on.  I'm okay with a GM who I consider easily in the top 5.

391506[/snapback]

The dude asked us to name 3 GM's we'd rather have, so I did.

If you think TD deserves to be mentioned among the top 5 GM's in the NFL, then pardon my French, but you are a !@#$ing delusional fan whose homerism is overriding common sense.

TD is an AVERAGE general manager, and if his assembled team cannot make the playoffs this year, he deserves to be fired.

As far as naming potential replacements, I don't know enough NFL management names to even take a guess. But in this current NFL salary cap era, how hard is it to replace mediocrity on par with TD?

I remember reading something like only 6 other teams besides the Bills have not made the playoffs since the 2000 season. Some of those 6 teams included the Bengals, the Cardinals, the Texans, and the Lions. The Jags and Redskins might have been the other 2. What a !@#$ing pathetic state of Bills football to be compared with those other organizations. But apparently this doesn't bother enough fans to the point of demanding playoffs or else for 2005.

If you think TD deserves to be mentioned among the top 5 GM's in the NFL, then pardon my French, but you are a !@#$ing delusional fan whose homerism is overriding common sense.

391555[/snapback]

Because you said so? Oh I see. I certainly can't name 5 I'd rather have. Let me go back to my thumb sucking now. :angry:

I remember reading something like only 6 other teams besides the Bills have not made the playoffs since the 2000 season. Some of those 6 teams included the Bengals, the Cardinals, the Texans, and the Lions. The Jags and Redskins might have been the other 2.

391555[/snapback]

Cincy holds the crown...14 seasons have passed since they were in. That Mike Brown, whatta GM! :angry:

Because you said so? Oh I see. I certainly can't name 5 I'd rather have. Let me go back to my thumb sucking now.  :angry:

391558[/snapback]

You strike me as the type of fan who got excited over the GW press conferences during the 2003 season. You probably believed that the only real problem with the 2003 team was that they just didn't "execute better." Am I right?

Holy stojan, what has happened to the Buffalo Bills fan base?

You strike me as the type of fan who got excited over the GW press conferences during the 2003 season. You probably believed that the only real problem with the 2003 team was that they just didn't "execute better." Am I right?

391573[/snapback]

You strike me as the type of fan who would been have calling for Polian's ouster back in '87, after the Bills finished their 6th straight season without a playoff appearance. And no doubt you would have been calling for Kelly's benching, because he just finished his second losing season. Am I right?

I agree with an earlier poster in this thread who said that making the playoffs in '06 is a must. TD and crew may get a pass this year because of the lack of experience with Losman, but the Bills should make the playoffs in '06 with all the talent they supposedly have on paper.

If TD ends up going 6 years without a playoff appearance, I would think RW would have to seriously consider going in another direction.

Referencing threads from the last couple of months, I don't think you'll see many people who will still say they wouldn't trade our entire organization for another teams if the Bills end up not making the playoffs in either '05 or '06.

391573[/snapback]

You have lots of nice convenient little categories for your different "types of fans" you can scoff at don't you? That's so cute. While you , sure as the rising sun, come up pessimist and negative each time. I think most fans here at some point have realized that you are not actually a Bills fan but get your jollies on being unrealistically critical of the team.

2003 was a mess that begins with the word Gilbride and ended with GW being in over his head.

I agree with an earlier poster in this thread who said that making the playoffs in '06 is a must.  TD and crew may get a pass this year because of the lack of experience with Losman, but the Bills should make the playoffs in '06 with all the talent they supposedly have on paper.

If TD ends up going 6 years without a playoff appearance, I would think RW would have to seriously consider going in another direction. 

Referncing threads from the last couple of months,  I don't think you'll see many people who will still say they wouldn't trade our entire organization for another teams if the Bills end up not making the playoffs in either '05 or '06.

391583[/snapback]

Can we get away from the simplistic perspective of whether we make the playoffs or not. How about if we consider some of the following factors. Is the team showing continual improvement? Are we maximizing our talent under the salary cap? Have we been drafting successfully? What roles did injuries play in our success or failures? Are we able to attract top free agents when they are available? Are we selling out the games, including the all important, revenue producing luxury boxes?

If we had been in the NFC, there is no doubt we would have been in the playoffs last year. Would that make Donohoe a better or worse GM? If we do not make the playoffs this year but continue to show improvement and play well, I will be satisfied.

It is easy to tell the fans that were spoiled by the success of the Marv Levy era and never knew how bad a poorly run organization can be. Believe me, this is one of the better management teams we have ever had. They are not that easy to come by. Look up Stew Barber and Harvey Johnson.

Can we get away from the simplistic perspective of whether we make the playoffs or not.  How about if we consider some of the following factors.  Is the team showing continual improvement?  Are we maximizing our talent under the salary cap?  Have we been drafting successfully?  What roles did injuries play in our success or failures?  Are we able to attract top free agents when they are available?  Are we selling out the games, including the all important, revenue producing luxury boxes?

391596[/snapback]

I'm not sure why using a simplistic measure of success as in how many playoffs appearances a team makes over a six year period is such a bad thing. I think it is pretty indicative of the job that the man leading your football organization is doing.

Yes, injuries can be a major factor and when I say that the Bills should make the playoffs in '06, I'm assuming the team will not be decimated by injury.

