Collections and collectibles....

Sweats

Anyone on here collect anything, besides Bills memorabilia?

I am a huge comic book nerd. I've been collecting them for about 40 years and have amassed a collection of about 10,000 books. I've got a lot of solid quality Silver Age and Golden Age books. The collection was assessed 2 years ago by my insurance company to be worth around $100,000, however, the comic market has dropped significantly since then and they are only worth around $50,000 today.

I also have a huge sports card collection including 5 Barry Sanders rookie cards, 5 Emmit Smith rookie cards, a Thurman Thomas rookie card, a Dion Sanders rookie card, etc......i've got a lot of cards.

I would actually like to start selling some of this stuff off, but i don't even know where to start. I can't sell a 10,000 comic book collection on Ebay and i can't sell them off one by one.

I was just going to pass them along to my son, but he wants nothing to do with them.

I'll figure it out.......i always do.

So, what do you guys collect?

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve collected slot cars from the 60’s since I was a kid.  Mainly HO Aurora Thunderjets, but anything that I just liked when I saw it.  Even now, if I find anything at a garage sale I’ll grab it.  My kids have no interest in them.  I’m starting to thin the herd.  Keep the good stuff and sell the ordinary ones.

• Like (+1) 1

I collect lacrosse sticks from the 60's-80's.  I have a collection of about 50 and have restored/re-strung 95% of them.  Some of the rarer plastic sticks can bring several hundred dollars if in good condition.  Like any item, as the players that used these sticks in the 60's, 70's, and 80's get older/too old and die, I think the value may drop as time goes by.  I seem to be seeing that trend in hot rodding and antique boats and motors.  What are you seeing?     

• Like (+1) 1

I collect shot glasses anytime I visit a significant city 

Not exactly collecting but I keep track of every golf course I play and what city it was in on a spreadsheet.  I wish I would have collected a logo ball or logo ballmark from all of these courses but I'm not about to start now 

I do have a bunch of Bills and Sabres memorabilia as well

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Anyone on here collect anything, besides Bills memorabilia?

I am a huge comic book nerd. I've been collecting them for about 40 years and have amassed a collection of about 10,000 books. I've got a lot of solid quality Silver Age and Golden Age books. The collection was assessed 2 years ago by my insurance company to be worth around $100,000, however, the comic market has dropped significantly since then and they are only worth around $50,000 today.

I also have a huge sports card collection including 5 Barry Sanders rookie cards, 5 Emmit Smith rookie cards, a Thurman Thomas rookie card, a Dion Sanders rookie card, etc......i've got a lot of cards.

I would actually like to start selling some of this stuff off, but i don't even know where to start. I can't sell a 10,000 comic book collection on Ebay and i can't sell them off one by one.

I was just going to pass them along to my son, but he wants nothing to do with them.

I'll figure it out.......i always do.

So, what do you guys collect?

I mentioned in the nostalgia thread that I collect Rickey Henderson, and only Rickey Henderson cards. To date I have close to 1930 unique cards of him. I also collect Funko Pops with my wife and together we have a little more than 300 of them together. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, muppy said:

I collect vintage/ antique art glass and cookbooks

at this point I don't buy too much but my 2 collections are both massive

My wife collects a lot of old antique cookbooks......i've never seen the fascination with that, but to each his own, i guess.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Dust. 

Actually I had a vinyl record collection of over 1500 that I sold off recently. I never listened to them.

I've got a fairly substantial vinyl collection sitting in storage. I keep saying i'll buy a record player and start listening to them again, but i procrastinate a lot.....  

22 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I collect shot glasses anytime I visit a significant city 

Not exactly collecting but I keep track of every golf course I play and what city it was in on a spreadsheet.  I wish I would have collected a logo ball or logo ballmark from all of these courses but I'm not about to start now 

I do have a bunch of Bills and Sabres memorabilia as well

Some of my friends collect shot glasses from various places that they have visited.......my son actually collects them as well.

23 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I mentioned in the nostalgia thread that I collect Rickey Henderson, and only Rickey Henderson cards. To date I have close to 1930 unique cards of him. I also collect Funko Pops with my wife and together we have a little more than 300 of them together. 

I have a massive card collection and i can honestly say i don't even have one Henderson card.......if you've got 1900 of them, there's probably not much left for the rest of us....lol.

51 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

I’ve collected slot cars from the 60’s since I was a kid.  Mainly HO Aurora Thunderjets, but anything that I just liked when I saw it.  Even now, if I find anything at a garage sale I’ll grab it.  My kids have no interest in them.  I’m starting to thin the herd.  Keep the good stuff and sell the ordinary ones.

I had a slot car collection when i was a kid (my dad turned me onto them), however, i have no idea where they ever ended up. It's one of those things where you forget about something for a bunch of years and then try to remember what ever happened to them and i honestly have zero idea where they are or where they ended up.

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Some of my friends collect shot glasses from various places that they have visited.......my son actually collects them as well.

