Collections and collectibles....

Sweats

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I mentioned in the nostalgia thread that I collect Rickey Henderson, and only Rickey Henderson cards. To date I have close to 1930 unique cards of him. I also collect Funko Pops with my wife and together we have a little more than 300 of them together. 

Huge Henderson fan.   Been trying to find the right time to get his rookie card, but nice versions are a tough get.

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Sounds like some of that stuff could have some actual value.  I would get the stuff appraised. 

I could always just check what they’re selling for on EBay, but like I said I’m more interested in giving them a good home than making money.  I also have a Marx electric train from the 60’s that still works, Major Matt Mason astronauts, a couple of table hockey sets, DC and Marvel action figures, and my son’s Transformers and Ninja Turtles. 

3 hours ago, Sweats said:

Just so you're aware, if you bring your "key" comic books to your LCS (local comic shop), they'll only give you anywhere from 30%-50% of the actual value of each book. Their way of thinking is that because they have a shop with overhead, they need to buy low and sell high to turn a profit.....keep a little meat on the bone, so to speak.

Also, any books that the LCS considers "filler" (which are books that have little to no value) will only be bought for 5 cents, maybe 10 cents per book in bulk.

The only way i recommend selling books to a comic shop is if people want to get rid of them fast with very little hassle.

Understood, I’ve sold to comic shops before. I’ve known one of them for over 20 years, so I wouldn’t mind helping him out with some bargains.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Huge Henderson fan.   Been trying to find the right time to get his rookie card, but nice versions are a tough get.

I got it back in the day from my father. He was shaking his head the whole time he had to pay $20 for a single card. 

24 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I got it back in the day from my father. He was shaking his head the whole time he had to pay $20 for a single card. 

Those were the days huh?   Almost broke down and bought a PSA 8 for $250 dollars at the last card show I was at.    

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Those were the days huh?   Almost broke down and bought a PSA 8 for $250 dollars at the last card show I was at.    

Amazingly how different the hobby is. I do it for fun and don't buy graded cards as it kill my budget.

52 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Amazingly how different the hobby is. I do it for fun and don't buy graded cards as it kill my budget.

It's very different.   A lot of money involved.   It's really just gambling at this point.  I still enjoy it a great deal, but have to watch the wallet and make sure I am responsible with what I buy.   

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Dust. 

Actually I had a vinyl record collection of over 1500 that I sold off recently. I never listened to them.

I would of bought those-  I love vinyl, and I am sure you had some good stuff

Posted (edited)

I collect vinyl, and I have a nice collection.  I also collect cassettes, CDs, and 8 Tracks- but vinyl is my love.

I collect useful nonfiction books and I have a great cookbook collection(actual chefs- no Rachel Ray).

I collect cast iron pans, and tools.

matchbooks.

and of course, anything Bills related.

20 hours ago, Sweats said:

I've got a fairly substantial vinyl collection sitting in storage. I keep saying i'll buy a record player and start listening to them again, but i procrastinate a lot.....  

If you decide to sell your vinyl, I’m quite interested in buying it.

One of my biggest joys in life is digging through record bins for hours, and finding a few gems that I need.

45s are my latest addiction 

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

I have a growing collection of 1970s/1980s vintage hifi components … used to be a bargain of a hobby, but nowadays, top of the line components from certain brands of the era (marantz, pioneer, sansui) can fetch up to 10k … wife always asks me “do you need more speakers?” … of course I Don NEED then, but … 😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I have a growing collection of 1970s/1980s vintage hifi components … used to be a bargain of a hobby, but nowadays, top of the line components from certain brands of the era (marantz, pioneer, sansui) can fetch up to 10k … wife always asks me “do you need more speakers?” … of course I Don NEED then, but … 😂

me too!  I love vintage gear!   I have Marantz, Rega, Technics 1200, Pioneer, Kloss, Onkyo-  I wish I had Sansui!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pete said:

I would of bought those-  I love vinyl, and I am sure you had some good stuff

Mostly classic rock and new wave/alternative. Even a few imports. But most were not in the best shape. I still got a decent price for them. I'm just at the stage of life where I'm letting go of things I hung onto for decades just because. Next to go will be some old school hi-fi gear. Amps and speakers. Even a pro turntable.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Jack Daniels stuff and I've got quite a bit of it. In my collection I have one very rare item that they weren't even aware of existing when I visited the distilleries private section for "Tennessee Squires Association" members only. I spoke with the oldest member of the association when I was there for the second time in 2016... he was 102 years old at the time and sharp as a tack. He remembered seeing what I have back in the mid 30's and couldn't believe there were still any in existence. I had two of them and donated one of them to the association to put in their display case.