I lived through the Stew Barber and Harvey Johnson eras. What's your point? As long as the Bills aren't going 3-13 every year, that TD is doing a good job and all fans should be pleased?

PS If you want to use "continual improvement" as a gauge for success, I would expect that after 6 years that this "continual improvement" would land the Bills in the playoffs.

TD is an AVERAGE general manager, and if his assembled team cannot make the playoffs this year, he deserves to be fired.

As far as naming potential replacements, I don't know enough NFL management names to even take a guess. But in this current NFL salary cap era, how hard is it to replace mediocrity on par with TD?

I remember reading something like only 6 other teams besides the Bills have not made the playoffs since the 2000 season. Some of those 6 teams included the Bengals, the Cardinals, the Texans, and the Lions. The Jags and Redskins might have been the other 2. What a !@#$ing pathetic state of Bills football to be compared with those other organizations. But apparently this doesn't bother enough fans to the point of demanding playoffs or else for 2005.

391555[/snapback]

i challenge you to find ONE respected NFL expert who would agree with your statements. just ONE. your proof must come in the form of a published article from a reputable source (i.e., florio at profootballtalk.com doesn't count).

this is the kind of bullcrap i expect to read from troll fans of other teams. you don't have to worship the ground TD walks on, but ANY fool can see that the bills are in a drastically upgraded position today as compared to where they were when butler left town. the defense has finished #2 for two years in a row. the ST were the best in the league (aside from K) last year. moulds. evans. mcgahee.

i don't call people out unless they deserve it, and you, sir, deserve it. take off your freakishly large helmet and allow your head to breathe.

I'm not sure why using a simplistic measure of success as in how many playoffs appearances a team makes over a six year period is such a bad thing.  I think it is pretty indicitive of the job that the man leading your football organization is doing.

Yes, injuries can be a major factor and when I say that the Bills should make the playoffs in '06, I'm assuming the team will not be decimated by injury. 

I lived through the Stew Barber and Harvey Johnson eras.  What's your point?  As long as the Bills aren't going 3-13 every year, that TD is doing a good job and all fans should be pleased?

PS If you want to use "continual improvement" as a gauge for success, I would expect that after 6 years that this "continual improvement" would land the Bills in the playoffs.

391609[/snapback]

I laid out 6 different factors that I would take into consideration as I assess the job that Donohoe is doing. Let me lay out this scenario. What if we go 10-6 this year but get edged out of the playoffs. What if that also happened in '06 and we had some key injuries and every game is sold out both years. Under your "simplistic" criteria, Donohoe must go.

"My point" is that there are a lot of different assessment factors and yes, I believe that just looking at whether he made the playoffs in the 6 years would be overly simplistic.

I laid out 6 different factors that I would take into consideration as I assess the job that Donohoe is doing.  Let me lay out this scenario.  What if we go 10-6 this year but get edged out of the playoffs.  What if that also happened in '06 and we had some key injuries and every game is sold out both years.  Under your "simplistic" criteria, Donohoe must go. 

"My point" is that there are a lot of different assessment factors and yes, I believe that just looking at whether he made the playoffs in the 6 years would be overly simplistic.

391620[/snapback]

I think it is highly unlikely that in three consecutive years a team could go 9-7, 10-6 and 10-6, yet miss the playoffs all 3 years. That being said, if this highly unlikely scenario happened, I would not be calling for TD's head on a platter.

391555[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't look at only the record to see if TD is doing a decent job or not. I see a lot of good things in the future for the Bills and a lot of that has to do with TD. Things that others mentioned like attendance, the drafts, etc.

This team is on the rise and its not just us "Homer" fans that think so, just look around the national media. They also like where the Bills are going even though many don't think it will happen this year. If you get rid of TD now, we'll be alright for a couple of seasons due to the talent on the current roster, but after that its a crapshoot.

TD's biggest mistake was hiring GW, he went with the guy that had the strongest interview. I can't really blame him for that either, how many of us in management go with the candidate that has the strongest interview? Even the Bledsoe trade was good with respect to fan excitement and such.

And by the way, this "Homer" fan does not see the Bills making the playoffs this year. I'm thinking 9-7 and just missing again.

As a fan of the Bills since 1960, I think it is safe to say that 3 best GM's we have ever had are Bill Polian, John Butler and Tom Donohoe. That means many fans here have never lived through a mediocre General Manager. The only bad times you have seen is when Butler mortgaged the future to take one last run at the Super Bowl. The forward lateral killed that idea.

We have developed a pretty good team here folks. It has holes. Every team in the NFL has holes in the salary cap era. If you can't be optimistic 2 days before training camp opens, why bother.

Who would you rather have as your GM TD or AJ Smith? AJ Smith and the Chargers made the playoffs last year, a year after getting the #1 draft pick. He was Butlers right hand man, and the only person who could have gotten the job from within One Bills Drive.

Who would you rather have as your GM TD or AJ Smith?  AJ Smith and the Chargers made the playoffs last year, a year after getting the #1 draft pick.  He was Butlers right hand man, and the only person who could have gotten the job from within One Bills Drive.

391630[/snapback]

My answer would be TD. If Smith turns the Chargers around for a number of years, I will buy into his talents. Remember Schottenheimer had made a lot of GM's look good by taking some mediocre talent into the playoffs. But you can be sure they wont last long in the playoffs.