Yeah it's a super cheap and easy hobby.  I have a display case for them hanging in my basement.  It's fun to look at them every once in awhile because each one brings back all the memories from the Vacation. 

29 minutes ago, Irv said:

I collect lacrosse sticks from the 60's-80's.  I have a collection of about 50 and have restored/re-strung 95% of them.  Some of the rarer plastic sticks can bring several hundred dollars if in good condition.  Like any item, as the players that used these sticks in the 60's, 70's, and 80's get older/too old and die, I think the value may drop as time goes by.  I seem to be seeing that trend in hot rodding and antique boats and motors.  What are you seeing?     

My brother-in-law collects antique boat motors, for some reason.......i don't get it, but he loves it.

What i've learned over the years is that even if something is old, it doesn't mean it's necessarily valuable unless it has some sort of significance to it.

My rule of thumb for people is do your research......also, old is not always gold.

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yeah it's a super cheap and easy hobby.  I have a display case for them hanging in my basement.  It's fun to look at them every once in awhile because each one brings back all the memories from the Vacation. 

And that is totally relatable cause i have a comic wall displayed in my office at home and i will periodically look at all the books sitting on display and remember the story behind each one that i got.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

HO scale model railroads, specifically the Santa Fe in the "transition era" around 1950 when they were still running steam but also had first-generation diesels. It started quite harmless when my son was young and it was "his" railroad. But the dad took over, and I needed at least one model of every type of steam or diesel locomotive the Santa Fe was running at that time. Most diesels and some steamers are available as mass-market produced "plastic" models. For everything else, you have to resort to brass.

Brass models are handmade, usually in very limited numbers. I have some models of which only 25 copies (or even fewer) exist. Of course, this is reflected in the price. The most expensive Santa Fe HO brass steam engine had a list price of around $2000 when it came out in 2003. If you are lucky enough to find one now, you can expect to pay $2000-2500. Thus, it is not an investment, but al least the kids will get something back when I die.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

I have a similar problem of having a huge collection of comic books that my son doesn’t want, as well as sports cards going back the the 60’s (AFL Jack Kemp), Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, original 12” GI Joes, and my son’s large 1990’s Star Wars collection. For the comic books I’m considering going to my local comic shop that sells back issues and giving them up at a great price. The other stuff I’ll advertise on social media to sell. I just want to make sure the stuff from my childhood goes to someone who’ll appreciate them.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

I have a similar problem of having a huge collection of comic books that my son doesn’t want, as well as sports cards going back the the 60’s (AFL Jack Kemp), Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, original 12” GI Joes, and my son’s large 1990’s Star Wars collection. For the comic books I’m considering going to my local comic shop that sells back issues and giving them up at a great price. The other stuff I’ll advertise on social media to sell. I just want to make sure the stuff from my childhood goes to someone who’ll appreciate them.

Sounds like some of that stuff could have some actual value.  I would get the stuff appraised. 

• Like (+1) 1

I do not collect anything personally myself, my fiance collects magnets for the refrigerator of places we've been. It's kinda fun helping to pick out magnets. I used to have an extensive bourbon collection, but prices are getting too crazy to make it even enjoyable anymore. It used to be really fun buying different bottles and drinking them and trading samples with others. I had a co-worker that every week, we would trade samples in a gerber baby jar (perfect size), since we both had kid(s).  I started last year or the year before that, to give out my bourbon collection as birthday and Christmas gifts. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Just so you're aware, if you bring your "key" comic books to your LCS (local comic shop), they'll only give you anywhere from 30%-50% of the actual value of each book. Their way of thinking is that because they have a shop with overhead, they need to buy low and sell high to turn a profit.....keep a little meat on the bone, so to speak.

Also, any books that the LCS considers "filler" (which are books that have little to no value) will only be bought for 5 cents, maybe 10 cents per book in bulk.

The only way i recommend selling books to a comic shop is if people want to get rid of them fast with very little hassle.

7 hours ago, Sweats said:

I have a massive card collection and i can honestly say i don't even have one Henderson card.......if you've got 1900 of them, there's probably not much left for the rest of us....lol.

I had a slot car collection when i was a kid (my dad turned me onto them), however, i have no idea where they ever ended up. It's one of those things where you forget about something for a bunch of years and then try to remember what ever happened to them and i honestly have zero idea where they are or where they ended up.

Well according to tcdb.com Rickey has about 13,932 unique cards and of all the collectors of his cards in that site I rank 18th overall in collection size.

My grandfather and uncle’s were circus clowns, and did a horizontal bar act from the 30’s-50’s. So I have a pretty large collection of old circus stuff…. Horizontal bars, clown outfits, a ton of stuff they picked up while traveling, and of course more pics than you could imagine. 

My grandmother was also a showgirl during this time, so there is a lot of pics, etc that goes along with that. 

Since I already had way too much, I obviously decided to add to it. 🤷‍♂️

I also have a pretty decent collection of old guns and gun stuff. 

A few months ago I decided it all needed to be seen, so I started building a saloon.  It is now finally all done except for building the bar and hanging some more stuff. 

Way more work than I thought. Lol